• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

My game is actually Shining Force 2, but we can add Zombies Ate my Neighbors to that pile! It's warm over here.

My ZAMN cart stopped working. That was a sad day.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh, SF II is coming out in May, so says my psychic powers. You should boomark this post so you can hurl praises at me when it happens. By praises, I mean free VC or Wiiware games.

Man God said:
Oh, SF II is coming out in May, so says my psychic powers. You should boomark this post so you can hurl praises at me when it happens. By praises, I mean free VC or Wiiware games.

I was already planning on doing an Amir0x on that. :lol If you guess correctly, you will be rewarded.

Ranger X

River City Ransom. Sweet game. Best NES beat 'em up.

I hope one of you the 10 guys still posting here and supporting the system will buy 'cause i already own the original cartridge!!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Man God said:
Considering EB is coming to the DS this fall.

If that comes true, I will gift you every single VC game you want from now to the end of the Wii.

I don't have to worry about living up to that because (a) Nintendo doesn't need to release a DS version because Mother 1+2 is already out on GBA and (b) NOA hates Mother fans.

Give me Earthbound or give me death, Nintendo!

charlequin said:
Can anyone educate me as to what other games besides SMRPG fall onto this mythical "rated then disappeared" list Jiggy is referring to?

Zombies Ate My Neighbours.

;_;

Edit: Crow, you'd better hope more than anyone that we get Earthbound on VC. I've already sold you on it and it's either the VC or pay inflated eBay prices. :p

Jiggy

charlequin said:
Can anyone educate me as to what other games besides SMRPG fall onto this mythical "rated then disappeared" list Jiggy is referring to?
I don't even know where people got that SMRPG was on there; I don't remember seeing it, unless people are thinking of an entirely separate list of hypothetical VC releases that IGN tossed together seemingly at random prior to Wii even hitting shelves.
Anyway, Zombies Ate My Neighbors was the big one. I think Beetle Adventure Racing was in there too, though I'm not quite sure on that one.

Man God said:
Oh yeah, well, I predict that May will be VC's month of RPGs, with Shining Force II, Ys Book I & II, Dragon Slayer, Phantasy Star IV, and Warsong--all of them either rated by the ESRB, already released on the Japanese VC, or both.

crowphoenix said:
I was already planning on doing an Amir0x on that. :lol If you guess correctly, you will be rewarded.
I call May 19th. Closest thing to last year's VC Day of Amazing: May 21st, 2007, bringing us Blazing Lazers, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Streets of Rage 2.

Jiggy37 said:
Oh yeah, well, I predict that May will be VC's month of RPGs, with Shining Force II, Ys Book I & II, Dragon Slayer, Phantasy Star IV, and Warsong--all of them either rated by the ESRB, already released on the Japanese VC, or both.

Wow. Dragon Slayer. Wow. That brings back memories. Like "I remember my friend Zach had a game called Dragon Slayer for his TurboDuo."

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I call May 19th. Closest thing to last year's VC Day of Amazing: May 21st, 2007, bringing us Blazing Lazers, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Streets of Rage 2.

I still say the Super Metroid / Neutopia / Shinobi week was better.

Iam Canadian

Ranger X said:
I guess that a week including the best game ever can't really lose...

Well, it doesn't have the best game ever, because it didn't have Earthbound. :p

Seriously, though, the Super Metroid / Shinobi / Neutopia week wins because it has one of the best games ever made, one of the best clones of the original Zelda game, and a very solid ninja action game.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
I still say the Super Metroid / Neutopia / Shinobi week was better.
I'd put Super Metroid four points ahead of Donkey Kong Country 2, but Streets of Rage 2 two points ahead of Neutopia. Haven't played Shinobi, but Blazing Lazers was a pretty fine shooter in every way except for its horrible sound effects.

Most importantly, your week was in August and I don't want to wait that long for Shining Force II.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have no problem waiting for an emoticon filled, sub par Fire Emblem wannabe. :D

I'm pretty sure though barring something really fantastic RCR might be my last NES game. I can't think of anything else I'd want that isn't licensed.

Man God said:
I'm pretty sure though barring something really fantastic RCR might be my last NES game. I can't think of anything else I'd want that isn't licensed.

Adventure Island III? Adventures of Lolo III? Crystalis? Archon? Battle of Olympus? Faxanadu? Bionic Commando? Castlevania III? Crash 'n the Boys: Street Challenge? Deja Vu? Double Dragon II? Fire 'n Ice? Gargoyle's Quest II? Legendary Wings? Little Samson? Magic of Scheherazade? Maniac Mansion? Metal Storm? Metal Gear? Mighty Final Fight? Pinball Quest? Rygar? Shadowgate? Shatterhand? Shingen the Ruler? Strider? Vice: Project Doom? Any Mega Man? Final Fantasy? :lol Any Dragon Warrior? :lol

You may not be interested in fifty percent of the above list, but I would wager I got at least five titles that piqued your curiousity. I would say all except the last two are possibilities for release. And these were titles that simply stood out to me while scanning Nintendo's database. The NES library is far from exhausted.

Plus, if Capcom can't find some executive flunkie to go schmooze Disney execs and strike a grand bargain to open up Capcom's Disney-licensed titles (which would be an absolute gold mine for both parties), I may be available to report for duty in a few weeks. I'm already used to being paid slave wages . . . at least now my work would go towards a good cause. :lol

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
You, unless either 1) ESRB ratings have truly ceased to mean anything for the future of VC, or 2) Nintendo wants to make miracles happen.

Edit: The real race is between you/me/schuelma (Shining Force II) and Dragona (Ys Book I & II). Whose months-delayed game will arrive sooner?

Hey, I want Shining Force II as well!

RedBoot

Jiggy37 said:
Anyway, Zombies Ate My Neighbors was the big one. I think Beetle Adventure Racing was in there too, though I'm not quite sure on that one.

TMNT 2 was the other big one that disappeared from the ESRB lists. As for Beetle Adventure Racing, I think it was one of those games rated under the "Nintendo" label instead of the Wii label (Aerofighters Assault and Hagane were a few others), and we don't have a clue what that means.

As for unreleased NES games, don't forget imports as well. I'd buy Joy Mech Fight or Devil World in a second, and there's plenty of other stuff that doesn't require translation that we could see.

I almost want to buy Phantasy Star III. It's nowhere near as good as II or IV, but it's kind of got its own charm, and I did like it back in the day. I do have the Genesis Collection though, so I should just play that. I do plan on buying PSIV when it comes to the VC, despite having the collections, just for the convenience of it.

evilromero said:
I guess RCR is good enough for this week. But I'm still hoping Konami drops Dracula X sooner rather than later. Maybe next time?

It's only getting released in Japan next week. Given our luck, it'll be awhile.

And it certainly won't be any sooner when it comes to CV3/Akumajou Densetsu (special chips) or Castlevania Chronicles (Sega console 3rd party reticence).

Iam Canadian

ethelred said:

I think we all want Shining Force II.

Except for Man God, apparently.

cartman414 said:
[...]Castlevania Chronicles (Sega console 3rd party reticence).

That would be Castlevania Bloodlines you're thinking of. Castlevania Chronicles was on the Playstation.

Also, your NES game lists have neglected to mention Mother and Life Force.

ethelred said:

We accept you and welcome you with open arms, brother. Please, make yourself comfortable. It looks as if there shall be a wait ahead of us.

Iam Canadian said:
Edit: Crow, you'd better hope more than anyone that we get Earthbound on VC. I've already sold you on it and it's either the VC or pay inflated eBay prices. :p

I have seen those prices. They scared me, so I can back to the safety of the VC thread.

Iam Canadian

crowphoenix said:
I have seen those prices. They scared me, so I can back to the safety of the VC thread.

You will cave, my friend. Oh, yes, you will cave.

I got my copy for ten bucks. With box, Player's Guide, and Scratch 'n Sniff stickers. :D

Firestorm

Well, unlike you guys Nintendo / Sega decided to put up half the game I want but left the other half off while charging full price anyway.

Iam Canadian said:
That would be Castlevania Bloodlines you're thinking of. Castlevania Chronicles was on the Playstation.

Whoops. My bad.

Also, your NES game lists have neglected to mention Mother and Life Force.

I'd sure love to have that version of Life Force, but that hasn't even shown up in Japan.

JSnake

Dear GAF, I am writing my VC reviews and have not played PSIII. Tell me why it sucks so I'm not just telling my readers it sucks, but why it sucks.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
JSnake said:
Dear GAF, I am writing my VC reviews and have not played PSIII. Tell me why it sucks so I'm not just telling my readers it sucks, but why it sucks.
I'm not sure you should be writing a review at all if you're not going to play the game yourself.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
Screw that. Jiggy and Schuelma wouldn't even have Shining Force if not for me.

This is true. I appoint ethel as the official rep of the "we want Shining Force II" coalition.

Iam Canadian

Cyan said:
Boo-fuckin-yeah! I just beat Startropics for the first time ever!

I was never able to get past that level where you throw baseballs at the Moa statue, when I was a kid. Between this and beating Zelda II a month or so ago, I feel totally hardcore. :D

Anyway, didn't think this deserved its own thread, so I just thought I'd put it in here. Carry on.

Good job!

I feel hardcore because I was able to beat the first two Ninja Gaiden games on VC. :D I haven't even bothered to do the third one, though. Ninja Gaiden plus finite continues equals no.

Luigison

JSnake said:
Where do you write reviews? Call me old fashioned, but I want to make sure I'm not basing any of my purchasing discussions on reviews of games that the reviewer hasn't played.

JSnake said:
I has no monies.
Oh, sorry. I didn't realize integrity was proportional to monetary amount. Guess I should have learned something from the Kane & Lynch review fiasco.

JSnake

Luigison said:
Where do you write reviews? Call me old fashioned, but I want to make sure I'm not basing any of my purchasing discussions on reviews of games that the reviewer hasn't played.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize integrity was proportional to monetary amount. Guess I should have learned something from the Kane & Lynch review fiasco.

But I have to review it. I'm the VC reviewer guy. D:

Cyan said:
Boo-fuckin-yeah! I just beat Startropics for the first time ever!

I was never able to get past that level where you throw baseballs at the Moa statue, when I was a kid. Between this and beating Zelda II a month or so ago, I feel totally hardcore. :D

Anyway, didn't think this deserved its own thread, so I just thought I'd put it in here. Carry on.

This man deserves a slow clap. Now that is awesome.

My best feet of hardcore-ness was getting to level 47 in Zombies Ate my Neighbors in one continue. That was an awesome afternoon.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dash Kappei said:
So, is the Shining series comparable to Fire Emblem?

I wasn't interested as a kid since the SRPG genre hit my tastes fairly later in my life as a videogamer. I guess it's time to fill that gap, since I'm thirty now, they're dirty cheap and they're highly praised.
Just one question though: I hated Final Fantasy Advance (never played Tactics), love Fire Emblem (easily in my top5 IPs ever), I like very much Famicom/Advance Wars (not in love with them like FE 'cause I like finding battle strategies but creating units/resource hunting never clicked with me in any vg) and I find the Super Robot Taisen series simply awesome... Do you reckon I'll like the game? Which ones in the series are out on EU VC?.

Anyone?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shining Force games are FE clones, only slightly less hardcore and with 100% of the things that some people put down Camelot RPGs for. (My favorite part of their games, to be honest.)

Shining in the Darkness is a Wizardry style game. I think there are a few others along this path.

Most other SF games, especially anything made this decade? Pure shite.

Top Bottom