• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Thread of WiFi voice chat & childish name-calling

nli10 said:
Yeah - is that a new Video?

I just pre-ordered it for £25 from GamePlay.com and they usually get the game to you the day before general release :D
It was mentioned in the last AW thread. Though this was the first time I saw it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I've never played a Wars title for more than 15 minutes, but I've played four Fire Emblems from start to finish. Someone explain to me how the multiplayer in Advance Wars works, as Fire Emblem multiplayer is impossible. The entire logic of combat in Fire Emblem involves staying out of range of your enemy, or luring them to specific units, due to the always-reliable nature of the AI. Against a human being, no one would ever get close enough to anyone else to attack. The rules of combat would fall apart.

I know Advance Wars has some base-capturing or something.. is that what makes the combat actually viable in multiplayer? What's the big difference between these two series that makes multiplayer possible?

GOTY 2008. I don't care what else comes out. DQIX, FFXIII, MGS4, and anything else don't come close for me. This would've been GOTY last year, which was arguably the most awesome year for games in a long ass time.

Tathanen said:
I've never played a Wars title for more than 15 minutes, but I've played four Fire Emblems from start to finish. Someone explain to me how the multiplayer in Advance Wars works, as Fire Emblem multiplayer is impossible. The entire logic of combat in Fire Emblem involves staying out of range of your enemy, or luring them to specific units, due to the always-reliable nature of the AI. Against a human being, no one would ever get close enough to anyone else to attack. The rules of combat would fall apart.

I know Advance Wars has some base-capturing or something.. is that what makes the combat actually viable in multiplayer? What's the big difference between these two series that makes multiplayer possible?

The biggest difference between FE and Advance Wars is that FE only allows a finite number of units and once they're gone they cannot be replaced in battle, whereas Advance Wars allows the constant development of several types of units.

Amir0x said:
Even if you dislike the unit diagonal positioning, the units themselves still look slightly nicer/more detailed and the actual battle scenes are waay better.

I turn all animations off. The only thing I don't care for from what I've seen is the diagonal positioning of units.

Jaagen

Tathanen said:

Well, you have recontructable units, so that makes a difference there. In FE, when your character dies, it dies(both in SP and multiplayer) In AW, you CO is more like an overwathcer away from the battlefield, so you have no "personal attachment" to the characters, as they're just spendable resources. If you thank gets destroey, build a new one, or maybe a better one. An artillery. A plane. You make them, and if they die, you can replace them. Also, there are different approaches. Land, sea and air.

EDIT: Beaten.

traveler

Not Wario
traveler said:
Nice thread, insaniac. Can't wait for this.

Also, somebody mentioned an adaptor in the locked thread that would allow me to go online with my DS despite not having Wifi- does this adaptor work for the Wii too or is there something else I can get (A Wifi-extension for my laptop perhaps?) that would allow me to go online with both? (Thinking ahead for Smash Bros.)

Is there such a thing?

Forgotten Ancient said:
GOTY 2008. I don't care what else comes out. DQIX, FFXIII, MGS4, and anything else don't come close for me. This would've been GOTY last year, which was arguably the most awesome year for games in a long ass time.

Gaming's gotten better year-after-year.

With five consoles churning out excellent games now, it's just wallet murder.

I mean, look at what we've got coming...

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Bomberman Land Touch! 2
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wii Fit
Halo Wars
Final Fantasy IV
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War III
Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots
Secret Agent Clank
Wipeout Pulse
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Fire Emblem DS
Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness
Rune Factory 2
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

etc.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Amir0x said:
Even if you dislike the unit diagonal positioning, the units themselves still look slightly nicer/more detailed and the actual battle scenes are waay better.

Yeah, but who cares about battle scenes? Ever since AW2 I've left the battle scenes on for literally one battle, just to see them, then turned them off for the subsequent 100+ hours of play...

Tiktaalik

I love the new direction that this game is going, but I'm also a bit dissappointed with the graphics. They do seem to be a bizarre step back and they look much less detailed.

I missed out on getting Advance Wars: DS day one, but I finally managed to grab a copy from craiglist and I'm playing it now during travelling times on my vacation. It's an awesome title. After playing AW: DS I'm definitely going to grab Days of Ruin as soon as I get back.

Tiktaalik

Tathanen said:

I would imagine the best strategy for victory in Advance Wars would be to capture more bases, outspend the enemy and overwhelm him with more or superior units. As someone said earlier, this differs from Fire Emblem where you have a small limited selection of units. In Advance Wars you can send cheap units to their doom endlessly if you want.

GDJustin said:
Yeah, but who cares about battle scenes? Ever since AW2 I've left the battle scenes on for literally one battle, just to see them, then turned them off for the subsequent 100+ hours of play...

They're useful for fighting Sonia :D
I think I keep them on for the player attacks, but skip them each time anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
GDJustin said:

I'm a graphic whore kinda guy, I appreciate it because it makes it feel more war-like. I like the visceral response to sinking someone's ship :D

Amir0x said:
I'm a graphic whore kinda guy, I appreciate it because it makes it feel more war-like. I like the visceral response to sinking someone's ship :D

Yeah, those naval ship animations do look nice.

CTLance

Why am I so goddamn useless in anything that requires tactics and unit management? I'll never be an overlord at this rate...

AW: DoR looks nice. I like that apocalyptic setting. Graphics look functional. The COs look way better. Hopefully they're not as annoying anymore... that tank guy with the headphones in AWDS made me want to beat myself unconscious.

Ah well. Thanks for reminding me to give AWDS another go. I stopped when you first encounter that cannon-on-a-pipe-thing. Got creamed twice, then somehow lost interest and forgot about the game.

Koren

Graphics Horse said:
They're useful for fighting Sonia :D
Yes, and I feel that battle against her was quite painful for this exact reason...

I love how you can use sound to learn more about ennemy army details, position and movement (and bluff), by the way, I hope it's still there...

Guled

What happens when the unit your CO is in dies? Also, how is online gonna work. Won't matches take hours?

sw26

I'm still undecided about this one.

I mean I love the series (although I've only played the original version and the DS version) but having put 50+ hours into the DS version about a year ago, I might be a bit worn out on the series.

Good reviews and impressions here will probably change my mind though.

:D

nli10

Amir0x said:

I do mostly skip them even though I have them on but I tend to watch 10 -> 0 attacks with a large grin on my face. Also when the cpu piles units into my mega tank making my star counter soar.

The reverse of the guy above I found Fire Emblem largely unplayable to be honest. ITs a fantastic game and if it's your bag then go for it, but some part of my brain just won't let characters die, even the minor ones so when I got to a level that I couldn't beat without letting one of them die I gave up and traded it in. :lol Mental yes, but I was much happier when I gave up and went back to games without remorse. :D

In AW you can either hang back & have superior field position for defense and then let you opponent steal all the other buildings, or rush forward and be picked off by the defensive strategy. There are so many different strategies and with human opponents bluffing and misdirection becomes key too.

With created maps it means that no one will have a knowledge advantage of the terrain, unless they have studied all the possible combinations that are popular at the time.

I've played this a few weeks ago at Nintendo (for a mag review) and found it a very amusing game. The gameplay is the same as previous games but the story and look is much darker (hence the name). I'd give about an 8,7 :) (haven't played online though)

vareon

I really, really want to try this one, but turn-based strategy just isn't my type of game :(. Let's just say I'm new to the genre, should I buy this one?

Guled said:
What happens when the unit your CO is in dies? Also, how is online gonna work. Won't matches take hours?

They appear back at your base I think.

Hopefully there will be a play by mail option for online, have any details been released yet?

Looks like the Mobile workshop takes 2 turns to transform into an airport or base.

Insaniac

Koren said:
Lord, I hope not... I's a very expensive unit IIRC, and I find APC really useful for early deployment. Mobile factory wouldn't be the unit you want on scouting. APC is left ? (if anyone has the complete list of disappearing unit, I want !)

I wasn't aware of new CO system, I really like it so far. I'm really eager to try this...

Thanks for your thread !

The Mobile Factory costs 5000, which i believe is the same as the old APC yeah?

Fredescu

vareon said:
I really, really want to try this one, but turn-based strategy just isn't my type of game :(. Let's just say I'm new to the genre, should I buy this one?
It's not out yet, but all the AWs so far have had very good tutorials, so I don't see why this one wouldn't. They are complex games, but it does a pretty good job of slowly introducing all the elements to you without ever really throwing you in the deep end. AW: DS was fantastic though, so if you're not sure if you will like the genre, you could probably pick that one up for a bit cheaper. If you don't like that, I doubt you'll like the new one.

traveler

Not Wario
Fredescu said:
You mean this? http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b8-49-en-70-13d7.html

I don't have one, but I believe they work with the Wii. I think they discontinued it, but they are still available around the place. Apparently they're a pain to set up, and only work with XP. Play Asia lists a few third party ones too, but none of them mention Wii support.

Yeah, that. I was just wondering if it worked with the Wii as well. I'll check it out, since I need one for my DS anyways.

Insaniac said:
The Mobile Factory costs 5000, which i believe is the same as the old APC yeah?

Yep, I don't know if it has any limitations, but it should shake things up in a major way if you can just build factories anywhere. A lot of the levels in the previous game boiled down to capturing a certain factory before your opponent did, so this should put an end to that.

traveler said:
Yeah, that. I was just wondering if it worked with the Wii as well. I'll check it out, since I need one for my DS anyways.
It does work with the Wii, well the one that says 'Works with Wii' or whatever. I don't think it works on Vista though.

[Nintex]

Maarten Jalink said:
I've played this a few weeks ago at Nintendo (for a mag review) and found it a very amusing game. The gameplay is the same as previous games but the story and look is much darker (hence the name). I'd give about an 8,7 :) (haven't played online though)
Why not a 8.6 or an 8.8? Also are the reviews of the mag you write for based on some short playtests at Nintendo?

NSider

Hey Insaniac, you can use this if you want (I made it):

awdor_banner.png

besiktas1

I can't wait, hopefully we get some good games going in gaf...

This is going to be the first game I "get into" this year, Look foward to typing in your friend codes
:( seriously though, I hate Nintendo wifi codes

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Nintendo Power gave the game a 8.5 :D

Can't wait to pick this up, it will be my first AW game since the first one on the GBA.

Why so low?

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Nintendo Power gave the game a 8.5 :D

Can't wait to pick this up, it will be my first AW game since the first one on the GBA.
What madness is this? >:|

Also, I read something interesting. Apparently Naval units can go under bridges now! :O

traveler

Not Wario
OliveJuice said:
It does work with the Wii, well the one that says 'Works with Wii' or whatever. I don't think it works on Vista though.

That's fine with me. I'm still running XP.

Insaniac, are you planning on starting an online thread as well or will we just do the fc exchange in here?

NSider

I know 8.5 is good, but I thought that DoR would at least match Advance Wars DS, which got a 9.0 from NP. AWDS felt a little old and tired at the time, and the lack of online really hurt it.

Now we get a fresh sequel/reboot that manages to look and feel different while keeping the basic fundamentals, gets rid of those annoying Tag Powers, and has online play with voice chat and level sharing. And it scored lower than AWDS? Something must be a little wrong here. Is the game flawed?

Insaniac

traveler said:
That's fine with me. I'm still running XP.

Insaniac, are you planning on starting an online thread as well or will we just do the fc exchange in here?

FC thread will probably end up in the multiplayer forum.

zapperx

Since I don't wanna make a thread about it and this is the most recent DS game thread i'll ask in here.

Can you buy memory cards for the DS? I just brought one online with pokemon to play but now I read me and my brother can't play the same game since it only has one save slot? So if both of us want to play i'd have to buy another game? :S

I haven't played a pokemon since red/blue so I thought maybe they might have fixed this crap by now. :(

zapperx said:
Since I don't wanna make a thread about it and this is the most recent DS game thread i'll ask in here.

Can you buy memory cards for the DS? I just brought one online with pokemon to play but now I read me and my brother can't play the same game since it only has one save slot? So if both of us want to play i'd have to buy another game? :S

I haven't played a pokemon since red/blue so I thought maybe they might have fixed this crap by now. :(

Why in the world would you ask that question in the Official Advance Wars thread?

Google would be a better option. Try it.

Insaniac said:
FC thread will probably end up in the multiplayer forum.

We could try it in this thread. In the official Picross DS thread everybody exchanged FCs, and it was a success.

justchris

Argh, having to wait another week for this is going to be fucking torturous. I want this game so bad. For me, GOTY is between AW: DoR, SSBB & Spore (unless FFXIII somehow miraculously manages to appear this year)

Graphics Horse said:
Yep, I don't know if it has any limitations, but it should shake things up in a major way if you can just build factories anywhere. A lot of the levels in the previous game boiled down to capturing a certain factory before your opponent did, so this should put an end to that.

Yeah, the Mobile Factory is also the APC, although I think I've heard they increased the armor on it slightly? I do know that you can use it to build airports, ports, or factories, but the buildings are temporary, they only last a few turns. I think it makes the APCs much, much more useful. I rarely used them in previous games.

Guled said:

If your CO's unit dies, they appear at your HQ and have to be assigned to a new unit.

As for online, I assume it'll work just like multiplayer AW always worked, except with added Friend Codes. Just make sure you have plenty of time before you start playing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Between this, No More Heroes, and Brawl I'm going to be completely using up my gaming budget for the next few months. This shouldn't be happening in January. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't be complaining about great games that come after the holiday season.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Do we already know if wifi play (with voice chat) works among different territories?

I mean, it wouldn't really be a World War if that wasn't the case, would it?

Top Bottom