• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
CygnusXS said:
So the Braves are interested in Pettitte? Ugh. He's not a bad pitcher, but he's not what the team needs at all and certainly not for the contract he's asking for. If they were willing to give friggin Burnett $80 million, I just really don't understand their hesitancy on Lowe.
Yeah I don't know why the Braves are not more interested in Lowe either. Could be that they don't want to give 3-4 years to a pitcher that old. They might be willing to go after Pettite though since he might take a 1 year deal. Personally, I'd rather get lowe.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Windu said:
Yeah I don't know why the Braves are not more interested in Lowe either. Could be that they don't want to give 3-4 years to a pitcher that old. They might be willing to go after Pettite though since he might take a 1 year deal. Personally, I'd rather get lowe.
I'd still love for them to take a chance and offer Sheets an incentive-laden two year contract. 2009 is a lost cause anyways, so if he goes down it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but if he could stay healthy (which admittedly is a mighty big could), we could have a really strong rotation in 2010. Sheets/Hanson/Jurrjens/plus maybe Hudson is a very solid 1-4, with innings-eater Vazquez rounding it out. It'd probably be better in the longterm than signing Pettitte/Garland for one year or Lowe for 4/5 years.

Marvie_3

Banned
Lambtron said:
I won't badmouth Pohlad on the day he dies. RIP, Carl. I just hope whoever has the club now is a little looser with the purse strings, especially with Mauer hitting FA after the 2010 season.
Yeah, I agree with you there. The new stadium plus new ownership could really put the Twins in great shape for the future. The new stadium is coming along nicely...can't wait to see it completed.

NewLib

Banned
Yankees have completely fucked up the pitching market this year. Lowe wants AJ Burnett money, when no one else in their right mind would have given AJ Burnett that money.

Pettitte won't take the money?

Goddammit, Andy!

Up the offer to 12M.

After that, fuck him; sign Sheets and go to war with:

Sabathia
Wang
Burnett
Sheets
Chamberlain

With Hughes/Aceves/Kennedy/Coke ready to eat innings and make emergency starts as necessary.

Joe

NewLib said:
Yankees have completely fucked up the pitching market this year. Lowe wants AJ Burnett money, when no one else in their right mind would have given AJ Burnett that money.

A.J. Burnett is a 3 WAR starter, and he’s being paid as one. This is a buyers market, and the Yankees are absolutely thriving in it. A lot can be said for spending money and a lot more should be said for Brian Cashman and the Yankees paying these free agents exactly what they’re worth. Of course, the Yankees are one of the few teams who can pay what they’re worth, but that might be a market inefficiency within itself.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/aj-burnett-to-the-yankees

NewLib

Banned
Joe said:
A.J. Burnett is a 3 WAR starter, and he’s being paid as one. This is a buyers market, and the Yankees are absolutely thriving in it. A lot can be said for spending money and a lot more should be said for Brian Cashman and the Yankees paying these free agents exactly what they’re worth. Of course, the Yankees are one of the few teams who can pay what they’re worth, but that might be a market inefficiency within itself.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/aj-burnett-to-the-yankees

He will be break down by July. Im not going to say Carl Pavano because I think they will get some value out of Burnett, but he will prove to be the biggest mistake of this offseason for the Yankees by far.

Its not entirely the Yankees fault, Silvia's and Zito's contract are two prime examples of the stupid contract pitchers have been given the last few years.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
CygnusXS said:
I'd still love for them to take a chance and offer Sheets an incentive-laden two year contract. 2009 is a lost cause anyways, so if he goes down it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but if he could stay healthy (which admittedly is a mighty big could), we could have a really strong rotation in 2010. Sheets/Hanson/Jurrjens/plus maybe Hudson is a very solid 1-4, with innings-eater Vazquez rounding it out. It'd probably be better in the longterm than signing Pettitte/Garland for one year or Lowe for 4/5 years.
Hudson would still be the ace of the staff if we have Hudson/Sheets/Vazquez/Jurrjens/Hanson. Personally, I'm tired of seeing all the Braves pitchers getting injuried so I would rather get someone more dependeble than Sheets. Especially to keep Jurrjens and Hanson from having to pitch more than they should.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
NewLib said:
He will be break down by July. Im not going to say Carl Pavano because I think they will get some value out of Burnett, but he will prove to be the biggest mistake of this offseason for the Yankees by far.

wow, what a bold statement. the other moves are mark teixeria and cc sabathia, how ever could aj burnett be the mistake

Y2Kev

"Welcome to the Mark Teixeira press conference where I'd like to introduce everyone on the dais, it's a very special day because they are all retarded."

seriously, is this like a down syndrome conference

bluemax

Banned
This has been one of the best Mariners off seasons ever, and we have hardly signed anyone.

Finding out yesterday that the Mariners now employ the services of Tom fucking Tango is just beyond awesome. Finally the M's have the kind of intelligent front office we've been dieing for.

Now if MLB would hurry up and put two more teams in New York so that the Yankees and Mets can stop ruining baseball all will be well.

bluemax said:
This has been one of the best Mariners off seasons ever, and we have hardly signed anyone.

Finding out yesterday that the Mariners now employ the services of Tom fucking Tango is just beyond awesome. Finally the M's have the kind of intelligent front office we've been dieing for.

Now if MLB would hurry up and put two more teams in New York so that the Yankees and Mets can stop ruining baseball all will be well.

Wow, thats really cool. What's Tango's job position? I really like a lot of his work. I hope he's telling the M's that they should just trade every single veteran they have as soon as they put one good month together and start building up from scratch again. The Rangers are going to be good over the next half decade if they can get one more pitcher.

bluemax

Banned
Freest Rolexes said:
Wow, thats really cool. What's Tango's job position? I really like a lot of his work. I hope he's telling the M's that they should just trade every single veteran they have as soon as they put one good month together and start building up from scratch again. The Rangers are going to be good over the next half decade if they can get one more pitcher.

According to his blog he is an independent consultant working directly with Tony Blengino who is the Special Assistant to the General Manager and head of our Statistical Research department.

Apparently Tony reads The Hardball Times and is really interested in all of the new research on advanced defensive metrics. Probably explains why we already have one of the best out field defenses in baseball. Hopefully means the end of Yuniesky Betancourt in Seattle as well.

Fatalah

bluemax said:

Give us the Giants and Dodgers back!

Note: Baltimore is not allowed to have the Yankees back.

RETURN THE DODGERS TO BROOKLYN.

I would instantly and irrevocably yield to the need to rep my borough if they came home.

Also, Mark Texieira <3

The Frankman said:
1 year for $4 w/ an incentive-laden contract that could make it 2/12 million. Just to watch your heart attack.
son of a bitch

and yes, dodgers back please

i'd still be a mets fan, though, since i was born in queens

Fred Wilpon would defect from the Mets to the Brooklyn Dodgers like a Cuban in a life raft heading to the US if the Dodgers came back to Brooklyn.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
funkmastergeneral said:
except the supplement was available over the counter at places like GNC and was cleared by 2 nutritionists as being ok. the whole story is very shady.
Then why are the Phillies praising the MLB? It sounds to me like the over-the-counter point is an excuse but the rule was evidently in place.

Zep

Banned
Ahem...

He spoke to Michael Weiner at the PA and told him he did not know the cause of the positive test. On Oct. 1, Weiner told Romero that the specific supplemnent was indeed the cause of the failed test and that because it was purchased over the counter in the U.S. he believed the case would be dropped.

That same day, Oct. 1, Romero was again tested. The results were negative. So for the NLDS, NLCS and World Series, the supplement was no longer in his system.

Mrbob

eznark said:
Milton Bradley? Fuck you Cubs. Yankees/Red Sox of the NL!!! rabble rabble rabble

You know, your team is going to be so bad this upcoming year I almost feel bad making fun of them.

Almost.

Hopefully the Brewers can resign Dave Bush via arbitration so he can be your number two starter. :lol Enjoy your 70-92 season!

Mrbob said:
You know, your team is going to be so bad this upcoming year I almost feel bad making fun of them.

Almost.

Hopefully the Brewers can resign Dave Bush via arbitration so he can be your number two starter. :lol Enjoy your 70-92 season!

I'd watch it if I were you: Dusty Baker is an expert at making the cubs lose!

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:

Almost.

Sadly, I can't disagree with you. Hopefully Trevor Hoffman isn't completely washed up, however I definitely question the sanity of a GM who wants to pay big bucks for a closer when there are so many other holes. (YEAH! GOTCHA CINCINNATI!!)

Oh, and I am on record predicting a 74 win season as of today, Hoffman adds a win so if they sign him 75.

Y2Kev

Yeah, I agree, I mentioned this a while ago when the stuff about him being miffed at the Duquette Red Sox leaked out. He only looks retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom