• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
vas_a_morir said:
Holy shit, Kobe is fucking smart.

Speaking more than one language is not necessarily indicative of intellectual prowess. Though it is certainly to his credit - especially if he decided to just up and learn them on his own (which I believe is the case).

The record is something like being fluent in FIFTY FREAKING SEVEN languages (some random guy in the U.N.). Now THAT is insane.

Dark FaZe said:
phelps.gif

This needs to be quoted for hilarity :lol :lol

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Yep after watching more replays, Phelps won. Cavic slid in to the wall. its kind of like in baseball when players slide into first base. Its slower than just running straight through it. Or in this case swimming through it.

besides, it shouldn't be a debate anyway. The wall does not lie. Its very, very, very accuarate.

aceface

Cloudy said:
There is no way Phelps got there first. At best it was a tie..

edit: Yep, they gotta protest it..

IMO you can see Phelps touching an instant before on the underwater shots. The overhead one looked like the Serbian guy had it but it's deceptive since where they touch is a foot or so underwater and you can't see it because of the water interference.

Ceres

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
Phelps may get Phrancium afterall.

I don't know. It's not like it's an eyesight thing. It's a touchpad totally based on when someone hits it. The Serbian guy had his arms stretched out but was slowing down when Phelps slammed his hands down. Unless there's some sensitivity issue and they're going to complain that it didn't detect his light touch at first but you'd think that'd be fully tested before ever installing one of these things.

Timbuktu said:
...wow. So that's why Adlington said this is her best event after the 200m. Was Hoff really going to swim against her in this?

she decided not to swim the 200m freestyle for some reason despite qualifying first easily in the British trials.

Whichs make me wonder how many she'll go for in 4 years.

Cloudy

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Speaking more than one language is not necessarily indicative of intellectual prowess. Though it is certainly to his credit - especially if he decided to just up and learn them on his own (which I believe is the case).

The record is something like being fluent in FIFTY FREAKING SEVEN languages (some random guy in the U.N.). Now THAT is insane.

He grew up in Italy but he learned Spanish cos his wife is Latina. He is a smart guy but not cos of languages..

liquid_gears said:
Exactly. :D

My girlfriend is asleep upstairs and will watch the recording but we've just witnessed some astonishing pieces of sporting history
live
Totally worth waking up at stupid-o-clock in the UK to watch it. :D

Edit: TEAM GB! TEAM GB! TEAM GB!

Meier

Ceres said:
If you have Time Warner, the HD Showcase On Demand channel is putting up a lot of the events. Not sure how fast they are put up but at least it's HD.
I have DirecTV. They said something about On Demand for it during a commercial but it was for channel 1085 or something and I don't get that high apparently.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Cloudy said:
He grew up in Italy but he learned Spanish cos his wife is Latina. He is a smart guy but not cos of languages..
Thats a funny way to spell GOLD DIGGER

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OURO!

oh my god, galvao bueno is almost dying here:lol

Cielo, amazing.

finnaly we won something!

we're better than Canada! woo-hoo!

Ceres

Banned
Cloudy said:

Yep. Buying his wife a large rock after admitting to cheating on her is a sign of a very smart man.

You can't clearly tell he won. That angle isn't best. Even going frame by frame it's still hard to tell.

But I don't doubt he did win, just that the gif doesn't do the best at showing it.

Lesath

Ceres said:
I don't know. It's not like it's an eyesight thing. It's a touchpad totally based on when someone hits it. The Serbian guy had his arms stretched out but was slowing down when Phelps slammed his hands down. Unless there's some sensitivity issue and they're going to complain that it didn't detect his light touch at first but you'd think that'd be fully tested before ever installing one of these things.

I would assume technology like this would already factor in error, and therefore the clock wouldn't show the hundredths of a second if it wasn't sensitive enough to detect it.

Assuming what I said is true, that is no tie.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom