• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Regarding suburban subsidization;

Here's a good article, and from a right leaning publication:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/urbs/we-have-always-subsidized-suburbia/

What image springs to mind when you picture “federally subsidized housing”? Most people imagine a low-income public housing tower, a homeless shelter, or a shoddy apartment building.

Nope—suburban homeowners are the single biggest recipient of housing subsidies. As a result, suburbs dominate housing in the United States. For decades, federal finance regulations incentivized single-family homes through three key mechanisms:

1. Insurance
  2. National mortgage markets
  3. New standards for debt structuring
The housing market hides these details from the typical home buyer. As a result, most people are unaware of these subsidies. But their effects are striking—they determined the location and shape of development across America for generations.

A New Deal to Restore the Housing Industry

Debt has a negative connotation these days. Credit cards, student loans, and auto loans are the anchors that keep many Americans in debt for most of their lives. Meanwhile, we view mortgages very differently—they are seen as an investment, a symbol of adulthood, and a sign of financial stability.

This was not always the case. In the early 1900s, mortgages were just like any other kind of debt. Nowadays payments are spread out over decades, but back then they came due all at once after a few years. Most people didn’t have enough cash at the end of the term. It was standard to pay back some and negotiate a new loan for whatever they still owed.

This worked fine while the economy was booming, but investors refused to renew the loans after the 1929 stock market crash. Homeowners missed payments and foreclosure rates doubled. The housing industry collapsed, taking the economy down with it.

New Deal policymakers realized that restoring the economy depended on restoring the housing sector. In 1934, they created the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) with two key mandates:

1. Revive the housing market, and
  2. Make homeownership attainable for more Americans
In pursuing these goals, the FHA determined the design, structure, and location of new private development. In turn, it made suburbia the dominant form of housing in the United States.

This particular requirement is very important:

FHA rules had implicit and explicit hierarchies of what homeowners ought to want. They had two key purposes: to stimulate the economy, and to constrain the market to only good investments. These goals—plus the social assumptions of the time—were reflected in the FHA’s evaluation of a mortgage. The standards included:

• Large, new homes were given a higher score, because they increased demand for labor and materials. Older homes with small spaces didn’t create demand for new furniture. Features like long hallways and steep staircases lowered the rating, because they prevented easy moving of furniture.
  • Homogeneity of neighboring housing stock was believed to indicate stable housing prices. To get the max score on the FHA evaluation, the manual preferred that a house be a part of “a sparsely developed new neighborhood … completed over the span of very few years.”
  • The ideal house had “sunshine, ventilation, scenic outlook, privacy, and safety,” and “effective landscaping and gardening” added to its worth. The guide recommended that houses should be set back at least 15 feet from the road, and well-tended lawns that matched the neighbors’ yards helped the rating.
  • The manual had strict definitions for how streets should be built.
  • It prescribed minimum street widths and other specific measurements.
  • It recommended a hierarchical network, with a major arterial roads interlaced with smaller streets. The idea was to separate through traffic and enable efficient circulation.
  • It saw cul-de-sacs as the most desirable home locations, because they were most isolated from foot and auto traffic coming from outside of the neighborhood.
  • The guidelines favored auto- rather than transit-oriented development. The idea was that this would increase demand for cars, which were a growing part of American manufacturing.
  • The manual emphasized that suburbs must be arranged to promote strict separation of land uses
  • Multi-use districts with “commercial, industrial, or manufacturing enterprise” were seen to threaten residential value. So the FHA simply did not provide insurance for units where the first floor was a shop with residences above for most of the agency’s lifetime.
  • Development like what you see in Greenwich Village and other traditional neighborhoods in East Coast cities could not get an FHA loan. (These rules only changed in 2015.)
  • “There would be no corner groceries; if there were any stores at all, they would be grouped into a single shopping center,” wrote Tom Hanchett in The Other “Subsidized Housing.”

Last edited:

dolabla

5 min of searching Threads started by BDS..

2e1ao9e.jpg

This is a person to respect?
Take life advice from?
Take ANY advice from?

And sadly, impressionable people will read what this person writes over there with no understanding of this person's mental health issues and obsession with victimhood and agree.
She/He will get all the little ass-pats she needs to continue being a mess

Yikes!
Had to do my best RE impersonation

That forum is littered with some extremely delusional/mentally deranged idiots.

Last edited:
Yikes!
Had to do my best RE impersonation

That forum is littered with some extremely delusional/mentally deranged idiots.
Ya know, looking back at that screen cap I didn't notice it was an under age girl. Under age or underdeveloped adult because they are still at home living up stairs. Walking down stairs and literally shaking.

Honestly, I hope she gets help because she needs it. And I hope if she doesn't realize it, someone close to her does.

We can be beaten, raped, and killed

Huh? What? No... but you do have to PROVE exactly who did it. Did they "LET" OJ kill Nicole? No! But they couldn't prove he did it. Way different then letting him do it.

And wtf is this "WE" shit? She is still alive right? How did they kill her? Or is it this group "living thru others experience" thing?

Has anyone else noticed they only want to coat tail the tragedies of others? They raped us! They killed us! They suppressed us!

You never meet anyone that say "I am a Heisman Trophy Winner" because they are also a Black Man just like Reggie Bush. They are never a former N.L. MVP because they are a White Man and Mormon.

The good individual stuff stays with the individual. But the tragic stuff is group experience. How many times has she died by now:unsure:

Like I said I hope she gets help because she's living in a false reality where the world knows who you are and hates you. When she removes herself from her privileged sheltered life and realizes that the whole world doesn't even know she exists and doesn't care, she's really gonna crack.

Kagey K

Banned
Ya know, looking back at that screen cap I didn't notice it was an under age girl. Under age or underdeveloped adult because they are still at home living up stairs. Walking down stairs and literally shaking.

I’m not sure how she can be under age if she is the oldest. The other post said her oldest brother just graduated college.

Based on the information given in that other post she is likely in the 23 -25 range.

dolabla

Honestly, I hope she gets help because she needs it. And I hope if she doesn't realize it, someone close to her does.

Huh? What? No... but you do have to PROVE exactly who did it. Did they "LET" OJ kill Nicole? No! But they couldn't prove he did it. Way different then letting him do it.

And wtf is this "WE" shit? She is still alive right? How did they kill her? Or is it this group "living thru others experience" thing?

Has anyone else noticed they only want to coat tail the tragedies of others? They raped us! They killed us! They suppressed us!

You never meet anyone that say "I am a Heisman Trophy Winner" because they are also a Black Man just like Reggie Bush. They are never a former N.L. MVP because they are a White Man and Mormon.

The good individual stuff stays with the individual. But the tragic stuff is group experience. How many times has she died by now:unsure:

Like I said I hope she gets help because she's living in a false reality where the world knows who you are and hates you. When she removes herself from her privileged sheltered life and realizes that the whole world doesn't even know she exists and doesn't care, she's really gonna crack.

I didn't notice that either. If she is really an underage girl, then yeah someone definitely needs to get her help. For one, get her off that negative ass site called ResetEra. The place breeds negativity. Nobody should be asking help from that place. It's last place you should ever do that.

The “we” talk demonstrates the hive mind mentality. They latch on to others experiences and equates it to themselves.

I’m not sure how she can be under age if she is the oldest. The other post said her oldest brother just graduated college.

Based on the information given in that other post she is likely in the 23 -25 range.
Ok then she is a legal adult. But still a child in experience. She hasn’t left home yet.

But regardless I still hope she realizes and seeks help. When she does leave the next, the world will be way darker than she can even imagine.

Helios

At least now we know why some of them are so aggressive towards everyone not sharing their beliefs 100% and why they cannibalize each other. They feel like they're being attack by everyone, even people that are actually on their side.
The paranoia is actually astounding, especially since we're talking about America. I wonder how he/she would feel if they were to travel to a country like Russia or God forbid, a middle-eastern one. To quote Jonathan Pie
We live in the most inclusive, progressive, diverse, prosperous society ever in human history and yet we behave like we never had it so fucking bad
I do hope that he/she gets some help. Assuming that half of the people you meet are putting on a face friendly face while actually wanting to kill you is not a healthy way to live.

edit:
I don't even need to click on the link. I can just hover over to see the title and that gives me a glimpse at the "unbiased" threads they have.

Last edited:

Shmunter

2e1ao9e.jpg

Take life advice from?
Take ANY advice from?

And sadly, impressionable people will read what this person writes over there with no understanding of this person's mental health issues and obsession with victimhood and agree.

Victim hood is what the Nazis used as justification for their war crimes. The Germans were the ‘oppressed victims’.

The Jews in particular were seen as a 5th pillar responsible for the oppression of the German people. The rhetoric was that they will keep on oppressing the people unless something is done, and the rest is history. ‘We’re not evil, we are fighting evil’

The far left is using this playbook to a tee, it’s quite remarkable really. If these extremists got an upper hand in the world somehow, bad things would happen to those that aren’t part of the solution.

Last edited:

Mochilador

2e1ao9e.jpg

Take life advice from?
Take ANY advice from?

This person has some serious mental health problems. So much drama.
Kinda explains why they are so aggressive.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
imagine those guys on era - no looks, no humour, no chance to ever get a girl in their lifetimes

Kagey K

Banned
What's funnier than triggered liberals? Triggered Canadian liberals.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ontario-government-guts-osap-ontario-student-loan-program.94187/

I can't even highlight it. These comments are just from the first page alone. You have to read them all and see how insane the Ontario left is.

d0YIgdY.png
The pathetic thing about this is that Canadian Conservatives are almost as left as some center liberals in the US.

People in Canada want Canadian politics to be more interesting so they try to paint the liberals and conservatives in the same corner as the Republicans and Democrats.

In reality they are both so close to center that they would be banned from Resetera and Kiwifarms for not being right/left enough.

You can get enough in student loans federally, that you don’t need them on a provincial level, and with federal loans you don’t have to start paying them back until you make over 30k a year. Until then they are interest free.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Victim hood is what the Nazis used as justification for their war crimes. The Germans were the ‘oppressed victims’.

The Jews in particular were seen as a 5th pillar responsible for the oppression of the German people. The rhetoric was that they will keep on oppressing the people unless something is done, and the rest is history. ‘We’re not evil, we are fighting evil’

The far left is using this playbook to a tee, it’s quite remarkable really. If these extremists got an upper hand in the world somehow, bad things would happen to those that aren’t part of the solution.
Wow, what an intriguing correlation, seeing and describing yourself as a victim in a political environment. THis is truly unprecedented outside of nazism.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned

And to make things even more revelant.

Adolph Hitler himself issued a decree confescating the guns of the jews and banning their access to firearms in 1936, like the left wish to do today.

mekes

They're melting down pretty hard about Louis CK's dark comedy: https://www.resetera.com/threads/lo...o-jerk-off-and-i-dont-like-being-alone.94193/

Unsurprisingly, they think jokes about minorities should be off limits in comedy, lol. You're a piece of shit if you do so.

They will actually move the goal posts of comedy as a whole just to reinforce a point that Louis CK is desperate, is not funny and is a nazi now. The level of discourse on era is amongst the most pathetic I’ve ever seen on any forum. You can take Louis’ joke about the plane hitting the world trade centre and put a Resetera member as the butt of that joke. Going by that thread and the last one on him, you’d have to turn on Children’s TV to find an appropriate comedy sketch.

Kids these days are just..... nnnnyeah....

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
They will actually move the goal posts of comedy as a whole just to reinforce a point that Louis CK is desperate, is not funny and is a nazi now. The level of discourse on era is amongst the most pathetic I’ve ever seen on any forum. You can take Louis’ joke about the plane hitting the world trade centre and put a Resetera member as the butt of that joke. Going by that thread and the last one on him, you’d have to turn on Children’s TV to find an appropriate comedy sketch.

Stop trying to appropriate children's culture, you effin Nazi!!

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Wow, what an intriguing correlation, seeing and describing yourself as a victim in a political environment. THis is truly unprecedented outside of nazism.
You know, i read that in this voice.

latest

And also this.

giphy.gif

Great audience you have there, Yoshi.

Yoshi

You know, i read that in this voice.

latest

And also this.

giphy.gif

Great audience you have there, Yoshi.
Are you talking about yourself? I'm truly wondering, because you are part of the audience. As I understand you gifs, the comic characters in question are not my audience, even in your described imagination.

Yoshi

What does this even mean
It means it is a stupid analogy to pick some very common political tool that happens to be used by nazis (and countless other groups) in order to paint a group allegedly applying that tool as equivalent to nazis.

What's funnier than triggered liberals? Triggered Canadian liberals.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ontario-government-guts-osap-ontario-student-loan-program.94187/

I can't even highlight it. These comments are just from the first page alone. You have to read them all and see how insane the Ontario left is.

d0YIgdY.png

Are you perfectly fine with the idea of cutting education benefits for low income families? Do you just get giddy at the prospect of people being fucked over?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It means it is a stupid analogy to pick some very common political tool that happens to be used by nazis (and countless other groups) in order to paint a group allegedly applying that tool as equivalent to nazis.

So you agree that labeling anyone right of extreme left ideologies as well as Trump, Nazis is well, stupid?

Shmunter

But is it stupid? What other time have we seen a masss movement of such baseless victim culture all the way from the top politicians, through mass media, and small time journalists attempting to influence sub cultures like gamers?

There is a culture war at hand, spearheaded by the far left utilising victim hood propaganda to demonise descending oppinion. Hate is deliberately made to blossom under the guise of virtue. Hate is easy if you feel justified.

Last edited:

Yoshi

So you agree that labeling anyone right of extreme left ideologies as well as Trump, Nazis is well, stupid?
Yes. With Trump, he is a far right ideologue. I wouldn't say Nazi, but he is a right extremist and this is sufficiently close to Nazism that I wouldn't call it stupid.
But is it stupid?
Yes.
What other time have we seen a masss movement of such baseless victim culture all the way from the top politicians, through mass media, and small time ournalists attempting to influence sub cultures like gamers?

There is a culture war at hand, spearheaded by the far left utilising victim hood propaganda to demonise descending oppinion allowing for Hate to blossom under the guise of virtue. Hate is easy if you feel justified.
Basically every civil war ever.

Redneckerz

Are you talking about yourself? I'm truly wondering, because you are part of the audience. As I understand you gifs, the comic characters in question are not my audience, even in your described imagination.
You aren't really reading sarcasm very well do you. I picked Jimmy because his phrasing build ups are similar to your quoted post.

That's it. And i picked Kyle Schwartz because well, he is called Schwartz as in German naming and he tends to be nitpicky.

Just like you.

You may want to step away from the computer screen for now and contemplate as to why you found it a good idea to respond seriously to an obvious satirical post.

Yoshi

You aren't really reading sarcasm very well do you. I picked Jimmy because his phrasing build ups are similar to your quoted post.

That's it. And i picked Kyle Schwartz because well, he is called Schwartz as in German naming and he tends to be nitpicky.

Just like you.

You may want to step away from the computer screen for now and contemplate as to why you found it a good idea to respond seriously to an obvious satirical post.
Because I was puzzled as to what you wanted to say. Not knowing South Park (well) probably played a role there.

Redneckerz

Because I was puzzled as to what you wanted to say. Not knowing South Park (well) probably played a role there.
Jimmy always starts with ''Wow, what a terrific audience'' and then builds further.

Its best to stick to your stereotype and have peace with the idea that Germans aren't funny.

dolabla

More South Park incoming. ResetEra:

:p

They have their new target, Ronda Rousey: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ro...inting-and-problematic-decision-by-nrs.94189/

Already several bans for transphobia, along with conspiracy rehortic, etc.

Look at page 12. I can't even........... :lollipop_beaming_smiling:

Trigger Warning: Horrible Offensive Biological Facts:

Fox, who became the first openly transgender athlete in the history of MMA when she came out last year, has won 5 of her past 6 matches.

However, Women’s Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey says she won’t take on Fox, because she doesn’t think there is an “undo button” on gender.

Rousey said: “In Fallon Fox’s case, I think she does have an unfair advantage.

“It’s a case by case scenario thing. I’ve tried to research it a lot.

“I feel like if you go through puberty as a man it’s something that you can’t really reverse. You can’t just reverse that, there’s no undo button on that."

Oh no, someone stating the fact that hormones don't cause bones and other hard tissues to magically change to be of the other sex. Science is transphobic apparently.

Meccs

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What a glorious time we live in..

I can watch a GIANT trans lady smash tiny little chicks in Burqas all in the name of EQUALITY!

mounceyhandball_env.jpg

Yeah, if I'm a chick I am not setting foot in the ring with an Ex-dude.

Didn't they finally ban the Australian player after they snapped one woman's leg in half and gave concussions to several others?

Took them long enough.

Last edited:

mekes

I am one of them for suggesting "real" woman fighting a man that changed his gender to female might not be a good idea. And I don't even like Ronda, it was just a general thought about health and all.

I saw your post and thought it was a fair comment.

But Resetera.

Redneckerz

Well that Sharona sure had an interesting link. Its also in Dark Mode by default and there is no option to change it, so for me its already a terrible place.

Good to know there is a porn section. That's surely what a next-gen GAF successor should have :/

Also waiting for new page so i can show something off.

Redneckerz

Sharona was the first spambot I've actually seen with my own eyes, and it was only for a moment. Mods are really on top of things! :messenger_beermugs:
I saw her aswell and i was about to report her.

18 minutes since posting before she was dealt with. I think mods can do better. ;)

Yes. With Trump, he is a far right ideologue. I wouldn't say Nazi, but he is a right extremist and this is sufficiently close to Nazism that I wouldn't call

I'm old enough to remember when what Trump says was considered center-Left. And I'm in my early twenties.

Jesus Christ read a book about history, and no going to a "history class" today absolutely does not count.

The world did not begin in 2014.

Last edited:

dolabla

Trigger Warning: Horrible Offensive Biological Facts:

Oh no, someone stating the fact that hormones don't cause bones and other hard tissues to magically change to be of the other sex. Science is transphobic apparently.

LMAO. They'll have no members left if they keep this shit up.

It's fucking pathetic.

Mods getting triggered that someone called them out on abuse of power:

OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION
Stop derailing this thread with your opinions on moderation. Further posts of this nature will be moderated. Members attempting to rationalise or dismiss the impact of transphobic rhetoric will also be moderated. Members attempting to learn something and broaden their understanding of transgender athletes in professional sports should do so without engaging in transphobic rhetoric.

Lol, so how does one "engage" when you're as sensitive as they are and everything is considered offensive rhetoric? This website gets me everytime man.........

I am one of them for suggesting "real" woman fighting a man that changed his gender to female might not be a good idea. And I don't even like Ronda, it was just a general thought about health and all.

Yep, that sounds about right. No serious discussions allowed.

Fox Mulder

A perfectly valid view to have. Their site is ran by trans admins though.

It's insane that a grown adult male can transition and be allowed to compete against women in combat sports.

What a glorious time we live in..

I can watch a GIANT trans lady smash tiny little chicks in Burqas all in the name of EQUALITY!

mounceyhandball_env.jpg

Yeah, if I'm a chick I am not setting foot in the ring with an Ex-dude.

Holy shit, one of her thighs is bigger than her opponents' waists.

RedVIper

Banned
Yes. With Trump, he is a far right ideologue. I wouldn't say Nazi, but he is a right extremist and this is sufficiently close to Nazism that I wouldn't call it stupid.

What exactly has Trump done that you would consider any were close to Nazism?

Papa

Banned
Mods getting triggered that someone called them out on abuse of power:

Lol, so how does one "engage" when you're as sensitive as they are and everything is considered offensive rhetoric? This website gets me everytime man.........

Yep, that sounds about right. No serious discussions allowed.

OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION

images

Yoshi

I'm old enough to remember when what Trump says was considered center-Left. And I'm in my early twenties.

Jesus Christ read a book about history, and no going to a "history class" today absolutely does not count.

The world did not begin in 2014.
I am 31 and I cannot remember a time where anything that Trump does would have been considered center-left. Or center. I wonder when from 1999 till now any of Trump's policies would have been considered left leaning. Please provide examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom