• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Kosma

Banned
Latest 3 Updates:

12/07/2008: Huge update for GPU parts, new benchmarks etc. Some small updates as to how much memory to get, and what the minimum PSU is now. 3Dmark Vantage link added for Vista folks. Cut the CPU benchmark which clears up the thread a lot. Who needs filthy CPU's anyways!
17/03/2008 9800GX2 benchmarks: new king in town
03/03/2008: Added links to forums with tech stuff.
The Official 2008: "I need a new PC thread"

Thought I'd make one thread for all the folk that think about getting a new PC this year, it will be updated if anything major happens. There seem to be a few threads a week where the same questions are being asked so I hope this will help you out. If you have any questions just ask, there are tons of people here on GAF who know what they are talking about and can give sound advice.

This thread has been made possible thanks to contributions from:

WhatRuOn
Kabouter
Zoku88
MirageDwarf
SleazyC
SRG01
NovemberMike
Borys

Build it yourself or buy a premade?

There are numerous advantages to building your own PC. For starters it's much cheaper then buying a premade, plus you can have exactly what you want/need (customizing the looks, the noise level etc.) Building isn't very hard, even I succeeded on my first try. This thread in general will focus on building your own PC, but you can always ask questions about which parts to use for your prefab.

Some suggested sites for premades are Dell and HP, be aware that with some searching on the internet you can find awesome rebate's for the PC's you can purchase here. Especially Dell is known for having these which could save you up to 10% of the original price. Coupons can be found on sites like here or here but if you don't find any I suggest using google.

Do you have any spare parts already?

Chances are you already own a PC or two, if that's the case you can almost certainly salvage some parts for your new rig and save some cash that way. Having an OS or Monitor lying around really brings the cost down, but even salvaging basics like soundcard, HDD, DVD drive, casing etc can already bring down the costs significantly. Don't worry if you have an ancient PC with IDE HDD, even that can be used in the newest rigs with little problems (I use an oldie IDE drive in my new PC).

What's your budget and what do you expect?

Really think about it, the sky is the limit with PC's and if you don't make a budget for yourself you will never be able to make a "definitive" build. If you want the PC to last for 5 years you will need to aim at the best of the best hardware now and accordingly spend a lot of money. If you aim to keep this rig for less time you can easily spend much less money while staying competitive with the top rigs now, and by the time you build a new one in a few years your PC will outshine those guys that build 5 year future proof monster rigs. If you have all the cash in the world this obviously doesn't apply and you should get the best of the best, but for average joe this is an important question.

Choosing GPU

The GPU should be the most powerful piece of any gaming PC as games rely more on the GPU then on the CPU. If you don't agree with me and insist that having a Q6600 with and 8400GS is better then and AMD5000 with an 8800 that's fine, you're special, I get it. The choice of GPU isn't really that hard. You have to look at what kind of budget you have, and what you expect out of your card. Here is a handy chart from Toms Hardware comparing the different GPU's. It is extremely important to note that results vary per game.

The 8800GT and 3870 should be the bread and butter of any budget rig atm. At 100 euro/150 dollars they are truly great buys. The 3850 that I myself use is still a nice card for a basic system that can play all games, but the price gap has gotten really small to its big brother. Around the 150 euro/200 dollars mark the 4850 reigns supreme.

Top card per price range:
75 euro = Ati 3850
100 euro = Ati 3870
110 euro = 8800 GT
140 euro = Ati 4850
205 euro = Ati 4870

6g99x2.png

2z7rb77.png

2z870y9.png

Choosing CPU

Yeah the CPU is important, but it shouldn't be the bottleneck of your PC in most cases. Quad Cores are nice, but not necessary at the moment, a Dual Core will get the job done too, and can even be clocked higher. Quad Cores do have an advantage for some professional applications and some games like Supreme Commander though. Whatever you do steer clear of AMD Quad Cores for now, they are real underperformers for most tasks and games. If you're on a budget choose an AMD CPU (up to 120$ they offer the best value imho) , if not go for the new Wolfdale E8000 series from Intel. These new Intels are 45nm, don't use a lot of power, run cool and can be overclocked easily. Imho they are the best CPU's out there at the moment. Here's a handy chart from Toms Hardware again, for the game Warhammer Mark of Chaos

Handy link to CPU charts page

Choosing HDD

If you don't have a spare one lying around you're choice basicly boils down to size and speed. If you don't mind small size and have a nice budget go for a 10.000 RPM one , this will reduce loading times and speed up every other process too. If you're a normal joe like me you'll have a standard 7200 RPM one.

Choosing Mobo

Couple of things. Make sure the Mobo supports the CPU you choose, and at least DDR2 800 RAM. If you want a future proof Mobo, choose one which supports DDR3 memory which should come down in price this or next year.

Socket types:
LGA775: 65nm Core 2's, 45nm Penryn chips
AM2+: Phenom
AM2: Anthlon X2's and FX's.

Choosing Memory

Most people ask themselves if they should use 2, 3 or 4 GB RAM first. Then there are the stories that you can use only so much RAM with this OS etc. etc. Here are the facts as I see them (correct me if I'm wrong please): 32 bit OS systems (which most of use) only detect and use just above 3GB RAM. So unless you're using a 64 Bit OS you don't really need 4GB Ram anyways. According to 3Dmark, the PC with the highest score uses 2 GB RAM, and I would say that 2 GB is still a sweetspot. A more importan question then the amount of RAM is the speed of it imho. The price difference between DDR2 667 and DDR2 800 is so small that opting for DDR2 667 isn't really smart at this point. The faster 1066 is still a bit more expensive, but if you want that extra "umph" then it's definately worth it.

2GB DDR2 800 = 30 euro

12/7/2008: 4 GB Ram is now so cheap you should always get it. Always.

Choosing PSU

Many people will say that you shouldn't cheap out on the PSU because if it fries you're whole PC could, plus it helps with the stability of your system. I have a cheap ass PSU but I still agree with those people, spending 10$ more here for a decent one isn't a bad idea. But how much juice do you need? Don't go overboard! Some would suggest you need 750 Watt PSU's , don't be fooled, you don't.

With PC components demanding more and more power an increasing demand has been placed on the +12V rail. You now see most of the power going to the "hungry" components such as the GPU and CPU and it is important to look at the stability of the +12V rail and whether or not it can supply enough power to the components in your PC. Manufacturers are now shipping out power supplies with dual, triple, and quad rails which help in sharing the load.

The efficiency rating of a power supply determines how much energy is waste or lost when it converts the wall outlet power to the internal power components. A 75% efficiency power supply that generates 300W of internal power draws roughly 400W of power from the wall and thus 15% of this power is lost as heat. A good number to shoot for is 80% efficiency.

One more thing to look at when looking into buying a power supply is cable managements. Many new power supplies are modular and will allow you to yank out extra cables that are not plugged into any other components. This can free up clutter and allow for better air flow in your PC.

Power Supply Calculator

400 Watt = Enough for Ati 3850/Geforce 8800 , nice dual core CPU and one HDD.
600 Watt = Enough for 8800GTX/3870 X2 , Quad Core, several HDD's

12/07/2008: The new Ati 4xxx series are very power efficient, but you need at least 450 fore the Ati 4850!

OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply - $99.99 (After $35 MIR)
OCZ StealthXStream 600W Power Supply - $72.99 (After $10 MIR)
CoolMax 600W SLI & Crossfire Certified ATX Power Supply - $55.24 (After $30 MIR)

Choosing Casing

Choose something you think looks decent, and has room for a fan or two. But unless you're planning on doing extreme overclocking or something don't be bothered or seduced by cases that have millions of fans. In most cases you really don't need that much airflow. If you choose a cheap thin aliminium casing chances are it will be vibrating and a bit noisy.
The more expensive casing are pretty heavy so if you're planning on going to many LAN parties they may not be the best choice ;)

Benchmarking

If you really want to have fun, benchmark your old PC using 3DMark06, and then benchmark your new rig too. It's good for your E-Peen. My 3Dmark is just over 9000 at the moment. My old rig was 2400'ish. Nice upgrade. The best rigs are close to 20k though :lol

3Dmark can be found here

For Vista folks, here is the 3DMark Vantage.

Handy Links

Anandtech forums
Hard OCP tech forums
My Cheapo 399 euro PC build
Hardware centric forum
Tweaking game and system settings
Laptop Gaming Info, which GPU?

undead.jpg

Well that's it for now, this post will be updated, feel free to contribute!

Cheeto

Toms hardware charts don't have the 8800GTS-512 benched...Which is a pretty bad ass card that outperforms the GTX in Crysis, and can be had for around 300 bones.

Kosma

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Toms hardware charts don't have the 8800GTS-512 benched...Which is a pretty bad ass card that outperforms the GTX in Crysis, and can be had for around 300 bones.

Feel free to contribute benchmarks and links etc.

Kabouter

I'm not in the market for a PC or anything, but I would just like to add that you rule for making this topic Kosma. Nice information. Hopefully you'll keep it updated for when I DO need one :p.

Oh btw, I would like to suggest that when buying cases, people make sure that if it's aluminium, it's thick aluminium. Otherwise, you can get some annoying problems with vibrations, which is just horrible for an otherwise silent PC.

Cheeto

oo Kosma oo said:
Feel free to contribute benchmarks and links etc.
You got it...

Courtesy of anandtech

vsultracrysis19e27e91hv2.png

vsultrawic19e23d33jm9.png

vsultrahl219e25ffdio9.png

More at the LINK
But as you can see, for significantly less money you can get very close performance in most games. When you start cranking up the resolution and AA/AF though the gap widens, however at the high resolutions you don't really gain much fidelity from AA anyways.

dallow_bg said:
So from looking at the CPU chart, I don't want a Quad core?
Not really for games yet, with the exception of SupCom and maybe a few others. But professional apps like 3dmax or Premiere certainly benefit from quad cores.

dude

dude
Nice, I'm just building a new PC, bookmarked:eek:

BTW, I can't seem to find a good case that stands horizontally on my desk... Can anyone recommend me a good decently priced one?

scarybore

Many people will say that you shouldn't cheap out on the PSU because if it fries you're whole PC could, plus it helps with the stability of your system. I have a cheap ass PSU but I still agree with those people, spending 10$ more here for a decent one isn't a bad idea. But how much juice do you need? Don't go overboard! Some would suggest you need 750 Watt CPU's , don't be fooled, you don't.

That meant to be PSU?

Either way nice thread, I'm hoping to get a new PC this month and am still not sure if I am going to build myself or simply order one so hopefully this thread will help in that decision.

McHuj

Great! I'm looking too.

Has anyone had any experience with the Spider platform form AMD?

I'm thinking about pairing getting a Phenom, 3870, and a compatible MB. versus a Q6600 with the new Nvidia 9600.

The AMD version will probably be cheaper, but does the entire Spider platform get me anything other than a lower price?

Kosma

Banned
McHuj said:
The AMD version will probably be cheaper, but does the entire Spider platform get me anything other than a lower price?

The Phenom isn't really good actually it seems, even for it's price. So I wouldn't bother.

zoku88

I think you should add the different socket types for MB's and what line of CPUs are compatible with what, like

LGA775: 65nm Core 2's, 45nm Penryn chips
LGAWTV: THe 45nm chips coming out in the fall (I forget the name of the socket, maybe 771?)

AM2+: Phenom

AM2: Anthlon X2's and FX's.

Or something like that.

EDIT: Maybe add something about timings for RAM. I don't have an example since I don't know that much about them either >.>

EDIT2: I would also add in a recommendation for Intel Quad Core chips since some people might have an advantage using quad-core depending on other tasks they do.

MPW

the ONLY pc game I give a damn about is starcraft 2, so when I'm buying my new pc this summer, do I really need 8800 gt?

Just ordered THIS PC off newegg.com for $1,380 + Tax. I plan to use it strictly for gaming and digital art (including 3Ds Max). It seems to be a pretty good deal because it keeps going out of stock constantly. I got lucky and was able to order it last night while it was on sale for a few hours before selling out again. What do you think oh mighty GAF? Did I make the right decision? Thanks in advance!

Specs for teh lazy:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600(2.40GHz)
64 bit Quad-Core Processor (2 x 4MB Cache)
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB Video Card - running SLI Mode
3GB DDR2 800
500GB SATA
20X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
16X DVD-ROM
Realtek ALC883 6-channel CODEC
Built-in GB Ethernet LAN
580 Watt Power Supply
Windows Vista Home Premium

Should be here early tomorrow and will update with impressions for those interested :D

P.S. I've read some negative reviews of ibuypower, but two of my buddies have ordered their systems from them and I have yet to hear any complaints from them. Has anyone here had a bad expereince with these guys?

Vestal

Gold Member
Mister Chef said:
Just ordered THIS PC off newegg.com for $1,380 + Tax. I plan to use it strictly for gaming and digital art (including 3Ds Max). It seems to be a pretty good deal because it keeps going out of stock constantly. I got lucky and was able to order it last night while it was on sale for a few hours before selling out again. What do you think oh mighty GAF? Did I make the right decision? Thanks in advance!

Specs for teh lazy:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600(2.40GHz)
64 bit Quad-Core Processor (2 x 4MB Cache)
3GB DDR2 800
500GB SATA
20X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
16X DVD-ROM
Realtek ALC883 6-channel CODEC
Built-in GB Ethernet LAN
580 Watt Power Supply
Windows Vista Home Premium

Should be here early tomorrow and will update with impressions for those interested :D

P.S. I've read some negative reviews of ibuypower, but two of my buddies have ordered their systems from them and I have yet to hear any complaints from them. Has anyone here had a bad expereince with these guys?

Hmm I haven't run any test personally, but I believe you might be gimping yourself on the ram. But thats only if you are getting 3 dimms instead of 4. If your getting 2 1gig dimms and 2 512 dimms then you are ok, also I hope they are all the same make.

What make is that 580 PSU? Seems like pushing it with the SLI setup unless its a good brand. Oh and get an offboard soundcard, the onboard will drag your performance down quiet a bit.

xero273

zoku88 said:
LGAWTV: THe 45nm chips coming out in the fall (I forget the name of the socket, maybe 771?)

Are you talking about Nehalem?

The socket should be LGA1366.

Another important thing when looking at ram is the type of ICs they use. If you are overclocking, then D9GMH ICs is what you are looking for. This is what some people use to see what ICs the ram has. Sometimes it is wrong because manufacturers decide to use different ICs depending on supply.

http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

You should probably mention when choosing PSUs, it is also important to look at the amps for the 12v rail. There are many PSUs on the market that are high wattage, but 12v rail has weak amps. This is a good guide on PSUs.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=427508

New 9600GT benches for those that are interested.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3234

Kabouter

MPW said:
the ONLY pc game I give a damn about is starcraft 2, so when I'm buying my new pc this summer, do I really need 8800 gt?
While noone could say for sure, given that Blizzard hasn't said anything about specs for it. But I seriously doubt you'll need an 8800GT unless you plan on playing on one of those fancy HUGE PC monitors with 1920x1200 or even higher resolutions.

TaeOH

Rodeo Clown said:
Motherboards: do I get one with PCI Express 2.0?

I personally choose motherboards based upon the enthusiast overclocking community success, although I do have preferable manufacturers.

I check http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/ to see what the hottest boards are at the time of purchase. A main benefit of that is if the board is popular, the more likely you are to get help if things go wrong with the build.

IMO the main benefit to building your own is the quality of the parts you choose. For $1500 you can easily match what Alienware etc put in their $3-4000 systems. But if you are really trying to cut your budget to closer to $5-700, then you are awfully close to being in the price range that a Dell makes sense because you have to start cutting the same corners they do and not benefiting from their partner hardware deals. I never recommend an off the shelf system for a top flight gaming machine, but they can be alright for casual gamers, especially after they eventually replace the crap video card that usually comes with cheap systems.

Vestal

Gold Member
Some points as far as the PSU and the case..

The only Manufacturers I recommend when it comes to PSUs are SeaSonic, Antec, BFG(BFG because they get their PSUs from Sonic). I recommend these because they all use high quality parts. They do cost a bit more, but its well worth it. When it comes to PSUs is not only the Wattage, but the Voltage on specific rails that makes the difference, not to mention the rating under full load. Usually the rule of thumb is, the heavier the PSU the better it is.

Case is another aspect that ppl have to be very careful with, specially when you buy a graphics card like the GTX due to its size. Also air flow is always important, personally I usually go with 3 intake 3 out take fans, but it all depends on the amount of components inside your computer, and what type they are. Every 2 hard drives sort of warrants a fan. Just make sure to put the intake fans in the front/window, and the outtake fans in the back/top.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
you should flesh out the psu part, mainly cause i'm a nub at it and i don't know what's good :'( i do however know that a good psu is not just about wattage, there's more about the 12v something something and rails and shit and oh god i'm lost

e:^^beaten. also nice job

e2: for cases, you could put in antec sonata III - relatively cheap, comes with excellent psu - and antec sonata p180 as the bit more expensive choice but all around much better. those are really two good cases depending on how much money you've got to spend.

Gyruss

Mister Chef said:
3GB DDR2 800

You're going to end up only having about 2.25 GB of RAM, maybe a little more or less depending on the motherboard. Each video card's memory subtracts from the memory address space, and then the motherboard and all its devices needs its share of about .75 gig.

IIRC there is a problem with 32 bit Windows using a ridiculously small DMA transfer buffer when it is forced to use Physical Address Extension to address the last bits of RAM because Real Ram + Video Ram + 1 GB > 4 GB. It apparently doesn't always hurt performance, but it can.

Good discussion of the issue at http://groups.google.com/group/FireAPI/browse_thread/thread/7c29eadcaec64560

Maybe try only 2 gigs and see if it performs any better. I'd be curious to see the results.

Vestal

Gold Member
Gyruss said:
You're going to end up only having about 2.25 GB of RAM, maybe a little more or less depending on the motherboard. Each video card's memory subtracts from the memory address space, and then the motherboard and all its devices needs its share of about .75 gig.

IIRC there is a problem with 32 bit Windows using a ridiculously small DMA transfer buffer when it is forced to use Physical Address Extension to address the last bits of RAM because Real Ram + Video Ram + 1 GB > 4 GB. It apparently doesn't always hurt performance, but it can.

Good discussion of the issue at http://groups.google.com/group/FireAPI/browse_thread/thread/7c29eadcaec64560

Maybe try only 2 gigs and see if it performs any better. I'd be curious to see the results.

You are quiet right, since the 512x2 from the video cards will be added to the total system memory, and 32bit OS can only see 3.5gig.

SleazyC

Might want to flesh out some of the categories and maybe recommend some good choices as well. Here's an example I wrote for power supplies.

Power Supply
If there is one part that you probably should not skimp on it would be the power supply. As the name indicates, the power supply powers your system and being a cheap power supply could lead to several other damaged parts if the power supply should fail. When looking at power supplies, most peoples eyes tend to gravitate to the amount of watts that it pumps out. While the amount of watts a power supply can put out is important it is just as important to take a look at the rails and efficiency rating.

With PC components demanding more and more power an increasing demand has been placed on the +12V rail. You now see most of the power going to the "hungry" components such as the GPU and CPU and it is important to look at the stability of the +12V rail and whether or not it can supply enough power to the components in your PC. Manufacturers are now shipping out power supplies with dual, triple, and quad rails which help in sharing the load.

The efficiency rating of a power supply determines how much energy is waste or lost when it converts the wall outlet power to the internal power components. A 75% efficiency power supply that generates 300W of internal power draws roughly 400W of power from the wall and thus 15% of this power is lost as heat. A good number to shoot for is 80% efficiency.

One more thing to look at when looking into buying a power supply is cable managements. Many new power supplies are modular and will allow you to yank out extra cables that are not plugged into any other components. This can free up clutter and allow for better air flow in your PC.

All this being taken into account, a good power supply will usually run about $100 give or take with rebates, sales and deals. Good brands to look at are Antec, Seasonic, OCZ, Corsair, and BFG (Seasonic makes power supplies for both of these manufacturers). This is just a small sample of power supplies that I would personally recommend and many others exist out there that are just as good. Just make sure to pay attention to what you are buying and research up on the power needs of the components you are purchasing.

Helpful Links:
Power Supply Calculator

Current Deals (02/21):
OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply - $99.99 (After $35 MIR)
OCZ StealthXStream 600W Power Supply - $72.99 (After $10 MIR)
CoolMax 600W SLI & Crossfire Certified ATX Power Supply - $55.24 (After $30 MIR)

* Using Google Checkout with any of the items listed at Buy.com will knock another $10 for first-time buyers.
** Not all this info may be 100% correct so any corrections or added knowledge is welcome

TaeOH

I like what has been posted about power supplies. I personally have a Seasonic S12 600w and an Antec NeoHE 550w modular supply. The Antec is the later revision in which Seasonic actually makes the internals. Both are outstanding in the sound arena, very quiet PSU's. Both power beefy rigs.

I do prefer Modular cabling and highly recommend spending the extra cash to get it. I actually switched the Seasonic out of my gaming rig because of the modular cabling of the Antec even though I paid more for the S12 and it is slightly more powerful than the NeoHE. It is much nicer to manage in a system I regularly fiddle with.

Davidion

MPW said:

You don't NEED an 8800 gt, but for a card that you can find for about $200 right now on good deals, it's the most financially sensible choice unless you're going budget.

SRG01

There's actually a thread on [H]ardforum that talked about one of the HP slimlines. It's a pretty good deal and you can easily pop in a low profile card (I think it was a 8600).

I'd recomend editing in "build" into the title since "PC" is too short to search for and "build" is a likely search word.

Other than that, great idea. I was just thinking about the need for this the last few weeks with just how many "help me build a PC" threads there have been.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I also think I'll be good for a while if I just upgrade my vid card to an 8800GT. Actually, I think I'll be fine without it, as I'm not too demanding with regard to graphics; On the other hand, I LOVE shiny new computer parts.

larvi

A tip for the build it yourself types that live in the US and are lucky enough to have a local Frys and/or Microcenter. Both stores have regular specials where they will offer certain CPU or CPU/mobo combos as loss leaders to get you in the door and can be a great way to pick up parts for a good price. For example this week Microcenter is offering a retail boxed Quad Q6600 for $199 which is a great price:

http://cps7.00b.net/498/content_load/585/02.21.finalview.html

I use this site to view the ads for those stores since I don't get the local paper:

http://www.netaffilia.com/

Edit - forgot to mention, anyone who has just purchased or built a shiny new dual or quad core PC and wants to put it to good use, be sure to install the FaH SMP client and join team NeoGaf (team 51353) and start racking up some points. The FaH SMP client kicks ass pointwise and runs in the backround so won't interfere with your gaming/web browsing/whatever:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/FAQ-SMP.html

Danj

Davidion said:
You don't NEED an 8800 gt, but for a card that you can find for about $200 right now on good deals, it's the most financially sensible choice unless you're going budget.

The 9600GT performs almost as well and is $180 on newegg, so I think it's worth considering as an alternative to the 8800GT for those looking to get maximum value for money.

Davidion

Danj said:
The 9600GT performs almost as well and is $180 on newegg, so I think it's worth considering as an alternative to the 8800GT for those looking to get maximum value for money.

Yeah I haven't really seen much of a difference from recent reviews except that the 8800gt performs better at certain resolutions.

Nvidia needs to start distinguishing their product lines again.

Top Bottom