• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhares

Maybe, but if it was about advertising revenue, why would they be so ban-happy?

I believe it's just more profitable to have a 'hardcore' base willing to throw money at stuff than trying to please everyone.
It goes for both end of the political spectrum, how many gofundme and such reach massive amount of money for polarising individuals or causes.

JordanN

Banned
Count the number of spins! Spins as in Resetera loves to make up stories.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...as-a-bone-to-pick-with-resetera.85351/page-37

kgFJTCe.png

Keep dancing puppets. You guys provide endless amounts of amusement. :LOL:

untitled-2ozp52.gif

Last edited:

SoulUnison

Banned

To keep up appearances and pander to the population they invited.

For every 1 user that gets banned there's multiple users who see it, don't question but assume it's justified and necessary, and go on feeling feeling slightly more entrenched in their political beliefs, that they're "under attack" by something, and that they're a part of an exclusive community. Ironically, their gross overuse of moderation combined with how the average user never questions or follows up on any moderation they're not personally involved in gives the illusion that ERA is well moderated and not just heavily moderated.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Last edited:

iPaul93

SoulUnison

Banned
I also just realized how extremely telling it is that over ~3 site redisigns and major feature revisions ERA has never added the "like" feature, despite both of these forums running on the exact same backend software. They don't want that sort of transparency to individual posts because it'd make it too obvious when staff policy and user opinions were diverging.

Delete/warn/ban a post that a bunch of people actually tangibly approved of and you have to justify why you're taking that action a lot better and you have a group of involved users who can actually have a paper trail to follow and try to push for some accountability.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
These people are so delusional that it's sad.I honestly never got the whole outrage after what Tyler allegedly did.But I guess that's what happens when your whole life amounts to looking for things that trigger you.

I’d say Baji Boxer will be joining us soon. I’m sure he’s on the hit list now.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How much money do you think a user who does not pay and only sees some commercials is going to make vs. how much Resetera gold costs? I do not think the website is a money making scheme, but if it was, being ban happy and making a specific niche of users particularly happy with it could be a net benefit if these users then feel inclined to subscribe, even if the ad revenue is lower as a consequence.

Kagey K

Banned
How much money do you think a user who does not pay and only sees some commercials is going to make vs. how much Resetera gold costs? I do not think the website is a money making scheme, but if it was, being ban happy and making a specific niche of users particularly happy with it could be a net benefit if these users then feel inclined to subscribe, even if the ad revenue is lower as a consequence.

If they suspect the person will lurk after, there is no loss to ban a free user to appease a “clear” member.

Now I’m interested to see if a clear member has been banned or what they do if a member has been banned before their “clear era” time has run out.

Yoshi

If they suspect the person will lurk after, there is no loss to ban a free user to appease a “clear” member.

Now I’m interested to see if a clear member has been banned or what they do if a member has been banned before their “clear era” time has run out.
I think at the time they said Clear memebership does not protect you from bans (including permanent ones), but I do not think they specified whether you'd be eligible for a refund.

EDIT: They specified:
"You will still be expected to follow the rules. This is strictly about ad removal. If you happen to get banned, we will cancel your subscription for you. "

EDIT2: On further inspection: You are out of your money for the amount of time you have already paid for, but auto-renewal is turned off. So as I understand this, order Era Clear for a year, get permed the day after: You pay a year, but nothing else. You get one day of ad free Resetera though.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I think at the time they said Clear memebership does not protect you from bans (including permanent ones), but I do not think they specified whether you'd be eligible for a refund.
I’m sure in the legalese they have a no refund policy and bans will be included there, but now this has me thinking about things I haven’t before.

Let’s say me and person X registered on the same day around the same time.
10 months later we have both been upstanding individuals but get into a spat about what the perfect friction level is when masturbating.

Now person X has been a paying clear member of Reset, while I have been a free member. Why would they ban him before me?

Wouldn’t this be buying into the site?

It creates different classes of users, based on different levels of wealth, who can buy privilege and side step the right punishments. Isn’t this what they fight against daily in all those bullshit threads?

Yet they are doing it themselves? Doesn’t this show really how. Nothing will change and it’s always the same song and dance when you have no power. The second you get it you do what everyone else did?

Yoshi

I’m sure in the legalese they have a no refund policy and bans will be included there, but now this has me thinking about things I haven’t before.

Let’s say me and person X registered on the same day around the same time.
10 months later we have both been upstanding individuals but get into a spat about what the perfect friction level is when masturbating.

Now person X has been a paying clear member of Reset, while I have been a free member. Why would they ban him before me?

Wouldn’t this be buying into the site?

It creates different classes of users, based on different levels of wealth, who can buy privilege and side step the right punishments. Isn’t this what they fight against daily in all those bullshit threads?

Yet they are doing it themselves? Doesn’t this show really how. Nothing will change and it’s always the same song and dance when you have no power. The second you get it you do what everyone else did?
Well, ideally, they wouldn't know which users are registered for Era Clear, so their decisions are independent of this. I cannot complain about such a system, I am working for a website, that offers a similar thing (with a Patreon support site), where being a paying member also does not, in principle, protect you from a ban and we see who is a paying member. On the other hand, with our website, outside of commercial spammers, bans are very rare, I think over the last two years only one active member has been banned.

Kagey K

Banned
Well, ideally, they wouldn't know which users are registered for Era Clear, so their decisions are independent of this. I cannot complain about such a system, I am working for a website, that offers a similar thing (with a Patreon support site), where being a paying member also does not, in principle, protect you from a ban and we see who is a paying member. On the other hand, with our website, outside of commercial spammers, bans are very rare, I think over the last two years only one active member has been banned.
I’m thinking admins or people that look over the (duration pending) bans have access to that info.

Maybe it’s just me. It could just be some conspiracy theory on my part, but they definitely have the ability to make judgement calls, based on this info.

Yoshi

I’m thinking admins or people that look over the (duration pending) bans have access to that info.

Maybe it’s just me. It could just be some conspiracy theory on my part, but they definitely have the ability to make judgement calls, based on this info.
Being in principle able to access the data is not a huge problem for the matter if the want to abide by their own standards. If they are serious about their standards, it is sufficient if the data is not provided to them involuntarily. Then they can decide to not let their judgement be compromised by that data. Since, as far as I know, Resetera admins are not posting here anymore, we cannot know, unless C Cerium might feel like commenting on it. Or you, should you have a non-banned Resetera account, may just ask on there and keep us posted :).

Yoshi

I forgot in the last posting (and due to how linking users works, I need to make this a separate posting): Nobody_Important Nobody_Important said he is friends with some moderators at Resetera, so maybe he could ask whether they have systems in place to keep moderation decisions unaffected by Clear membership?

Kagey K

Banned
Being in principle able to access the data is not a huge problem for the matter if the want to abide by their own standards. If they are serious about their standards, it is sufficient if the data is not provided to them involuntarily. Then they can decide to not let their judgement be compromised by that data. Since, as far as I know, Resetera admins are not posting here anymore, we cannot know, unless C Cerium might feel like commenting on it. Or you, should you have a non-banned Resetera account, may just ask on there and keep us posted :).
Lol I dare not. I have been tempted to reply a few times, but nothing good will ever come of it, so I just stay logged out.

I feel at this point the second I log in they will ban me before I click post.

Yoshi

Lol I dare not. I have been tempted to reply a few times, but nothing good will ever come of it, so I just stay logged out.

I feel at this point the second I log in they will ban me before I click post.
If you never log in to that account, being banned would hardly be a big loss ;).

Kagey K

Banned
If you never log in to that account, being banned would hardly be a big loss ;).
Meh it gives me a good feeling knowing it’s there.

It’s obviously really going to be discredited since it’s a year old and has under 20 posts.

I guess I could post “yikes” lots if I wanted to boost the post count,

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
So...they didn't left the site when (O)Besada came out as using dirty-handed tactics to ban and silence other members?
They didn't left the site when their admins collectively (and still are in ERA) were doxxing people and other identities?
They didn't left the site when Bishop was running low on excuse for not delivering a product in quality time?
They didn't left the site when RalpReport ousted Opiate as a pedo?
They didn't left the site when Amirox was arrested for CP?

But they left the site when....well you know what?

I say it right here and now, that everyone, every, single, one that is on ERA right now is part of the problem, is part of the problem mentioned above.
I, personally don't want anyone, anyone, from this lot to come back here, ever again. I don't care if he is a vocal minority or a silent majority.

Acerac

Banned
Go date a lovely pure transwoman you fucking transphobes.
In all seriousness do not do this thing. It's kinda fucked up that the more I deal with trans individuals the more afraid of them I am. I think transphobia these days more means disliking the group, but I legitimately am afraid of them.

It's a goddamned shame because a few I've met seem like really cool people? I've just never seen a population so likely to be aggressive and hostile before. Those like Excel are doing untold harm to the perspectives that others hold on the community.

JordanN

Banned
Two new race baiting threads:

White Domestic Terrorism | The Grapevine
https://www.resetera.com/threads/white-domestic-terrorism-the-grapevine.85718/

The OP even bumped his own thread after 50mins. Gotta push the narrative at all costs.

Does the Second Amendment Protect Only White Gun Owners? (ACLU)
https://www.resetera.com/threads/does-the-second-amendment-protect-only-white-gun-owners-aclu.85685/

Strange, Do you think we'll ever see a thread on FBI crime statistics? Probably not.

Also, lol at this weak ass excuse.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/white-domestic-terrorism-the-grapevine.85718/#post-15761505
91SZI06.png

All those millionaires shooting up the inner city. It's clearly about money.

Last edited:

Blam

I see that @EviLore already predicted the ''Im already Tracer'' meme years before Overwatch was even a thing. ;)

Seeing this back and forth it reminds me of the Crab Song meme. ;)
Clearly we know where the moneys coming form.

Also lmao their still trying to jump hoops for Jaffe

tkscz

What hoops are their left to jump? He made his piece and point. Why play the mental gymnastics? Why can't they just go "oh ok" and leave it there?

Yoshi

They didn't left the site when RalpReport ousted Opiate as a pedo?
I have no idea what Ralpreport is, but has there ever been any evidence to support that claim? I only know of the thread where he argued about the difference between pedophiles and child abusers.

Redneckerz

I bet ya. Tyler effectively created Tik Tok in that gif, he just was not aware of it.

Imagine the possibilities if it were. NeoGAF 6.0 would be a thing already, running on Malkaveli, the successor to Xenforo. ;)

I have no idea what Ralpreport is, but has there ever been any evidence to support that claim? I only know of the thread where he argued about the difference between pedophiles and child abusers.
Its called The Ralph Retort, and the site ran a multi-article story on Tyler, The Creator.

There is something to be said of so much words dedicated to one man that isn't Neil Degrasse Tyson. And its not of a particular kindness.

IIRC Opiate banned a victim of pedophilia because he claimed she was unfairly besmirching pedos.

Ivellios

It’s a fictional story

The story may be fictional, his post was not.

I could write a bunch of terrible stuff too, like killing sick and homeless people, under the guise of "i would only do these things in a movie of course".

This is just the way i see it.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

That dude had been a problem at Era since it launched. He came in along with other various parody and troll accounts around the same time. They all had the same general modus operandi. They all had names of real people and/or used images of political figures as avatars. They all had a similar sarcastic or disingenuous way of posting at times. They all intentionally danced along the line of ban worthy posting as if they knew exactly what is and isn't acceptable. So I am pretty sure the staff have been paying close attention to such accounts as a result. There was even a similar account a few weeks back that was perm'd and that one was using Ruth Bader Ginsburg as their identity like that account used Scaramucci except instead of acting like a sarcastic dick like the Mooch account that one acted like a feminist parody. Most people on Era assume they are either the same person or the same group of losers trolling for lolz.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

The story may be fictional, his post was not.

I could write a bunch of terrible stuff too, like killing sick and homeless people, under the guise of "i would only do these things in a movie of course".

This is just the way i see it.
531712.jpg
.... that's not a bad idea at all.
phil.png

That dude had been a problem at Era since it launched. He came in along with other various parody and troll accounts around the same time. They all had the same general modus operandi. They all had names of real people and/or used images of political figures as avatars. They all had a similar sarcastic or disingenuous way of posting at times. They all intentionally danced along the line of ban worthy posting as if they knew exactly what is and isn't acceptable. So I am pretty sure the staff have been paying close attention to such accounts as a result. There was even a similar account a few weeks back that was perm'd and that one was using Ruth Bader Ginsburg as their identity like that account used Scaramucci except instead of acting like a sarcastic dick like the Mooch account that one acted like a feminist parody. Most people on Era assume they are either the same person or the same group of losers trolling for lolz.
... But what do you think of the behaviors of:
  • Excelsiorlef
  • Beefy
  • Enzom24
  • RedMercury
  • SweetNicole
  • Slayven
  • Nepenthe
  • All these others from the Little Helpers and The Names?
I am not criticizing your post, i just find it peculiar that this user warranted an analytical comment from you, but more consistently problematic people under mod protection/are mods themselves are not addressed. You said you were friends with some of them, so i wonder if you would be criticizing their behavior as equally as you did to this user, should their behavior warrant that criticism.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
531712.jpg
.... that's not a bad idea at all.
phil.png

... But what do you think of the behaviors of:
  • Excelsiorlef
  • Beefy
  • Enzom24
  • RedMercury
  • SweetNicole
  • Slayven
  • Nepenthe
  • All these others from the Little Helpers and The Names?
I am not criticizing your post, i just find it peculiar that this user warranted an analytical comment from you, but more consistently problematic people under mod protection/are mods themselves are not addressed. You said you were friends with some of them, so i wonder if you would be criticizing their behavior as equally as you did to this user, should their behavior warrant that criticism.

Do you have any specific examples? I need more than just names if I am gonna give a proper response. I will say though that none of those are people I have ever really interacted with aside from Excel in a few threads and SN when she helped me with a few moderation issues. Edit: Actually I take that back I forgot Slayven frequents the comics threads.

Also I have asked before but I still have no idea who the "names" are. You have never actually posted a list of them as far as I know so I have no idea who you are talking about.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Do you have any specific examples? I need more than just names if I am gonna give a proper response.
So how many would you want? I assume you can read this thread on its names first and formost, but the names mentioned don't ring any bell to you? Because sure, i can give you a few examples, i just want to gauge what is sufficient for you, if you want examples of every listed name and how many, and so on..

I will say though that none of those are people I have ever really interacted with aside from Excel in a few threads and SN when she helped me with a few moderation issues. Edit: Actually I take that back I forgot Slayven frequents the comics threads.
And you have interacted with the aforementioned user?

Also I have asked before but I still have no idea who the "names" are. You have never actually posted a list of them as far as I know so I have no idea who you are talking about.
Have you? Because i would given that list as soon as i would see you quote me with that rest.
That's my own list. Then there is also the VIP list by the banbot. No surprises, they are similar:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom