• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

ah she is better than that, she is a white trans woman, the most powerful minority ever, so her comments shall be unchallenged. all the privilege of the white male body she was born into, plus untouchable status in the SJW community due to whatever pronoun she wants to use. shut up and listen to this hypocrite call out others for appropriating japanese imagery while posting shitty deviant art anime ripoffs all day long.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

As usual the "Yikes" crowd on Era has to come in and ruin one of the genuinely best things to happen out of E3 so far this year. Leave it to them to take an overwhelmingly positive reaction to a female presenter and spin it into something negative and shameful, and be offended on behalf of someone who isn't offended at all.

Thankfully there are a surprising number of people in the thread who aren't having any of the bullshit.

Shit, threads like that make me wonder if these folks have an friends outside the internet. Maybe they are just young and inexperienced or something.

Outside of work, though not always tbh, there is no area of normal life where a dude expressing that he thinks a woman is cute, or pretty or attractive is seen as abnormal.

Fucksakes. Imagine literally being friends with some of these folks. You're at the bar on a Saturday night and a nice lookin woman walks past you. "Jeez, she's hot as hell, maybe I'll go over and say hello" you say to your friend. He replies "you know it's just not appropriate to comment on a woman's appearance, don't you dare talk to her unless it's to ask her about her career or her achievements".

That poster, Crossing Eden, comes across as a colossal fucking bore. Obsessed with refereeing how women are talked about and breaking something as simple as "she's a total cutie" into a fucking philosophical essay. "Even ResetEra isn't ready for this conversation". Oh shut the fuck up you fucking bore.

Man, I'd love to round these lads up and sit them at a table in a busy nightclub basically anywhere in the world and watch the fucking scales fall from their eyes.

They really think real life can, nevermind should, be controlled like this? The lady presenting for Bethesda last night was super-cute, so fucking what? We need the thought police to come in and make sure nobody is thinking that instead of "oh my she's an independent career woman in a male dominated field and so she shall get somber and sincere reverence"?

What a bunch of mentally and socially stunted individuals.

Saruhashi

Banned

is today "how many ways can we wig out about Cyberpunk" day?

some twitter idiot named Cybersloth taking it upon themselves to call out the use of Japanese imagery in cyberpunk.

do i even need to say that their profile picture is a furry relaxing on a couch under a parody Akira poster? and that she is a US based fan artist who draws anime ripoff art when not blasting others for cultural appropriation?

imperialism for me but not for thee

It's the usual stuff.

Some fat western guy (Irish guy in this case, I believe) goes to Japan for a vacation and suddenly is an expert on Western-Japanese relations. (The art appears to have been commissioned by the owner of the Twitter account, it isn't their art)

Just this time there is a bit of SJW seasoning.

Going to Japan from Europe in the 90s, 00s and even up to now the sense of technological advancement is striking.
So it becomes the basis of a reference for futuristic story-telling. Not much more than that.
I would bet that MANY a writer or artist has gone to Japan and taken major inspiration from what they've seen.

It has nothing to do with promoting some underlying fear of being "taken over".

Even take Akira as an example. Late 80s animation from Japanese creators that is unlike anything seen in the West at that time.

I think it's poor form to represent western fiction, and science fiction, having a fascination with Japan as some kind of negative thing.

How does this absolute cretin think the tourist industry works?
We only travel so we can sneer at how others from around the world live?

Fuck it. Why don't we let some random Irishman who holidayed in Japan once tell us all about what the Americans REALLY meant about the Japanese when they were creating the Blade Runner movie.

I wonder if this is how Gender Studies classes work? You get given a random topic and you have to come up with the absolute wokest take.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Tales from my ass.

What IS interesting though is how some on ResetEra take the Twitter thread as "educational".

That's the point we are getting to.
I read it on Twitter and it appeals to my bias in some way so therefore it's "educational".

Fucksakes. I really do despair sometimes.

Of course, already, any kind of objection, to what is basically one persons extremely uneducated opinion, there is met with snarky "Can you genuinely expect anything different from gamers™?"

These guys REALLY want to hate Cyberpunk 2077.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
That poster, Crossing Eden, comes across as a colossal fucking bore. Obsessed with refereeing how women are talked about

according to the profile CE identifies as male. so yeah just another man deciding how women should be portrayed & aggressively making sure their opinion is dominant.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

So they are cheating jackasses? Cool to know. Hopefully they lose their divorce and most the SOs get most of their shit. I am all for prostitution being legal - giving people a safer alternative to what we have now - but don't go defend cheaters. If they have to rely on sex from elsewhere, they aren't "happily married". Far from it.

This + severe, untreated mental issues = ResetEra/Far-Left.
Your rigid reverence to Judeo Christian morality and standards is commendable. Your need to paint the world in broad strokes of black and white and expect others to agree with your metric not so much.

The thing is, cyberpunk was a fear of a Japanese corporate takeover, but it was actually a fear of a lot of other stuff. The automoton cubicle farms that we'd force people into, basically livestock to feed the corporation. The disillusion of identity as we increasing replace our minds and body parts with cybernetics (a human ship of Theseus), not to mention the personification of computer creating literal identities out of machines. A fear of multiculturalism replacing cultural identity with a mish mash of things, ultimately creating a schizophrenic identity that is everything and nothing at the same time. The breakdown of society, where the dregs only barely to manage to hold on to their self identity as outlaws, working against a system trying to assimilate them.

Cyberpunk is the anxiety of the 80s given form, and amazingly, probably the most accurate science fiction genre there has ever been. Not just in predicting technology like the internet, but also in the replacing individual identity with group identity through an obsession with social media. Our iPhones aren't technically part of our bodies, but for most people, they might as well be. And the reality inside those little computers is perhaps more real than what happens in actual reality. With the way we are ostracizing people in favor of group think, it is increasingly becoming the outlaws (the non-PC) which retained a sense of individuality, all the while corporations are encroaching into the personal aspects of our lives to create better consumers, hiding behind slick glamors. How is Wikipedia and the email leaks showing our politicians to be corporate stooges any different than the cyberdeck cowboys in Neuromancer, trading information as currency?

I mean, we're there. Cyberpunk is only the future in its excess, not its ideas.

Frankly, if you look at cyberpunk and the only thing you take away from it is that "we be scared of Japanese people, yo", then you missed the entire point of the genre. The point is that we are scared of everything, and justifiably so, as corporations and technology replace us, bit by bit. But if you grew up with corporations are your nanny, connected at all times to the internet and invisible personas pretending to be real people, you might not know why the 80s were afraid of this time and what they were trying to warn against.

Saruhashi

Banned
according to the profile CE identifies as male. so yeah just another man deciding how women should be portrayed & aggressively making sure their opinion is dominant.

Yup. He sounds like the boring as fuck lad on nights out who is already married but does everything he can to undermine the single lads as they try to meet women.

Don't you DARE call that Asian woman cute!!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Cyberpunk is the anxiety of the 80s given form

i like this take. however, i consider the roots of cyberpunk to be science fiction that predates dystopia. college lit class for me actually introduced Mary Shelly's Frankenstein as the first cyberpunk novel, which i kind of agree with. the body/horror element is a big part of it, and dealing with identity, as you point out. you could say the industrial revolution and final imperialist mappings of the globe laid the technological background for insecurity.

for me, dystopia was the mode for sci fi post-The Cold War. once we stopped dreaming of rockets that took us to the moon, we knew it would be rockets that would kill us all. dystopian sci fi blew up, and all the 70s sci fi films are concerned with it, as a reaction to that, the globe-spanning apocalypse people lived with daily for decades. Japan had been living with the reality of that apocalypse since being nuked and firebombed in the 40s. thus Godzilla and a host of nuclear apocalypse inspired dystopian sci fi from there while the US was still hamming it up with military 50s flying saucers films.

as for the multi culturalism in cyberpunk literature (saying this as having actually re-read Neuromancer in the past year) has to do with showing how far society has come. like the multi culturalism is not "we should be scared this could happen!" but it's there to say, "yeah, we know the world will get smaller and smaller, but we will not kill each other off, but learn to live together, and by mixing cultures so blatantly we are demonstrating this story takes place in that very future". the multiculturalism of cyberpunk has always had the opposite effect for me, of promoting it. the people in those stories aren't going around saying "What? That's a Japanese name?" they are just immersed in this environment where multi cultural knowledge is key to survival.

then again i'm not coming at this from a weak "everyone line up and let me educate you on how this is bad" angle

Last edited:

HUELEN10

They actually locked a thread that was including choices for otherkin and being inclusive towards them, but allow a furry community with otherkin? That’s hypocritical.

Not commenting on validity/lack of validity of otherkin, just pointing out blatant hypocrisy.

CyberPanda

Banned

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I honestly don't see the point in this thread.
You're not actually discussing anything, just getting mad that a publisher is letting a smaller publishing firm sell their games.
The AMA from a while back only happened because the owner of the /v/ board on 8ch reached out to THQ Nordic to do an AMA. 8ch is not a famous site and looks like any other forum. In addition, claims of hosting CP were done by users and the boards in question were removed by site owners as it is against the global site rules.
You're just getting angry for no reason

Banned!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Once upon a time, Empire Strikes Back was considered a bad movie and The Phantom Menace was considered a good movie.

more gold from the Nazi-Killer Indiana Jones is a Bad Person thread

Last edited:

Typhares

Banned!
They replied:

To be clear, we are overjoyed to bring Red Faction to physical format. Agreed that it was bad wording for the tweet, and for that we apologize. It should've been clearer.

We are not overjoyed with THQN's AMA on 8chan, to say the least, and in no way endorse it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
They replied:

To be clear, we are overjoyed to bring Red Faction to physical format. Agreed that it was bad wording for the tweet, and for that we apologize. It should've been clearer.

We are not overjoyed with THQN's AMA on 8chan, to say the least, and in no way endorse it.

I thought it was pretty clear they were excited about releasing the game. I don’t think they needed to clarify they were not referencing the AMA no one remembers. Let’s see if that is good enough for ERA.

Edit: no, not good enough

Last edited:

Typhares

I thought it was pretty clear they were excited about releasing the game. I don’t think they needed to clarify they were not referencing the AMA no one remembers. Let’s see if that is good enough for ERA.
I think you already know the answer to that :p

Ol'Scratch

These guys are so annoying.
It becomes harder and harder to not just lose my shit over there.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
BronsonLee
17 minutes ago

Yeah I like all the side characters a lot in Raiders, Sallah is rad too

wait a minute, he likes the Welsh actor portraying an Egyptian? a man who has performed brownface a number of times, he is cool with that? but he hates Indiana Jones for portrayed as a sexist (men as sexist in the 30s? no way)

im sorry, this thread is just infuriating. it entirely ignores Marion, who has an awesome role, and plenty of freedom, even in her "toxic relationship" with Dr. Jones. she is introduced running her own bar in Nepal, as a total badass, drinking people under the table, then not backing down when confronted by 3 Nazi interrogators. were this the 30s and Indy in real life, she would be a housewife, taking care of his kids, not have this kind of autonomy. none of this is mentioned in that thread. she is also not a toothless damsel in distress, but you kind of have to force her into this stereotypical role if you want to make Indy out to be the bad guy. Bronson Lee is taking away her agency in order to white knight for Marion.

also, yes Raiders is considered a well made film, with great cinematography and a tight script, a spellbinding soundtrack, and incredible casting. things are laid out and payed off later on (the date, introduced by Marion in a scene with the money, later on this is visually repeated, to a silently shocking deadly effect). Speilberg is a legend because of movies like this. the fact that people can suddenly lose all critical ability to discern real artistic craft when it is staring them in the face, it is beyond silly. they are stewing in their own ignorance.

the idea that Indy never being there would have not changed a thing is silly. he was the US govt's man on the inside, he is what led them to that island, and first and foremost, he is what stops the Nazi interrogator from torturing Marion with a red hot poker, causing them to lose the headpiece, and gaining the US a head start via intel on the Ark recovery operation. his seeking out his old flame (and they join together as partners, based on her insistence) was crucial to the mission.

anyways yeah ignore it all, she was too young, hate him forever, burn the film, kill your brain /s

Last edited:
That poster, Crossing Eden, comes across as a colossal fucking bore. Obsessed with refereeing how women are talked about and breaking something as simple as "she's a total cutie" into a fucking philosophical essay. "Even ResetEra isn't ready for this conversation". Oh shut the fuck up you fucking bore.

FYI, Crossing Eden is a legitimately crazy and racist person. He used to go by UmbranAlchemist and at one point Eden's Cross, at which point he was a MASSIVE Darksydephil fan (yes, you read that right) and would defend him no matter what. He then got into an animation school and was constantly behind on his projects because he needed everyone on the internet to know how much he hated Japanese people and everything they produced. On Era, he has defended the practice of failing students in one class for taking an anime class that the SCHOOL OFFERS, something that the initial controversy led to the teacher responsible for saying that getting DRAGGED on Twitter. And take this with a grain of salt, but there's rumors that he's done that himself, lowering the grades of ESL Asian students if they so much as say they like anime and/or use it as inspiration.

And of course he was one of the worst posters on pre-meltdown gaf, but no one ever banned him because the lunatic mods gave him immunity or something. That same thing is happening right now on Era despite the fact almost no one likes him.

Last edited:
They apologized to them? Lol

I wonder if a bunch of us whined about that, would they issue an apology for the previous apology?

Apologyception?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Your rigid reverence to Judeo Christian morality and standards is commendable. Your need to paint the world in broad strokes of black and white and expect others to agree with your metric not so much.

Not christian. I just don't support being a cheating cunt. Your constant need to talk down to folks who disagree with you and claim they see the world in black and white isn't commendable either. It is just sad. Do better.

JordanN

Banned
What the fuck?

96028yF.png

I'm obviously aware he is not talking about those kind of "camps", but I still find it disturbing that SJW's are now getting closer and closer to being parody levels of fascism/communists.

What's the solution to male managers feeling uncomfortable around female co-workers? "Send them to camps!" Says the SJWs.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Not christian. I just don't support being a cheating cunt. Your constant need to talk down to folks who disagree with you and claim they see the world in black and white isn't commendable either. It is just sad. Do better.
You do not have to be Christian to be living by the ideals. Morality and monogamy are religious doctrine. The entire concept of "if someone has sex with someone other than their partner is cheating" is the purest black and white. You do not support "cheating" more power to you. You are a small little nothing in the sea of humanity trying to look down on people for choices they make in their lifestyles yet you look to come at me saying that I am looking down? Come now.

Barnabot

They apologized to them? Lol

I wonder if a bunch of us whined about that, would they issue an apology for the previous apology?

Apologyception?
And yet it still baffles me that companies wanna have an account there just to get dog pilled while they are issuing an apology... for nothing .

Don’t you ever dare to kneel to them.

It's their equivalent of "the age of sony is done".
It seems like they just wanna ruin THQ sales. It's not about victimization anymore. It's about watching THQ getting burned and watching that with glee in their eyes.

Barnabot

I don’t know how much you know about Diggeh and Ms Galaxy (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are a big part of it.
I have an educated guess that at least one of them is a (master) troll who pulls the victim card whenever it fits the need and other might just the fool who thinks is fighting the good fight.

Saruhashi

Banned
https://www.resetera.com/threads/limited-run-games-overjoyed-to-partner-with-thq-nordic.122252/
Oh no, Limited Run is CANCELLED! But they release all the game they love, the dilema!

Some of these people are complete assholes.

So I am pretty damn sure that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are all openly selling THQN games on their storefronts.

So these clowns have surely gotten rid of their consoles and will not support MS Sony and Nintendo at all until evil THQN are removed from the platform?

Nah the "big 3" are good leave them be.

Limited Run Games though? Well thats a small company. Maybe we could bully them into submission.

What a buch of wankers. Literally picking on a small company while ignoring COMPlETELY that THQN games are openly and enthusiastically sold on PS, XBOX and Switch.

Thought ResetEra was supposed to be all against that bullying and harassing of the "little guy".

What happened to punching up instead of punching down?

Saruhashi

Banned
FYI, Crossing Eden is a legitimately crazy and racist person. He used to go by UmbranAlchemist and at one point Eden's Cross, at which point he was a MASSIVE Darksydephil fan (yes, you read that right) and would defend him no matter what. He then got into an animation school and was constantly behind on his projects because he needed everyone on the internet to know how much he hated Japanese people and everything they produced. On Era, he has defended the practice of failing students in one class for taking an anime class that the SCHOOL OFFERS, something that the initial controversy led to the teacher responsible for saying that getting DRAGGED on Twitter. And take this with a grain of salt, but there's rumors that he's done that himself, lowering the grades of ESL Asian students if they so much as say they like anime and/or use it as inspiration.

And of course he was one of the worst posters on pre-meltdown gaf, but no one ever banned him because the lunatic mods gave him immunity or something. That same thing is happening right now on Era despite the fact almost no one likes him.

It's insane how many people there seem to think that they are the good guys. While they act like complete shitheads.

scanferr

"If you don't care about these issues one way or the other, don't bother telling us that in this thread".....

Discuss! But only if the discussion is one-sided! Otherwise, i don't want you to talk.

ERAtants (noun): members of the militant website ResetEra; irritating posters of aforementioned site. Also see clown(s).
Major echo chamber. I can't stop laughing.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
If these fucks are so pure that they're going to boycott anything THQ and anyone that deals with them, then let's see them out their money where their mouths are and quit gaming, since every console manufacturer does business with THQ.

So either man up and back up your shit or shut the fuck up with the holier than thou puritan bullshit.

Last edited:
Wait they are trying to boycott Limited Run for working with THQ? What about, every other gaming company like Sony and Microsoft?

Confirmed to not be limited run customers

I’m sure the majority there isn’t acting that way tho.

Ol'Scratch

Still on the Cyberpunk threads I am seriously picturing these people reacting like being slapped in a Dave Chappelle skit everytime someone uses the word gay or cocksucker and falling out of their chair like grannie in the life alert commercial everytime they see a tweet that offends them

KazenY2J

As usual the "Yikes" crowd on Era has to come in and ruin one of the genuinely best things to happen out of E3 so far this year. Leave it to them to take an overwhelmingly positive reaction to a female presenter and spin it into something negative and shameful, and be offended on behalf of someone who isn't offended at all.

Thankfully there are a surprising number of people in the thread who aren't having any of the bullshit.
Literally got banned in that thread for telling someone who was saying how the fanart was "fetishizing" Asian women and told him not to speak for her cause she appreciated all the fanart she got. It was a "personal attack" yet another person in that same thread said she needs to be "re-programmed" with no punishment.

nush

Gold Member
They replied:

The worst thing they could have done is to acknowledge those loons, predictable dog pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom