• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Yeah I downloaded Shining force II and played part of the first stage before going to work.

Never played it before. Is it better or worse then shining force 1? Already I like that items get transfered to other group members when inventory is full. That got annoying in the first game.

Koshiro

Capndrake said:
-Earthworm Jim (MD)
godot-damage.gif

Capndrake

Digital Champ: Battle Boxing and Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou for the US Monday.

Japan gets Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen (Nintendo World Cup) and Super Darius on Tuesday.

Netto-kun

Capndrake said:
Digital Champ: Battle Boxing and Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou for the US Monday.

Japan gets Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen (Nintendo World Cup) and Super Darius on Tuesday.
Holy molly, already!:D :D

Earthworm Jim's my favorite game ever. <3 The VC release has some slight problems though. Second level has weird yellow borders on the top and bottom (in addition to the standard PAL black borders.)

eh106g.jpg

And For Pete's Sake level has a thick black border on the left hand side of the screen for whatever reason.

Nothing too annoying, but still. :(

Dave Long

Banned
At least they went with the superior Genesis/MegaDrive version of EWJ...

Shining Force II is a big one. It costs a pretty penny to get the original Genesis cart complete.

Man God said:
EWJ and Shining Farce II. Well, I guess that's ok if you like Megadrive games.

Uh, what difference does it make what system the games are for?

Those are two of he best 16-bit games ever, on ANY system.

Awesome, awesome update for you Euro people

Man God said:
No obvious bias there, SMD. :lol

Also I was being sarcastic. I love any and all VC titles equally.

I wear my badge proudly.

I'm just waiting for the "SNES EWJ is better than Genesis EWJ!" crowd to show up.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
so, does anyone here know a game called tornado mania for cellphones?

i was wondering if it played similar to orbient. you have to rotate around houses to pick them up, and you can only move by spinning in circles or counter-clockwise circles. great game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SonicMegaDrive said:
I wear my badge proudly.

I'm just waiting for the "SNES EWJ is better than Genesis EWJ!" crowd to show up.

It isn't. It looks better in some places but sounds worse, pretty much the only multiplatform game of that era that sounds worse on the SNES.

Also isn't the best version the Sega CD one?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'm ecstatic to see Shining Force II on VC in Europe and it will be extremely disappointing if we don't get it here on Monday. Hopefully, Jiggy's birthday miracle will pull through.

Man God said:
It isn't. It looks better in some places but sounds worse, pretty much the only multiplatform game of that era that sounds worse on the SNES.

Also isn't the best version the Sega CD one?

Technically, the best version is Earthworm Jim for Windows 95 for the PC, because it has the added features of the Sega CD version (one new level, saving (password on Sega CD, level select to the farthest level you have reached on PC), CD soundtrack) plus 256-color graphics instead of 64-color graphics like you get on Sega CD, but yes, of the console versions, the Sega CD version is definitely best.

Hopefully it'll show up if the Sega CD ever gets added to Virtual Console...

Gradius II GOFER next week? Hooray!

Please please please, Konami of America and Nintendo of America, don't pass on the NES version for release in our neck of the woods.

Ugh. I'm sure this has been brought up ad nauseam in this thread before but W-T-Balls at losing all saved progress on SMB3 (and other NES games presumably?) if you power down the console without exiting properly.

Anger...rising...

Capndrake

SovanJedi said:
Holy guacamole, Earthworm Jim?!

EDIT: This version has stages that didn't make it into the SNES version, right?
Yes, it has one stage the SNES version doesn't have (Intestinal Distress).

Dave Long

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Technically, the best version is Earthworm Jim for Windows 95 for the PC, because it has the added features of the Sega CD version (one new level, saving (password on Sega CD, level select to the farthest level you have reached on PC), CD soundtrack) plus 256-color graphics instead of 64-color graphics like you get on Sega CD, but yes, of the console versions, the Sega CD version is definitely best.

What's the loading like on the Sega CD version? I'd be tempted to get that one off eBay...

Shining Force 2 is a good pick.
Basically it's SF1 but with better music, more interesting and balanced characters(except for Master Monks..good lord what a broken class), way better AI, and all of the usual things you'd expect from a sequel.

Hopefully it hits the US VC soon so I can sell my cart.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Infernal Monkey said:
Earthworm Jim's my favorite game ever. <3 The VC release has some slight problems though. Second level has weird yellow borders on the top and bottom (in addition to the standard PAL black borders

Pass :-/

What about SFII, poor PAL conversion as well? Though I could live with that for a SRPG like SF I'd like to know it beforehand so I will slight less disappointed.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
YES SHINING FORCE 2 YOU BETTER BE IN USA ON MONDAY OR I WILL BE VERY VERY UPSET!!!!

Rotanibor

A Black Falcon said:

For anyone intrested, I just noticed that Earthworm Jim 1+2, PC versions are going up on gog.com October 7th. They're tagged for $5.99 for both of them together.

Dave Long said:
What's the loading like on the Sega CD version? I'd be tempted to get that one off eBay...

Not bad at all. Obviously it has some, but they're not annoying, and they are just between levels and such. It's absolutely worth getting!

Rotanibor Eht said:
For anyone intrested, I just noticed that Earthworm Jim 1+2, PC versions are going up on gog.com October 7th. They're tagged for $5.99 for both of them together.

Unfortunately, that's a different product from the one I just described. There were several Earthworm Jim releases for the PC. They were all CD releases, not floppy disk.

Earthworm Jim (ActiVision, 1995, for Windows 95) -- Port of EWJ Special Edition (Sega CD), but with level-select saving and 256-color graphics as I described. Windows 95 or better only. This is the one I have.

Earthworm Jim 2 (Playmates, 1996, DOS, probably Europe only release)

Earthworm Jim 1 & 2: The Whole Can 'O Worms (Playmates, 1996, DOS) -- Almost certainly, this is the version that is going to be put up soon. I'm not sure exactly how good a port it is, or whether the version of EWJ1 included is a straight port of one of the cartridge versions or is more like Activision's Win95 release. The best review I've found of it is probably this, but it doesn't answer the key questions here... I don't even know if they have CD-quality soundtracks or not (in either game), much less EWJ1 SE/95's extra level or saving features. :(

In addition, later in 1996 (some time after the PC collection), Playstation and Saturn versions of Earthworm Jim 2 were released. They have no new levels, but going by the Saturn box vs. the Genesis/SNES ones, the Saturn box does mention '7 new weapons' where the others say '5', though this may mean nothing... the only additions are likely just higher-quality graphics (backgrounds especially) and a CD soundtrack. As I said, I don't know if the PC version of EWJ2 has either of these features. No versions of EWJ2 add new levels, like the SE/Win95 versions of EWJ1 do, though.

Earthworm Jim 3D (Interplay, 2000) -- 3d platformer that had been released the year before on the N64. Supposedly is mediocre and has a terrible camera, but I haven't played it.

CoolS said:
I hope somone does the whole Virtual Console Secret Santa thing again this year. That was great fun last year.:D

I suppose I could try it again. Last year, too many people left town w/o their systems.

Wilsongt said:
Shining Force II better appear tomorrow, goddamnit! D:

I predict Digital Champ and Gradius II, both on TG-16.

CoolS

Cheesemeister said:
I suppose I could try it again. Last year, too many people left town w/o their systems.
That's too bad because it worked great for me. And i was really happy getting presents :D

NeonZ

I've gotten Paper Mario... I was never a big fan of the game, but I got it because my younger brother kept insisting.

Anyway, it was better than I remember, but mostly due to the gameplay. Replaying it made its flaws really obvious to me again. The game system is good, and I probably can't even go back to Mario RPG after playing it, but the characters and locations are so bland.

Some of the partners have nice personalities, like Bow and "Spike", but their personalities become completely irrelevant as soon as they join the party(besides Bow getting an entire chapter devoted to her). I suppose one of the most obvious examples of the problem is the blue koopa not having a single interaction with Kolorado after their first meeting in the desert, even though he's supposed to be Kolorado's fan.

Some characters don't even get proper introductions, like Bombette and the fish, remaining completely one note through the entire game. In fact, the aforementioned Kolorado and also Luigi probably received more characterization than every actual member of the party. It's just ridiculous.

The drydry desert/outpost and the ice village are interesting locations, at least, initially, and offer some decent deviations from the normal progression of the game during the first visit, but every other place is completely bland - just backdrops for random battles, and there's no reason at all to return after finishing their parts in the storyline.

Paper Mario 2's scenarios and progression were handled significantly better in every way. Besides that one gray forest with those little things that needed to be saved, every location offered something interesting, and the main town itself had much more character than the bland Toad Town from Paper Mario.

Mar

Turned my Wii on for the first time in maybe... 6 months last night. I wanted to buy Last Ninja 2 and had a feeling I had some points lying around. Well it turned out I had exactly the amount of points required and bought the game right then and there.

lastninja2vc.jpg

Still a fantastic game after 20 years. I even somehow managed to survive on one credit all the way up to the last stage. Where I lost my last life when the helicopter flew in and flew off, dropping me to my death. I forgot all about having to press a button to let go at the right moment :lol

Tempted to add some more points and get IK+ and Boulder Dash. IK+ for instance is an amazing fighting game. A few months ago at a gaming night I had the 3 player version of IK+ running on my portable C64 (SX64), and it was played more than Mario Kart Wii or any other game running at the same time, including all offerings on the Xbox 360. And those games had the benefit of a huge screen instead of a crappy Commodore 1701 monitor.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
IK+ is an excellent game, extremely fun to play. A shame it didn't support three players simultanously, as the third player would always be the computer. Would be great with a mode like "be the first to earn a black belt" with three players. I got it on VC and it's well worth it. The Amiga version is better, but that's mainly because of the graphics and sounds, not gameplay.

They just don't make games like this anymore. Would be great with a next-gen version of IK+. I hope Archer decides it's time for an upgrade soon.

Top Bottom