• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2009 MLB Season Thread of the Inaugural CitiField September Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Damn this 4-man rotation. If Halladay was pitching on Saturday I could've flown back and watched :(

The question is if these teams pony up their top prospects or not... if not - Halladay stays.

I don't think the Phillies do. They're running away with the NL Least right now, and you figure they subscribe to the "once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen" theory. Even more so since they've already won last year. They don't need Halladay to win.

Jon

Doytch said:
Damn this 4-man rotation. If Halladay was pitching on Saturday I could've flown back and watched :(

I don't think the Phillies do. They're running away with the NL Least right now, and you figure they subscribe to the "once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen" theory. Even more so since they've already won last year. They don't need Halladay to win.

WE NEED HALLADAY TO WIN. ENJOY A J.A. HAPP FUTURE DOYTCH.

eznark

Banned
When keeping Bill Hall means sending down Mat Gamel it's time to DFA the fuckstick and just eat the God damned contract already. The money is a sunk cost, don't let the roster spot be as well.

Fangraphs has finished doing their "2009 MLB Trade Value" series. They're basically comparing how much a guy will be worth over the amount left on their contract/arbitration years to how much they will actually make over that span.

50. Prince Fielder
49. Jered Weaver
48. Cole Hamels
47. Robinson Cano
46. Elvis Andrus
45. Adrian Gonzalez
44. Max Scherzer
43. Ryan Zimmerman
42. Joba Chamberlain
41. Josh Beckett
40. Tommy Hanson
39. Jason Heyward
38. Clay Buchholz
37. Roy Halladay
36. Josh Hamilton
35. Nick Markakis
34. Jon Lester
33. Ubaldo Jimenez
32. Ian Kinsler
31. Dustin Pedroia
30. Josh Johnson
29. Clayton Kershaw
28. Chad Billingsley
27. James Shields
26. Jay Bruce
25. David Price
24. Stephen Strasburg
23. Justin Verlander
22. Curtis Granderson
21. B.J. Upton
20. Jose Reyes
19. Adam Jones
18. Colby Rasmus
17. Felix Hernandez
16. Joe Mauer
15. Troy Tulowitzki
14. Matt Kemp
13. Dan Haren
12. Grady Sizemore
11. Zack Greinke
10. Chase Utley
9. Tim Lincecum
8. Ryan Braun
7. David Wright
6. Brian McCann
5. Matt Wieters
4. Albert Pujols
3. Justin Upton
2. Hanley Ramirez
1. Evan Longoria

Reyes being at 20 has to be due to his more-than-reasonable contract, and I think Lester should probably be higher. And Tulowitski at 15? They probably overrate prospects as a whole too...Strasburg? Cue eznark asking where Gallardo is and why the fuck Wright is above Braun.

clemenx

Banned
Meh, I think Cameron just loves to have lots of comments on his articles. I do like Tulo, though, I think his rookie year was for real and his defense is GG caliber, can't be coincidence that he's back on mashing and the Rockies are up there contending again, but yeah, he was probably a bit high. Funny was the outrage at Sandoval not being on the list :lol
Oh and the Longoria contract is criminal.

clemenx said:
Meh, I think Cameron just loves to have lots of comments on his articles. I do like Tulo, though, I think his rookie year was for real and his defense is GG caliber, can't be coincidence that he's back on mashing and the Rockies are up there contending again. Funny was the outrage at Sandoval not being on the list :lol
Oh and the Longoria contract is criminal.
Yeah, I did not realize how ridiculous it was. Holy fuck. $21 mil for the next 5 years, and then $11 mil/yr for the next two.

Doytch

I couldn't wait until that series was over. I like Dave Cameron's articles but lists are boring to me and I wanted to read his regular stuff again.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Yeah McCann is signed for pretty cheap.

Brian McCann c
6 years/$26.8M (2007-12), plus 2013 club option

* 6 years/$26.8M (2007-12), plus 2013 club option
o signed extension with Atlanta 3/07, replacing 1 year/$0.44M deal for 2007
o $1M signing bonus
o 07:$0.5M, 08:$0.8M, 09:$3.5M, 10:$5.5M, 11:$6.5M, 12:$8.5M, 13:$12M club option ($0.5M buyout)
o McCann may earn additional $3M in bonuses in 2012
o 2012 becomes club option if McCann fails to win specified awards 2007-2011
* 1 year/$0.3335M (2006), re-signed 3/06
* 1 year (2005), contract purchased 6/05
* drafted 2002 (2-64)
* $0.75M signing bonus
* agent: BB Abbott
* ML service: 3.117

Also nice to see Hanson and Heyward on there. Tells you how highly people think of them I guess.

Fangraphs said:
A lot of the “why isn’t this guy on the list?” questions came from fans of National League teams with good-but-not-great young pitchers. Yovanni Gallardo, Adam Wainwright, Matt Cain, and Jordan Zimmermann are all valuable assets, but trying to make an argument for them based on their non-league adjusted numbers simply doesn’t work. Put simply, the National League is vastly inferior to the AL right now, and the lack of a DH allows for pitchers who pitch in the senior circuit to post superficially better numbers than their AL peers. Simply put, you stick a guy like Chamberlain in the NL, and he’d look like Cy Young. Sorry, NL fans, but your pitchers aren’t as good as you think.
shots fired

jman2050 said:
This is complete lunacy. Harang wishes he ate cheeseburgers at Joba's level.

If Joba was in the NL, he'd eat more hamburgers.

Who was it that had the stupid looking ill-fitted Wrestler suit in the offseason? Was it Tex? Anybody got that picture?

Joba isn't fat; he is heavy with hatred for opposing batters.

Also, Wang is hurt again - rotator cuff injury. :(

Hughes will be necessary, but we weaken the 8th inning by moving him. Can Aceves be the 8th inning guy? What can the Yankees add to the rotation that won't block Hughes (at least for next year) and will be sufficient help in the rotation to add to Sabathia/Burnett/Chamberlain/Pettitte?

eznark

Banned
vas, I didn't catch the guys number, who was it that did the slip 'n slide during the rain delay Saturday?

By the way, it's a damn shame more people don't go to ballgames. Fans were probably split 50/50 between Brewers and Reds fans for every game but Saturday (bobblehead day).

captmcblack said:
Joba isn't fat; he is heavy with hatred for opposing batters.

Also, Wang is hurt again - rotator cuff injury. :(

Hughes will be necessary, but we weaken the 8th inning by moving him. Can Aceves be the 8th inning guy? What can the Yankees add to the rotation that won't block Hughes (at least for next year) and will be sufficient help in the rotation to add to Sabathia/Burnett/Chamberlain/Pettitte?

WHAAAAAAAAAA????

firex

eznark said:
vas, I didn't catch the guys number, who was it that did the slip 'n slide during the rain delay Saturday?

By the way, it's a damn shame more people don't go to ballgames. Fans were probably split 50/50 between Brewers and Reds fans for every game but Saturday (bobblehead day).
it was Micah Owings.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
if wang has a rotator cuff injury, he's probably done as far as a yankee career, no? if it's serious? he could be out like a year.

KHarvey16

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

UPDATE, 4:48 p.m.: Wang felt pain. Shut down until Friday. Girardi mentioned rotator cuff issues. At this point, Girardi admitted, anything they get from him is a bonus.

Girardi said that Aceves would be easier to return to the rotation than Hughes as he is more stretched out. Girardi said he is concerned about their rotation depth.

Also an interview clip further down on the page.

Y2Kev

SI_JonHeyman #mets rejected request of package of f-mart, niese, parnell and ruben tejada for halladay. #jays

i think i would have done this. niese for halladay obviously, f-mart okay you have to give up something good to get halladay, parnell come the fuck on, and ruben tejeda sounds like tejada and is therefore probably bad.

DevelopmentArrested said:
minaya may be the dumbest fuck in baseball if he actually rejected that trade. lol mets.
I can slightly understand rejecting it. Ok so you have Santana and Halladay, race to see who can have the most 8 IP 2 ER allowed and still lose? Mets need offense.

Also I need more sources before I believe the request even took place. Jays would be stupid to take that, and Halladay wants to play for a contender.
CajoleJuice said:
Francoeur with another RBI. I'm ready to renounce stats. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE
HEY! Nothing you can SAY!!!

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Yeah I doubt Halladay would want to go to the Mets, I mean the whole reason he is being traded is to finally play for a playoff team.

Y2Kev

cajole is gonna be on bbtn within 10 years shouting down sabermetricians. he may also have a gheri curl

clemenx said:
Is that shit true? If true i'm gonna go curl in fetal position into a corner and cry the whole summer.
Obviously not. Halladay wanting to be a Met? Blue Jays wanting a dude out 8-10 weeks and a mindfucked pitcher? Minaya rejecting it?

Well the last part could happen.
clemenx said:
Shit i'm too old, I can always go to Dominican Republic and lie about my age though.
You are now 25 years old. You will learn SS/2B. How does a 3 year, 24 million sound?

God, why do catchers never block the plate? Do they teach anything in the minors?

CajoleJuice said:
Nattionals cementing their place in the league.
Nationals make the Mets look like Murderers' Row. Then again you know they waived the white flag once Zimmerman got a day off. AT least the have a decent OF now with Nyjer Morgan in CF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom