• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

heringer

If gyro is so important for you guys, you should really let the developers know. They are a small studio, so it shouldn't be to hard to get their attention. Do they have a Twitter account?

JaynePea

If gyro is so important for you guys, you should really let the developers know. They are a small studio, so it shouldn't be to hard to get their attention. Do they have a Twitter account?

They do indeed!

https://twitter.com/PanicButtonGame/with_replies

(Note: Please, PLEASE do not be assholes about this and demand 60fps in shitty ways, or w/e. These devs are working hard and the last thing they want is the Frame Rate Fuckers going after them.)

Without a sensor bar you'd literally have to calibrate it every few seconds. It's bad enough in a slow paced game like World of Goo.

But the difference between that aiming in BotW/WWHD/Zelda 3DS remakes and DOOM is that DOOM is a FPS where you are always aiming, whereas in Zelda the gyro aiming is only triggered when you hit the button to pull out your bow. Splatoon does this too, which is potentially one of the reasons why it limits your stick aiming to just horizontal, which I personally can't stand. So it's a slightly different setup, but I think still miles ahead of dual analog alone and much more robust than simple pointer controls.

30 FPS and gyro aiming for a fast paced game is not a great combination.
To adress these posts. Doom in PC is played by Steam controller owners with Gyro assistance with good results. So it's not even up to debate if this should be implemented to the Switch version of Doom. "Recalibrating" (which is actually setting a neutral) is not more of an issue than lifting your mouse from the table.

About the 30 fps not working well with Motion Aiming, just let me point you to many Wii first person shooters that controlled really well runing at that frame rate. Even Red Steel 2 which is purely gyro based (IR is just to recalibrate) spends the majority of fights at sub 60 with variable frame rate (which generally is a no no) and it's super precise.

On topic: Is this the most visually complex game on Switch yet?

Post process effects are above anything i can ermember. Also what FPS in mobile devices compara to what we have seen of Doom? Modern Combat 5 is not even close, in terms of visuals.

To those wanting motion aiming: Start hitting social networks accounts of Bethesda and the Dev team politely asking about the option. Is far better to just expend the time typing just in here.

heringer

They do indeed!

https://twitter.com/PanicButtonGame/with_replies

(Note: Please, PLEASE do not be assholes about this and demand 60fps in shitty ways, or w/e. These devs are working hard and the last thing they want is the Frame Rate Fuckers going after them.)

Thanks! If I had a Twitter account I would politely bother them to include gyro aiming, reminding them that some people already do play with gyro on Steam and it is fine (in case they are preparing a "it wouldn't work well with Doom" reply). :p

HeroR

Thanks! If I had a Twitter account I would politely bother them to include gyro aiming, reminding them that some people already do play with gyro on Steam and it is fine (in case they are preparing a "it wouldn't work well with Doom" reply). :p

I have Twitter, but I barely use it except to get messages.

JaynePea

I think it's alright to ask questions, but let's be real folks, it's most likely up to Bethesda what's revealed tech-wise and what's not. So don't badger them constantly or in really mean ways

Si2k78

Being at 30fps, the game is definitely missing out on key frames during glory kills, and the quick sprints leading up to it. But as a whole, this is absolutely incredible. Graphics this pretty have no business running on a portable. I think resulting sales will prove that they made the right choice in terms of what they needed to keep. 30fps is not a game breaking conssession, but gimping the graphics to the point where it would be unrecognizable as a next gen Doom game would have been a disaster for marketing and graphics comparisons with other platforms.

Looks surprisingly good. Though my hands hurt just looking at it being played in handheld mode which kinda defeats the purpose of a buy for me.

Those rubber grips don’t work for you. I’ve used those and a grip someone sent me from Reddit and it’s great for playing handheld. Even laying down.

Hey we're finally gonna get a portable FPS better than Killzone Mercenary. Neat.

I heard a GameStop employee telling a guy just yesterday how great killzone merc was.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
After going from 2K in 4K/60 on PS4 Pro to 2K in ???/30 on Switch, I think I'm down to make the portability compromise on any multiplat that gets a Switch release.

Goddamn, gyro aiming would make this a 100% day one buy for me.

Crazy to see how much more positive on this reveal people in YouTube comments are compared to other places lol

It's like 99% of people outside of GAF are like "wtf how have they done this?!?!"

Verder

Despite not being as good as the one or PS4 version its pretty crazy we went from 3ds to switch on handheld from Nintendo .

I'm so excited for its future and the next

alf717

Looks impressive. If they could pull off gyro aiming at launch or even post launch that would be a plus for me.

sneas78

Banned
Hey we're finally gonna get a portable FPS better than Killzone Mercenary. Neat.
Haha my thoughts exactly !!! KZ is impressive for a handheld still.. I still marvel at it.. Bring it Doom!!!
The gamespot video is the final nail in the coffin that I am getting this game day 1 !!!
I can't believe I'm saying this but it looks comparable to PS4/Xbox one... not as good but close enough .. holy moly!! Awesome job devs!! Brings me back in the day when we got the console version of Mortal Kombat 2 on Snes.

Si2k78

After going from 2K in 4K/60 on PS4 Pro to 2K in ???/30 on Switch, I think I'm down to make the portability compromise on any multiplat that gets a Switch release.

Good points, but the switch version is just another option for gamers now. More options is just better imo.

Kureransu

Crazy to see how much more positive on this reveal people in YouTube comments are compared to other places lol

It's like 99% of people outside of GAF are like "wtf how have they done this?!?!"
that's because on GAF 30 fps "hurts peoples eyes", and is "unplayable". The Game looks ridiculously fast in the videos shown, despite being 30. Everyone who played it says it feels like DOOM, so i don't get all the DOOM and gloom about it. I figured people'd be hyped given the early impression of the game. I will admit i'm a bit shocked at the lack of gyro aiming, though.

OryoN

Damn...A lot of weird comments about gyro aiming in this thread. It's as if the concept is merely experimental or something. It's not just workable, but very effective when properly implemented. I wouldn't expect people who suck at them and/or never gave them a fair shot(you know who you are) to understand.

It wouldn't work close to that level in a constant first person environment.

It's impossible as the Switch doesn't have a sensor bar.

That re-centre the camera button on Splatoon is secretly a recalibrate button.

Imagine having to press that while playing Doom.

There's a few issues with this.

One, the perspective doesn't change anything in regards to how well gyro would work. Not sure where you're pulling that from. If the camera's off from where you want it to be, it's off, doesn't matter if it's behind your character or not.

Second, no, re-centering is not the same as re-calibrating. Rate-gyros, like the ones found in controllers, output voltage based on how fast the gyro is rotating. Whatever's reading the gyro has a calibrated 'center voltage'; that is, what value should indicate 0 movement. The true center voltage of a gyro is fairly sensitive, though, and can change over time during a session, due to factors such as a draining battery or even a change in temperature. This can be observed in Splatoon 2; if you've ever had the camera move at a slow constant rate after some time playing, it's because the center voltage shifted. Simply re-centering won't fix it; the system is actually misinterpreting the gyro's output at this point, and new center voltage needs to be calculated via re-calibration (which can be accomplished by setting the controller down on a flat surface for a few seconds).

That tech rant wasn't directed at you specifically, really, I just see that misconception enough that I wanted to clear it up.

Now, if you're arguing that Doom with pure motion control wouldn't work that well with the tech available in the Switch's controllers, I'd agree - but I don't see anyone saying they want that. If you're saying even gyro-assisted stick aiming wouldn't be feasible when you're aiming 100% of the time, I disagree. I've played through most of Splatoon 2's campaign needing nothing more than the occasional re-center, but if the game didn't arbitrarily lock one of the stick axes, the stick could be used to accomplish re-centering much more seamlessly. Honestly, I think it could work better than Splatoon 2 did.

I do miss the magnetometer of the GamePad, though. That was used to re-center on the fly, which really enhanced the experience.

Was expecting it to be 30 fps, but I am shocked it still runs quite well on the Switch. I would never have really thought it would be possible.

unrealist

Lots of GAF geeks will puke, transit into bloodshot eyes, display symptoms of mild heart attacks, develop a migraine, have severe dizziness when coming into contact with a sub 60fps game. Oh, and if this sub 60fps game was on Switch, more disastrous symptoms will follow upon staring at the imaginary Switch they thought they own. They will shrivel in pain, tremble in cold and will have to find the antidode - their 4K gaming boxes under their blanket.

Or should they just wait for a to emulate an existing game on CEMU at 4K 60fps just to further shit on the Switch? Seriously, so many people are just dumping on the Switch and so many recognisable ones from other Switch bashing threads..

Lots of GAF geeks will puke, transit into bloodshot eyes, display symptoms of mild heart attacks, develop a migraine, have severe dizziness when coming into contact with a sub 60fps game. Oh, and if this sub 60fps game was on Switch, more disastrous symptoms will follow upon staring at the imaginary Switch they thought they own. They will shrivel in pain, tremble in cold and will have to find the antidode - their 4K gaming boxes under their blanket.

Or should they just wait for a to emulate an existing game on CEMU at 4K 60fps just to further shit on the Switch? Seriously, so many people are just dumping on the Switch and so many recognisable ones from other Switch bashing threads..

Look yes! Those pesky shit smeared mongoloids.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
30 was kind of expected. Hoped for 60 but whatever, it looks great and yeah, if you want a truly portable version of Doom I don't see how this version isn't great for that.

That's fucking amazing.

Unrelated, but I hate Frame Rate Fuckers with a passion.
Yep. I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, but who gives a shit in cases like this? We're getting a fully portable version of a game that was released last year and it looks great. Not as good as home console counterparts, but more than serviceable for what it is.

This is definitely a day one buy from me.

Cartho

Sweet bollocks this looks amazing. This is on a tablet. We've come from the 3DS to this guys! Speaking from a purely dedicated handheld PoV, 3DS - Switch is likely one of the biggest generational leaps we've ever seen.

Still think the fact it runs at all, let alone at a fairly solid 30 FPS, while looking as good as it does is staggering. ID tech 6 is some wizardry shit.

Also makes me think 60 FPS games in xb1 will probably be fine at 30 on Switch, which bodes well for other current gen games which run at 60.

Holy crap did anyone catch the load time between levels? It was about 12 seconds, which is way less than I was expecting based on how long it was on PC.

If you look closely you can see they cut it short with a dissolve. Other videos show it has 40+ second load times.

Also, I'm guessing you meant on other consoles because the load times are pretty short on PC. I was literally just playing it and the longest I had to wait was 10 seconds.

If you look closely you can see they cut it short with a dissolve. Other videos show it has 40+ second load times.

Also, I'm guessing you meant on other consoles because the load times are pretty short on PC. I was literally just playing it and the longest I had to wait was 10 seconds.

Ah crap I missed that, that would have been an extremely pleasant surprise.

And my laptop isn't the best, it was basically around a minute for most loading between levels in my experience.

jackal27

Banned
Genuinely disappointed about 30fps for this game in particular, but it still looks amazing. Going to be a tough call when it comes out.

Most people don’t care imo. Before I became a bigger nerd, I wouldn’t have been able to tell you shit about frame rates and which games had what issues. I hear about Skyrim on ps3 here and while I can see the issues now, I had no idea back then and really didn’t care. Morrowind on Xbox is probably my favorite game of all time and that one was supposed to be pretty bad too from what I heard. I remember the crashes, but nothing else graphic-wise. I removed everything else about the game though, such a masterpiece. I kind of miss it. Ignorance is bliss kind of thing.

Top Bottom