• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiki_

Banned
giphy.gif

Except they haven't. I mean take Shiki for example. They return and do nothing but make petty claims of "neogaf has gone down the shitter" and "this place is an alt right haven" with reckless abandon.

I don't say that. It happen I don't think highly of this forum, or about the people are here.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I have been a long time lurker of Neogaf and I was lurking in ResetEra too. I made a couple of posts in a particular thread and got a 2 week ban for my opinion.

I never took notice of the ban situation on old GAF and new Era but I found a site called Kiwi Farm and ..... my eyes have been opened wide. I never realised there were so many crazy ppl and mods on old GAF and ERA. The ban reasons on ERA are insane and I understand many of their mods were mods on old GAF.

I don't think I'll return to ERA. I think I'll stick with new GAF and it's smaller community.

I hope I don't get in trouble for what I just said.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't say that. It happen I don't think highly of this forum, or about the people are here.

Pardon, it appears part of my message was accidentally deleted. I fixed it.

I have been a long time lurker of Neogaf and I was lurking in ResetEra too. I made a couple of posts in a particular thread and got a 2 week ban for my opinion.

I never took notice of the ban situation on old GAF and new Era but I found a site called Kiwi Farm and ..... my eyes have been opened wide. I never realised there were so many crazy ppl and mods on old GAF and ERA. The ban reasons on ERA are insane and I understand many of their mods were mods on old GAF.

I don't think I'll return to ERA. I think I'll stick with new GAF and it's smaller community.

You have to try to be banned on GAF these days. As long as you aren't breaking the rules and attacking members, you should be fine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You know what I do with forums I don't think highly of, or the people on them, I don't visit let alone interact.

I know it's a tough concept in today's climate, especially when one tries (keyword try because it does get the better of us, we're not infallible) to live a humble life and doesn't feel their opinions are more important than others as they attempt to look down on.

Last edited:

Shiki_

Banned
Member reply banned from thread.
You know what I do with forums I don't think highly of, or the people on them, I don't visit let alone interact.
I'm aware about my pathethic approach. But is more pathethic whine about other forums, don't you think?

No God no...welcome back to a place you can have an open a logical conversation without being labeled a sexist/myso because you have an opinion that differs from the mods

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm aware about my pathethic approach. But is more pathethic whine about other forums, don't you think?

It is consolidated to one thread put into the least active (I think) community on this site. I do not think there's any harm to have a thread dedicated for people to vent their frustrations or laugh at some of the silliness that way it doesn't bleed into every other one. People were only shown one side of the narrative and now they're starting to open their eyes that there may be another perspective, especially when the authoritarianism that was here has resumed and totally destroyed their mission statement from the beginning.

This is actually more of a tame critical thread, than some of the others out there about that place. People have a right to criticize when they feel wronged. However the difference is, this site allows it and that site doesn't.

Last edited:

dolabla

Welcome back! This place is way more chill now. We just want to have some fun and talk. There's no purity tests here like that other site :)

sol_bad

Thanks for the welcomes. I noticed quite a few of the old off-topic community threads I had as "watched" were closed. Was this just part of starting things afresh?

It's Jeff

Banned

GAF has been becoming a lot more active in the past few months as well. It's great to see! Some perspectives are being more ardently supported than others right now, but it's a pendulum still coming to balance.

What bothers me about the joint next door is losing the purpose of diversity and inclusion. Why rally around having different people and backgrounds come together and then cull them for not believing the same things? We become stronger and better from drawing from our differences.

Papa

Banned

Congrats! Your critical faculties are still intact. Welcome.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GAF has been becoming a lot more active in the past few months as well. It's great to see! Some perspectives are being more ardently supported than others right now, but it's a pendulum still coming to balance.

What bothers me about the joint next door is losing the purpose of diversity and inclusion. Why rally around having different people and backgrounds come together and then cull them for not believing the same things? We become stronger and better from drawing from our differences.

Well said.

Kadayi

Banned

No. This is a thread for people who actively post here to occasionally discuss the slow car crash that is Resetera and what's going on there. The thread was set up to be a catch-all for those who want to talk about Era because of the subject bleed that was happening in other threads. It's no different from people who want to talk football. You on the other hand, apparently have no interest in contributing to this site in a positive manner. I honestly can't think of anything more pathetic than hanging around a place you clearly have no desire to be.

dream

I rather like the name “The Little Helper.” There’s something so succinct and perfect about it.

Last edited:

recma12

Late-stage participation trophy culture. All the coddled children who never learned to accept no for an answer are now in their early 20s and trying to engage in political discussions where everyone who doesn’t share their world view looks like a Nazi. Their impotent bleating about alt-right, 4chan and the_donald — which are synonymous with Nazis to them — is downright hilarious and makes my inner troll want to provoke them more.

Thing is, not a lot of them seem to stem from wealthy families that send their kids to Montessori schools and feed them organic stuff.
No idea how it is in America, but here in Germany progressives, liberals and the likes are mainly rich.

There are tons of threads on ERA where people complain about unemployment, living at home at age 35, working shitty jobs or having to pay of student loans. I also notice a lot of posts where people say they're too broke to buy a game.

Not saying that being broke or having a rough time makes you a bad person, it's just these posters that pretend to know exactly how stuff like taxes or economics work.

Papa

Banned
Thing is, not a lot of them seem to stem from wealthy families that send their kids to Montessori schools and feed them organic stuff.
No idea how it is in America, but here in Germany progressives, liberals and the likes are mainly rich.

There are tons of threads on ERA where people complain about unemployment, living at home at age 35, working shitty jobs or having to pay of student loans. I also notice a lot of posts where people say they're too broke to buy a game.

Not saying that being broke or having a rough time makes you a bad person, it's just these posters that pretend to know exactly how stuff like taxes or economics work.

It’s not just the rich kids that have grown up in participation trophy culture though.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
What is the correct terminology if not transgenderism? I can’t even keep up anymore.
The correct term escapes me for the moment (But thats more because i have more important priorities at the moment, but i do know that calling it a ism is incorrect.)

Its a bit like that being offended at naming people females - Why do you think regular Joe's don't make this such an issue despite it (potentially) being an incorrect usage of the term? Its because in the end its a tale of two semantics, and in regular daily life, (most) people don't get worked up over semantics this much. That's why most people react to that thread with awe, because imagine making this kind of a fuss in real life in a crowd. That's why its redelegated to a place where The Names and their Little Helpers can give this kind of thing a podium*.

*And that's ignoring the fact that the OP is textbook low-effort, which is against their own rules anyway. So to me, the pretense of that thread seems clear: A ban honeypot thread. As is evidenced by the counting number of bans. A shining example of a Little Helper working together with The Names for culling purposes.

I'd know it already by what she said, and also the fact she liked my post.
Its a shame her intentions aren't around having a contributive discussion, like i said i explained my stance, i went ahead and edited my post based on her feedback as a matter of empathy, so its disappointing for me that her intents aren't around contributing discussion, but just to be anti-GAF every step of the way and calling it ''I am just making fun of all of you.''. Its unneeded. Its the kind of ''cancer'' she is so against.

They moved on, as in they don't have a thread like this.

They've already blossomed in terms of being used as a source by news outlets and even in terms of Alexa ranking. We used to be in that position here.
Ahem. (It got locked anyways, but yeah.) I was going to use this for another post, but well, guess ill have to use it here then. I know, its not a dedicated thread but we get our own fair share of critique from ERA aswell. Ill probably detail this later.

Furthermore, i have explained a few times why this thread exists, so if you want, i can point to these posts. I can't and won't speak for others here, but atleast my intention with this thread is to provide nuance and context and explainations into the how and why. To lend a voice to the screech, sort to say. And that also should include the more positives of ERA. I know that this thread is heavily focussed on the negatives of that place, often with righteous reasons, but i like to have a more moderate stance in this. I geniunely think both sites could even work together one day. I think there are wonderful people and threads on ERA which simply get overshadowed by the rather strenous policy line that walks there.

I think in this its also important to view GAF's role in this aswell. Many ERA users have not checked on GAF since the exodus, and as such they maintain a view that is hard to change. I am not going to say that some of their criticisms aren't invalid, but i do like to stress that these are predominantly focussed on either OldGAF or Evilore as a person. Now, the former is gone here, as most of those folk are now around ERA. (And that does not mean all OldGAF members were questionable, lets not forget that.) As for Evilore as a person: I can't change that view they have over him. That is a thing only Evilore himself can change, and i think everyone here knows how difficult that kind of thing is, with the history OldGAF has accumulated over time.

All we can do, aside from properly criticizing instead of quick oneliners, is to turn GAF into something more positive. Because lets be real: Does anyone really want GAF to be this tower of negativity and complaints, with 1.5 eye focussed on others and the past instead of both eyes towards the future?

I am certain that as more people get permed by The Names, people will come back here (Or join Bore/Voat/Kiwi/Slaent). Some will feel welcome here, and others will criticize this place. This thread. Evilore himself. This is a thing that one can expect, and also one should welcome. Its up to each one of us to highlight and demonstrate GAF 2018. This goes for members and moderators alike. The ambiance should be one of being approachable, not being restrictive.

I rather like the name “The Little Helper.” There’s something so succinct and perfect about it.
There is an upgrade program too, where if you help long enough, you will be rewarded the moderator title. I actually like that they have a perk system in place. For all the wrong reasons, mind you, but the idea of a perk system is something that could be adapted.

Last edited:
I didn't even realize that excelsiorelf was a mod on the other forum. Good thing I only really participate in one or two threads over there, they'd probably ban me just for being on the forum in the first place.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I didn't even realize that excelsiorelf was a mod on the other forum. Good thing I only really participate in one or two threads over there, they'd probably ban me just for being on the forum in the first place.
Its because that user is not part of the moderator staff. They did have a recent addition though, and i only know this because i had a lot of talks with this user on Discord. That user got an upgrade from Little Helper to being a The Names member. And just from personal interactions, its hardly surprising why, having worked together with a lot of The Names over time.

It is telling, though. Because this user isn't someone i would qualify for as a staff member, but i can see why The Names picked this user. Fits right into the global narrative at play.

Last edited:

Hate to use the generalization term but millennials seems to tick the boxes

There seems to be quite a bit of...its their problem because I am a unique sunflower and they are not accepting me

If people learned that not everyone has their views ..shut their mouths and not get offended and get on with working hard and climbing the ladder like me....my parents and grandparents did then the world would be a much better place.

Might be my old man moment but it's not that hard.

And this was not meant to offend anyone who is a millennial...there are lots of great examples of your age group getting shit done and I hope if anything I teach my kids the same.

Tesseract

Banned
i gave resetera a shot, but ultimately got banned for posting opinions which went against the grain.

they will implode if they don't stomp out the authoritarian bullshit. miserable bastards.

not gonna say more than that, there's my peace.

Last edited:
It’s so weird because they originally talked about how they were being founded on principles that run exactly contrary to how they are today. Wtf happened?

Liberty4all

Banned
Don't forget, blocked, on our block list that is over 1,000 already, and that we recommend everyone else should too.

(Yes, I actually saw someone having a meltdown on there where they did say their block list was over a 1,000 people.)

:ROFLMAO:

I remember that post haha. Good times

Fox Mulder

It’s so weird because they originally talked about how they were being founded on principles that run exactly contrary to how they are today. Wtf happened?

It was a nice way to pull everyone over at first. The honeymoon period is over after they have been established for nearly a year now.

prag16

Banned
I asked mods multiple times about that and got nothing but crickets and deflection. Including a PM the day before my permanent ban. May very well have played a role in the ban.

The admin team is unbelievably reactionary and thin skinned. I won't bother visiting anymore, but will probably check out the ban aggregator bot every now and then for laughs. Popcorn.gif

Liberty4all

Banned

It was all bullshit. At the time they took in everyone because in the end this was about POWER for most and likely ad money for a small few. Power to ban,, power to enforce ideological purity. Can't do that without taking in some wrongthinkers.

I mean other forum was ready to go the second they went off on Evilore so it was obviously well planned and orchestrated.

Yea it all seems too well timed. I also distinctly recall “there won’t be any ads”. I’m still there because I like a few community threads and for some reason gaf community seems dead now (why?), but I have a different nick since this one is tarnished with the ideological puritans over there

JORMBO

Darkness no more
“No ads” didn’t last long. They were also quick to sell that $40/year Adblock service. $40!

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I firmly believe that the formation of ResetEra was done with monetary reasons first and foremost. They saw how much af revenue GAF was bringing in took advantage of the first situation to pop up and strike. They built the foundation on lies saying it would be a fresh start where varied opinions would be welcomed and encouraged, and as soon as they felt comfortable with the current amount of users and the ad revenue they were getting, they reverted to their old ways.

I know it sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Edit: Poor Shiki_. Gets banned from posting in the thread, yet can't help but lurk so they can ironically "like" certain posts. Get over it dude, move on.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“No ads” didn’t last long. They were also quick to sell that $40/year Adblock service. $40!

This really cracks me up.

I firmly believe that the formation of ResetEra was done with monetary reasons first and foremost. They saw how much af revenue GAF was bringing in took advantage of the first situation to pop up and strike. They built the foundation on lies saying it would be a fresh start where varied opinions would be welcomed and encouraged, and as soon as they felt comfortable with the current amount of users and the ad revenue they were getting, they reverted to their old ways.

I know it sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Edit: Poor Shiki_. Gets banned from posting in the thread, yet can't help but lurk so they can ironically "like" certain posts. Get over it dude, move on.

Don't forget all the mass bannings that they did on here just before their exodus, and then have their working platform pop-up very soon after, complete with their media friends publishing PR articles about them.

So looking at all this evidence, it's not too far-fetched of a theory.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This really cracks me up.

Don't forget all the mass bannings that they did on here just before their exodus, and then have their working platform pop-up very soon after, complete with their media friends publishing PR articles about them.

So looking at all this evidence, it's not too far-fetched of a theory.
Oh yeah, I forgot about all those fluff pieces. But hey, it worked. Even I fell for it.

Papa

Banned

Why do the creepers always have anime avatars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom