• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Somnid said:
My guess would be one is the NES game for VC and the other is the game based on the upcoming movie.

sounds right... the NES one is probably:

Tmnt-box.jpg

150px-TMNTNESGame.gif

180px-Tmnt-2.png

Omg, Turtles and Zombies. Fantastic, didn't think we'd ever get any of the old Turtle games. This might give us hope for some of the other licensed games from the past, fingers crossed for Duck Tales and Castle of Illusion.

LakeEarth

(prays for Turtles in Time)

Its one of those games I sold as a kid and TOTALLY regret it. That, Batman Returns, and Battletoads for the GB.

MoxManiac

mosaic said:
Ugh.. the first TMNT on SNES was garbage... I hope Konami has the sense to skip that one and release 2 or 3.

I actually like the first one better than 2 and 3. 2 is just a gimped version of the arcade. 3 wasn't too impressive either. NES just can't do those types of games justice.

gkrykewy said:
Holy shit, one of those is the TMNT arcade port, right? Instant purchase.

I was just telling a friend this weekend how ecstatic I would be if this came to the VC. But it won't. It'd just be too good of a thing to happen.

Az987

all good things
no guys we want the SNES ninja turtles for beat um ups, NES ones sucked except the first one if your into crappy games lol.

Turtles in time FTW!

Jiggy

infiniteloop said:
esrbef1.jpg

esrbmd2.jpg

NES Turtles, and ZAMN!
Oh man Zombies. :eek: Yes.

I was wondering what I'd do with Wii Points since I only wanted SMW, DKC, and NAI and there's no way to split even two of those into anything resembling a multiple of ten, but another SNES game makes it $30 exact for the whole bunch. Perfect. Of course, if any other awesome SNES or Genesis game comes out, I can forego SMW for a time too.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I know it's a bit early in the week, but any guesses what we're gonna get next week? Bio-Hazard Battle was supposed to be out by now, I thought, so I have a feeling that and Mighty Bomb Jack are gonna make their appearance. I am holding out spending my Wii Points until Beyond Oasis and Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Curse get released over here.

The VC is shaping up to be absolutely fantastic and my favorite thing about the Wii...

TMNT! Not a great game, but a classic and deserves to be on VC.

Ubi Soft - E10+ - Violence
Konami - E - Cartoon Violence

Whats the difference? Can't have CG cartoons? CG is more violent than sprites? Horrible CG graphics cause violent damage to your eyes?

Apenheul

Zombies!! I didn't see that one coming. That was probably my favorite SNES cooperative multiplayer game, followed by Goof Troop.

djtiesto said:
I know it's a bit early in the week, but any guesses what we're gonna get next week?

What's imminent based on Japanese (& European) releases:

NES: Zelda II, Mighty Bomb Jack, Galaga, Excitebike
SNES: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV
N64: Ocarina of Time
TG16: Chew Man Fu
Genesis: Shadow Dancer, Bio-Hazard Battle, Beyond Oasis, Sword of Vermilion, Vectorman

I'm guessing Ocarina of Time, Zelda II: Adventure of Link, and Excitebike for North America next week, although they could definitely have a Genesis week based on the backlog. Hudson also has Chew Man Fu listed on their website with a generic February release date, but it might be pushed back. I though Bio-Hazard Battle was listed as a 1st Quarter release in Sega's original PR release (which would include March), though I may be wrong about that.

Ranger X

NintenDonut said:
TMNT! Not a great game, but a classic and deserves to be on VC.

Ubi Soft - E10+ - Violence
Konami - E - Cartoon Violence

Whats the difference? Can't have CG cartoons? CG is more violent than sprites? Horrible CG graphics cause violent damage to your eyes?

Well, the old game (due to old graphics) appear less serious and is less graphic. Or more cartoon-like if you wish. They have the same rating after all you know.

Dave Long said:
I bought Gunstar Heroes on Virtual Console even though I own the cart (and have since the day it came out) just to make sure you guys weren't playing a screwed up version of the game or something. The only thing that's wrong is Red doesn't shout HEY! when he picks up the gems in the first four levels. While that's an admittedly rotten thing for them to leave out, it certainly didn't change how COMPLETELY FRIGGING AWESOME THIS GAME IS!

Seriously... the Dice Palace?! Seven Force?! Seven Force AGAIN IN SPACE!! The "running" boss!?!?!!! GOLDEN SILVER! You're all out of your minds.
Agreed. I played it for the first time thanks to the Virtual Console and I've been enjoying it every time I put it on. Can't seem to beat the boss from the second world however.

Carlisle said:
Oh snaps. I loved those NES Turtles games... please give us Turtles in Time for SNES on XBLA and/or VC!
Fixed.

Seriously, I'd kill for a Turtles in Time with 4 player online co-op. It's criminal Konami included Turtles in Time on their third TMNT game for GC / Xbox / PS2 (WITH four player support), but didn't sell it separately (yet).

MicVlaD said:
It's criminal Konami included Turtles in Time on their third TMNT game for GC / Xbox / PS2 (WITH four player support), but didn't sell it separately (yet).

Are you serious?! I might go out and and get it just because of that.

mosaic

go eat paint
MicVlaD said:
It's criminal Konami included Turtles in Time on their third TMNT game for GC / Xbox / PS2 (WITH four player support), but didn't sell it separately (yet).
It was also criminal that they replaced all of the sound effects with FX from the more recent cartoon. I could get over the choppy frame-rate, but hearing the wrong voices come out every time I grabbed a pizza put me off. If they release the Super NES Turtles in Time for VC, I hope they keep the voices intact.

NintenDonut said:
Are you serious?! I might go out and and get it just because of that.
Yes. Though it looks like it was in the second TMNT game instead of the third. My mistake.

920739_20041022_screen001.jpg

920739_20041022_screen002.jpg

mosaic said:
It was also criminal that they replaced all of the sound effects with FX from the more recent cartoon. I could get over the choppy frame-rate, but hearing the wrong voices come out every time I grabbed a pizza put me off. If they release the Super NES Turtles in Time for VC, I hope they keep the voices intact.
What? Lame.

ethelred

djtiesto said:
Beyond Oasis

Yesssssss.

I cannot wait for that game to go up on the VC. One of my favorites on the system, even though I liked Legend even more than Beyond.

The Genesis games I'd kill to see up on the Virtual Console:
Phantasy Star II & IV
Shining Force I & II
Beyond Oasis
Light Crusader
Warsong
Landstalker
Crusader of Centy
Wanderers from Ys
Shining in the Darkness
Shadowrun
Fatal Labyrinth

Man, the Genesis freaking ruled for RPGs. I still have pretty much all of these games, too (some of them multiple times across different systems), but I don't care -- having them all on one modern system in non-cart format, accessible from a single screen, will just be so awesome. And damn, I really want people who never got the chance to experience some of these fantastic gems see what they were missing out on -- the Phantasy Stars and Shinings and Oasis and Warsong especially.

I'd also love to see Sega's two X-Men games go up there, now that Error's gotten me nostalgic for them. Haha -- hit the "Home" button to reset the computer!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ethelred said:
Yesssssss.

I cannot wait for that game to go up on the VC. One of my favorites on the system, even though I liked Legend even more than Beyond.

The Genesis games I'd kill to see up on the Virtual Console:
Phantasy Star II & IV
Shining Force I & II
Beyond Oasis
Light Crusader
Warsong
Landstalker
Crusader of Centy
Wanderers from Ys
Shining in the Darkness
Shadowrun
Fatal Labyrinth

Man, the Genesis freaking ruled for RPGs. I still have pretty much all of these games, too (some of them multiple times across different systems), but I don't care -- having them all on one modern system in non-cart format, accessible from a single screen, will just be so awesome. And damn, I really want people who never got the chance to experience some of these fantastic gems see what they were missing out on -- the Phantasy Stars and Shinings and Oasis and Warsong especially.

I'd also love to see Sega's two X-Men games go up there, now that Error's gotten me nostalgic for them. Haha -- hit the "Home" button to reset the computer!

Yeah I own quite a number of those games, but really would like a chance to own Shining Force 2 (only borrowed it from a friend when I was younger) and Beyond Oasis (which I never got a chance to play). There was a full translation of Star Odyssey out there somewhere... It's a long shot but it'd be awesome if we could see that game on the VC one of these days. The Genny's RPG library is severely underrated.

And oh yeah you forgot Traysia on that list... extremely slow-paced game with a very Ultima styled battle system, but I dig it for some reason.

I'm trying to stand by my rule of "if I already own it, I won't buy it on VC", but some of my favorite games of all time I will buy on the system on principle - for instance I already have Gunstar Heroes, and would most definitely be getting the Phantasy Star games. I hope we really get SMS support one day, it's a shame that the most accessible version of the original is the buggy as hell GBA port.

Tauran

My favorite TMNT games were Turtles in Time for SNES and TMNT: The Arcade Game for the NES. I did enjoy TMNT 2 as well but honestly I think that Turtle in Time and The Arcade Game had everything that I wanted in a mulitplayer, side scrolling beat-em-up. In my opinion, every action sidescrolling/platformer TMNT game since Turtles in Time has been crap.

Any other fans of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters for the SNES out there though?

I loved that game when I was a kid and I would buy it on VC.

~tauran

Oh! Totally off the topic of TNNT, but I want Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers for the NES soooo bad. I'd pay double for the game on the VC.

ethelred

djtiesto said:
Yeah I own quite a number of those games, but really would like a chance to own Shining Force 2 (only borrowed it from a friend when I was younger) and Beyond Oasis (which I never got a chance to play). There was a full translation of Star Odyssey out there somewhere... It's a long shot but it'd be awesome if we could see that game on the VC one of these days. The Genny's RPG library is severely underrated.

It's criminally underrated, really. It's something I've been musing over a lot lately. Yeah, obviously if you look at the entirety of the SNES RPG library, including all the stuff that stayed Japan-only (Romancing SaGa trilogy, FFV, DQV & VI, Front Mission, Seiken Densetsu 3, etc., etc.), the SNES is leagues ahead. But if you look at just the stuff that got English-language releases for the SNES and Genesis/CD, the two systems are very, very comparable in both quantity and quality.

In the US, the two systems were easily close to equals. It just never gets the recognition it deserves, unfortunately.

djtiesto said:
I'm trying to stand by my rule of "if I already own it, I won't buy it on VC", but some of my favorite games of all time I will buy on the system on principle - for instance I already have Gunstar Heroes, and would most definitely be getting the Phantasy Star games.

Well, that's not my rule... I fully intend to buy plenty of stuff I already own, provided I'm given the opportunity. I like the idea of having all my favorite old games available on one console, able to access them and play them whenever I want. It'll be nice to not have to worry about hooking up the Genesis or SNES again.

djtiesto said:
I hope we really get SMS support one day, it's a shame that the most accessible version of the original is the buggy as hell GBA port.

Forget SMS... what I really want is for the Genesis' CD games to be available up here. If I can get Working Designs' CD games and Shining Force CD up on the VC, too, then I'll really never have to worry about hooking up the Genesis again.

fresquito

I finally downloaded Super Mario World, and all I can say is that it's as awesome as it always was. After all these years, it hasn't aged in the slightest. Pretty 2D graphics, awesome controls and a sense of fun that knows no equal. I love it.

About Gunstar Heroes, well, I love it as well. It offers so much diversity and freedom of style. You can play the way you like better, and playing with different weapons change the game entirely.

My third game is Military Madness, that is not in the league of these two games, but a very good offering nonetheless.

My ratio of not owned vs previously owned games is 2:1

Lapsed

Banned
Those bellyaching that the first (NES) TMNT is coming and not one of the arcade ports need to stop and think. TMNT games did not look likely to be released at all due to the licensing. When a company starts putting out these games, they are going to start with the first ones (such as the first Castlevania before it puts out Castlevania II or III). If TMNT can come out, then awesome games like Ducktales are a possibility.

The recent announcements of Nintendo becoming interested in translating Japanese games (from NOA and NOE) has to come from Virtual Console far surpassing their early sales estimates (and VC has had no advertising at all). Something about the VC's perfomance had to change Nintendo's mind (and third parties?) on investing money on translations and licenses. Untangling all these legal knots costs money with their army of lawyers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo showed the numbers (and profits) to other third parties not yet participating in the VC (like Electronic Arts) and having them seriously consider jumping in. And there are other platforms like the Commodore 64 that could come on. Hudson has expressed an interest in putting their CD games up. There is still so much untapped potential to the VC that its mindboggling.

Let's hope Nintendo figures out a fix to our disk space issues. Once that is done, viola, we're going to start seeing CD games.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Lapsed said:
Those bellyaching that the first (NES) TMNT is coming and not one of the arcade ports need to stop and think. TMNT games did not look likely to be released at all due to the licensing. When a company starts putting out these games, they are going to start with the first ones (such as the first Castlevania before it puts out Castlevania II or III). If TMNT can come out, then awesome games like Ducktales are a possibility.

The recent announcements of Nintendo becoming interested in translating Japanese games (from NOA and NOE) has to come from Virtual Console far surpassing their early sales estimates (and VC has had no advertising at all). Something about the VC's perfomance had to change Nintendo's mind (and third parties?) on investing money on translations and licenses. Untangling all these legal knots costs money with their army of lawyers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo showed the numbers (and profits) to other third parties not yet participating in the VC (like Electronic Arts) and having them seriously consider jumping in. And there are other platforms like the Commodore 64 that could come on. Hudson has expressed an interest in putting their CD games up. There is still so much untapped potential to the VC that its mindboggling.

Let's hope Nintendo figures out a fix to our disk space issues. Once that is done, viola, we're going to start seeing CD games.
I deeply wish to see some Saturn games on the VC/PSN/XBLA. It's the only console not properly emulated on PC yet.

uh but why not the SNES versions?

hm i get it, they want to milk out the NES versions and then have poeple repurchase the better looking SNES ones later.

ksamedi

Lapsed said:

Seriously, commadore was awesome. I cant imagine how much money i would spend on the VC if that happened. The VC is still very young, and a lot of stuff could happen. Monkey island here i come :D

Ranger X

VicAlpha said:
I deeply wish to see some Saturn games on the VC/PSN/XBLA. It's the only console not properly emulated on PC yet.

Maybe PSN or XBLA if they remove the weight limit or put it high enough.
I truly doubt you will download a Saturn game ever on the VC. They want to keep the download times short and there simply isn't enough memory in the Wii.

Ranger X said:
Maybe PSN or XBLA if they remove the weight limit or put it high enough.
I truly doubt you will download a Saturn game ever on the VC. They want to keep the download times short and there simply isn't enough memory in the Wii.

Not to mention the complicated hardware of the Saturn.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
infiniteloop said:
esrbef1.jpg

esrbmd2.jpg

NES Turtles, and ZAMN!

There is something that has not been asked here yet, is this the SNES version or the Genesis version of Zombies Ate My Neighbors? Also, this might mean that Lucasarts(THE DEV) is on board and we could see the Super Star Wars Trilogy appear on the VC.

Diablohead said:
Some of the best music on nes also :D

It's also the only Turtles game from Konami that doesn't feature any variations of the classic Turtles theme music. If 4-kids still won't allow the old music to be used, this game might be the only one we'll get on the VC.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is a question for the Aussies: since the Everybody Votes channel update, when Nintendo stopped allowing you to swap between UK and Australia for your country without losing Wii points, has anyone tried purchasing more points while registered as a UK user? Does the shop let you?

I have 1200 points left to spend and am logged in as a UK user. As I understand it I can still spend those points as long as I stay registered as a UK user, but I will lose them if I change to Australia. Yet I can't buy more points if I stay logged in as UK (I need someone to confirm this).

fresquito

I'm playing and having a blast with Super Mario World, but I have a doubt. There're some stages that have red dots instead yellow, this means
they have more than one exit
, however I remember that when you cleared them, they turned yellow. Now, it's been lots of years and I could be wrong, am I?

BTW, is there a way to see how many Yoshi coins you've got in certain stage?

Hehehe, it's like going back 15 years in time :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
if TMNT NES will be on the VC what's stopping.... Turtles In Time oh MAN I'll so buy that shit

Jasoco

Banned
Cyan said:
Naw, they always stayed red. And sadly, there's no record kept of Yoshi coins at all. The only point is an extra life.
Ah yes. The one "drawback" to getting the original games is losing all the "enhancements" they added to the GBA ports.

I just want the original SMB3 and SMB2. The great thing about those games back in the day is you had to finish it all at once or not at all. No saving. I want that. Especially with the original primitive NES graphics. I just love it. I can't wait. All-Stars is one thing, but the originals are something else.

I haven't turned on my Wii in a few days. I gotta do that and check out what's new.

Top Bottom