• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will offer a disagreement when it comes to referring to ERA as Reeee.... that's not GAF's idea, you can find much larger sites using it to describe whiners throughout the net. The fact that it fits perfectly with ERA's name is too wonderful of a coincidence to ignore, you know?

Still, even with that quibble, way to step up with that response.

Everytime is see reeeeeeee
I have this mental picture of the Lucasfilm thx logo coming into view but instead of a symphony of notes being overlaid to give that big deep sound....its a bunch of screaming (insert average era poster stereotype)screeching in unison..rrrreeeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Someone brought this post to my attention and I’m curious if anyone can link me to the threads he’s talking about or is he just making shit up?
It might be about TayTay, but that user aint gay, and despite an interaction with Evil, it does not describe the superlatives used.

Papa

Banned
That reads like a load of bullshit, unless you can provide me enough proof that can back it up.

Easy counterpoint to your Stalin argument: ERA likes Obama and Clinton. Both are pretty conservative in many ways, especially Obama.

They like Obama and Clinton for superficial reasons only.

Kagey K

Banned
What did he mean by this?

I think it’s some sort of kick that Gaf used to be a gated community with insiders and industry people visiting. What they don’t realize is that it’s the toxicity they caused that chased many of them away and they think we are left feeding on the corpse of what used to be.
It might be about TayTay, but that user aint gay, and despite an interaction with Evil, it does not describe the superlatives used.

I’m not familiar with this. Got a link? Or one of your long winded explanations? :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_anxious:

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I’m not familiar with this. Got a link? Or one of your long winded explanations? :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_anxious:
Basically, Schrödinger's Cat was bullying TayTay until TayTay had an outburst (at someone else) and got banned for responding with "fuck you" to someone calling her mentally ill. The ban history page has the specific posting she was banned for linked: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/onta...gender-identity.1468254/page-5#post-253592293
Interestingly, the person who insulted TayTay as mentally ill remained unscathed.

Kagey K

Banned
Basically, Schrödinger's Cat was bullying TayTay until TayTay had an outburst (at someone else) and got banned for responding with "fuck you" to someone calling her mentally ill. The ban history page has the specific posting she was banned for linked: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/onta...gender-identity.1468254/page-5#post-253592293
Interestingly, the person who insulted TayTay as mentally ill remained unscathed.
Thanks Yosh, I will read the thread before making a judgement, obviously emotions were running high based on the post you linked, and knowing that the Ford govt backed down makes it all hindsight, but I will try to live back in the moment to understand where all the heat was coming from.

I’m sure it won’t be the last time we see a Ontario Ford Premier Post here.

Papa

Banned

Bullshit. He did not bully her at all. That is a complete and utter misrepresentation and I’ve actually lost a bit of respect for you.

Yoshi

Bullshit. He did not bully her at all. That is a complete and utter misrepresentation and I’ve actually lost a bit of respect for you.
He lied throughout the thread to have answered her question while at the same time calling the question bait. This behaviour, in a topic that is emotionally particularly charged for the user in question, is bullying behaviour from my perspective. The context is relevant and while it would just be a case of a shitposter in other threads, in a thread where the person in question feels threatened by political developments, such posting behaviour serves no other purpose than self-aggrandisement and riling up a vulnerable poster.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m only on page 3 of that thread and I don’t want to give an opinion yet. So before I get to the good stuff, what is your interpretation?

Edit: I will actually say that much of this stuff could be avoided if talked about sex and gender separately. If I tell a DR I am boy, and I don’t feel well, he won’t check me for ovarian cancer. If I tell him I was born a girl and now am a boy he might.

Same goes the other way. If I tell him I’m a girl he might never check my prostate, but if I tell him I was a boy genetically and am now a girl he will know it’s there.

There are serious medical effects that can happen by straight out denying your genetics. It’s the same as saying there is no risk of heart attack because I identify as not being from a family full of heart attack victims.

It’s not that hard. Sex and gender are two different things. Be whatever gender you want, but don’t mask what you are genetically.

This is all I’ll say about this until I finish the thread.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

TayTay could've just dropped the question. It wasn't really that important anyway and his answer was basically depends on the person. It wasn't worth pursuing imo.

Cat standing firm with his vague answer though is not bullying. If anything Cat was the one being bullied, he gave an anwser was asked for further explanation, refused and then had 2 users harass him for an answer.

Yoshi

TayTay could've just dropped the question. It wasn't really that important anyway and his answer was basically depends on the person. It wasn't worth pursuing imo.

Cat standing firm with his vague answer though is not bullying. If anything Cat was the one being bullied, he gave an anwser was asked for further explanation, refused and then had 2 users harass him for an answer.
He claimed he had answered the second question though. Having answered the first question was not contested. He just misunderstood the first question, which makes the first and the second distinct. As I explained to him, respect can have different meanings and he used the more-encompassing definition than TayTay. To continue saying you had answered the question and insulting the other party as incapable of reading, baiting, being incaoable of understanding written text, even though he must have been well aware that he did, in fact, not answer the second question (or the first as it was intended), is bullying behaviour if it appears in a topic that is a very vulnerable for the user. And no, he would not have to have answered the question, it is his right to refuse. But he should have just said that: "While I answered the first question, I am unwilling to answer the second", the discussion would have ended there. Continuing to claim he had answered the second question and TayTay was just too stupid to understand it, was the bullying part, not the refusal to answer the second question.

JordanN

Banned
DigitalOp is back, with more insane ramblings.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ba...-the-new-war-story.84853/page-2#post-15621173

aZO2eED.png

Isn't it funny how you see people hate Nazism so much, yet they love copying them?
They love to accuse everyone to the right of them as being Hitler, but they're the first ones who want enact a "final solution".

Meanwhile, they're quick to suck the dick of the Communists.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ba...-the-new-war-story.84853/page-4#post-15627061

8DXpa07.png

It's ok to rape Germans now. WOW.

Once again, Reset users and SJW's keep coming into this thread and getting pissed off at my work. "JordanN stop it! You guys are all Nazis. Reset is full of good people and is always improving! Stop generalizing Reset man, even though Reset loves to generalize all Republicans as Nazis"

I do not care what other people think of me. I actually have the courage to keep pointing out the horrible shit that goes on Resetera.

They use Nazi as an insult, but I say why is no one using "Communist" as an insult against them? We keep being told "Gaf is Nazi! Nazi! Nazi!" but Communism has murdered a shit ton more people.
Reset harbors them and no one (except me) is calling out the crimes of the Communists.

Urfftp3.jpg

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I actually have the courage to keep pointing out the horrible shit that goes on Resetera.
Whoa, calm down there bud, they ain't gonna assininate you in your sleep.

I appreciate the posts and all but I think you might be developing a sort of hero complex...

Eotheod

Just chiming in to say that was a great thought out post but I’m going to have to disagree with a few of your points.

This thread here does have some stupid posts and I am probably guilty of some of them but in most cases The content is pretty much a direct copy of stuff from Era and its simply highlighting the absolute stupidity of not only the mods But also the people that accept this as the normal over there...having this thread is not only a great way of reminding people of what An oppressive and close minded place gaf used to be but also means for users who were banned over there to come back to reflect and actually look at things from a different angle.

Era was founded as a result of a bunch of users who maliciously undermined this site in order to push through an extreme left narrative
Its become pretty clear over the last 12 months that this place had people actively sabotaging things and some half assed story about Evilore was pushed through as the narrative (which has still never been proven) as
The reason for the mods resigning and the site imploding…the reality is these mods were the ones who were stealth banning people and promoting and creating an environment which was toxic And not a very fun place to read and post….these same people then ended up as mods and names over at Era…and guess what…the same stuff that was happening here is going on over there…

Funny about that.

The reality is that a large chunk of this userbase fell for the bait and promise of a fresh open and free place to post and didn’t actually look at the captains of their new ship and now you are seeing first hand What the place really is and you have no real way of changing that as the site was built around that lie.

There is no question that this place is a shell of what it once was but gaf took years to become established and this was done through good moderation and quality posters
And from what I have seen over the last 12 months this is starting to happen…many would argee that having pages and pages of active threads and things updating so quickly is a great thing But as someone who lurked here for many years prior to joining many years ago the slower pace is actually what made this place great to begin with as you could invest more time in the threads and appreciate the users And their experiences and while not all posts are up to the high standards of some they are not thrown to the wolves and they learn and grow from their mistakes…this is what creates a great forum and this in turn brings in more users and the place grows.

Just because there are a ton of traffic running through a site does not mean it’s healthy

Era’s unique post count has not gone above 7500 in the last 6 months and from Aug to Nov the member count has only gone from 40k to 41k…when we look at the average Bans handed out per month has been nudging 1k..they are almost banning more users then they are gaining.

You can disregard all the above because there are indeed more users posting threads which are interesting and unique on era but the core of your apple your defending is rotten and is slowly rotting away

Only a matter of time…….in the meantime this thread is the moviechair with the popcorn bucket and the place we can sit back and reflect and say..”Glad we are not like that”

Once again Appreciate your feedback and the time you have invested in replying in here

Edit
Sorry about formatting...new phone
And thank you too mate for giving a well-thought out post, it is nice to see that this thread isn't all whinging. Though I will admit and correct that the whinging was mainly towards the start of the thread I just believed it was still happening with how replies are being written in response to ERA issues. There is definitely some great thought-out responses on the stupidity of clamping thought processes and causing echo chambers which ERA is definitely becoming (some would argue was to begin with) but I just feel even with those well-thought-out posts the time/effort is being pushed to something we just shouldn't give as much energy to.

Obviously many would argue that shutting your eyes and plugging your ears is just as bad and results in where we are now which is fair and not what I'd be arguing for. As I said I can't stop people posting responses as that is asinine to the point of stumping any discussion. I just feel that with ERA as the topic the feeling is more hurt lover type then actually putting it under a microscope, especially when shit like the BFV thing happens and people reply with "lol trigger happy fucks deserve there" or something cringy. I'd prefer the higher ground and just taking thought processes from ERA and critiquing them with interesting discussion. Heck it is why I can't post on ERA anymore as the amount of hot take replies I get when I give thought to my feedback is just disheartening.

I just hope that GAF can bring back content and justification of its existence outside of "we aren't ERA and now let you speak your mind" because while that's great it wears off pretty quick. Otherwise it will just feel like again the hurt lover who goes and buys a brand new car or clothing to show that they aren't hurt and doing perfectly fine.

I always thought it's a Nintendo dominated site (Era). I mean I see soooooooo many threads about Nintendo and how it changed their life and how every little tiny thing and experience is like a goddamn mind blowing thing next to reaching Nirvana.
GAF back when was super hardcore Nintendo loving. We got a lot of shit for being Sony shills and truth be told there were a lot of things Sony could commit and get away with here. But Nintendo? Boy oh boy they are/were the golden child here. Rightfully so to a degree, the company is amazing at what they do which is refine their first party to be better than anything ever but even I'd argue they fuck up often enough to not be above anyone else.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
He lied throughout the thread to have answered her question while at the same time calling the question bait. This behaviour, in a topic that is emotionally particularly charged for the user in question, is bullying behaviour from my perspective. The context is relevant and while it would just be a case of a shitposter in other threads, in a thread where the person in question feels threatened by political developments, such posting behaviour serves no other purpose than self-aggrandisement and riling up a vulnerable poster.

No, you are the one lying by painting it as bullying of TayTay. I’m hesitant to get into this with you because I’m wary of waking up to a pedantic wall of text that I won’t have the mental energy to deal with, but this needs to be said.

Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat was very clear in his initial post that he would only acquiesce to someone’s non-standard gender pronouns if he respected them. He then said that if someone displayed poor behaviour by petulantly demanding him to alter his speech to suit their reality, as TayTay was indeed doing, he would not respect them. You do not have a right to control someone else’s speech. You may request it, but you do not have a right to it, and you must therefore earn that person’s respect in order to increase the request’s likelihood of success. This was completely clear from his first few posts but you and TayTay then proceeded to harangue (see: bully) him for multiple pages in an attempt to goad him into giving you the answer you wanted. You used techniques such as:

- setting up closed yes/no gotchas that removed any potential nuance; and
- continually ignoring what he actually said and carrying on responding to what you wanted him to have said.

He refused to play your game and so you continued circling like hyenas, searching for a way to trap him. He’s not stupid and he saw what you were doing from a mile off. The only mistake he made was continuing to engage with you after 3 or 4 posts, at which point it should have been obvious that you weren’t being genuine.

Now, you are presenting it as though he was going out of his way to bully TayTay simply for being trans. Bull-fucking-shit. You are also completely ignoring the fact that TayTay has a history of acting like a petulant child and then throwing tantrums and playing the victim when people don’t bow down to her trans identity trump card. What happened in that thread was almost entirely on her (and you to an extent).

Stop lying.

Papa

Banned
And thank you too mate for giving a well-thought out post, it is nice to see that this thread isn't all whinging. Though I will admit and correct that the whinging was mainly towards the start of the thread I just believed it was still happening with how replies are being written in response to ERA issues. There is definitely some great thought-out responses on the stupidity of clamping thought processes and causing echo chambers which ERA is definitely becoming (some would argue was to begin with) but I just feel even with those well-thought-out posts the time/effort is being pushed to something we just shouldn't give as much energy to.

Obviously many would argue that shutting your eyes and plugging your ears is just as bad and results in where we are now which is fair and not what I'd be arguing for. As I said I can't stop people posting responses as that is asinine to the point of stumping any discussion. I just feel that with ERA as the topic the feeling is more hurt lover type then actually putting it under a microscope, especially when shit like the BFV thing happens and people reply with "lol trigger happy fucks deserve there" or something cringy. I'd prefer the higher ground and just taking thought processes from ERA and critiquing them with interesting discussion. Heck it is why I can't post on ERA anymore as the amount of hot take replies I get when I give thought to my feedback is just disheartening.

I just hope that GAF can bring back content and justification of its existence outside of "we aren't ERA and now let you speak your mind" because while that's great it wears off pretty quick. Otherwise it will just feel like again the hurt lover who goes and buys a brand new car or clothing to show that they aren't hurt and doing perfectly fine.

GAF back when was super hardcore Nintendo loving. We got a lot of shit for being Sony shills and truth be told there were a lot of things Sony could commit and get away with here. But Nintendo? Boy oh boy they are/were the golden child here. Rightfully so to a degree, the company is amazing at what they do which is refine their first party to be better than anything ever but even I'd argue they fuck up often enough to not be above anyone else.

“Hurt lover” implies that we are pining for them to come back. Most of us aren’t, and I personally see them as a cancer that was excised. I stopped participating around 2015 when it became too stifling and stopped browsing altogether not long after. I only came back in late 2017 after they all left for their shiny new echo chamber. We did lose some good members, but overall the pros far outweighs the cons.

As you seem to have realised in this latest post, this thread serves as a record of what not to do in terms of forum moderation. Not discussing this stuff in the open (or even being allowed to) is part of how the situation developed in the first place. Yes, it also serves as a sideshow for some of us older members to point and laugh as a form of catharsis, but don’t let that distract you from the learnings that come out of the aforementioned discussion.

Papa Papa Thank you for the @mention so that I was aware of this exchange.

Actually, if you check my original comment, I made a statement.
The other commenter ignored it entirely, using it as a launch-pad to steam-roll over the view I expressed and to aggressively coerce me to follow their derail of my own views.
And then they repeatedly attempted to shoehorn me into a baited and disengenuous question.

I responded to the question. I did not take the bait.
Not taking the bait bothered certain onlookers and they proceeded to misrepresent me over the course of the following pages of that topic.
This included attempting to hold me accountable for some aggressive, rude, insulting conduct by others - conduct by others that was directed at me.
I am not responsible for the voluntary actions of others.

I actually made a point of not mentioning the fact they my original view and comment had been utterly trampled over.
If you go back to the thread you'll see how I continually told you to read what I said. That was me being diplomatic.

I have remained completely civil throughout.
I simply refused to be pressured and coerced into compromising my position. This bothers some people, it seems.

I'm dismayed that, this far after these events, after I've explained my position so abundantly and so clearly - and so evidently that others are compelled to comment on it to you - that it is still apparent that what I write is/was not read.

I've said everything I need to say on this episiode here and in the thread. There is no ambiguity on my part. All questions have been answered.
I ended the exchange in the topic in question. I have no intention of starting a new futile cycle of writing and not being read in this thread too.

I'll thank you not to misrepresent me.

EDIT: I am purposefully not linking to specific things.
If the modest effort of reading in order to understand is too great, or too offputting to cope with then - on, a discussion forum, of all places - then it's apparent to me this is a monologue, not a discussion.

Last edited:

Yoshi

@Schrödinger's cat was very clear in his initial post that he would only acquiesce to someone’s non-standard gender pronouns if he respected them. He then said that if someone displayed poor behaviour by petulantly demanding him to alter his speech to suit their reality, as TayTay was indeed doing, he would not respect them.
So what you are saying that he said "demanding it" -> "respect lost" -> "he would misgender". That was my initial understanding, where I even corrected T TayTay saying that he did answer it by composition of those claims. He refused this as wrong:
I'll thank you not to misrepresent what I said.
If this is wrong, he has not answered the question.

This was completely clear from his first few posts but you and TayTay then proceeded to harangue (see: bully) him for multiple pages in an attempt to goad him into giving you the answer you wanted.
What was the answer I wanted? I can think of several answers where I would not have posted anything anymore:
1. I have not and will not answer the second question.
2. I would misgender.
3. I would not misgender.
4. My behaviour wrt misgendering would depend on the following factors: (...)
5. I am unsure / do not know whether I would misgender
6. I would avoid gendered pronouns whatsoever

This list is probably not exhaustive. Basically, he could have either answered the question in any reasonable way or given a clear refusal to answer the question without claiming he already had answered it. Personally, I was exclusively concerned with arrogant lying, not with his personal stance on that. Some of the answes above would indicate rude behaviour of his, but it is a hypothetical discussion on whether he would be rude in some hypothetical scenario, that is inconsequential to me; I do not complain about potential misbehaviour.
- setting up closed yes/no gotchas that removed any potential nuance; and
I made explicitly clear that "yes / no" is not the only possible answer to this and gave a conditional "yes" answer that would apply to myself even as an example. Yes / no questions with more nuance can still be answered with conditional statements. It is only goading if you want it to.
- continually ignoring what he actually said and carrying on responding to what you wanted him to have said.
He said not much more than "do not misrepresent what you said", "you cannot read", "you do not read", "you want to goad me" and "I have answered the question" (paraphrasing)
at which point it should have been obvious that you weren’t being genuine.
I was absolutely genuine, my only concern was his arrogance in composition with lying about having answered the second question. There are only three options there:
1. Your an my interpretation was correct and he wrongfully refused that conclusion anyway.
2. He did not answer the question and thus was lying about having answered it.
3. He did answer the question and we were in fact unable to spot the answer, in which case he could have just quoted his answer instead of playing the "you cannot read" spiel.
Now, you are presenting it as though he was going out of his way to bully TayTay simply for being trans.
No, this is not what I claim. What I claim is that his arrogant lying in that threat served as bullying because TayTay was particularly strongly emotionally involved in the discussion because of being trans. I did not state and do not think that he specifically was bullying her for being trans.
You are also completely ignoring the fact that TayTay has a history of acting like a petulant child and then throwing tantrums and playing the victim when people don’t bow down to her trans identity trump card.
I have no information about such behaviour. If I am ignoring it it is because I am ignorant of it.
Stop lying.
I am not lying.

Yoshi

Actually, if you check my original comment, I made a statement.
Your original comment could hardly answer a question that was not posed at the time. Your original statement was this:
I will accept you with civility.

Believe it or not, I care about how you behave towards me and others.
Your personal sense of identity is far far less important to me than it is to you.

Just like my sense of personal identity is far less important to you than my behaviour is.

If you feel I owe your something, then you are wrong.
If you aggressively assert this then you will always be on the wrong side of the argument.
This statement does not say whether you would mislabel an aggressively unfriendly trans person. You say that the identitiy less important to you than the other party, that you deem it important how you are treated and that one would be wrong in assuming you owed them to use the correct pronoun. You did not specify whether you would use the correct pronoun (even if it may not be something you owe them) or not. So this statement does not answer the question.

Papa

Banned
I don’t want to deal with that wall right now, but I will point out that this is where you’re going wrong:

“he would misgender"

With this phrasing, you’re establishing that you think the correct action for Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat to take is to acquiesce to TayTay’s request, irrespective of the level of respect or dignity she firstly shows to him. You are overruling his right to choose his own words in favour of someone else’s desire to control them. From everything you have said here, I do not believe you understand this point, and it seems to be the fundamental sticking point that prevents us from finding any middle ground.

Yoshi

I don’t want to deal with that wall right now, but I will point out that this is where you’re going wrong:

“he would misgender"

With this phrasing, you’re establishing that you think the correct action for Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat to take is to acquiesce to TayTay’s request, irrespective of the level of respect or dignity she firstly shows to him. You are overruling his right to choose his own words in favour of someone else’s desire to control them. From everything you have said here, I do not believe you understand this point, and it seems to be the fundamental sticking point that prevents us from finding any middle ground.
Misgender is just stating that he is using a non-preferred pronoun. While I agree that it indicates also a valuation of mine whether it was the right behaviour, it does not strictly say this and as I stated, I even identified a situation in which I would misgender (and I would not see this as a faulty behaviour). And he could just as easily have said: "I do not subscribe to the choice of words when it comes to misgendering, but I would use the pronoun that refers to the birth sex".

Form my perspective, there is no semantical difference between "misgender" and "not acquiesce to someone’s non-standard gender pronouns" outside of the option I gave above: To refuse to use pronouns at all.

But let's ask him: Schrödinger: Is Matt's interpretation correct?

Papa

Banned
Misgender is just stating that he is using a non-preferred pronoun. While I agree that it indicates also a valuation of mine whether it was the right behaviour, it does not strictly say this and as I stated, I even identified a situation in which I would misgender (and I would not see this as a faulty behaviour). And he could just as easily have said: "I do not subscribe to the choice of words when it comes to misgendering, but I would use the pronoun that refers to the birth sex".

Form my perspective, there is no semantical difference between "misgender" and "not acquiesce to someone’s non-standard gender pronouns" outside of the option I gave above: To refuse to use pronouns at all.

But let's ask him: Schrödinger: Is Matt's interpretation correct?

You are pedantic to a fault, Yosh. I think it affects your ability to comprehend when people speak abstractly.

Yoshi

You are pedantic to a fault, Yosh. I think it affects your ability to comprehend when people speak abstractly.
Giving abstract answers to conrete questions is not answering them, if the abstraction is not a generalisation step. Now, in mathematical terms, abstractions would be completely fine, but I think you are using a more colloquial understanding of the word here, which would translate to "more imprescise and in spirit" than "more general"

Papa

Banned
Giving abstract answers to conrete questions is not answering them, if the abstraction is not a generalisation step. Now, in mathematical terms, abstractions would be completely fine, but I think you are using a more colloquial understanding of the word here, which would translate to "more imprescise and in spirit" than "more general"

I feel like I’m talking to a robot but I spelled out what I believe Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat meant in the other thread. I guess all we can do now is wait and see if he respects you enough to acquiesce to your request (heh).

Yoshi

I feel like I’m talking to a robot but I spelled out what I believe Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat meant in the other thread. I guess all we can do now is wait and see if he respects you enough to acquiesce to your request (heh).
My texts contain way too many typos to be from a robot. Well, I could be a malfunctioning robot, but my self-diagnose unit does not indicate such.

Yoshi Yoshi

We've been through all of this before, which is why I said above:

I've said everything I need to say on this episiode here and in the thread. There is no ambiguity on my part. All questions have been answered.
I ended the exchange in the topic in question. I have no intention of starting a new futile cycle of writing and not being read in this thread too.

Yoshi

Yoshi Yoshi

We've been through all of this before, which is why I said above:
Since it is important for the conversation between matt and me, could you be so nice and just say whether matt's interpretation here:
@Schrödinger's cat was very clear in his initial post that he would only acquiesce to someone’s non-standard gender pronouns if he respected them. He then said that if someone displayed poor behaviour by petulantly demanding him to alter his speech to suit their reality, as TayTay was indeed doing, he would not respect them.
is indeed correct? If you could answer this question, I will promise to not bother you about this anymore. Even if you say "no" and refuse to give more detail, because if it is a wrong interpretation, this would already be sufficient information for the discussion between matt and me right now.

Papa

Banned
Since it is important for the conversation between matt and me, could you be so nice and just say whether matt's interpretation here:

is indeed correct? If you could answer this question, I will promise to not bother you about this anymore. Even if you say "no" and refuse to give more detail, because if it is a wrong interpretation, this would already be sufficient information for the discussion between matt and me right now.

You’ve conveniently snipped out the part about the right to control one’s own speech in order to re-frame it as you want it. Stop that.

Yoshi

You’ve conveniently snipped out the part about the right to control one’s own speech in order to re-frame it as you want it. Stop that.
If the whole is correct, then the frist part would also be correct. If only the second part was incorrect, I did not want it to result into a "no" answer. Is there a logical mistake in this?

Papa

Banned
If the whole is correct, then the frist part would also be correct. If only the second part was incorrect, I did not want it to result into a "no" answer. Is there a logical mistake in this?

It’s not a logic problem; it’s a framing problem. The comments on the right to control one’s own speech that you snipped out were important context for the part that you left in the quote. By doing so, you have re-framed it to what you want it to say rather than what it actually says. This is what you were doing to Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat in the other thread and I suspect it is why he wouldn’t engage with you as you desired.

Anyway, I’m out for tonight. That’s enough.

Yoshi

It’s not a logic problem; it’s a framing problem. The comments on the right to control one’s own speech that you snipped out were important context for the part that you left in the quote. By doing so, you have re-framed it to what you want it to say rather than what it actually says. This is what you were doing to Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat in the other thread and I suspect it is why he wouldn’t engage with you as you desired.

Anyway, I’m out for tonight. That’s enough.
I undertand sequential composition of statements as conjunctions, so for the overall statement to be true, both parts need to be true to, as long as neither parts contains a conditional that restricts the other. But if Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat feels better about answering this question with the following statement instead:
he would only acquiesce to someone’s non-standard gender pronouns if he respected them. He then said that if someone displayed poor behaviour by petulantly demanding him to alter his speech to suit their reality, as TayTay was indeed doing, he would not respect them. You do not have a right to control someone else’s speech. You may request it, but you do not have a right to it, and you must therefore earn that person’s respect in order to increase the request’s likelihood of success.
I have absolutely no problem with it. I can personally not see more in the second part than a reasoning for the statement in the first part, so it should be inconsequential, but if cat feels it is important to have the reasoning recognised in this context as well, I absolutely have no issues with the full quote being used for the validation of the interpretation. My only request would be that if the answer for the first statement was "yes, correct" and for the full statement "no, wrong", then to please indicate such.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought it's a Nintendo dominated site (Era). I mean I see soooooooo many threads about Nintendo and how it changed their life and how every little tiny thing and experience is like a goddamn mind blowing thing next to reaching Nirvana.

Yeah I always saw more Nintendo slant if anything on old GAF and now Era with things like Bayonetta 2 winning game of the year back then and various Nintendo games finishing higher in the votes than there average in other GOTY lists, huge defense force for any criticism.

That said, there are too many fanboys of all platforms on both sites. So a lot of it is probably just which one finds mkre annoying. I have no loyalty to any of the companies and think they all pretty much suck and just begrudgingly give them my money to play games.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I wish i never made the TayTay suggestion if i knew it would spark this conversation.

Guess that shows me.

Yoshi

Yeah I always saw more Nintendo slant if anything on old GAF and now Era with things like Bayonetta 2 winning game of the year back then and various Nintendo games finishing higher in the votes than there average in other GOTY lists
Is this indicative of a Nintendo slant though? In an enthusiast forum, it is more likely people have most or all recent platforms, so games from smaller platforms have better chances than they would have with the general populace. Bayonetta 2 was a pretty great game in its genre and it was a year where Nintendo was particularly strong when compared to the competition. 2016 did not even see a game on a Nintendo platform in the top ten, in contrast.

As for the GotYs themselves, Nintendo did not have such a large presence here, winning three of the GotY votes with an exclusive title and only one more game even being on a Nintendo platform at the time of voting. If anything, Sony is overrepresented with 6 exclusive games winning and only four GotYs not being on a Sony platform.

2016 - Sony exclusive
2015 - Sony exclusive
2014 - Nintendo exclusive
2013 - Sony exclusive
2012 - Sony exclusive
2011 - 360 / PS3 / PC game
2010 - Microsoft exclusive (at the time)
2009 - Sony exclusive
2008 - Sony exclusive
2007 - Nintendo exclusive
2006 - Nintendo exclusive
2005 - GameCube / PS2 game (at the time)
2004 - PS2 / Xbox game (at the time)

The DICE developer posted on ERA saying they don’t get the BFV backlash. Someone explains it and gets banned right away. I don’t think DICE is going to learn much hanging out in that safe space.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...goes-up-in-flames.84698/page-12#post-15630842

huh

Can someone explain to me what the problem is with saying a game is for everyone? I legitimately don't understand why this would make anyone upset.
Telling racists and bigots to get bent apparently makes a lot of totally not racists and bigots get very angry.
Somebody posting a "criticism" of the historical accuracy of BattlefieldV got exposed as a pedophile posting historically inaccurate pedophilia fantasies. The reddit account has been banned lol. The username wasn't very subtle.
easier said than done, especially in a world where Trump happened and where far more right wing shitheads came out of the woodwork than anyone could have even anticipated that they exist in such numbers.

Do they even talk about games on Reset or is the whole forum a political-off-topic forum but sometimes the theme is games?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
h
Do they even talk about games on Reset or is the whole forum a political-off-topic forum but sometimes the theme is games?

Tons of great and very active game discussion threads there, namely the OTs, spoiler threads and community threads. Most news threads are fine too unless it hits on some social/political issue. There’s just a vocal minority of people who seem to rarely, if ever, play games and mostly post about social/political stuff in the off topic area and only venture into gaming for those type of thread.

So thankfully the good, pure gaming threads are still mostly fine. As those people generally aren’t in them and the mods are pretty good at responding to reports of posts dragging that stuff into OTs when there are already dedicated topics for those conversations. So I still enjoy it as I don’t care to discuss social/political issues (gaming related or in general) so I just avoid those topics, use the new thread ignore feature to hide ones that stay on the front page a long time and just enjoy the active community discussing the games I’m playing. It's basically how GAF was before on that front, with just way worse moderation in topics I stay the fuck away from (and thus am not impacted by).

That site isn’t as bad overall as people here make it out to be outside of those social/political issues threads and the terrible moderation of them—that’s a dumpster fire. Similarly, this site isn’t as bad as people there make it or to be either and is much better moderated on those topics for people who care to engage in them. It’s just too slow on the gaming side for me/many others as people want fast responses when asking questions about a game they’re playing in an OT or to quickly find squadmates for an online game etc. The pace here is fine for people just casually chatting games and game news, popping in just a time or two a day, wanting to get to know people rather than have more anonymous dialogue and so on. So just a matter of what one is wanting from a game forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is this indicative of a Nintendo slant though? In an enthusiast forum, it is more likely people have most or all recent platforms, so games from smaller platforms have better chances than they would have with the general populace. Bayonetta 2 was a pretty great game in its genre and it was a year where Nintendo was particularly strong when compared to the competition. 2016 did not even see a game on a Nintendo platform in the top ten, in contrast.

As for the GotYs themselves, Nintendo did not have such a large presence here, winning three of the GotY votes with an exclusive title and only one more game even being on a Nintendo platform at the time of voting. If anything, Sony is overrepresented with 6 exclusive games winning and only four GotYs not being on a Sony platform.

2016 - Sony exclusive
2015 - Sony exclusive
2014 - Nintendo exclusive
2013 - Sony exclusive
2012 - Sony exclusive
2011 - 360 / PS3 / PC game
2010 - Microsoft exclusive (at the time)
2009 - Sony exclusive
2008 - Sony exclusive
2007 - Nintendo exclusive
2006 - Nintendo exclusive
2005 - GameCube / PS2 game (at the time)
2004 - PS2 / Xbox game (at the time)

I didn't say Nintendo games won too often, just that they tend to finish higher than they do on other community lists and the critics GOTY lists. But like I said, it may just be that Nintendo fanboys just annoy me more than the others for whatever reason so they just seem worse to me.

Similarly, I think what a lot of people think is Sony bias on various sites is just reflective of the fact that Sony has dominated the core gamer market for most of the past 20+ years. The PS1, PS2 and PS4 all killed the competition in sales. The PS3 was a setback, but still caught up to the 360 in worldwide sales by the end of the genreration--both lagged behind Wii but it won because of getting so many casuals and non-gamers to buying. 360/PS3 were still the main platform for most core gamers.

So any site is going to have more discussion of Sony stuff ,more Playstation owners etc other than last gen when 360 was a head a while and finished neck and neck. In terms of GOTY, Sony just makes the types of games that dominate GOTY discussion and awards these days. Narrative driven, cinematic games with top production values. Other than the rare year something like Bayonetta 2 or Overwatch wins some awards, it's always something like one of those games or a Rockstar game and so on. If Nintendo and MS want to win more GOTY they need to make more of those type of games. Awards tend to go to games that were some big overall "artistic" achievement and not just fun games like online games or Nintendo platformers. I'm not saying that's right (or wrong), it's just the way awards work. Just like popcorn action flicks don't tend to win Best Picture oscars or movie of the year voting polls on movie forums.

A lot of people are just conflating "Sony bias" with what the mainstream and critics prefer as they're annoyed that the things they like don't win awards, get as much discussion etc. as their tastes don't match the mainstream or critics.

Last edited by a moderator:
HUGE opportunity to cover the TGA like it used to be done on GAF now. Just saying. :D
It seems to be actually having some decent announcements this year.

Nintendo totally dominated gaming in USA for years while Europe was lot more diverse with stuff like Amiga scene etc so it's pure demographic thing on English speaking websites.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo totally dominated gaming in USA for years while Europe was lot more diverse with stuff like Amiga scene etc so it's pure demographic thing on English speaking websites.

Yeah, that's definitely part of it. Also that forums tend to skew older these days as the younger generations opted for social media and Reddit. So you have lots of 30 and 40 somethings that grew up with Nintendo and either stuck with the or got back into them as they had kids and so on.

Similarly, a lot of the Sony "slant" is boosted by the fact that there's a lot of European members on Gaf and Era and Playstation has straight killed it there, even beating the 360 soundly in all but the UK (and I think one other country I'm forgetting).

I think Xbox fans are especially just going to see a lot of "bias" toward the others as that brand has been less relevant this generation with the bad launch, slower sales, fewer exclusives (and especially the narrative-driven single player stuff that dominates discussion on forums) and having their games on PC and making the console (but not the games of course) irrelevant to a lot of gamers with PCs. Not to say they aren't doing fine and making lots of money with their exclusives, Gold and Game pass. They just aren't the most relevant brand to the majority of active posters on these types of forums as polls show that strong majorities prefer single player games, the dominance of Sony and Nintendo exclusives in GOTY voting that Yoshi outlined above etc.

The DICE developer posted on ERA saying they don’t get the BFV backlash. Someone explains it and gets banned right away. I don’t think DICE is going to learn much hanging out in that safe space.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...goes-up-in-flames.84698/page-12#post-15630842
If Battlefield V fails to reach its sales target by a large margin because the developers only listen to ResetERA and far-leftists for feedback, I wonder if other developers will take notice and slowly walk away from that echo chamber masquerading as a forum.

Athena~

Banned
When you troll and don’t care about the actual game or the new announced character, you get 50 posts.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/to...people-are-already-upset.85012/#post-15636003

When you want to talk about the same actual game and the new announced character, you only get 3 posts.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/total-war-three-kingdoms-zheng-jiang-in-engine-trailer.84973/

Moderation is the worst ever for a gaming forum. Letting trolls run around with non gaming related insults. Who fucking cares about the YouTube comments?

I post this here instead of over there for obvious reasons lol.

There may be no hope for Dice if they actually believe this is about Women in Battlefield games.

If they, after all this time, continue to attempt to label their playerbase as “they hate women” then they will continue to bleed fans. Weren’t there Women Soldiers in BF1?

At some point you need to realize you’re so WOKE you are over tired and not thinking clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom