• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Thread of WiFi voice chat & childish name-calling

Insaniac

Dash Kappei said:
Do we already know if wifi play (with voice chat) works among different territories?

I mean, it wouldn't really be a World War if that wasn't the case, would it?

we don't know, but I would assume it does, other voice chat games I've played worked.

Proven

Fredescu said:
You mean this? http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b8-49-en-70-13d7.html

I don't have one, but I believe they work with the Wii. I think they discontinued it, but they are still available around the place. Apparently they're a pain to set up, and only work with XP. Play Asia lists a few third party ones too, but none of them mention Wii support.

Ugh, where have you people been? This has been out since Mario Kart DS.

1. There is no "Works with Wii" version. They all should work with both the DS and Wii.

2. Yes, it works with XP only. It came out before Vista was released and by the way Vista is being received most people still have XP anyway.

3. It is sold at some Gamestop stores and Nintendo World. You can also get it from Nintendo's online store. If any other place has it they either specifically ordered it from Nintendo or bought their own and are selling it for a slightly higher price. Either way, the point is that it wouldn't be a fake.

Gamecocks625 said:
This will be my first Advance Wars game, as well. Great OP!

Looking forward to seeing what the all fuss has been about for this series. Quick question though. I know there is a campaign/story mode, but is there a mode where you can simply play a map without the story and just improve your rank/medals?

Black Hole Rising had the War Room (which is a collection of maps played for rank) but I skipped Dual Strike so I don't know if that or Days of Ruin have it.

I'm also curious about what the Nintendo Power review didn't like about this game.

Meloche

I'm still torn on this one, mostly because I've spent so much time with the series already and it has become progressively worse with each new iteration. Well actually that's not fair; Advance Wars 2 may have added a few things I didn't like (CO Super Powers, Neotanks), but the expanded campaign and added options put it at least on par with the original. Dual Strike, on the other hand, was just completely over the top and while fun, really pushed the limits on what I want to put up with just to play an Advance Wars game.

I'm really glad to hear they've scaled back on the CO Powers, because that was my number one issue with AWDS -- they were just wayyy too game-changing. A lot of the campaign suffered from Mario Kart syndrome, i.e. you are constantly punished whenever you get ahead of the AI. There would be times when I would end up not attacking the opponent just because I knew it would fill up his stupid power meter and then my enormous squadron of awesome units I tirelessly built up would be decimated in some way or another for no reason at all. Playing against any combination of Drake, Olaf, and Hawke was just painful, especially with Drake's fuel killer. Not fun.

I also thought that the CO skills and leveling up was a poor design choice, because it took strategy away from building and positioning units and put it into picking which skills to equip or forced you to use Jake/Sasha/Rachel just because having had them since the beginning, they were automatically the best leveled for the majority of the campaign and thus had access to the best abilities. Please IS, keep all the Fire Emblem stuff away from Advance Wars.

I don't bring any of this up to rag on Days of Ruin or to cause conflict in the official thread here, but I'm just curious because I see near-unanimous hype for this game here -- have most people not played all three games (and therefore more likely to be burnt out on the series), or did most people not have the issues with AWDS that I did? I mean no question this game looks to be an improvement, but that CO ability and units being able to 'level up' doesn't sound particularly promising to me, either.

Little Green Yoda said:
Black Hole Rising had the War Room (which is a collection of maps played for rank) but I skipped Dual Strike so I don't know if that or Days of Ruin have it.

I'm also curious about what the Nintendo Power review didn't like about this game.
Every Advance Wars game has had the War Room (all AW1 WR maps were in AW2, all AW1+2 WR maps were in AWDS, each new game has just added a few new ones to the list) so I don't see why DoR wouldn't have it as well.

nli10

I've owned and finished all 3 Advance Wars games and I consider AW:DS to be the pinnacle of the series. Not liking NeoTanks is Blasphemy... :lol

I can see why someone would prefer each individual game though as they all have slight different emphasis on the strategy.

I agree that the CO & tag attacks overbalance the game and force you to leave crippled units instead of destroying them to minimize the star gain (and then nuke them all when the opponents star power is active) but I just treat that as another part of the games strategy.

Nice op. Have my pre-order down, was conflicted between getting the PAL and US version. But since it's around half the price I'll have to wait a bit for the post to deliver the thing.

Looking forward to everyone's impressions.

Koren

nli10 said:
I've owned and finished all 3 Advance Wars games and I consider AW:DS to be the pinnacle of the series. Not liking NeoTanks is Blasphemy... :lol
I see no major problem with Neo (I can deal with them, even without Neos, indirect units are efficient, and the Anti-tank will be welcome). But there's a little thing that doesn't work : all units in AW1 are usefull. All of them, and nearly equally... The Md tank in AW has seen a decrease in efficiency, but not due to its strengh/value. Due to the fact that's a tank with 5 movement when Normal and Neo have 6. Neo is far better than Md (for its value) just for this additional case if you're looking for S-300. I nearly stopped using MD, except on special situations and as a gap-filling when money is scarse.

I welcome the changes, because I found that in the previous game, a lot of the strategy was triggering the tag when playing 2-CO games. It was a bit less strategic (tag with samy as second CO was often nearly a cheap method to win, for example)

Edit : still, I loved AW: DS as the previous iterations, I'm just happy to see new things to experiment.

zoukka

Wohoo Tekken cameo confirmed!

200px-Hwoarang_(T5_DR).jpg
CO1.jpg

I played the GBA-version on a camp and had fun. This could be the game that sells DS to me finally...

The art looks pretty nice. I`m not a huge anime-fan, but those I like.

justchris

Meloche said:
I don't bring any of this up to rag on Days of Ruin or to cause conflict in the official thread here, but I'm just curious because I see near-unanimous hype for this game here -- have most people not played all three games (and therefore more likely to be burnt out on the series), or did most people not have the issues with AWDS that I did? I mean no question this game looks to be an improvement, but that CO ability and units being able to 'level up' doesn't sound particularly promising to me, either.

I've played and beaten all 3 Advance Wars games, and I absolutely adore the series, so I'd probably be picking this one up regardless.

That being said, I totally understand where you're coming from. The main reason I'm so enthusiastic about DoR is that they've changed it so much. Dual CO powers were game breaking in the previous game. And like you said, MdTanks became near useless, and there were a lot of other balance issues. It seems like they've gone in and rebalanced everything to make the game even more strategic.

And I agree about the leveling CO's thing, it was annoying being stuck with certain CO's during the campaign, because you needed access to certain skills just to avoid being wiped out within the 2nd turn (although only one map really had this problem).

I think the leveling units will be less of an issue, as long as they keep it somewhat balanced, for several reasons. First off, because the units aren't persistent from map to map (like CO's were), you're never going to be stuck on a map that requires a specific, leveled unit. Secondly, units have to survive to level, which gives you incentive to protect and combine units, rather than just doing an infantry/tank rush. Although I do worry that it's going to overpower indirect units, since they'll tend to be higher level than ground units (because of the staying back from the front line & not dying).

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I think I need to get this game just because that Lin is so hot. :(

Nah, I bet it'll be fun, got a few friends who were really into Dual Strike back in the days.

Slavik81

Noooo! I don't want to have to buy another game...
Why do they keep making awesome DS games? I keep looking at them and saying 'Wow. That looks fantastic.'

Then I never buy it because DS games never drop in price.

zoukka said:
Now I have to buy two copies just for this... (I play Hwoarang)

Osaka said:
I think I need to get this game just because that Lin is so hot. :(
Three...

Pezking

Regarding local multiplayer-matches: Does every player need a copy of the game (like in Dual Strike)?

"Mario Party DS" did such a great job in that matter. Full multiplayer-playability with extremely short loading times with just one copy of game.

RedShift

AW:DS was the only one i managed to complete on hard mode. The ability to use any CO made it a lot easier. I managed to reach the penultimate mission in AW2's hard mode, Hot Pursuit, but gave up.

Koren

hylian_pirate said:
AWDS was the easiest game in the series, IMO. It wasn't very challenging like AW2.
Indeed... IA is far better than in previous games, but the game was awfully easy, except some War room missions in 1 CO-no bonus mode if you're going for S-300 (I remember small map against Jess being tricky for example for Technique score). Advance campaign is a joke. We really need real difficulty levels this time.

In fact, it was said here that maps war kept in war room between iterations in the series, but if you look carefully at them, they've been simplified (see Italian map, for example, you've an additional facility... or the small map with double rings of enemies, there's also more factories IIRC).

Official Nintendo World Store Launch details, from Go Nintendo:

WHAT: Nintendo celebrates the release of the groundbreaking Advance Wars®: Days of Ruin with a launch party at the Nintendo World store in Rockefeller Plaza. Passionate gamers with an appetite for virtual combat will gather for a sneak peek at the latest Advance Wars title and a chance to win awesome prizes. Consumers are sure to line up early, as Nintendo will be awarding the first 25 attendees a free copy of the game. Eager fans of all stripes will participate in Nintendo trivia challenges, create colorful Advance Wars battle maps and compete in a live multiplayer tournament.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for Nintendo DS™ makes its official debut on Jan. 21, updating the acclaimed combat series with a host of new characters, enhanced graphics and exciting wireless features. Players must lead their troops through a mind-bending battle to save the planet in this hotly anticipated sequel, using keen strategy and the award-winning wireless function of the top-selling Nintendo DS.

WHO: Video game enthusiasts of all ages

WHEN: Sunday, Jan. 20

Event time: 1 - 3 p.m.

WHERE: Nintendo World store

10 Rockefeller Plaza

New York, NY 10020

646-459-0800

www.nintendoworldstore.com

NEWS/VISUALS:

* Line of consumers eager to get their hands of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
* Gamers of all ages competing for prizes
* Fans cheering each other on in a live multiplayer tournament
* Characters for consumer photo opps

Proven said:
Ugh, where have you people been? This has been out since Mario Kart DS.

1. There is no "Works with Wii" version. They all should work with both the DS and Wii.
Wiicompatible.jpg

I don't think I like Nintendo's strategy of not giving info about the game 'till 2 days ahead of it's release. :(

I'm wondering with the bike available, what's the point of simply making infantry? Obviously bikers will be slightly more expensive but the only way I could see them balancing with normal infantry is by making them a little weaker to them. Oh, it probably won't be able to go on mountains either

Insaniac

Zoramon089 said:
I'm wondering with the bike available, what's the point of simply making infantry? Obviously bikers will be slightly more expensive but the only way I could see them balancing with normal infantry is by making them a little weaker to them. Oh, it probably won't be able to go on mountains either

probably can't cross rivers either, and probably has slowed movement across forests

Hootie

Whoa, I can't believe I missed this thread earlier! Definitely a Day 1 pickup for me...I am so happy they are toning down the CO shit from the previous games. AWDS was way too overboard with the powers...it didn't even feel like a war game anymore.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game!! Hopefully we can get some battles going on WiFi...though I do admit that I am pretty bad at this game. Oh well, free win for my opponent! :lol

Insaniac

Hootie said:
Whoa, I can't believe I missed this thread earlier! Definitely a Day 1 pickup for me...I am so happy they are toning down the CO shit from the previous games. AWDS was way too overboard with the powers...it didn't even feel like a war game anymore.

Can't wait for this game!! Hopefully we can get some battles going on WiFi...though I do admit that I am pretty bad at this game. Oh well, free win for my opponent! :lol

I enjoyed the CO powers and dual strikes when I played AW: DS, but now that I look back on it, it definitely is a good idea to tone them down. Why? Whenever I played AW: DS I realized my game strategy generally focused around getting my super co power, or dual strike, and then attacking my weakened enemy after that. Not that it was over-powered, cause the opponent has the same ability to dual strike, but the fact that gameplay became so focused on the co powers, it took away from the core game.

A big thing that got me even more excited is the CO zone.

Also, the fact your CO doesn't just sit around drinking coffee all day and watch little men die for 30 days in-a-row. No, they're badass enough to open a can of whoop ass themselves.

justchris

tiltnkirby said:
A big thing that got me even more excited is the CO zone.

Also, the fact your CO doesn't just sit around drinking coffee all day and watch little men die for 30 days in-a-row. No, they're badass enough to open a can of whoop ass themselves.

:lol Always more respect for a commander who commands from the battlefield.

The CO Zone will be interesting strategically, as will be targetting your opponent's CO unit. I wonder if you can transfer your CO without their unit having to be destroyed? That would be awesome.

Insaniac

justchris said:
:lol Always more respect for a commander who commands from the battlefield.

The CO Zone will be interesting strategically, as will be targetting your opponent's CO unit. I wonder if you can transfer your CO without their unit having to be destroyed? That would be awesome.

I don't see why not, it'd be pretty annoying if you couldn't

justchris

Insaniac said:
I don't see why not, it'd be pretty annoying if you couldn't

The unit with the CO will automatically be Ace level, it may not keep track of the unit's xp separately. I could see that as a reason they wouldn't allow it, but I wouldn't mind if the unit defaulted to 0 level when the CO moved, that's just more incentive to keep them in that unit, without forcing you to do it.

mjc said:
This one seems like it will have more of a story to it..which is good.

Well, I don't know about more story, but it certainly will be different. I've also read there will be optional challenge missions in the campaign. I am really, really looking forward to this game.

KINGMOKU

Guled said:
Buy a wireless router, its a couple bucks more, but a million times more useful/better
LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

DO NOT BUY THE DONGLE.

I honestly thought that the Wii's online was just slow as hell. Well, when I got my PS3, instead of having another damn lan line running into the living room, I picked up a wireless router. Now all of a sudden it doesnt take me 10minutes to connect to the Wii shop channel.

Get a wireless router. Its not that much more then the damn stupid ass piece of crapola that is the dongle.

Insaniac

Zoramon089 said:
Have they revealed all the new units, yet? I'm still waiting for a sniper infantry class...

I think all the ones I posted in the OP are all the ones they've revealed... but I think all land-based units are revealed.

justchris

Insaniac said:
I think all the ones I posted in the OP are all the ones they've revealed... but I think all land-based units are revealed.

That's all the new units, but a few things to add. There's a new unit called the 'War Tank' which takes the place of Neotanks & Megatanks. (Costs 16000)

Also, the sea plan can attack both land and ship units, and possibly air units.

There's a youtube video introducing the bike unit that shows that it can't cross rivers. Also, the full list of produceable land units shows at 1:28 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjE7muFYoxk

A review from Nintendo Power was posted over at Gamefaqs

Comandante42 said:
Review Title: Apocalypse Wow

Rating: 8.5/ 10

Summary:
*Game is comfortingly much the same as before, few surprising innovations.
*The story in DoR is much better than those in previous games. Details about plot not included in this review because they would require massive spoilers.
*Battles are more approachable than before, but gameplay is not overly simplified nor too complex.
*It feels as though the DS was made for the AW franchise.
*Frustrating touch screen control aspects of AW: DS are gone, control is much smoother.
*Wi-Fi battles are a great addition to the game.

Review written by Chris Shepperd

Nintendo Power, Volume 225, February 2008

Top Bottom