• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Thread of WiFi voice chat & childish name-calling

Insaniac

awdor_banner.png

banner courtesy of Nsider

My first "official" thread so yeah let me know what you think

NeoGAF Friend Codes of Believe:

Deathmonkey: 141-858-220-555
doomed1: 201-988-008-702
Dr.Science: 472-570-611-520
Filter: 017-304-191-024
Gamecocks625: 236-347-470-741
Hootie: 335-131-837-088
Insaniac: 515-520-281-934
Jazzem: 360-901-833-689
Justchris: 240-642-365-426
Mejilan: 094-613-486-442
MrCompletely: 227-757-481-683
ninj4junpei: 030-189-091-745
Proven: 064-548-502-713
sakurina: 107-498-664-292
sexconker: 352-312-333-954
Sorryaboutdresden: 232-052-443-428
super funk: 292-181-752-605
tim1138: 292-181-989-440
traveler: 043-074-061-621
Valtox: 107-499-067-141
Vyse the Legend: 008-714-170-429

Official Website: www.advancewars.com

GameplayTrailer (Youtube)

New Gameplay/Story Trailer (Note: looks like the same as the first link, but its different.)

General Info:

Published By: Nintendo
Developed By: Intelligent Systems
For: Nintendo DS
Release Dates-
---North America: January 21st 2008
---Europe: January 25th 2008
---Australia: January 25th 2008
---Japan: TBA 2008
Genre: Turn-Based Strategy
MSRP: $34.99
Wi-fi Compatiblility: Yes
Players: 1-4 Wi-Fi and Local. Full voice chat
Rating:
3dbd0555-55f6-4103-97a4-c5aabca925f.jpg

Boxart:
Advance_Wars_4_Cover.jpg

AWdor.jpg

So what's going on with the new Advance Wars?

Advance Wars Days of Ruin is the 4th installment of the Advance Wars series. Fans of the series will see a new style introduced into the game . Out is the old 'cartoonish happy-go-lucky' style of the previous games and in is a new gritty and dark approach to redefine the series and give it a more "war" type feel. Past COs are now gone and a new team of COs will be introduced.

The Story So Far...

The Days of Ruin story unfolds through the eyes of a weaner new recruit named Will who was stuffing his face in the lunch room when a meteor attack devastated the planet. With enough food to last for months, he was able to survive and dig his way out of the rubble -- only to be attacked by ruthless scavengers. The game begins when he is rescued by a hardened war hero named Captain Brenner that is scouring the land looking for survivors.

Why should you be excited about this game?

Well, it's Advance Wars. Intelligent Systems first Advance Wars brought to the GBA a perfect formula of Turn-Based Strategy and pure fun. Little has changed through the other Advance Wars game, keeping the game play solid. New units, new maps, campaign, and map editors help keep the game entertaining for a long time and now wi-fi & voice chat will add even more replay value. In addition, there are plans for an online map-sharing database which will allow players around the world to try each other's maps.

What's New in Advance Wars: Days of Ruin?

Well, first and foremost, out are the old COs. In are the new. A totally new cast of characters will be introduced. The standard turn-based strategy remains and is solid as ever, but CO powers and such have been revamped.

COs still have a "innate" ability that boosts their units, however, COs must be riding with a unit in the field to give units this boost. In addition, this boost has a certain AOE radius. As the unit the CO is riding with kills enemies, your COs special bar increases. This will increase the radius of your COs innate ability. This creates a strategic choice during battles: do you unleash your Special CO ability or keep the increased radius bonus?

Units also have the ability to "level up" as they kill enemies, they advance from no rank to 1st rank, 2nd rank and Ace rank. Units carrying a CO are automatically promoted to Ace rank. This puts a stronger focus on combining units and keeping them alive, whereas before there wasn't as much a bonus to combining units.

Also in, is Wi-Fi play. You can now battle up to 4 people on Wi-Fi. You can also battle friends. The map-maker returns, but now there is a Map Center where you can upload maps and download user-created maps.

Also, as expected, there are new units of war:

The Bike: A motorcycle mounted infantry unit provides mobile infantry for capturing cities and reconnaissance

The Anti-Tank: A new indirect unit that has the ability to fire after moving, and counter-attack. As it's name suggests, it is probably very effective against tanks of all sorts.
advance-wars-days-of-ruin-20080108032336688.jpg

The Flare: New tank that can light up 13-square areas affected by fog of war. Equipped with machine guns.

The Mobile Factory: Possibly also the APC, provides the ability to build temporary properties such as airports, and factories to produce units.

Duster: New air unit, possess the ability to fire upon both ground and air units, providing greater flexibility.
advance-wars-days-of-ruin-20080102050452402.jpg

Gunboat: A transport naval unit with the ability to fire once upon an enemy naval ship
advance-wars-days-of-ruin-20080108032337548.jpg

Sea Plane: Produced from Carriers, not much is known, only that they make carriers more useful now.

COs.jpg

Media hands on etc.

Links at the bottom!

Screenshots of Awesomeness

AWSplash.jpg

Devastation.jpg
Gameplay1.jpg

Gameplay2.jpg
Lin.jpg

Dead.jpg
Fight.jpg

Screens of COs:

Main Character Will, and CO Lin:
CO4.jpg
CO2.jpg

Names unknown:
CO3.jpg
CO1.jpg

Links:

IGN DS various hands on and previews

1UP Exclusive AW: DoR Multiplayer hands on and Interview

1UP Screenshots

Kotaku individual CO Artwork Gallery

IGN DS Screens and videos

Gametrailers various vids

IGN vids on new units: The Bike and The Duster

See you on the battlefield!

Great call to make the game's art like this- it's going to be my first Advance Wars just because the old hyper kiddy art turned me off.

This will be my first Advance Wars game, as well. Great OP!

Looking forward to seeing what the all fuss has been about for this series. Quick question though. I know there is a campaign/story mode, but is there a mode where you can simply play a map without the story and just improve your rank/medals?

Awesomeness.

Good thread too.

At first I was wondering why the land looked so bad and plain but it looks like you get to battle on top of some fortress or something named Great Owl?
advance-wars-days-of-ruin-20080108032336688.jpg

Defcon

Banned
Visualante said:
Great call to make the game's art like this- it's going to be my first Advance Wars just because the old hyper kiddy art turned me off.

Too bad the dialogue is still ridiculous. But yeah, much improved art style.

Alts

The diagonally facing units on the map look strange.

Anyway, psyched. I generally dislike new units, but these seem to have nice uses (as opposed to say a new even stronger tank).

I believe there is a flare tank, which temporarily eliminates fog of war in a certain region. Might want to find something on that and add it.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Simultaneous European release? AWESOME! :)
So close to February, aka the exam month on my college? OH FUCK! :(

I agree with the handled GOTY thing. AWDS is still the best DS game to date.

Really looking forward to this game. The new characters and story are looking interesting, and plus I've needed a grat new DS game.

Defcon said:
Too bad the dialogue is still ridiculous. But yeah, much improved art style.
As long as I can skip through it I'm happy to put up with a little cheese.
Teasel said:
well apollo justice doesn't get released until february
Oh, as if.
PSP probably has it this year tbh

traveler

Not Wario
Nice thread, insaniac. Can't wait for this.

Also, somebody mentioned an adaptor in the locked thread that would allow me to go online with my DS despite not having Wifi- does this adaptor work for the Wii too or is there something else I can get (A Wifi-extension for my laptop perhaps?) that would allow me to go online with both? (Thinking ahead for Smash Bros.)

Amir0x

Banned
Teasel said:
well apollo justice doesn't get released until february

lolol *wipes tear from eye*

AnyWAY, this looks like a whole bunch of effort for what will probably end up considered a 'niche' game... online play, voice chat, distinctive and attractive visual style, tons of substantive gameplay upgrades. Gotta love IntSys. :D

gabe90

Lin is very hot.

Otherwise, this will obviously be really really awesome. I can't help but think that the graphics are actually a step backwards though. I know they are going for a different style, and I don't mind that, but it looks less detailed than I remember.

Wow, this snuck up on me. I didn't think I was spending any more money on games this month. Awesome as hell, I've been needing a new handheld game.

Insaniac

gabe90 said:
Lin is very hot.

Otherwise, this will obviously be really really awesome. I can't help but think that the graphics are actually a step backwards though. I know they are going for a different style, and I don't mind that, but it looks less detailed than I remember.

naaaah

advance-wars-dual-strike-3.jpg

Amir0x said:
lolol *wipes tear from eye*

AnyWAY, this looks like a whole bunch of effort for what will probably end up considered a 'niche' game... online play, voice chat, distinctive and attractive visual style, tons of substantive gameplay upgrades. Gotta love IntSys. :D

Professor Layton doesn't come out till Feb

And of course, DQIV.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
This sounds like exactly what the series needed. The new units address so many of the gameplay issues.

Amir0x

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
Professor Layton doesn't come out till Feb

And of course, DQIV.

a collection of really cheesy low-grade logic puzzles and yet another cash-in version of DQIV.

I think this game is safe.

gabe90 said:
Lin is very hot.

Sheesh, this is definitely not a step back graphically. I mean, they've got some cool new effects and it's not like a leap but it's certainly a step beyond what they had in AWDS and the GBA titles.

Koren

Insaniac said:
The Mobile Factory: Possibly also the APC
Lord, I hope not... I's a very expensive unit IIRC, and I find APC really useful for early deployment. Mobile factory wouldn't be the unit you want on scouting. APC is left ? (if anyone has the complete list of disappearing unit, I want !)

I wasn't aware of new CO system, I really like it so far. I'm really eager to try this...

Thanks for your thread !

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's a big step forward in style, but I agree that it's a step backward in in-game graphics. I'm not a fan of the isometric, diagonal look the units on the grid were given.

Amir0x

Banned
GDJustin said:
It's a big step forward in style, but I agree that it's a step backward in in-game graphics. I'm not a fan of the isometric, diagonal look the units on the grid were given.

Even if you dislike the unit diagonal positioning, the units themselves still look slightly nicer/more detailed and the actual battle scenes are waay better.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I have an Amazon gift card lying around that I think I'll put towards this, instead of Smash. I want Brawl at midnight (or at Toys R Us when some dope puts it out early).

Insaniac said:

Great screenshot there.

The way the tiles in DOR don't seem to fit together as nicely as they did in DS. There were nice touches like each piece of scenery casting a shadow onto the adjacent tile, and shadows of clouds drifting across.

I've only seen the shots from the zoomed in view though, it might look better on the zoomed out one. There's some kind of gourad shading on the tiles now, which might be put to some interesting uses.

Amir0x said:
Even if you dislike the unit diagonal positioning, the units themselves still look slightly nicer/more detailed and the actual battle scenes are waay better.

Battle scenes look great, I love the focal blur look the closest units have.

Main reason it looks less detailed is the tiles are 50% bigger in this one (more stylus friendly?)
I'm guessing zooming out makes it looks close to the previous games.

Koren

Graphics Horse said:
Battle scenes look great, I love the focal blur look the closest units have.
Focus Blur is the new name for blur due to upscale of fixed-resolution bitmaps ? :lol

I agree, that sound far better !

nli10

I'm still skeptical about this, mainly because whenever they update my favorite game series I get a little worried that it won't actually come out or that they tried too hard and ruined it.

The style looks very different, mainly because of the angles, zoom and the 'darkness' of it all.

Looking forward to it, 25th in the UK according to current press. Was 18th last time I looked... :(

Koren said:
Focus Blur is the new name for blur due to upscale of fixed-resolution bitmaps ? :lol

I agree, that sound far better !

Focal blur LOOK, I said :D

I know each size vehicle uses the same image, but they've heavilly smoothed the source bitmaps, including antialiasing the edge transparency, I think, which makes it look really nice.

(The DS cannot blur images by upscaling them)

Jaagen

Didn't get into the first DS one that much, since it was too much for me to take in on(dual co-powers, dual screen battles etc, etc) But I soemwhat feel that this may be easier on me, because it looks refreshing, The style is awesoem, and I love the possibility to share maps online, so now that both this and Brawl have that functionality, I see no reason that MK Wii can't have it as well. Brin it on, Nintendo.

Pre-ordered the hell outta this. My only concern is the stability of Nintendo's network to handle 2-hour matches. My friend and I played tons of AW:DS and those games would sometimes go on for that long. Love the new art style.

nli10

ninj4junpei said:
My reaction to the new bomber animation: :O~

Yeah - is that a new Video?

I just pre-ordered it for £25 from GamePlay.com and they usually get the game to you the day before general release :D

Top Bottom