• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melon

Banned
Any you losers got published on Esquire? Isamu did you Neotards.
School Sucks!
Sure, you were miserable and unpopular in high school, just like this eighteen-year-old. But he used his frustration to write a novel, one that got him a three-book deal, and you're still paying for therapy.
54d55d525090a_-_isamu-fukui-042108-lg.jpg

"We have never failed school -- it was school that failed us."
This line was taken from my current project, a sequel to my first novel, Truancy. It reflects my feelings and my experiences after twelve years of public education. In Truancy, rebellious students take up arms against a tyrannical system. I found my voice when I raised my pen against a broken system.
I began creative writing at the age of thirteen, first as a curiosity, and then as a hobby. I had fun writing fan fiction for my favorite videogames and television shows, and this introduced me to the joys of creation. During my first year I was fascinated with my own literary experimentation and growth. I flitted in and out of fan fiction communities where I could observe the efforts of others, and learn from their mistakes and successes. Each new discovery as a writer excited me, and as a consequence I learned much faster than I ever had in school.
After a little over a year, my abilities abruptly reached a chasm that needed to be bridged. I was now convinced that I had some measure of talent. However, it was one thing to apply that to an already existing universe, with established characters and plot. It was quite another to create my own from scratch.
My first attempt to leap across the chasm ended in failure. I started off by attempting a fantasy novel, a genre I was familiar with. I had an interesting premise, a lengthy outline, and an original and detailed world. But by the time I'd gotten a couple hundred pages in, I decided that what I had simply was not good enough. I abandoned the project at a crossroads in my life -- the point where parents and teachers start to explain that the goal of your existence should be to get into college. But in school I was suffering. I was unpopular, unappreciated -- even by my English teachers -- and struck every day with the feeling that I did not belong.
Only today, after years of contemplation, can I quantify what it was that bothered me: compulsory schooling punished independent thought, demanded passivity, rewarded uniformity, and sought to make me dependent upon instruction rather than confident in my own ability to grow and learn. College, unlike much of high school, is noncompulsory -- and I hope that it might be better.
Thanks to my writing I knew that, contrary to what some of my teachers told me, I was capable of growing and learning on my own. The time had come for me to either prove it to the world, or else slip through the cracks, another casualty of the system.
Thus Truancy was born. As I planned this novel, which would embody my frustrations with school, I felt that I was literally writing for my life. Then on summer vacation after my freshman year, at the age of fifteen, a mere two years after I first started writing, I completed my first novel at the rate of one chapter per day. I told the story of a student uprising against an oppressive educational system -- I depicted school harming others as it had harmed me.
This time it was not an experiment, but a passion piece. My experiences became the fuel that drove my writing, and ever since then I have returned to school intent on collecting more. The writing of Truancy was a defining point in my life. Had I failed, I'm not sure that I would ever have tried again. I couldn't afford to fail, and in the end I think that is why I succeeded.
I am eighteen years old now, and I've since written a second book, a prequel to Truancy, which is to be published next year. I have also begun work on a third, for school has not changed, even if I have.
I find myself much more relaxed now. Unlike the typical student, I work hard during my summers and tend to be as lax as possible during the school year. Writing has become an annual spiritual journey for me, derived from my family's traditional vacations. I travel somewhere isolated (usually the forests of Maine) and within a day my mind and body settle into a routine -- wake up, revise, write, sleep, repeat. Methodically I take my notes and outlines, accumulated over the past year, and then transform them into a complete novel. Each year I note my own improvement. In spite of being a high school student, I am still learning by myself, still growing -- and I don't ever intent to stop.
About the author: Isamu Fukui attends Stuyvesant High School in New York City. He first started writing for fun at the age of thirteen. The following year, he won a National Gold Award and a Regional Gold Key in the Science Fiction/Fantasy category of the Scholastic Art and Writing Competition. The first book in his trilogy, Truancy, was recently released by Tor. Esquire 2008.

did y'all hear somethin'?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that you think you need to prove your masculinity to random denizens of a video game forum means you’re a soyboy by default.

What does it say about youthat you took that seriously?

Maybe don’t take the soy meme seriously and learn to laugh at it

Is this the internet tough guy version of "do as I say, not as I do?"?

Did you do it whilst wearing a skirt or do you not wear skirts anymore?

I've worn plenty of skirts, unlike you I have nothing to prove. But for this I wore a kilt. Barefoot, no underwear.

Papa

Banned
What does it say about youthat you took that seriously?

Is this the internet tough guy version of "do as I say, not as I do?"?

I've worn plenty of skirts, unlike you I have nothing to prove. But for this I wore a kilt. Barefoot, no underwear.

What are you on about? Lighten up.

Helios

uh oh, don't want to piss off Kotaku

So sensitive...

FevWnym.png
Aand thread locked and the OP banned. Like clockwork.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
And I only ever see you post in this thread.
He posted in the Control thread defending the ugly character design. Lots of posts and lots of salt.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
5666.jpg

Cheebo
There is a strong racist and sexist tilted hate group who can’t stand current Star Wars and will harass and doxx any woman or minority who they find who likes it. This is not a Twitter or social media issue. This doesn’t happen to people who like current Marvel films. Or other franchises.
lol this fuckwit throwing everyone who gets racially or sexually harassed online who isn't a Star Wars fan under the bus. apparently it's the only series where this sort of thing happens. it isn't the fact that this woman is hugely famous on social media and that Twitter is an inherently toxic medium. no. social media is famously a very forgiving and chill place! seriously!

:messenger_loudly_crying: just the endless anti fan takes from this whole thing. i bet this woman was a fcking plant tbh

Last edited:
Just went through that kotaku stuff..could see that coming a mile off...why would you piss off probably one of the last relevant gaming article sites which still has not ran any article around the pedo discord accusations....The offsite doxxing of devs and the zoe q shit which would be easy clicks .....if they really wanted to they could bury era with just a few articles but we have one user trying to eat his own.

As much as I hate some of the articles on kotaku I can separate my dislike for them sucking up eras ass and the agendas and appreciate some of the cool stuff they have sometimes

They are starting to eat their own now....this is gonna be a fun ride

bucyou

I ate soy today, but I also finished building a rock wall in the garden (made from rocks i broke off bigger rocks with a sledgehammer etc). Gaf tells me I'm a soyboy pussy, but my work make me think I might be able to tip you over with nothing but my pinky.

I'm confused. Please advice.

be09aaf228b98c2eb3c49b4690f27c7adbf569519349f36cec1b829330e8490a.jpg

Mista

Banned
I ate soy today, but I also finished building a rock wall in the garden (made from rocks i broke off bigger rocks with a sledgehammer etc). Gaf tells me I'm a soyboy pussy, but my work make me think I might be able to tip you over with nothing but my pinky.

I'm confused. Please advice.
They’re CLEARLY having fun with you and all of this is not serious. Why are you taking it seriously?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Do they not understand why cops are trained like this?
That would require effort on their part to understand. Its just going to turn into an all cops are bad thread. Even the women and poc cops. All bad. All evil.

Ribi

Hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom