• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
sfog said:
ESRB update:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Master System)

Oh boy, the Sonic game with the cheapest first boss ever.

Then again, I've only played the Game Gear version, so maybe the Master System one will be a bit more...playable.

Rlan

Iam Canadian said:
Oh boy, the Sonic game with the cheapest first boss ever.

Then again, I've only played the Game Gear version, so maybe the Master System one will be a bit more...playable.

In fact, it is!

The GG version has a small arena and the balls will change up their height per ball.

Master System has a large arena and the balls all bounce the exact same way.

OK, so I did the math on what it would take for my system to hold Space Invaders Get Even and all its expansion packs (682 blocks in the UK, bearing in mind Wii download sizes can vary a bit between NA and the UK). I almost bought it partly on impulse tonight since I still have 600 points sitting around. So, I deleted Bomberman Blast which is over 250 blocks. This now leaves me with 357 blocks. So, I'd then need to do one of the following to total at least 682 free blocks. Drumroll:

A) Delete Sin and Punishment and 2 SNES games.

B) Delete the Nintendo Channel, Mario 64 and 4 SNES games.

This is rediculous. Neither scenario is gonna happen. The game looks fun but I can wait until the SD update even if it is just an offline fridge swapping option.

Jiggy

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think Nintendo looks at VC/WW as more a whole than some of you do. Then it's not a matter of whether there's 1 or 2 VC games, but a consistency of 3-4 new downloads a week.
Oh, I'm sure they do--I just don't think they should. Nintendo itself claims to be "an 'and' company" capable of serving up some types of games without excluding others, which is one reason that I expect them to treat new releases and re-releases as separate entities.

Another reason is that Nintendo set out trying to draw in audiences which Sony and Microsoft aren't reaching. Two particularly notable things Wii offers that 360 and PS3 don't are motion control and retro gaming (at least, retro gaming in a lot more abundance than XBLA and PSN), and so--regardless of my feelings on either--I would expect Nintendo to capitalize on those unique qualities to the best of its abilities. With motion control, I would say they have poured a great deal of their resources into developing that technology.

But Virtual Console just looks like an afterthought, what with the slow release schedule, the non-existent advertising, and Nintendo's refusal to allow some games like Bionic Commando to be released, among other things. I do realize that Virtual Console sales are never going to make Nintendo rise to heaven--but they sure won't make them sink to hell, either, or at least not by the act of releasing two per week alongside the WiiWare releases.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Agent Unknown said:
OK, so I did the math on what it would take for my system to hold Space Invaders Get Even and all its expansion packs . . . This is rediculous. Neither scenario is gonna happen. The game looks fun but I can wait until the SD update even if it is just an offline fridge swapping option.

The problem I'm currently facing is that too many games have 50-100 block save files, and most of them can't be moved to SD anyway due to online save locks. I currently have Tetris, 1 OTHER WiiWare game installed (at a time), Wii Speak and the Nintendo Channel installed. I have just about 50-90 blocks free at any given point in time, and that decreases with the use of ANY new game, disk or WiiWare.

^^^^

Exactly. My save files for Brawl and Blast Works are 128 blocks each. That's 256 blocks of VC/WW spending that Nintendo is missing out on at my inconvenience. Brawl's data (let alone any game that has an online competitive component) cannot be moved to SD card. Of course neither can Mario Kart's 36 block file (there's another SNES or Genny game I could be buying). Because of all this I never even bothered to install the MK Channel.

Blast Work's data (for its hefty yet awesome custom level and ship creator files) can be moved to SD but not accessed from the card. A rep from Budcat/Majesco who posts on the BW Gamefaq board says they specifically asked Nintendo for permission to let them enable direcd SD access for the game's hefty level editor data but were denied with zero explanation. Nintendo, the company who continually doesn't give a damn about dev and consumer convenience.

Wii speak space issue let alone getting the speaker is moot to me for now since I refuse to buy City Folk as I still play with my Wild World town coupled with the fact that Nintendo deliberately gimped the game. That and most of my friends use Live for chatter, it'd be a lot more interesting if it had been ready for Kart and Brawl (the speaker surely could've been ready for both but was probably held back for the usual "family protection" reasons), and I hate in game chat with strangers anyways.

DDayton

Agent Unknown said:
Blast Work's data (for its hefty yet awesome custom level and ship creator files) can be moved to SD but not accessed from the card. A rep from Budcat/Majesco who posts on the BW Gamefaq board says they specifically asked Nintendo for permission to let them enable direcd SD access for the game's hefty level editor data but were denied with zero explanation.
What's weird about that is that Brawl allows that very thing.

^^^^

Well, I guess if they're really picky about who gets to use Miis in game it shouldn't be a surprise they'd be really restrictive (or in this case contradictory) on how 3rd parties use the SD port. Still annoying and heavy handed though.

DDayton

Agent Unknown said:
^^^^

Well, I guess if they're really picky about who gets to use Miis in game it shouldn't be a surprise they'd be really restrictive (or in this case contradictory) on how 3rd parties use the SD port. Still annoying and heavy handed though.

Eh. That or there is something that we aren't hearing... I mean, Excite Truck uses the SD, as does Endless Ocean... and, if I understand it correctly, both Rock Band 2 and GH:WT use it "live" as well.

I thought there was a 3rd party title with SD support -- can anyone remember?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
jaundicejuice said:
I'm just going to say Earthbound every week until it's released which may very well be never. So...

Earthbound.

I like the cut of your jib.

Still, I'm a bit more of a pessimist, so I don't expect to see it. I predict...Sonic 2 Master System and Phantasy Star IV. I'm feeling a SEGA week. :D

Capndrake

And NoA's VC neglect continues:
WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Dec. 8, 2008

Neither sleet nor snow nor ice-cold winter winds shall keep Wii™ Shop Channel users from enjoying the best new and classic games. In fact, this week's offerings include a hot new strategy-based puzzle game that promises to keep everyone in the household enthused, no matter how frightful the weather outside may be. Harrowing puzzles, hockey pucks and a world-famous hedgehog are all featured in the latest downloadable lineup, providing red-hot gaming thrills to counter the imminent December chills.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Bruiser and Scratch (Steel Penny Games, Inc., 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Bruiser and Scratch are stranded in a strange world with a dark secret. Their only hope in finding a path home is to unravel the mystery of this place, one oversized puzzle at a time. Along the way, they make new friends and meet up with old adversaries, each of whom plays a role in their journey. Bruiser and Scratch offers a number of tutorial levels to bring the player up to speed gradually. The story unfolds over 48 puzzles and six landscapes. And for players who can't get enough, Challenge mode offers 75 additional puzzles that range from child's play to mind-bogglingly difficult.

Hockey Allstar Shootout (Big Blue Bubble Inc., 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Use the Wii Remote™ controller as a stick and take the shot as you compete in three exciting Hockey Skills Challenges. In Head 2 Head, it's just you versus the best goalies in the world in a five-puck shootout. Race against the clock to post the most goals in the fastest time. The three difficulty levels will place you against three increasingly talented goalies, each donning the jersey of their home country. In two-player mode, each player will take a turn as shooter and as goalie, and the player who scores the most goals in five shots is the winner. In Sharp Shooter, you post a high score in one of three difficulty levels by breaking as many targets as you can. Each time a shot fails to break a target, an X will appear in the upper left corner. Three misses and the game is over. Power Shot has you take your best shot and watch the Shot-Speed Clock light up. You have three attempts to blast the fastest shot you can, and only the best speeds will grace the high score list.

Virtual Console™

Sonic The Hedgehog™ 2 (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Play the popular Sonic The Hedgehog sequel, made specifically for the SEGA MASTER SYSTEM. Sonic returns home to his island just in time to see Dr. Eggman (a.k.a. Dr. Robotnik) run off with Tails. In fact, Dr. Eggman has kidnapped all of Sonic's animal friends and placed them in robotic mind-controlling suits. He demands the six Chaos Emeralds, hidden on the island, in exchange for their safe return. Explore underground mine shafts, dash through underwater tunnels and hang glide through the clouds in Sonic's search for the Chaos Emeralds. Once Sonic's found them all, he must face off with the evil Dr. Eggman and thwart his plan for global domination.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Dascu

Segata Sanshiro said:
Jesus Christ. It's like a bad joke that never ends.
4q743eq.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Honestly, Nintendo.

You had a nice month of November. What happened?

Capndrake said:
I've played a press demo on the PC, and to be honest, it might be the worst WiiWare game yet.
Yeah, those screenshots look bad. What exactly are you trying to do in those levels? And thanks for the warning.

Capndrake

crowphoenix said:
Yeah, those screenshots look bad. What exactly are you trying to do in those levels? And thanks for the warning.
You just have to push together various objects of the same kind to make them disappear.

Rlan

Hey now, Sonic 2 Master System is a great game :)

God, can we speak to SOMEONE at Nintendo who has the guts to put images on their fileservers which AREN'T 160x120? Don't they realise that as a PRESS site they need to inform? I can't see shit in those Hockey All Star images. Nobody can. they have to physically make them smaller for gods sakes. That's more work than just sending them in!

For fucks sake.

DavidDayton said:
What's weird about that is that Brawl allows that very thing.

Well, every time a developer has been asked about Motion Plus, most of the time they shrug and say, "Nintendo hasn't let us see a single detail about it we can use," or words to that effect. Even now, months after the public reveal.

They've been really terrible this generation about keeping all the interesting gimmicks to themselves, while refusing 3rd parties. They did it on the DS too, they refused to tell how or let 3rd parties use the online function until they finally designed their WFC system. And how about the fact that Wiis all have built-in wireless, wouldn't it be great if you could LAN them for shooters and such? It's pretty likely Activision or someone else has already thought of that...

That's not to mention Nintendo making EA pull the head-tracking (based on that fellow's famous demo) from Boom Blox.

Okay, seriously, anyone know anything about the hockey game? I'm a huge hockey fan and would be willing to bite if this thing is even remotely good.

jaundicejuice said:
I'm just going to say Earthbound every week until it's released which may very well be never. So...

Earthbound.

You do realize, of course, that you're going to die someday. The Wii, likely much sooner.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hello people!

As I said in the Wii Secret Santa 2008 thread for those who have visited it, if I couldn't find anybody to pair up to in my location (United Kingdom) I would offer to buy some games for people in this thread instead.

As such, the first two UK GAFfers to message or PM me with their Wii Friend Code will receive a pro gratis copy of Mega Man 9 or any other WiiWare/Virtual Console title of their choice up to the same value of 1000 points. If I have any extra points left over I will be able to splash out on a (cheap) third item too, but it is not guaranteed.

My Friend Code is 4461 7690 7538 4244, and I will add those that are picked as soon as I can.

Shiggy

Kulock said:
Well, every time a developer has been asked about Motion Plus, most of the time they shrug and say, "Nintendo hasn't let us see a single detail about it we can use," or words to that effect. Even now, months after the public reveal.

They've been really terrible this generation about keeping all the interesting gimmicks to themselves, while refusing 3rd parties. They did it on the DS too, they refused to tell how or let 3rd parties use the online function until they finally designed their WFC system. And how about the fact that Wiis all have built-in wireless, wouldn't it be great if you could LAN them for shooters and such? It's pretty likely Activision or someone else has already thought of that...

That's not to mention Nintendo making EA pull the head-tracking (based on that fellow's famous demo) from Boom Blox.

For some reason Nintendo hates LAN, they didn't want it in BWii II, although it had already been programmed etc.

later

Hai everyone, previously I had changed my wii shop settings to the US country code. Now, I updated the wii and forgot this. After connecting to the shop channel I got into the US one fine, but ofcourse I wanted back in the EU one. I changed it once again via homebrew, loaded wii shop again, and got an error code. (I forgot the nr)

I looked this up, and apparently nintendo now seems to record the last country code you used to enter the wii shop channel, and does not allow you to change that any more or you'll get that code.

If I change back to the us shop, i can get back in. That wouldn't be so bad if I could use my euro cc, but I cannot... And neither can I access any EU games I bought.

So, these guys are blocking me, a legitimate person who was only interested in world of goo USA release when it was announced that it was not going to come to europe (which has now changed..).. Do they have the right to do this? To block me from accessing my legitimately bought games (from EU shop)? I had to make room for new games and ofcourse had to delete some games, which I now no longer have access to.

Obviously, I don't think it was their intent to lock me to a US shop account, but the fuckers didn't seem to find a better solution.. Could they not look at the highest nr of wii shop purchases in x region and lock me there? Nooooo......

In short, they fucked me over good.

later

Cheesemeister said:
That was the intent. You were the target.

Why? Is importing games illegal? (This is what that is, conceptually) Is homebrew illegal?

I've bought a ton of games for wiiware/vc.. I would think that the target would be the modders, not people like me.

later said:
Why? Is importing games illegal? (This is what that is, conceptually) Is homebrew illegal?

I've bought a ton of games for wiiware/vc.. I would think that the target would be the modders, not people like me.
It's not illegal, but Nintendo hates it. So they do everything they can to shut it down.

Shiggy said:
For some reason Nintendo hates LAN, they didn't want it in BWii II, although it had already been programmed etc.

They supposedly tugged it out of some in-progress Gamecube games too, after Warp Pipe picked up in popularity. Of course, the whole reason Warp Pipe started up was because people wanted games like Mario Kart: Double Dash online, and Nintendo wouldn't do it...

later

crowphoenix said:
It's not illegal, but Nintendo hates it. So they do everything they can to shut it down.

So, if it's not illegal, they do not have any right keeping me away from the games I purchased.

MisterHero

later said:
Hai everyone, previously I had changed my wii shop settings to the US country code. Now, I updated the wii and forgot this. After connecting to the shop channel I got into the US one fine, but ofcourse I wanted back in the EU one. I changed it once again via homebrew, loaded wii shop again, and got an error code. (I forgot the nr)

I looked this up, and apparently nintendo now seems to record the last country code you used to enter the wii shop channel, and does not allow you to change that any more or you'll get that code.

If I change back to the us shop, i can get back in. That wouldn't be so bad if I could use my euro cc, but I cannot... And neither can I access any EU games I bought.

So, these guys are blocking me, a legitimate person who was only interested in world of goo USA release when it was announced that it was not going to come to europe (which has now changed..).. Do they have the right to do this? To block me from accessing my legitimately bought games (from EU shop)? I had to make room for new games and ofcourse had to delete some games, which I now no longer have access to.

Obviously, I don't think it was their intent to lock me to a US shop account, but the fuckers didn't seem to find a better solution.. Could they not look at the highest nr of wii shop purchases in x region and lock me there? Nooooo......

In short, they fucked me over good.
I assume by using the homebrew you are violating something in their massive Terms of Service agreement.

They probably can't block you but they don't have to help you either.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
later said:
So, if it's not illegal, they do not have any right keeping me away from the games I purchased.

erm, that's not true.

it's not illegal to wear a shirt that says "fuck school" but your junior high teacher can suspend you for it.

it's silly that nintendo would ban a potential customer, but it's well within their rights.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Nintendo of Europe are probably not interested in how you got your purchase from Nintendo of America, all they see is a game that you didn't buy from them through the conventional means. It's obtuse and really frustrating but we know how they can be about imports.

If it's really bothering you you could try sending them an e-mail and asking for a refund on the Wii Points you spent on it - see if that works? Doubt it would, but there's no harm in trying.

Dave Long

Banned
I don't think it's at all surprising that they're not pushing this hard right now. No one's watching but the people reading threads like this one. Too much going on in their lives to care right now with Christmas right around the corner.

Top Bottom