• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

watership said:
Butting into this convo to offer info!

XBLA Lauch titles:

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Mutant Storm Reloaded
Joust
Gauntlet
Hexic HD
Smash TV
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
Bankshot Billiards 2
Zuma Deluxe
Outpost Kaloki
Robotron: 2084
Wik: The Fable of Souls

I think that's it. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

OK. I think that clears that up quite nicely. Thanks for letting me know.

I love how people are still surprised by the price of VC games. :lol

Just remember, you could be paying $20 a piece to play them on a handheld, rather than $5-10 to play them on a console.

maharg

idspispopd
soul creator said:
didn't mario paint and the mouse come out way after sim city released?

I think Sim City was a launch title in the US for the SNES, and Mario Paint was like a year later.

Yeah, but I was pretty young and naive, so logic had no sway. I'm just hoping they rectify it here. It'd be a nice way to have something that shows off the Power of Waggle in the VC selection too.

Ninja Scooter said:
thats all Nintendo could manage to launch with after 2 years of pimping the VC download service as one of their bigger features?
1.5 years. Still disappointing, but the service will still be amazing.

xsarien

daedsiluap
This isn't fair:

Kobun Heat said:
f your TV is in 16:9 mode, it defaults to a stretched-out image. And you have to manually put it back into 4:3. WTF. Lame.

I have yet to encounter a widescreen set smart(?) enough to assume that the user wants to view 4:3 content in a 4:3 window and not scaled to 16:9. This is common across a lot of devices, and it's certainly not on Nintendo to somehow figure out a solution, more likely it's on TV manufacturers.

Snaku

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
thats all Nintendo could manage to launch with after 2 years of pimping the VC download service as one of their bigger features?

I think they don't want people to be distracted from the launch games too much, and they don't want to blow all of their good games on day one. We should be getting some badass games in the coming weeks.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Kobun Heat said:
I didn't say it was the TV's fault, I said it was Nintendo's for not rendering VC games in a windowsd 16:9 to begin with, like XBLA does.

Shitty video of me downloading and playing Zelda up now. http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/11/wii_servers_go_.html

I think that's well beyond the scope of what they're trying to do with the VC, which seems to be simply providing older games as close to the source material as possible.

andthebeatgoeson

SuperPac said:
A description of the game plus two screenshots (different than the one on the first page).

It's automatic. You hit the Home button and quit out to the Wii menu and it's saved from that point.
I got all excited that it would be easy to reload a save state but something tells me it won't be as easy to save before a tough part and reload quickly. Maybe I could finally beat adventure island.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Firestorm said:
Where the hell is Super Metroid >=O

Come now, you expect Nintendo to just put everything up in one shot? A release schedule gives focus to a core group of games every month instead of all of them vying for attention.

Snaku said:
I think they don't want people to be distracted from the launch games too much, and they don't want to blow all of their good games on day one. We should be getting some badass games in the coming weeks.

i wasn't expecting every Zelda, Mario and Metroid on day 1, but that list is just pathetic. Most of it is the same old, boring old games Nintendo has been re-releasing for years. I guess with the way Nintendo was touting it as a feature (and to behonest, it was probably what i was most excited about the Wii/Revolution for from the beginning) they would make a little more effort. Go to some 3rd parties to try and get some niche games available. Have a more varied lineup.

I can't believe some of you seriously thought the games would go for $1 a piece! There's no way Nintendo would release them that cheap and it'd just be a stupid business move. Sure the games are old, so what? There really not that expensive. $8 for an SNES game isn't that expensive. I mean if you have money for actual Wii games, $10 max shouldn't be a problem

LM4sure

Banned
xsarien said:
Come now, you expect Nintendo to just put everything up in one shot? A release schedule gives focus to a core group of games every month instead of all of them vying for attention.

But why can't Nintendo just put every game up there now? Or if now, put them up asap? Why must they be released in batches? Why can't we have them all now?!!? I don't get it!!

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
So wait, you can save actual GAMES to SD cards, not just your saves? Does that mean that I can buy a game, then save it to my SD card and give my friend a copy to play for free on his Wii? I would imagine Nintendo would find a way to disallow this but ya never know..

Also... when the hell is the internet going to be working? :( Really sad that it might not be ready to use tonight.

MrCheez said:
So wait, you can save actual GAMES to SD cards, not just your saves? Does that mean that I can buy a game, then save it to my SD card and give my friend a copy to play for free on his Wii? I would imagine Nintendo would find a way to disallow this but ya never know..

No. Each download is locked to a particular Wii so you can dump the games to your SD card then play them later on your system, but you can't take them off the system and give them to a friend.

andthebeatgoeson

I agree that they should have more games. There's no reason to not have 30+ games. Give us some variety in types of games and series. Tecmobowl should be up there, Bionic Commando, StarFox 64, some of the obscure 64 games. They have all these programmers and you couldn't get 5 people to pound out a game a day? They are probably trying to test the entire game on the emulator so it doesn't **** up.

xsarien said:
This isn't fair:

I have yet to encounter a widescreen set smart(?) enough to assume that the user wants to view 4:3 content in a 4:3 window and not scaled to 16:9. This is common across a lot of devices, and it's certainly not on Nintendo to somehow figure out a solution, more likely it's on TV manufacturers.

It would have been nice if the NTSC had added a flag to the NTSC signal to say what type of format the video should be in. Or maybe they did, and nobody adheres to it.

maynerd said:
How much does nintendo sell points for directly? Do you have to buy them in blocks?

You can buy them in cards of 2000 initially, IIRC, with other numbers available later (I think cards with 5000 points have been mentioned). I don't believe you can buy a certain number of points, though - it's either 2000pt cards or paying per download.

LM4sure

Banned
WTF?!? No internet browser? Wow. And here I was saying that Nintendo planned their launch well (with having plenty of systems and what not). But now I see that they don't launch with many VC games AND there is no ****ing internet!!!!!! This sucks.

maynerd

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
You can buy them in cards of 2000 initially, IIRC, with other numbers available later (I think cards with 5000 points have been mentioned). I don't believe you can buy a certain number of points, though - it's either 2000pt cards or paying per download.

I'm talking about buying direct thru the interface. Do you have to buy in blocks thru the interface or can you just pay for the game itself?

maynerd said:
I'm talking about buying direct thru the interface. Do you have to buy in blocks thru the interface or can you just pay for the game itself?

Ah, sorry - no, I think you can just pay per game.

Don't think it's been confirmed? Source is Opera.

Yeah, you're right enough - I've just been across to the Opera forums and it has been confirmed. No word on availability yet - just that details will be released shortly. Hopefully any delay is a matter of a week or two & everything is in place for the Euro launch in December.

it's obvious why Nintendo is doing it this way...

they want more suckers to microtransact games they normally wouldn't...

some people just feel ... OBLIGATED ... to waste their money every week...

so every monday, they will buy something...

stop microtransacting folks.

Aeana

Oh, man, the music in the Wii menus is awesome. I want one even more now.

EDIT: ah, it's just in the store. That's even better, it sounds like store music. Blue-light special on aisle 3!

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
xsarien said:
This isn't fair:

TV's just display what they are told. Usually it's the hardware that has to have the changes.

For example, my DVD player (the Oppo OPDV971H), you can set the display to Widescreen Squeeze. That will display all widescreen content in widescreen, and display all fullscreen content as 4:3 in the widescreen area.

I also have Dish Network, and the ViP 622 HD box has 4:3 #1 and 4:3 #2. One of them stretches, the other does not.

Hopefully they can create some sort of vote system where every so often, a list is released with a bunch of games (a few obscure, a few big names) and you vote for which one you want to see the most.

BTW Iwata's vision was to have every Nintendo game released on consoles available for play. So even though VC has had a pretty bad start, I have faith that in the end they'll satisfy the fans.

crbowen

LM4sure said:
WTF?!? No internet browser? Wow. And here I was saying that Nintendo planned their launch well (with having plenty of systems and what not). But now I see that they don't launch with many VC games AND there is no ****ing internet!!!!!! This sucks.

I agree. A no purchase for me. Internet on a PC and laptop are overrated.

I also agree on the VC. I mean, no themed UNO pack? WTF Nintendo?!?!?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Starting up the VC games (or Zelda at least) took a noticeable amount of time. Its not overly long but long enough to ask yourself why the games aren't starting up faster (especially a NES game). It will probably become quicker with future updates (if its even seen as an issue).

Fortunately changing the aspect ratio on my HDTV's is just the click of a button on my remotes. They have a button to switch up the aspect ratio, instead of going into the menu.

You sure you don't have a button like that on your Samsung remote Kobun? You've probably checked already.

jarosh

jarosh said:
Kobun Heat said:
JAROSH LET ME GO AHEAD AND WHIP OUT MY FORIEGN CREDIT CARD AND TRY

OH WAIT

I ASSUME YOU HAVE TO SELECT THE COUNTRY OF YOUR CREDIT CARD ADDRESS AT SOME POINT. IS USA THE ONLY OPTION?

- YES
- NO

THAT'S ALL I WANT TO KNOW
kobun :(

BlueTsunami said:
Starting up the VC games (or Zelda at least) took a noticeable amount of time. Its not overly long but long enough to ask yourself why the games aren't starting up faster (especially a NES game). It will probably become quicker with future updates (if its even seen as an issue).

Depends how they're running the games. If - as seems likely - they're using some kind of proprietary emulation, then starting the emulator would probably cause a couple of seconds delay. I'd be interested to see what kind of startup time there is on SM64, though.

I don't get all the drama about the VC. Yes it ain't much, but think about it. The problem with the GC was the long droughts. The first 2 years weren't all that bad especially in the Western world. With loads of AAA titles left, they can make small re-launches all the time. In a years time peeple will be like "OMG I can get this game and that game again". I think its a good thing. Or I'd want a lot of them right of the bat. This way every month we can get excited about a particular re-release of something. It will be great I am already looking forward to it. And if the Wii is as popluar as they say they're hoping then this really will help it with a steady release of good nostalgicc games. Its also a bigger investment, to do when you haven't actually earnt anything from the actual product. So starting from a small one, then investing with what you earn from the actual venture is amuch smarter business plan.

In conclusion I am for it in every aspect. I am also one of those who is happy with the pricing strategy, as long as it doesn't convert into direct £. e.g. $5=£5, it should be like $5=£3.

Flynn

Instead of a progress bar, Mario runs across the screen collecting coins. He hits one of three question blocks every so often.

The downloads are really quick. As they should be.

The stretch is a bummer. Nice classic-themed side bars like the Namco XBLA games would have been a nice touch.

Cheerilee

If we get 52 VC games a year for the next five years, then the freaking N64 will have had more support than the Virtual Console.

Top Bottom