• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of people are being fooled (or convincing themselves) because Cavic's hand is obscured by the black portion of the touchpad as he lunged and it somewhat appears his hand is already on the wall when it isn't. It's more deciving in the super super slow mo (the original one is clearer).

laserbeam

Banned
wiid said:
doesn't it just measure weight? cavic could have touched it first but with not enough force perhaps.

the first measure of weight would trigger the pad. If it required a certain PSI then its the guys fault for coasting into the pad while phelps was hauling ass especially in a race where margins like this exist

Ceres

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
they have super slo-mo cameras right above the touchpoints. they checked and verified the result. trying to decipher who exactly won through a gif is a tad less sophisticated than what the IOC judges are using.

Not to mention a bad angle gif. When they have the other camera views up online it'll be more obvious.

Timbuktu

just read on bbc that rebecca adlington was born on the very day that Janet Evans set that 19 year old record she just beaten. obviously meant to be. :D

Kikujiro said:
Guys, I think there's one fundamental thing that is missing.
To activate the pad it needs 15kg of pressure, and even if they touched together, the pressure of Phelps was greater.

I could be wrong.

No.

I've used these things in the past and they register even the slightest 'brush' of the fingertips.

This technology will obviously have an error margin but it is minuscule and you can never hope to win an argument against it. It would be like a tennis player arguing against Hawk Eye, it's just not going to happen.

There's no point in looking at a gif either, it was far too close to tell and you're mind will rightfully nudge you in one direction anyway. Imagine showing it to a group of people who haven't seen the race, you would pretty much get a 50-50 split decision.

Cloudy

Banned
Do you just have to go against anything from the U.S.A.? Is that just the way you're programmed?

If the roles were reversed, people here would be crying foul if Phelps was denied a protest. I'm objective, sue me :p

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Cloudy said:
If they really wanted to avoid controversy, they should have accepted the protest. It looks very shady this way IMO...
shady? no not really. This isn't like in gymnastics where they have humans deciding the winners. This is a fucking computer. A very, very, very, very ,very, very, very...etc x10 accurate computer.

fse

Windu said:
shady? no not really. This isn't like in gymnastics where they have humans deciding the winners. This is a fucking computer. A very, very, very, very ,very, very, very...etc x10 accurate computer.

is it running windows?

The Hermit

I can´t believe you guys are arguing about 0.01s... everyone saying the can "clearly" see the difference is lying but it doesn´t mater cause in the end...

Phelps won.

AirBrian

The sensitivity of the pads is a moot point. They have high-speed cameras directly over the finish point. The judges used those to confirm what the touch pads already said.

The GIFs are great, but if you're seriously debating who won based on an off-angle animated GIF, you probably shouldn't be debating.

I'm from near where Tyson Gay is from... and I must say, he probably got fast running from his classmates with a combo of his voice and his last name. Kids are relentless.

Timbuktu said:
just read on bbc that rebecca adlington was born on the very day that Janet Evans set that 19 year old record she just beaten. obviously meant to be. :D
That's some coincidence. It's amazing what happens when we spend some money on training and decent facilities, she should be completely unstoppable in 2012.

TEAM GB!
TEAM GB!
TEAM GB!

vas_a_morir said:
Are you a Brit? They are so negative about Great Britain.

Yeah I am. After ruling the world to ruling shit we've become quite a self deprecating bunch. It is also part of the reason why I find patriotism incredibly stupid and laughable (America and dictatorships love rocking that shit).

Of course I'm hypcritical cause it's nice to see people from round here win things, hell I'm Northern Ireland so I'm stretching it as it is, but it is Great Britain AND NORTHERN IRELAND bitches.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
MrPing1000 said:
Yeah I am. After ruling the world to ruling shit we've become quite a self deprecating bunch. It is also part of the reason why I find patriotism incredibly stupid and laughable (America and dictatorships love rocking that shit)

Star-Spangled Banner > all

The most hilarious angle out of all of this is people saying that Cavic didn't touch the wall with enough pressure :lol

You realize his fingers are attached to his ENTIRE BODY

Phelps definitely won.

The story isn't how Phelps clutched it, but how Cavic totally choked the last 10 yards. I mean really, it was his race to lose, and he did.

Ceres

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
The most hilarious angle out of all of this is people saying that Cavic didn't touch the wall with enough pressure :lol

You realize his fingers are attached to his ENTIRE BODY

Pfft. His body was not moving forward in anyway. What do you think this was? A race or something?

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/15/business/OLYLIU.php

Swimming: Doubts voiced as unknown wins a gold for China

BEIJING: It did not take long for the rumors and innuendo to bubble up.

Shortly after Liu Zige touched the edge of the pool at the Water Cube on Thursday and grabbed China's first gold medal for swimming in the Beijing Olympics, the doubters began to question how an unknown 19-year-old could have shaved more than a second off the world record in the 200-meter butterfly.

It did not help suspicions that the silver medalist, Jiao Liuyang, was also Chinese.

Oh yes, and Jiao broke the world record, too.

"Until Beijing, I'd never heard of either of them - just who are they?" asked Jenny Schipper, whose daughter, the Australian swimmer Jessicah Schipper, had been the reigning world champion until Thursday. She ended up in third place behind the two Chinese swimmers.

Pawel Slominski, the trainer of the Polish swimmer Otylia Jedrzejczak, called the results "not rational." Susie O'Neill, a former Australian swimming star who took home gold in Atlanta in 1996, called the victory "just weird."

There are a few probable answers to such weirdness. Either Liu slipped through China's anti-doping dragnet - a charge her coach angrily denied - or she is a beneficiary of those high-tech seamless body suits. And only a heartless cynic would deny the kinetic lift provided by the howling Chinese fans who dominated the stands Thursday.

A more likely explanation, however, is that Liu is an exceedingly successful product of Project 119, the government training program that uses limitless resources and relentless training to increase the country's medal count.

Started in 2002, the program's name alludes to the additional number of gold medals China might win if it focused on sports in which it traditionally lagged.

Swimming, as it happens, was one of those sports.

Until Thursday, almost nothing was publicly known about Liu, except her age, weight and height. Since her win, however, the Chinese media has helped fill in the void, calling her story a "fairy tale of the ugly duckling."

In 2004, she was plucked from the northeastern province of Liaoning and brought to Shanghai to enter China's sports mill. Within a year, she was a promising member of the Shanghai swim team. "You never need to worry about her not practicing hard enough," her coach, Jun Wei, told the state-run China Daily newspaper.

By 2007, she had climbed to No. 22 in the 200-meter butterfly, an event that rewards brute strength and stamina. Until Thursday, she had never competed in an international meet.

Like many of her athletic peers whose life has room for sports and sports alone, Liu has been largely cut off from her friends and family. She told the Chinese media she had not been home for Spring Festival in six or seven years, and she has not seen her parents since October 2007.

Her teammates describe her as a lion in the water, but they also called her introverted and prone to sadness. One teammate, Zhao Zihan, said she often broke into tears after being scolded by her coach.

"She will not complain no matter how heavy the pressure is," Zhao said. "She will just cry out silently, or unburden herself to her parents by phone."

Other teammates said she does not own a cellphone or computer and she seldom goes shopping.

Although Jiao Liuyang, 17, the second-place winner, was a known quantity whose strong showing was expected, Liu had been largely overlooked by everyone, including her coach, who advised her to just do well Thursday. She said she never expected to come home with a medal, let alone break the world record. "I didn't feel pressure before the competition, I just tried to relax," she said afterwards.

In the end, she won in 2:04.18, shaving 1.22 seconds off Schipper's record.

Those who still doubt whether Liu's victory came naturally might recall China's previous bout with doping. In the 1994 Asian Games, Chinese women brought home 12 gold medals. Then seven of those same woman tested positive for banned substances, forcing them to relinquish their prizes. Four years later, the ignominy repeated itself, with four more swimmers disqualified.

Since then the government has been unforgiving to those who juice up.

In the past year, Zhang Yadong, the Chinese swimming team's head coach, said his charges had been training harder than ever. They saw so much potential in Liu that they flew her to Australia last year to train for a few months.

He said that if the West had never heard of Liu, it was only because she had not been ready for her moment.

Zhang expressed frustration that the world was questioning Liu and tarnishing her moment and China's glory.

"Foreigners always keep a very close eye on the Chinese swimming team for doping problems," he said. "Why do they always feel it's 'abnormal' when we do well in the pool?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom