• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
And i am not referring to those German Dino.

[QUOTE="Yoshi, post: 253697770, member: 6294"
I can get the timeline correct, you just choose to limit @Nobody_Important's statement in a way you see fit to complain about them.
This is exactly why i say you should back out of this one, because this is the kind of backhanded jab that will put you into that discussion that
  • A you aren't part of
  • B is now let go of off this thread.
Since you found that post, you can also find the two reminders that would eventually lead up his lengthy comment. That's it. All the other posts are around the apology. Like at this point, even I don't give a shit about it anymore.

I also told you to take it to DM, so ill humbly tell you once more, please take it to DM if you think it is needed.[/QUOTE]
If you want to take something to DM, write a DM. If you post on the forum, I'll respond to that. I do not think what I wrote is a backhanded jab, it is just my impression of your posting behaviour in this instance. Maybe I am wrong, then sorry for asserting intention where there is none, but to me, this is the only plausible explanation.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Is Redmercury a real person?

A troll?

I dunno, that dude has got to be the most virtuous person to grace this earth.
He speaks for women, minorities etc.. and says EXACTLY what needs to be said to signal loud as fuck at how woke he is.

I'd give an eye just to meet him and Excelspreadsheet in person.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

A troll?

He speaks for women, minorities etc.. and says EXACTLY what needs to be said to signal loud as fuck at how woke he is.

I think his main goal in life is to one day become a ResetEra moderator.

bigedole

That's assuming that your son chooses to pee his pants. Chances are he does not, but hasn't fully learned to control his peeing yet. Thus, it would be unfair for him to be mocked for it. If it was just bad (intentional) behaviour, I'd be more understanding of your position, but if chances are that his peeing himself is not a choice of his, I think your wife's position is the more reasonable. Similar to the Resetera thing: Mocking someone for being gay / trans / handicaped / ...? Bad form, that's hardly a choice and if negative consequences are associated with it, the people already need to live with that. Mocking someone for demanding safe spaces (for things not associated to mental disorders, where this concepts originally comes from), for extreme language policing or similar? Fair game, this is a choice and you can definitely mock the idea without it being unfair. The border case is religion, where it is of course fine to ridicule beliefs, but when it comes to e.g. stuff like "being a jew", which is an identity and not even necessarily (strictly) bound to a set of beliefs, then it becomes shady.

He's 5, he's peeing himself because he just doesn't care enough to stop doing what he's doing and go to the bathroom. It should go without saying that bullying someone on account of their immutable characteristics is a bad thing. Bullying in general is bad. However, I don't see teasing someone because they did something stupid as bullying. The pendulum has swung too hard the other way in places that proport to be anti-bullying, to the degree that the end result is simply coddled adults who don't understand how to handle legitimate criticism or disagreement. Very few people in this world are special, and NOBODY deserves to be treated as if they are special to the world. It has led to a generation of extremely inflated egos and people with ridiculous expectations for the world.

I liked this take on it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He's 5, he's peeing himself because he just doesn't care enough to stop doing what he's doing and go to the bathroom. It should go without saying that bullying someone on account of their immutable characteristics is a bad thing. Bullying in general is bad. However, I don't see teasing someone because they did something stupid as bullying. The pendulum has swung too hard the other way in places that proport to be anti-bullying, to the degree that the end result is simply coddled adults who don't understand how to handle legitimate criticism or disagreement. Very few people in this world are special, and NOBODY deserves to be treated as if they are special to the world. It has led to a generation of extremely inflated egos and people with ridiculous expectations for the world.

I liked this take on it.

I blame Billy Madison for the pee your pants acceptance moving forward. Ironically the movie came out when most of these people were born or were kids and watched it, and are now "adults".

;)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

A troll?

He is the modern day equivalent of the "nice guy". The dude who tries to say what others want to hear all in a vain attempt to get into their pants.

Acerac

Banned
If that is going to be the case (And perhaps we should need a poll for this?) then ill resign from this thread and put it under the caps.
It always comes across as shitty when people want to shut down conversations because they no longer like participating in them.

Hurts because you're a really cool dude. :(

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This should not be shut down, this isn't ResetEra. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Careful not to become the very thing you criticize. ;)

It also serves as a purpose for people who are new members tired of walking on eggshells over there with their dogmatic cult-like ideology, or people who are banned for speaking outside the group-think rather than have it spreading to other threads since venting fresh frustration is natural.

If you personally need a break from it, then take a break and unsubscribe if you are. If you don't look at it it's no longer a concern nor "exists".

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’ve never been to resetera, but I like checking in this thread every now and then for a laugh and to see what a shit show they are. No need to shut it down fun police.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Are those lads (or non binary species) even allowed to go outside on their own?

What I've learned over the last few years..theres a few groups that attract the the most bizarre folks around the net..

1. Furries
2. Steven Universe fans (I believe they've taken the bronie crown)
3. Speedrunners
4. K-pop fans
5. HARDCORE Nintendo fans

These groups tend to overlap like a venn diagram.

YEyWUtX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What I've learned over the last few years..theres a few groups that attract the the most bizarre folks around the net..

1. Furries
2. Steven Universe fans (I believe they've taken the bronie crown)
3. Speedrunners
4. K-pop fans
5. HARDCORE Nintendo fans

These groups tend to overlap like a venn diagram.

YEyWUtX.jpg

I dunno. I am a "hardcore" Nintendo Fan, at least to the point where I buy needless merch from the late 80s because it has the Nintendo Logo on it.

Not a furry, hate speedrunning with a passion unbeknownst to man, Steven Universe is one of the worst shows I had ever had the displeasure of watching, and I prefer J-Pop to K-Pop. :D

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dunno. I am a "hardcore" Nintendo Fan, at least to the point where I buy needless merch from the late 80s because it has the Nintendo Logo on it.

Not a furry, hate speedrunning with a passion unbeknownst to man, Steven Universe is one of the worst shows I had ever had the displeasure of watching, and I prefer J-Pop to K-Pop. :D

I think he's referring to people that dress up like a poor man's Link going to a room that looks like it's a special-ed at comic/gaming conferences, play Ocarina of Time in front of each other and throw temper tantrums and cry.

Yes those videos exist, we all seen them, you don't strike me as that type of person LOL. But more of a hardcore hobbyist in general buying up nostalgia. Not the emotional attachment types I see over at the other place and in gaming meetups.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
And redneck is pissed because he didn't get verafied for being involved with some shitty dutch site nobody cares about. :messenger_poop:
What is that supposed to mean? I mean honestly?

I didn't listen to the podcast so why should i be upset, really?

And why are you calling that site shitty oit of nowhere?

It always comes across as shitty when people want to shut down conversations because they no longer like participating in them.

Hurts because you're a really cool dude. :(
Dont get me wrong (as apparently people did): if this thread remains, ill just step down in activity.

I do remember people were voicing support for thei idea
This should not be shut down, this isn't ResetEra. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Careful not to become the very thing you criticize. ;)
I only know it was an idea.

But yeah, catch me a break will ya. I dont have a sadistic pleasure into being aware that a different site likes to condone various wild behavior.

Grinchy

Banned
I like this thread it's good for laughs and a good read.

USA USA USA

I get why some people don't like this thread. What I don't get is why they'd want it shut down instead of just not clicking on it anymore.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I get why some people don't like this thread. What I don't get is why they'd want it shut down instead of just not clicking on it anymore.

Can’t just not look at things you don’t like anymore. Gotta get em banned. It’s all about me me me.

Last edited:

Acerac

Banned
It's a real shame. This thread helped me figure out just how fucked the situation was on ERA, it seems silly to want it shut down because any given member is tired of replying to it.

I can't overemphasize how down I was before I learned about their community. This thread helped me quite a bit with my mental situation, the idea that it would be taken away for those who would desire it as a reference later seems cruel.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.” -C.S. Lewis

Redneckerz

Are those lads (or non binary species) even allowed to go outside on their own?
And redneck is pissed because he didn't get verafied for being involved with some shitty dutch site nobody cares about. :messenger_poop:
Oh now i get it. Jesus man, thats literally months ago.

Even more so, i was being sarcastic in that regard. Thanks for calling it some shitty dutch site nobody care about for no reason. Really, that was so needed.

If you can’t laugh at brainwashed idiots, what can you laugh at?
Other brainwashed idiots. Like Incelsheet and RedBurgundyMercury.

Repetition repeats.

It's a real shame. This thread helped me figure out just how fucked the situation was on ERA, it seems silly to want it shut down because any given member is tired of replying to it.

I can't overemphasize how down I was before I learned about their community. This thread helped me quite a bit with my mental situation, the idea that it would be taken away for those who would desire it as a reference later seems cruel.
Remind me not to speak on this matter again given how so many took an eye to it.

Also, in the scenario i had drummed up, the thread wouldn't be sent to oblivion.

Acerac

Banned
Remind me not to speak on this matter again given how so many took an eye to it.

Also, in the scenario i had drummed up, the thread wouldn't be sent to oblivion.
I see. Perhaps I misinterpreted what you said here:
I am more inclined to have this topic locked in full anyway and only have special events be recognizable as a thread.

That seemed a lot like wanting the thread closed.

If you wish I'd be happy to remind you that people dislike it when their avenues of discussion are taken away from them, but I'd have thought you were a smart enough fella to get that yourself.

I legitimately feel like I'm missing something. Why are you surprised that people are annoyed that you want a thread locked solely because you dislike the discussion being held there?

Redneckerz

That seemed a lot like wanting the thread closed.
Locked as in that its still viewable ofcourse, and with a redirect to the thread with a specific index of topics to look for. As some kind of archive. This has been a topic not long ago on the Discords however where this idea seemed to be having some support. So there obviously is some merit to the idea (although i threw it in as a quick jab and not really explainatory)

I also have to add in for transparencies sake that at that moment of writing i was in a lesser state of patience than usual.

I legitimately feel like I'm missing something. Why are you surprised that people are annoyed that you want a thread locked solely because you dislike the discussion being held there?
Let me reinstate it differently then: The general idea for which i was going (And perhaps that should be outlined later), its a valid suggestion, right?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The thread is fine and should be kept open. If you don't want to post here, simply don't. It is very easy to ignore a single thread on a site.

Redneckerz

The thread is fine and should be kept open. If you don't want to post here, simply don't. It is very easy to ignore a single thread on a site.
I don't really understand your tone in this case, but i do think it was a valid suggestion to make. Ideas, right? No?

Acerac

Banned
Let me reinstate it differently then: The general idea for which i was going (And perhaps that should be outlined later), its a valid suggestion, right?
Sure. I just strongly disagree with it and am shocked that the negative response is surprising to you.

We don't need JordanN starting dozens of threads. This is far more tidy... though perhaps we could at least agree to merge this and the ERA thread as they seem to largely share a purpose?

*Edit*

Out of curiosity, may I ask which discords these convos happen in? If they are private I'd understand, but if the conversations are relevant then perhaps I'd find it easier to just hang out there.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Sure. I just strongly disagree with it and am shocked that the negative response is surprising to you.
I blame that on my incredibly short description of it + general impatientness.

Lest not forget that not every option has to be absolute - I remember the staff also wanting to eventually move towards a different approach, which may see both ideas or elements of it combined.

And to be fair, my (more nuanced) take on it is that this thread could possible evolve into something different, still related to ERA talks, but... less accusatory? More analytical? I dunno. I am just shooting a few blanks here.

We don't need JordanN starting dozens of threads. This is far more tidy...
In the suggestions that arose, Jordan would not be able/allowed to make those dozens of threads as neither of his news would be that important for a thread. It would be more along the lines of something that generates a lot of discussion on the site or off-site, that then a thread would be made.

though perhaps we could at least agree to merge this and the ERA thread as they seem to largely share a purpose?
I figured the other one was going to be locked?

Out of curiosity, may I ask which discords these convos happen in? If they are private I'd understand, but if the conversations are relevant then perhaps I'd find it easier to just hang out there.
Just the public Discord here

Acerac

Banned
I really appreciate how positive your view of people is, but given the circumstances I am fairly confident that keeping a level tone when it comes to ERA will be... difficult.

While merging the threads makes sense (why do you like the idea of locking threads so much?) outside of that I am having a tough time seeing any long term benefit to these ideas.
I think his main goal in life is to one day become a ResetEra moderator.
It's clearly a parody account meant to ratchet up the extremism as much as possible while maintaining that woke status. It's really strange nothing has been done to them yet, the mods/admins can't be blind to this...

Last edited:

Blam

While merging the threads makes sense (why do you like the idea of locking threads so much?) outside of that I am having a tough time seeing any long term benefit to these ideas.
That other thread already got locked lmao. That was locked a couple weeks ago.

Acerac

Banned
That other thread already got locked lmao. That was locked a couple weeks ago.
Shows how much attention I've been paying.

They released a spinoff for one of my favorite games and I didn't find out til months afterwards! Not spending all day reading gaming forums constantly is scary!

Hell, I've been GAFing too much today. I'ma go do a couple stuffs.

Ivellios

Huh, i never saw this thread from this point of view and now that you mentioned you are right.

If someone is banned after being dogpiled and accused unfairly of being a nazist, racist, sexist and misogynist then they may feel very depressed about it.

So this thread might help these persons to realize that outside that bubble, he is completely normal and those who accused him that are in the wrong with fanatic and extreme views.

So thanks for the input.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
And to be fair, my (more nuanced) take on it is that this thread could possible evolve into something different, still related to ERA talks, but... less accusatory? More analytical? I dunno. I am just shooting a few blanks here.
That's on the users though, hardly something you can mandate. You won't get anything analytical out of JordanN in regard to this topic, for instance, so no matter if you split it up into separate topics or not, you will get a good number of shitposts. Either way, as it stands, this is some kind of chat thread with Resetera postings as discussion starters, from that standpoint, the thread serves its purpose without doing much harm to anyone.

Papa

Banned
It gets worse....

Ramsay is a cunt too now apparently.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/go...esurfaced-interview-with-sofia-vergara.92184/

They really are getting pathetic. Fucking hell.

Hahaha I fucking love Ramsay, so the reactions in that thread are extra hilarious for me. He's just a cheeky rags to riches lad who loves a bit of banter. If those worthless sacks in the Ree thread had ever worked in a high pressure job like a high end kitchen (or any job for that matter), they would know that such cheeky banter is part of how you get through your shifts without wanting to end yourself (or others).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.” -C.S. Lewis

Love C.S. Lewis along with Douglas Adams, but I can't help but think my domesticated animals can reason better than most humans nowadays.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think the list would be shorter that those insufferable cunts don't hate over at that cult.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
https://www.resetera.com/threads/weve-reached-peak-nazi-jonathan-pie.92121/

Threads like this is what makes me question my sanity sometimes. I mean I know they are fringe but damn it's like no one even disagrees.

It's pretty revealing and I think behavior like this is also pretty common.

Jonathan Pie (I know it's just a character) does a good job of keeping the left in check. He's not Right Wing but also he's not willing to just let the Left do whatever they like without pushback.

For anyone who wants their "side" to be successful it's important to have these checks and balances that stop things from going too far or getting out of control.

For some people though anything less than the complete and utter destruction of their opponents is unacceptable.
This kind of approach almost always leads to total defeat because as time goes on the number of people willing to support more and more extreme views and actions will decrease.

How people reacted to Hillary Clinton is a good indicator.

For a sane and normal person the perspective is that if a candidate wants my vote they have to earn my vote.
Then you've got the party "fans" who will always vote for whoever is "R" or whoever is "D" on the ballot depending on their preference.
THEN you've got the more deranged types who insist that anything other than a vote for their specific candidate is an overt act of evil.

What you hope for is people who can say "if Hillary is the best we have to offer then we need to be better overall".
What you don't want it people who respond to that with "if you don't vote for her you are just as bad as Neo-Nazis".

It's the old "guys who just want me to talk about Science and Atheism and don't like my Feminist content are worse than rape threats".
Ultimately it's a losing strategy.

The response to "Jonathan Pie" ought to be "you know what maybe we should protect free speech and maybe everyone who disagrees with me isn't a Nazi". Instead they just want to double down.

So where are we at now? If you want the Left to do better you really need to shut up because any opposition to the most extreme elements gets you thrown into the pot with the Nazis.

How can they not see that this will lose them so much support?

I think we would agree that Trump and Brexit were big shocks. Almost like nobody was aware of what the public were REALLY thinking.
I can guarantee you that there are many people who were silent the whole time and who went out and voted Trump because they had just had enough.

What if none of that has changed? What if it's gotten worse?

What would it take for folks like those on ResetEra to realize maybe their way does more harm that good?
Lose the minority votes? Maybe the Republicans take one of the big blue states?

The states that swung the last election were all states that had been blue for decades.
Blaming it on Russians or Nazis seems like a good way to not figure out exactly why things happened the way they did.
That then becomes the platform for even bigger shocks in 2020.

These people are everything wrong with the Left and they are arguably fueling the Right.

Papa

Banned
It's pretty revealing and I think behavior like this is also pretty common.

Jonathan Pie (I know it's just a character) does a good job of keeping the left in check. He's not Right Wing but also he's not willing to just let the Left do whatever they like without pushback.

For anyone who wants their "side" to be successful it's important to have these checks and balances that stop things from going too far or getting out of control.

For some people though anything less than the complete and utter destruction of their opponents is unacceptable.
This kind of approach almost always leads to total defeat because as time goes on the number of people willing to support more and more extreme views and actions will decrease.

How people reacted to Hillary Clinton is a good indicator.

For a sane and normal person the perspective is that if a candidate wants my vote they have to earn my vote.
Then you've got the party "fans" who will always vote for whoever is "R" or whoever is "D" on the ballot depending on their preference.
THEN you've got the more deranged types who insist that anything other than a vote for their specific candidate is an overt act of evil.

What you hope for is people who can say "if Hillary is the best we have to offer then we need to be better overall".
What you don't want it people who respond to that with "if you don't vote for her you are just as bad as Neo-Nazis".

It's the old "guys who just want me to talk about Science and Atheism and don't like my Feminist content are worse than rape threats".
Ultimately it's a losing strategy.

The response to "Jonathan Pie" ought to be "you know what maybe we should protect free speech and maybe everyone who disagrees with me isn't a Nazi". Instead they just want to double down.

So where are we at now? If you want the Left to do better you really need to shut up because any opposition to the most extreme elements gets you thrown into the pot with the Nazis.

How can they not see that this will lose them so much support?

I think we would agree that Trump and Brexit were big shocks. Almost like nobody was aware of what the public were REALLY thinking.
I can guarantee you that there are many people who were silent the whole time and who went out and voted Trump because they had just had enough.

What if none of that has changed? What if it's gotten worse?

What would it take for folks like those on ResetEra to realize maybe their way does more harm that good?
Lose the minority votes? Maybe the Republicans take one of the big blue states?

The states that swung the last election were all states that had been blue for decades.
Blaming it on Russians or Nazis seems like a good way to not figure out exactly why things happened the way they did.
That then becomes the platform for even bigger shocks in 2020.

These people are everything wrong with the Left and they are arguably fueling the Right.

Where are we at now, you ask? We’re at the point and laugh stage. Their extremist ideology is in a death spiral as it consumes itself. They are constantly losing but they never learned how to lose, so they hold their breath, stamp their feet, and throw temper tantrums like Veruca Salt. They’re overgrown children; they deserve to be scorned, not feared as they expect.

Redneckerz

Where are we at now, you ask? We’re at the point and laugh stage. Their extremist ideology is in a death spiral as it consumes itself. They are constantly losing but they never learned how to lose, so they hold their breath, stamp their feet, and throw temper tantrums like Veruca Salt. They’re overgrown children; they deserve to be scorned, not feared as they expect.
The one thing i find very revealing is that to most of us, its just a side-play you do (or don't on the day), where people work, interact, make appointments, attend meetings.

For (a lot) of them, its literally their entire life. When you see a certain thread being made, all the details come out. That singular thread is literally the life representation of one individual.

It is both scary and bizarre at the same time. As you know, a ton of people do have other things like proper hobbies or interactions, but these lot.. Their day is spent arguing whether Mario is a proper plumber or might-just-be-a-nazi as he has a mustache. And you know who also had a mustache???

Just a little sidestep to our boi Jason Lacour: He loves pizza. And talking about it. You should know it aswell, after all, why else would you put that on Twitter? So there you go. Use this new wisdom wisely when you send prank pizza's along his way.

Papa

Banned
Oh and how I laugh.

And laugh and laugh.

In the process of trying to ban humour, Ree itself became the joke. This would make for a good Far Side comic. Speaking of Far Side, here are a few that sum up the Ree experience:

Posting as a straight white male:
images

Posting as someone without a mental illness:
images

Posting literally anything:
zLKm2PB_d.jpg

The Eye of SweetNicole:
lbN1Lwt_d.jpg

Redneckerz Redneckerz attempting to make peace with the hostile tribe:
images

Before the ROGD sets in:
far-side-dogs.jpg

Papa

Banned
The one thing i find very revealing is that to most of us, its just a side-play you do (or don't on the day), where people work, interact, make appointments, attend meetings.

For (a lot) of them, its literally their entire life. When you see a certain thread being made, all the details come out. That singular thread is literally the life representation of one individual.

It is both scary and bizarre at the same time. As you know, a ton of people do have other things like proper hobbies or interactions, but these lot.. Their day is spent arguing whether Mario is a proper plumber or might-just-be-a-nazi as he has a mustache. And you know who also had a mustache???

Just a little sidestep to our boi Jason Lacour: He loves pizza. And talking about it. You should know it aswell, after all, why else would you put that on Twitter? So there you go. Use this new wisdom wisely when you send prank pizza's along his way.

I’ll send him a big sausage pizza on your behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom