• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Thread of WiFi voice chat & childish name-calling

Suburban Cowboy said:
need to vent after 4 consecutive failures, dont know which mission it is exactly but im sure some of you will recognize what im talking about.

The is the worst fucking mission structure possible in a strategy game. WTF is this shit?

It's one thing to make me keep my own units alive, or for me to protect a stationary building, but to make me fucking protect a retarded ass npc unit i have no control over who willingly moves into the line of fire of enemies when it doesnt have to. What is this shit?

This is the mission where Brenner is in a tank and distracts the enemy while you lead the blue units to their building. Well the recon units first move is to drive into the line of fire of a rocket. Its second move is to drive into firing range of an artillery. Great, so i guess i just need to focus on the infantry unit. You know, the one that runs into tanks and enemy recon units. When it isnt doing this, its cock blocking me trying to move my guys to specific spots.

This is starting to feel like a mission with only a single solution, and I hate bullshit like that.

Hated that mission as well. Felt way too gimmicky. Unless you know ahead of time that the NPC would pull stupid crap like that, it's very easy to lose. Trying to be stubborn by staying around to "help" Brenner isn't a great idea either, as I found out. =[

I just cleared mission 22 and so far so good. Last few missions have been more challenging (30+ days for past few missions) so that's a welcome change. Can't wait for that final mission so many people have been hyping about.

mattso

all you need to do for that is go left

the recon and mech if I remember right will follow suit.. ditch the recon and just protect the mech. block off any way that the enemy has to get to the mech in the late turns.

Little Green Yoda said:
Hated that mission as well. Felt way too gimmicky. Unless you know ahead of time that the NPC would pull stupid crap like that, it's very easy to lose. Trying to be stubborn by staying around to "help" Brenner isn't a great idea either, as I found out. =[

I just cleared mission 22 and so far so good. Last few missions have been more challenging (30+ days for past few missions) so that's a welcome change. Can't wait for that final mission so many people have been hyping about.

Did the same exact thing.

First time, I kept most of my units near the tank to make time. Sent a couple back to destroy the rocket and the meteor. I was doing well, but then the infantry i dont control decided to move one space at a time.

Second time I rushed to the side and made my unit reach the circle. Woops, I needed the blue one there, which got killed as it continuously moved into lines of fire.

Third time I moved everyone left, and I was doing fine, but once again the infantry was moving one at a time. So to stall for it, I just sat around and let the enemy knock off my units. I lost when all my units died as the blue one casually did nothing.

Fourth time I lost due to bad luck.

Fifth time I got it.

Barrett2

I just picked this game up yesterday and am loving it. If anyone wants to play online, PM me your info so we can swap friend codes, etc.

I don't cheat in any online DS games and expect the same. Thanks.

Heh. Final mission wasn't as bad as I expected. Definitely a cheap mofo, but I surprisingly beat it on the second try.

Now to give those Trial Missions a shot!

Dirtbag

FUCK AN "ICY RETREAT"

Bullshit! I'm calling bullshit!

I finally get in position to win the battle, after attempt number like 25 and the stupid blue CO gets killed for playing possum instead of climbing over the damn mountaints like ANY intelligent C.O. would! I was one round from capturing the damn capital. So angry right now. Horrible level design.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Man, I just got this game yesterday. It seriously rocks.

I remember playing AW1 on my friend's GBA, he loved it so much and I hated it because I couldn't beat that stupid freezy dude on the first mission.

The reason why I decided to get it was because I was having so much fun playing Military Madness/Nectaris on the Virtual Console. Man, I've been missing out on this series.

Ugh, I really hate not being able to choose between COs on the Trial Mission maps. It really cuts down on the replay value - once I S-Rank a particular map, I have next to zero motivation to replay it. Whereas in the War Room, I would usually try out different COs in multiple playthroughs of each map.

And Metro Map has to be the most annoying map in the entire game. =[

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Little Green Yoda said:
Ugh, I really hate not being able to choose between COs on the Trial Mission maps.
Yeah, I know. I mean, how hard would it be to implement selectable COs, anyway? That's what I liked about the War Room so much. I could replay the same stage so many times using different strategies due to the specific nuances of each CO.

I keep thinking, "If only I could use so-and-so CO in this stage, I would demolish it sooo bad"

And is anyone up for online play? My current friends list is dead.

NolbertoS

I've been stuck the last 2 weeks on Mission 20, fuck those helicopter units that keep gunning down everything in sight. I may just put the game on long-term hiatus, whenever I get the itch to finish it.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Just played my first online match today.

After the Campaign missions kicking my ass, I was afraid that I just plain sucked at this game. But then I started doing well and totally surprising this dude, he was sending units out and just stopping as if he was going, "WTF how did he get out here so fast." Then he fought back and started a sweep from the northeast, and I almost thought I was doomed.

Then I built a sub, two landers with a War Tank, AA, Bike, and Mech, and a Battleship, and ever so secretly sneaked up to his HQ. He ran into the sub with a Cruiser, but didn't seem to see the other three ships, so he just attacked it. Then I started to begin the ONSLAUGHT. As my Landers pulled onto his Port and deposited a War Tank onto his Factory, while a Fighter which I was saving squatted on his Airport.

Motionless. He made a few meaningless moves, and the time ran out as he must have stared at the trap he had fallen into. trying desperately to use all remaining time to find a solution.

He fought a little with his Cruiser, a Bomber, and an AA Gun, but I had units on other parts of the map standing at the ready. With a Bike deposited right next to his HQ and no possible way to build any units in time, he was done for.

After a long pause, the window, "A player has disconnected" popped up on the screen. At first I was pissed off after my hard-earned victory, but then I saw that the game rewarded me with a win anyway, and I was most pleased at having "put the whup on you, brother-man."

I never even had to use my CO.

I honestly feel kinda bad for the guy; he made a great comeback and had captured about 3/5 of the map, including part that I had owned, he was using his CO effectively with a Rocket and almost had activated his CO power, but then all of a sudden he found himself outflanked by a totally unexpected naval attack (I had only used a single Gunboat previously, so he just focused on anti-tank and anti-air). Watching his CO Rocket and all of his tanks and ground units turning back around towards the HQ, piling up on the beach waiting for a Lander which wasn't going to get there, I can understand his frustration.

...BETTER GET OUT THE PLATES, CUZ YOU JUST GOT SERVED.

Llyranor

Quick question:

Can I play online with someone whose friendcode I have against AI? Are the NA and PAL versions compatible? Thanks.

Banned
Just got this, good times. Advance Wars is one of those things that every time I start a mission, I get a sense of dread in my stomach, then as I go through it, the feeling of triumph reigns supreme. Lots of fun.

Ok, during my breaks from PES and Smash for the Wii, I've been playing this game. However, I'm stuck on mission 14. I've lost so many times it's not even funny and am about to throw the game out of the window.

Does anyone have any strategies for that mission? I can get up just past the laser beam but for the life of me, I can't get any further; much less land a copper with troops to capture their HQ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mrkgoo

crispyben said:

I'm guessing online it'll be all good - but is it compatible for local wireless connections? (Dark Conflict vs Days of Ruin).

I'm only double checking because Advance wars has not had a good history with linking here in NZ - I bought a release version of Advance Wars (GBA), and a few months later they change the cart so they weren't compatible with earlier ones.

BEsides that, which is teh 'better' version? I hear a lot of the translation is different.

Shanks

So after looking through the topic and deciding to buy it even though all the omissions, I can honestly say I'm satisfied and made the right choice. I like how they wiped the slate clean and started fresh with new COs and setting. It's a welcome change and very refreshing. Is this a permanent change, will they continue with these characters now? Have they said any reason why they did it in a interview or something? It just seems like a serious change for the series.. Did the other ones bomb I guess?

Gamecocks625 said:
Ok, during my breaks from PES and Smash for the Wii, I've been playing this game. However, I'm stuck on mission 14. I've lost so many times it's not even funny and am about to throw the game out of the window.

Does anyone have any strategies for that mission? I can get up just past the laser beam but for the life of me, I can't get any further; much less land a copper with troops to capture their HQ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's been a while, but I think I remember how I got past that mission. Try keeping the lower area defended with ground units while concentrating on your navy for the rest of the map, then moving north on land once you have the seas controlled. Takes a while, but it should work.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I love this game and I welcome the changes even though I'm one of the few long time AW fans who actually liked AW:DS.
I just can't believe that the same guys who crafted one of the best videogames stories ever (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance) gave birth to this pile of crap that is Dark Conflicts story&dialogs and almost all of the characters themselves :-/

Still like the game alot.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, this game's soundtrack is frickin' awesome.
Without a doubt the best ever heard on DS, I'm not the kind of guy who listen to videogames music on his MP3 player and such but... wow!
This game's music huge selection (along with Umbrella Chronicles) totally blew me away and thanks to the music player in the game and the neat feature which lets you play the tracks over the headphones even with the DS closed, I'm really digging to jog while listening to it.
Would have been even better if you could actually skip the track with L/R buttons without having to open the DS.

TwiztidElf

OMG. Creeper/Green Thumb is real!

myinterestingfiles135145.jpg

Google: 'Indonesia Tree Man' for more info.

Dash Kappei said:
Wow, this game's soundtrack is frickin' awesome.
Without a doubt the best ever heard on DS.

Right on about the music. The soundtrack is a great achievement for these little speakers.

Does anyone still play this? I'm still working through the campaign and the trial maps. As someone new to the series, I feel like I'm just starting to get a hang of the strategies needed to win on a semi-consistent basis.

Also, I love being able to download new maps. While I haven't created any myself, it's still a great way to keep the game fresh. Talk about infinite replay value!

Blizzard

Banned
I only like a few of the songs, but the sound quality may be good.

What I REALLY want to know but can't find in FAQs or anywhere is:

For online, is there ANY way to swap what colors you play as? It seems really dumb to have to remake a group so you and your friend can change who goes first. It's even worse if you're trying to do 2v1, with the CPU playing an advantaged map position, since you have to find a map that has the EXACT layout you need (with yellow being the overpowered one)...

fresquito

I've been playing this for the last couple of days and enjoying it. I like the new art direction and story mood ebtter than the old. So far I don't see many differences with AW GBA (the other AW title I've played), except for the lack of special skills for the CO, the kill count and the much improved AI.

I've only tried the campaogn so far, and I find highly interesting that you can unlock bonus scenarios by completing some missions.

Awesome, awesome game.

I started playing again and while I am stuck in the campaign where there is a massive gun in the center of the map that wipes away all of my forces, I'm still enjoying it. I actually like downloading smaller maps and spending some time brushing up on my strategery. I would ask to play some of you guys online, but matches last too long for it to be worth it.

I hate to bump this thread again, but do you any of you guys have a some quality maps that you've created and would be willing to share? I'd love to try them out seeing how I'm stuck on the campaign mode.

diss

Banned
Sorry to dig this up but this was my biggest disappointment of 2008 :(

I've put Advance Wars 2 back in and that game is still the shit. So good. The unit balance and the CO powers might have been the most balanced they've ever been in Days of Ruin, and it has multiplayer, and maybe that's all that matters to most people. I get it. But the singleplayer characters and two uncomfortable levels of zoom (one too high, one too low) really annoyed the hell out of me :/ Maybe I'm "doing it wrong" by placing so much emphasis on the singleplayer of this game but there were moments when I wanted to throw the cartridge on the floor, stamp on it and pee on the pieces. A lot of that is because the evil characters were just so vile, and I would have never thought they could make a lead character more annoying than Jake, which they did. Well fucking done Intelligent Systems, that is quite an achievement. Also I hate the music. Fuck this game.

/rant

Llyranor

Sorry for the bump, but I have questions for the multiplayer as my buddy is setting up his DS router.

Can you play 2p co-op against AI? How many maps are available for online friends-code mp? Can you also use custom maps?

Thanks!

Insaniac

Llyranor said:
Sorry for the bump, but I have questions for the multiplayer as my buddy is setting up his DS router.

Can you play 2p co-op against AI? How many maps are available for online friends-code mp? Can you also use custom maps?

Thanks!

I'm sure you've had thsi answered by now, but yes you can play 2v2ai and you can use any map that allows 4 players, and you can use both players customs maps.

Anyways, resurrecting an old thread, my recent DSi purchase and my lust for strategy games, has revived my interest in DoR. I've been playing 1 game a day with my friend via wifi and we're having a blast. I was wondering if anyone had big 2v2 maps to share with me via wifi that I could play on. I have maps to share too if anyone wants :)

Onemic

I just got my DS lite yesterday and have been wondering what GAF's opinion is of this game. Is it better than Dual Strike?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
onemic said:
I just got my DS lite yesterday and have been wondering what GAF's opinion is of this game. Is it better than Dual Strike?
IMO no it's not. The fact that the story is absolutely shitty and they removed all the fun from it (only from the story, mind you) and it has no War Room. yes you read it right, Advance Wars without f'ing war room.

But if you can live without a War Room (I know I can't), and maybe the map creator and online may compensate you for that missing stuff.

In the end, you decide what you prefer.

For me DS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DoR.

Blizzard

Banned
manueldelalas said:
IMO no it's not. The fact that the story is absolutely shitty and they removed all the fun from it (only from the story, mind you) and it has no War Room. yes you read it right, Advance Wars without f'ing war room.

But if you can live without a War Room (I know I can't), and maybe the map creator and online may compensate you for that missing stuff.

In the end, you decide what you prefer.

For me DS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DoR.
Days of Ruin probably has more replay value, but I still haven't finished S-ranking all of the challenge maps in Days of Ruin (the equivalent of War Room), not to mention all the (hundreds?) of vs maps you can play against the CPU, just without a rating, only a completion marker.

Boney

Banned
We had this thread at the beggining of the year commenting on both.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392770

To me, DoR is the second best AW, just after 2.

Dual Strike just feels so bloated with dual CO's and mini skills to choose. It has a inmense amount of content and it's definately very charming.

DoR cuts the crap to a minimum. The new setting was really nice, although I prefer Wars World, it definately began to drag with 3, so it was a great decision to change it.

It simplifies mechanics with just one CO and not being absolutely dependant of your CO power, and the leveling system per unit was another great adition. The new units are also pretty cool.

And although it doesn't have War Room especifically, you have apart from campaign, you have some other side maps, which is like War Room light, there must be something like 40 of these, instead of the hundreds(?) of DS's. There's also maps from older Advance Wars (Famicon?) So you end up having quite a lot of maps.

Online and DLC, DoR stands proudly as the superior one, but both are really good, you really can't go wrong.

Top Bottom