• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
SabinFigaro said:
Exactly, and they are reading this thread deriving untold amounts of pleasure from our misery.
I'm pretty certain that all Nintendo release schedules, including VC, are determined by NCL and have no connection whatsoever to what anyone in America wants -- including NOA. I'd like to think that every time a fudgy new pile of crap lands on VC, the American Wii Channel team sheds a mournful tear for us and whispers a silent apology.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Kobun Heat said:
Whoa, whoa. Stop now. Do not organize a petition, do not write to them. I guarantee you that the people involved in picking Virtual Console releases for the U.S. already read this thread on a daily basis. It's not as if they're sitting in their ivory towers completely oblivious.
Then I have just one question for them:

Why don't you want my money? I mean, you see the games that people want. You know the ones that will make cash for you and you still don't release them.

You see how excited people get when a third party says, "Our game X is coming to Virtual Console", and know we're ready to spend our Wii Points, but you still don't release them.

It's not that we're looking to hate Virtual Console; we want Virtual Console to be awesome. And when Virtual Console has awesome games, we want to buy them. You are the ONLY reason we won't buy V-Con games. Yeah, you still need to make a storage solution, and I don't want to undersell the importance of that, but we'd clean out the fridge a little more if the games you were releasing warranted such an action.

What are you waiting for?

ToastyFrog said:
I'm pretty certain that all Nintendo release schedules, including VC, are determined by NCL and have no connection whatsoever to what anyone in America wants -- including NOA. I'd like to think that every time a fudgy new pile of crap lands on VC, the American Wii Channel team sheds a mournful tear for us and whispers a silent apology.

That doesn't explain how NOE VC is getting proper updates, better in both quality and quantity.

Gabyskra

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
That doesn't explain how NOE VC is getting proper updates, better in both quality and quantity.
Meh, here people are starting to notice it has slowed down too. Decent stuff but not groundbreaking (IK+ for ex). The number of releases is pretty much on par as Wiiware and VC alternate.

mclem

Kobun Heat said:
Whoa, whoa. Stop now. Do not organize a petition, do not write to them. I guarantee you that the people involved in picking Virtual Console releases for the U.S. already read this thread on a daily basis. It's not as if they're sitting in their ivory towers completely oblivious.
I think people would just like some explanation as to the logic behind their selection process. I *suspect* they've done some market research into the issue that suggests this is the right way to go right now, but it could just be a big bran tub with cartridges stuffed in it that they pick out of...

Of course, my personal bugbear (we might get games released in PAL, but generally they're the unoptimised 50hz version. Frankly, taking out all the games where the PAL version sucks, I generally feel you've got the better end of the deal) never seems to get answered or even an acknowledgement that they're considering offering alternatives.

As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of Strongbad is simply because Telltale hadn't anticipated the rigours of getting a game certified for console play. If it failed cert - and I'd be surprised if a company working on consoles for the first time *didn't* fail cert on the first few attempts - then it would have been bounced back to them for fixing

mclem

Dragona Akehi said:
The alternation is hiding their practices somewhat. Due to them only doing VC releases every other week, that allows them to amalgamate two weeks' worth of releases into one, making it look rather more substantive.

HUELEN10

That Cow-man who handles "Raw Meat" got this from is rep today....

A number of variables can affect a game’s release date. Therefore, the Wii-kly Update is the only authority for confirmed release dates of Virtual Console games. - Nintendo of America

AniHawk

Man, this thread today:

ildqi9.jpg

AniHawk

HUELEN10 said:
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Seriously, where is that from?
Christ, you made me spill wine on my keyboard!

Brian Vaughn's Pride of Baghdad. It's not a comedy. But when you take stuff out of context, you get that.

Cjkorea

Wow- You know the VC was what put me over the buying line when the WII first came out And I've got lots of VC games cause I would buy a game practically every week. What a joke the VC is now... They don't advertise VC games, they don't release games that have been rated months and months ago, and now they are pissing off both the consumer and other companies at the same time. There has to be a major drop off in VC sales. But i guess those figures aren't open to the public. Maybe they have to come up with a storage solution before they release a game that they know will get lots of downloads.

Yes the WII is a success but damn they could make it so much better.

assholes-

donny2112

The last WiiWare/VC game I bought was Paper Mario 64 in late May or early June. I'll eventually buy Lost Winds and maybe that shooter pirate WiiWare game, but I'm in no rush due to the lack of a storage solution. (Everyone here knows what a pain in time it is to try to "clean the fridge" by moving stuff to SD cards.) Lack of really interesting VC games helps me be fine in waiting longer. I think about the only thing that would make me go through another cleaning session in my "fridge" would be Goldeneye, but as that's never going to happen, I should be good until Nintendo decides to bless us with actual storage space in their console.

They still should've been using the SD cards with a propietary encryption solution by the second week of the Wii's release, though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
NINTENDOO!!

DAMN YOUUUU

this thread is depressing, i'm staying out of here.

RedBoot

HUELEN10 said:
That Cow-man who handles "Raw Meat" got this from is rep today....

This is the usual official response, and I don't doubt that shit just happens sometimes...but how does it happen three times on the same damn day? If it were just Hudson or something (like last time) then I wouldn't doubt it, but how do three different companies get it wrong at the same time?

This is worse than November/December in the Dojo.

Seriously, Nintendo's released seven? games in 2008 for the VC. Only four were very good. Their last release was July 14. Their last great release was May 5.

What the fuck.

Amory

I bought pong toss. Am I part of the problem?

Actually it was worth the 8 bucks for the laughs. Easily recommended.

And yes, Nintendo hates us all. Especially north america, because we don't have mega man.

EDIT: I bought Lost Winds at the same time so...that makes up for it right? Er...right?

Ehhh, I'm unhappy like everyone else but I try to have patience. I know that Nintendo has put out UTTER CRAP for the VC recently but eventually we will get the games we want. I mean Earthbound and Super Mario RPG are both rated. We'll get them... eventually. But because Nintendo is so secretive we will never know when we are going to get them. It's like a surprise party you don't want.

I think what is most frustrating about the VC is the fact that it is secretive. With other DLC we at least have a vague release dates to go by. With VC we have suggestions from publishers and ratings from ESRB to gauge what games will come out. It's really too vague. I believe we should get a list of games that are going to be released each month just like Japan. There really isn't any reason Nintendo can't extend America AND Europe the same courtesy.

The only other thing I have a problem with is the amount of content released weekly. Why are we only getting 2-4 things on any given week? Is that some sort of magic number? I believe there are enough games rated already to release 4-6 games per week for the rest of the year. Why would Nintendo not want to make money? What confuses me about Nintendo is their disregard for easy money. All other companies go for the easy money while Nintendo seems to like taking the hard route. I mean, it doesn't matter if a VC game does not sell. There is no material loss because everything is digital.

My hope is that Nintendo is tapering its game launches to 2-4 games because it knows there is a storage problem. If they released more games weekly that would mean that the storage problem would get worse and worse. Until Nintendo solves this issue I can see why they only release 2-4 games per week. Only Nintendo seems to know what the future holds... :(

The Hermit

AniHawk said:
Y'see, when you say "Splatterhouse 2" is coming out on Monday or "Sonic the Hedgehog for the SMS" will come out the same day, nobody panics, because it's all part of the plan. But if you say one, little ol' Ys game is on its way... well then everyone loses their minds!

Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes... chaos.

Kagari's an agent of chaos.

Oh, and the thing about chaos? It's fear.

:lol :lol
This quote works so good in this context!

Somnid

Dragona Akehi said:

I wouldn't go that far. May was the only month that was really any different because they got some TG16 imports. Aside from that they've been getting pretty much what the US has been and the US is still edging them out as far as release quantity goes even with the extra Commodore 64 releases.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Dragona Akehi said:

Maybe once in while but we're getting one week VC, one week WiiWare. Your getting both in the same day we have to wait 2 weeks for each update. Add to that fact that Aussies aren't getting the C64 games the US updates are better then NOE's and better more so then ours.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Guys, petitions and call-in campaigns don't work on Nintendo.

Trust me, I'm a Mother fan. I know first-hand how this works.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:
Well depends on how you look at theology. Is hell simply a case of not being in communication with god, or is it the active abuse of its victims?

Hell is a case of refusal to communicate with God and all the folks in that general arena abusing each other.

I was constantly going back pages to understand what all the madness was about, but after about 6 pages with no answer, I just looked up what games were out this week. Splatterhouse 2 is a good one, so yeah.

JSnake

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE. Here's japan's releases

Virtual Console:

* Twinbee (Famicom, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points)
* Gakkou de Atta Kowai Hanashi (Super Famicom, 1 player, 800 Wii Points)
* Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System, 1 player, 500 Wii Points)
* Eikan no Kimi Ni: Koukou Yakyuu Zenkoku Taikai (PC Engine, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points)
* Dragon Saber (PC Engine, 1-2 players, 600 Wii Points)

WiiWare:

* Tsuushin Taikyoku: Igo Dojo 2700-mon (1-2 players, 1,000 Wii Points)
* Silver Star Chess (1-2 players, 500 Wii Points)
* Wild West Guns (1-2 players, 1,000 Wii Points)

JSnake said:

Virtual Console:

* Eikan no Kimi Ni: Koukou Yakyuu Zenkoku Taikai (PC Engine, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points)

WiiWare:

Nintendo knows best.

JSnake said:

Virtual Console:

WiiWare:

Somebody better tell Japan that they're TOTALLY FUCKING THEMSELVES by releasing all those games at once. What will they do next week when they've EXHAUSTED THE WORLD'S SUPPLY OF CLASSIC GAMES?

Imagine you have a giant pizza pie in a glass cube and all you can do is look at it with the promise that one day you will get to eat it.

The Virtual Console is that delicious pizza in a cube. It's nice that you have this pizza, but it's in a fucking cube and you can't get to the pizza yet. All you can do is wait for the makers of the cube to open it up so you can start eating the pizza.

The pizza equals all those great classic games that aren't available. Where is Mega Man 1-6? Where is Yoshi's Island? Where is Super Mario RPG?

The best remedy for the insane hunger is to ignore the entire thing. What's a Virtual Console? Classic games, you say? This does not exist. I will not believe it.

Nintendo has ruined my life

Kobun Heat said:
Somebody better tell Japan that they're TOTALLY FUCKING THEMSELVES by releasing all those games at once. What will they do next week when they've EXHAUSTED THE WORLD'S SUPPLY OF CLASSIC GAMES?

:lol :lol :lol

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Kobun Heat said:

Well, to be fair, Japan is actually the place where Wii sells the "least", so to speak. Maybe Nintendo is trying to stimulate sales by releasing more games over there? It could explain why the release list for America is stupidly pathetic, and so-so in Europe (and apparently, it's getting worse).

Kilrogg said:
Well, to be fair, Japan is actually the place where Wii sells the "least", so to speak. Maybe Nintendo is trying to stimulate sales by releasing more games over there? It could explain why the release list for America is stupidly pathetic, and so-so in Europe (and apparently, it's getting worse).
Beats my pair of jacks, Kilrogg. I'm just glad I bought a Japanese Wii.

Nintendo's seedy plot is almost working- I'm so desperate I'm ready to buy Sonic the Hedgehog on the MS. Just so I can have something new on the menu. This is an abusive relationship. A one-way street.

JavyOO7

Saturday Night Slam Masters
Any of the Japan only Fire Pro's for the SNES
Super Tecmo Bowl
Take away all of the licensing shit out of the 4 Aki wrestling games

Chances any of the above releasing anytime soon? Zero. Meh.

No6

The Lamonster said:
Is Splatterhouse 1 & 2 any good? Are they solid beat-em-ups? Do they have a save feature?
Have you bought all of the following:

RSR
SOR2
CV4
Final Fight
Golden Axe
Comix Zone
Alien Storm
Burning Fight
Ninja Combat

Because those are better than Splatterhouse 2 (avoid 1). I'd even hesitate to call either Splatterhouse games beat-em-ups. Comix Zone and Castlevania 4 are the closest in gameplay and both are much better.

Capndrake

The Lamonster said:
Is Splatterhouse 1 & 2 any good? Are they solid beat-em-ups? Do they have a save feature?
The arcade version of the first game is pretty fun if just for the extreme gore factor (First game ever to be banned, I think), but the TG version is quite a massive downgrade. Still mildly amusing, but not that great. 2 is a bit better than the TG version of the first but still pales compared to the original arcade game. 3 is the game you should be waiting for.

Kobun Heat said:
Beats my pair of jacks, Kilrogg. I'm just glad I bought a Japanese Wii.
I love how you're still quoted in the VC wiki page:
Wired's Chris Kohler had protested the disparity between the American and Japanese libraries, both in quantity and quality.[51] The difference between the two libraries has since become minimal, and he has changed his stance.[52]
Yeah pretty sure that's not the case anymore.

Top Bottom