• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ICARUS FIGHTS
MEDUSA ANGELS

Awesome game, though another game I have never beaten. Sadly, this week, I own all 3 of these games on original carts and (only in RARE exceptions) I don't re-purchase games I already own, on the VC.

Really can't wait for Beyond Oasis and Wonder Boy III for Turbo.

Meier

I am so downloading Kid Icarus. One of the absolute best NES games ever and among my all-time favorite games... very excited about getting to play it again.

fresquito

Zerodoppler said:
So I guess this week is "Platformer week"? If I had more money I'd get all three, but I'll limit myself to Kid Icarus for now.
You get to see how different games from the same genre could be back then. I will be getting Kid Icarus as well when it hits the Eu VC.

gwiz210

Ahh wonderful update Nintendo. Whenever I ask my brother about VC games he'd like to see Kid Icarus is always to first one he says. In addition to that I lost my copy of Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland loooong ago so I will finally be able to play through it once more. :)

Jammy

Banned
How is Ice Climbers? When I had a gift card to Best Buy a while back I passed on the game. I think I wanted it just for its uniqueness and because I wanted to see where the whole Ice Climbers thing started from. I think Super Smash Bros. Melee players gave the NES Classic a good majority of its sales.

Jammy said:
How is Ice Climbers? When I had a gift card to Best Buy a while back I passed on the game. I think I wanted it just for its uniqueness and because I wanted to see where the whole Ice Climbers thing started from. I think Super Smash Bros. Melee players gave the NES Classic a good majority of its sales.

It probably hasn't aged very well, although for my money it is better than most of the NES games Nintendo released at the Virtual Console's inception. I would probably buy it, since it's one of the first, if not the first, NES games I ever played, but for those not clouded by nostalgia, Kid Icarus & Kirby's Adventure are better bets.

lol damn I got all excited for Excite Bike. ;(

But I'm still excited for Kirby and Kid Icarus. :)

Ice Climbers is awesome too, but it just wont feel the same not playing it 2 player like I did with my sister back in the days. 1 player Ice Climber isn't as fun.

Damn with this Nintendo NES week we shoulda got Punch Out!! That'll be a huge (Gunstar, Lttp etc sized) release. :D

And whats up with DKC, maybe we'll get a SNES week next week!

Justin85 said:
So if I haven't played any of these and want to pick one up, what's the general consensus on which one I should get?

I’d start with Kirby - it’s a classic NES-era platformer with a couple of unique twists & is just great fun to play. Kid Icarus is a great title, but perhaps a little less accessible, and Ice Climber is rewarding, but limited and fairly unforgiving. All three would make worthy additions to your VC library, though.

sammy

-- i skipped Kid Icarus, and Kirby as a chile - i might go for these this week....

oooohhhh, but still lovin Mario World and LttP -------- VC is such a dream on dolby, and 480p - i never knew i could get so absorbed in vanilla-dome :D

Kirby would be a good start for all the people wondering what they should play first, Kid Icarus is awesome but its also from an earlier era and maybe not as first up accessible as Kirby is.

Not to say Kirby is easy/boring, I just mean its probably easier to sit down and have fun straight away with Kirby as apposed to Kid Icarus requiring a bit more involvement, memorising enemy patterns and the jumps etc as being an older game its less forgiving.

So thats 3 (some will still argue) solid titles in one week, not lol shooters, not shovel crap, 500 points, two of the more 'unplayed' NES games from Nintendo and one (Kid Icarus, right?) that hasn't been available in English in one form or another (Kirby has a GBA remake) for a loooong time.

<3 Virtual Console. <3

*waits for the bitching about something*

Conrad Link said:
And whats up with DKC, maybe we'll get a SNES week next week!

Possible, but unlikely. Based on the Japanese VC release schedule, we had a glut of NES titles waiting to be released. Even after subtracting the three from today, the NES still has the second biggest backlog. A Genesis week is possible though; it's the backlog leader now with six titles. Here is a list of what has been/will be released in Japan that can be easily converted for North America (listed by platform and month released in Japan):

NES December: Legend of Kage
NES January: Zelda II
NES February: Mighty Bomb Jack, Galaga
SNES December: Donkey Kong Country
SNES February: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV
GEN December: Shadow Dancer
GEN January: Bio-Hazard Battle
GEN February: Streets of Rage, Beyond Oasis, Sword of Vermilion, Vectorman
TG16 December: New Adventure Island
TG16 February: Chew Man Fu, Shadow Land
N64 February: Ocarina of Time

That's not to say there can't be any surprises . . . I could imagine something like Excitebike or Punch-Out!! or even Beetle Adventure Racing arriving in North America first and receiving a delayed/nonexistent release in Japan.

Luigison

dysonEA said:
why did my shop channel not update with any new games today?? what the heck??
Mine won't even connect. I kept getting an error so I reset my Wii and router, tested the connection, and then it tells me it can't find the server. Arrgh.

Jiggy

Nice week. I wanted Kirby and I never played Kid Icarus, so that'll be two more for me soon enough.
Ice Climber, on the other hand... I actually picked up the GBA port for $5 and still felt ripped off. Really can't recommend that to anyone unless, like me, you're just curious because of SSBM.

dyls

For anyone considering Kid Icarus, know that it has some of 'Hip' Tanaka's best music, and thus some of the best music ever. In honor of its release, here is an orchestration I made a few years ago of the final board's music (which is a sort of reprisal of the main theme in a more majestic form)

link

PS: Forgive the over-reverb, I was still new to midi composing back then.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
djtiesto said:
ICARUS FIGHTS
MEDUSA ANGELS
It's strange...Nintendo actually removed support for these "cheat passwords" from Kid Icarus. It's even mentioned on one of the pre-download warning/instruction screens. I tried out this one, and sure enough, it's an invalid password now. I haven't tried the 8u code or any others, but I'm assuming that we won't be able to cheat on Kid Icarus anymore.

fresquito

Somnid said:
I guess you go to the shop and there should be a button that says "update." (that's what the shop channel FAQ says anyway) Like I said I don't have MM so I don't actually know.
I'm thinking this is a NA update. I went to the shop, checked my downloaded games, and there wasn't any option to update. I'll check the FAQ later, maybe I'm going somewhere wrong. Maybe EU doesn't need the update/isn't available yet.

The only problem I've found with music so far is that when you scroll up or down, the music gets interrupted until the scrolling is over.

maynerd

Banned
the girl next door said:
That's awesome that they fixed Military Madness!
Now if only Nintendo would fix Zelda's cropping issue... :(

They fixed what? and how did this fix happen? Were you instructed for an update for the game?

maynerd said:
They fixed what? and how did this fix happen? Were you instructed for an update for the game?

The fixed the slowdown/sound glitching that occurred on maps larger than a single screen. Simply go to Wii Shop and then the Military Madness page. You'll be able to hit and "update" tab and presto! No more bug! (Incidently your save data is NOT COMPRIMISED EITHER).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does Kid Icarus and Kirby allow for infinite continues/passwords/save system? I really dug Solomon's Key, except for the fact that when I died I had to start over from the beginning every time. Which made me never want to play it again.

maynerd

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
The fixed the slowdown/sound glitching that occurred on maps larger than a single screen. Simply go to Wii Shop and then the Military Madness page. You'll be able to hit and "update" tab and presto! No more bug! (Incidently your save data is NOT COMPRIMISED EITHER).

Interesting were you notified of this update?

oreelios

actually for solomon's key, at the game over screen if you hold up and press a+b at the same time you'll start over at the level you died on. pretty damn handy if you ask me. the game is pretty much unbeatable without it.

edit: er, that would be up and 1+2

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
oreelios said:
actually for solomon's key, at the game over screen if you hold up and press a+b at the same time you'll start over at the level you died on. pretty damn handy if you ask me. the game is pretty much unbeatable without it.

edit: er, that would be up and 1+2

WHAT! Oh man, I can't wait to get home and play some more Solomon's Key! Is this mentioned in the online manual? I definitely looked pretty hard at it to see if there was a way to continue.

womp

dyls said:
For anyone considering Kid Icarus, know that it has some of 'Hip' Tanaka's best music, and thus some of the best music ever. In honor of its release, here is an orchestration I made a few years ago of the final board's music (which is a sort of reprisal of the main theme in a more majestic form)

link

PS: Forgive the over-reverb, I was still new to midi composing back then.

Thats pretty cool man! I haven't touched Kid Icarus since....uh...87? Thanks for sharing.

tim1138

Bog said:
Why the hell would they remove passwords from Kid Icarus?

Sounds to me like they just removed the cheat code passwords. Maybe they want people to actually play through the whole game on their own?

Ranger X

What were those Kid Icarus cheats for anyways?

If they were for making the game easier, how about balancing the difficulty as a fix instead of removing the cheat codes?

As for updates, any other games than Military Madness did receive one so far?

gwiz210

First you draw a circle...

...then you dot the eyes.

...then draw a great big smile!

Loving' Kirby's Adventure. Its a ton-of-fun.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Bog said:
Why the hell would they remove passwords from Kid Icarus?
They didn't remove the passwords...they just dropped support for the passwords that, say, make you invincible. You can still use standard passwords to progress through the game.

Still kind of a shame, though.

Bog

Junior Ace
I guess I'm not seeing the point. Why not let someone play through like that? What do they care? Why go out of their way to edit the original rom?

RaidenZR

Bog said:
I guess I'm not seeing the point. Why not let someone play through like that? What do they care? Why go out of their way to edit the original rom?

Furthermore, why waste time, energy, and money editing this stuff out but not working on keeping other more significant things intact. The Mario Kart 64 ghosts, for example. Unless the passwords were somehow screwing up the rom, but I somehow doubt that.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
wasn't Kid Icarus re released on the GBA? Where some passwords removed from that version?

Dave Long

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

This is the best news I've heard all day!

The Virtual Console is really shaping up to be an impressive service. While some aspects are still a bit troubling (no sign of older games being localized, Shop Channel is bloated and rough to navigate, GC controller doesn't get mapped separately), the releases have been excellent for the past few weeks. With a release of 3 first party NES titles, hopefully we won't see another 1 game release like we saw with LTTP. Plus seeing that Military Madness update shows that they're not just putting up games and forgetting about them and are listening to user feedback. It also shows a lot of dedication to the service when the games always go up at the same time and while it's hard to get an idea what's going on with unlocalized games, I feel Nintendo will really deliver with this service.

The PS1 offerings from Sony were pretty impressive initially but they haven't really been keeping up and despite their pricing still being better, they are quickly falling behind.

3rd parties have been pretty slow to get on board but we already know that VC is insanely profitable and a great avenue for older games. I just really hope that Square-Enix eventually hops on as they seem to be very iffy. I realize they try to push enhanced ports, but I think a good amount of their fanbase would not only buy FFVI Advance but then also want to buy FFIII US to be able to play it with the original audio fidelity and resolution.

People should complaint about the LoZ emulation. I hate that the bottom part of the map is missing when I go into the items menu. Update Nintendo!

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Whimsical Phil said:
It's strange...Nintendo actually removed support for these "cheat passwords" from Kid Icarus. It's even mentioned on one of the pre-download warning/instruction screens. I tried out this one, and sure enough, it's an invalid password now. I haven't tried the 8u code or any others, but I'm assuming that we won't be able to cheat on Kid Icarus anymore.
I'm gonna drop kick Nintendo in the face if they remove JUSTIN BAILEY from Metroid.

levious said:
wasn't Kid Icarus re released on the GBA? Where some passwords removed from that version?

It was, although I believe it was a Japan-only Famicom Mini release. It's possible that the Virtual Console emulation is based on that GBA update. When Nintendo released the GBA Mother/Mother 2 compilation in Japan, the original Famicom Mother featured some of the changes made for the unreleased North American NES Earthbound.

john tv

Whimsical Phil said:
Wow, WTF? I can't understand why they'd do this. It's part of the nostalgia! What did the warning say? Any reasoning?

Top Bottom