• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

E-phonk said:
Just been playing zelda II for a few hours. Damn I like this game so much. Screw the haters. It's also quite hard, especially in the part where I'm now (trying to get the hammer).

Cool. How many palaces have you cleared so far? I go for the hammer after the first palace. Those orange axe wielding alligators (the 70 XP ones) have a certain rhythm you have to pace yourself to in order to start slashing away at them.

Somnid

Dr. Jade said:
im actually really excited about DKC this week ... Nintendo is finally starting to bring out the big guns ... :) ... at this rate I feel comfortable holding out for Star Fox 64 or maybe Mario RPG next week

Not going to happen.

Also, I hear Military Madness got some sort of update, I don't have the game but for anyone else that does you might want to check into that and see if it's real.

jarrod

Banned
Fingers and toes crossed for Dragon's Curse, Beyond Oasis, Bonk's Revenge and/or Streets of Rage. :D

Edit: how do you "update" MM? Is it automatic, do you need to do a firmware update or do you need to redownload the game?

Somnid

jarrod said:
Fingers and toes crossed for Dragon's Curse, Beyond Oasis, Bonk's Revenge and/or Streets of Rage. :D

Edit: how do you "update" MM? Is it automatic, do you need to do a firmware update or do you need to redownload the game?

I guess you go to the shop and there should be a button that says "update." (that's what the shop channel FAQ says anyway) Like I said I don't have MM so I don't actually know.

Unison

Somnid said:
I guess you go to the shop and there should be a button that says "update." (that's what the shop channel FAQ says anyway) Like I said I don't have MM so I don't actually know.

Yeah, that's the procedure... You end up downloading the whole game again. I did it, but I can't tell what's changed. My save state was undisturbed.

jjasper

E-phonk said:
Just been playing zelda II for a few hours. Damn I like this game so much. Screw the haters. It's also quite hard, especially in the part where I'm now (trying to get the hammer).

I like Zelda 2 a lot too. I had never finished it till I got it on the collector's disk a few years ago

Jammy

Banned
Unison said:
Yeah, that's the procedure... You end up downloading the whole game again. I did it, but I can't tell what's changed. My save state was undisturbed.

Somebody on GameFAQs said the Update got rid of the sound glitches/skipping that occured in the later, bigger levels when you scroll through the battlefield. I updated this morning because apparently my roommate had stopped playing the game for that reason.

Jammy said:
Somebody on GameFAQs said the Update got rid of the sound glitches/skipping that occured in the later, bigger levels when you scroll through the battlefield. I updated this morning because apparently my roommate had stopped playing the game for that reason.

Oh THANK GOD. That was so ****ing irritating. Testing right now! Will return!

Excellent - so is this the first instance of a VC title being updated? Good to know that at least one publisher is willing to use it to fix problems, and I'd hope we may actually see it correcting issues like Memory Pak support further down the line...

Cosmonaut X said:
Excellent - so is this the first instance of a VC title being updated? Good to know that at least one publisher is willing to use it to fix problems, and I'd hope we may actually see it correcting issues like Memory Pak support further down the line...

Something something Metal Slug VC Controller support something something.

Jammy

Banned
We just checked Map 4 (Ramsey) and there were no scrolling issues there.

Maybe Nintendo can fix that multi-player glitch in Mario Kart 64 that makes the game go really fast in Moo Moo Farm.

Polari

Quick question: what four player games are there on VC, aside from Mario Kart 64 and those on TG-16?

Also, what's happening with C64 games?

So anyway, I was playing Sonic Mega Collection on my Wii today...

I sure do wish there was a way to implement compatibility with the Wiimote/Classic Controller on certain older GC titles like Mega Man Anniversary Collection or Mega Man X Collection.

It really sucks having to play classic 2D games with that D-pad.

I played SMC+ at a Best Buy back when it came out, the controller response time was about a second later after I pressed buttons for the game to react to what I do.

So I say "Inferior" to you.

Is it normal that Gunstar Heroes has interlacing in 480P, if that's the correct term? Some sprites, be it characters or parts of the environment split up (horizontally) whenever there's some action going on. The sprites of some gun types (the one with the flame, or with the big orange orbs) aren't all that visible either at times because of this.

I have component cables and it's the European version I bought. Haven't seen anything like this in the trailer on GT and I haven't switched the Wii to 576i to see if it helps. Any tips?

Banned
I really, really wish they'd make Firepower on the Amiga 500 for the VC. That game in 2 player was insane fun!!! And leaving bloodprints from my tank was excellent fun!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Spotted today in the Wii Shop Channel server, for N.America:

- Kirby's Adventure
- Excitebike
- Kid Icarus
- Ice Climber

Donkey Kong Country's ROM is in the server, but they haven't put the screenshots up for that game. Maybe this means they won't release it just yet.

Seems like an all-NES VC week for North America.

Lapsed

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:

- Kirby's Adventure

I'm going to skip that one. WAY too easy. I'll be done fast and forget about it.

- Excitebike

It is included in Excitebike 64, correct? Then I will wait for that. Skip!

- Kid Icarus

Good classic! I'll get this. Maybe if everyone buys VC Kid Icarus, Nintendo will make a sequel. :p

- Ice Climber

Going to skip. Just because the characters appeared in Smash Brothers doesn't make this game a classic. Over-rated.

I want more NES games, but I'm puzzled as to why four first-party NES games? There are TONS of third party NES games, and all we've seen so far is Xevious, Solomon's Key, and Gradius.

Maybe Capcom will cough up a Megaman, and Taito will stop remaking Bubble Bobble into a horrible mess and just put up the original.

maxmars

Lapsed said:
Maybe Capcom will cough up a Megaman, and Taito will stop remaking Bubble Bobble into a horrible mess and just put up the original.

Here's hoping Taito follows your advice, however I have a feeling they will be going the full-game € 59 route for bust-a-move and bubble bobble, adding their retarded "enhanced graphics".

Yesterday evening my wife asked me why there isn't b-a-m on the Wii yet. The wait is clearly unbearable.

E-phonk

Banned
cartman414 said:
Cool. How many palaces have you cleared so far? I go for the hammer after the first palace. Those orange axe wielding alligators (the 70 XP ones) have a certain rhythm you have to pace yourself to in order to start slashing away at them.
Same thing. One palace, and then I went for the hammer.

It has been many years since I played it (1989?) but I still kind of remembered what ways to take in the maze-mountain part. Anyway - I have the hammer now, on to palace II !

Myke Greywolf said:

- Kirby's Adventure
- Excitebike
- Kid Icarus
- Ice Climber

Donkey Kong Country's ROM is in the server, but they haven't put the screenshots up for that game. Maybe this means they won't release it just yet.

Seems like an all-NES VC week for North America.
That is a pretty sweet line-up! I migh have to check out Excite Bike.

Glass Joe

from press.nintendo.com:

WII-KLY UPDATE: THREE NEW CLASSIC GAMES ANNOUNCED FOR WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 12, 2007

Today Nintendo adds three new classic games to the popular Wii™ video game system's Wii Shop Channel. The games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Kirby's Adventure™ (NES®, 1 player, 500 Wii Points): Not everything is well in Dream Land. For some mysterious reason, the Dream Spring, a magical well that is the reservoir for all the dreams of the citizens of Dream Land, is no longer working. Everyone is being subjected to their worst nightmares every time they go to sleep. Upon reaching the Dream Spring, Kirby finds out that evil King Dedede has stolen the Star Rod, thus depriving Dream Land of the magical energy that feeds its spring. Using 20 unique tricks and the ability to steal enemies' powers by swallowing them, players have to make their way through a horrific land filled with all kinds of nightmares. Recover the broken pieces of the Star Rod and everyone in Dream Land will sleep peacefully once again. Fail and the citizens of Dream Land will be subjected to a lifetime of terrible nightmares.

Ice Climber™ (NES, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points): As Popo, players use a trusty mallet to work their way up the mountain. They chip away at the blocks overhead, then jump up through the resulting hole to the mountain's next level. Once Popo reaches the top level, he enters a fast-moving bonus stage in which he can pick up veggies and, hopefully, reach the summit for a big point payoff. Of course, not everyone's supportive of Popo's pastime. Toppies fill Popo's holes, so players must jump through the gaps quickly. It's easy to slip off some of the icy levels, as Polar Bears, Toppies and other ferocious fauna don't want players up there. There are 32 challenging peaks to scale – players can face them alone or with a friend.

Kid Icarus™ (NES, 1 player, 500 Wii Points): In a time when men and gods lived in harmony, the kingdom of Angel Land was ruled by two goddesses: Palutena, the Goddess of Light, and Medusa, the Goddess of Darkness. Unlike Palutena, Medusa despised all humans and enjoyed destroying their crops and turning them into stone. One day, Palutena decided to punish the evil Medusa and banished her after turning her into a hideous monster. But Medusa would not go without a fight. She created an army of monsters and evil spirits and captured Palutena. Players play as Pit, a young angel trapped in the Underworld, and Palutena's only hope. They use a magical bow to retrieve the Sacred Treasures, defeat Medusa and restore peace to Angel Land.

Jammy

Banned
Wow... Nintendo's really made the Virtual Console attractive in the past several weeks. Have the third parties run out of announced games?

Glass Joe

Jammy said:
Wow... Nintendo's really made the Virtual Console attractive in the past several weeks. Have the third parties run out of announced games?

No doubt about the lack of 3rd parties, but they haven't really stepped to the plate yet, period. If you count Sega and Hudson as 1st parties, I can't really think of much other than a few games by Konami, Irem, and SF2 from Capcom.

Glass Joe said:
from press.nintendo.com:

WII-KLY UPDATE: THREE NEW CLASSIC GAMES ANNOUNCED FOR WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 12, 2007

Today Nintendo adds three new classic games to the popular Wii™ video game system's Wii Shop Channel. The games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Kirby's Adventure™ (NES®, 1 player, 500 Wii Points): Not everything is well in Dream Land. For some mysterious reason, the Dream Spring, a magical well that is the reservoir for all the dreams of the citizens of Dream Land, is no longer working. Everyone is being subjected to their worst nightmares every time they go to sleep. Upon reaching the Dream Spring, Kirby finds out that evil King Dedede has stolen the Star Rod, thus depriving Dream Land of the magical energy that feeds its spring. Using 20 unique tricks and the ability to steal enemies' powers by swallowing them, players have to make their way through a horrific land filled with all kinds of nightmares. Recover the broken pieces of the Star Rod and everyone in Dream Land will sleep peacefully once again. Fail and the citizens of Dream Land will be subjected to a lifetime of terrible nightmares.

Ice Climber™ (NES, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points): As Popo, players use a trusty mallet to work their way up the mountain. They chip away at the blocks overhead, then jump up through the resulting hole to the mountain's next level. Once Popo reaches the top level, he enters a fast-moving bonus stage in which he can pick up veggies and, hopefully, reach the summit for a big point payoff. Of course, not everyone's supportive of Popo's pastime. Toppies fill Popo's holes, so players must jump through the gaps quickly. It's easy to slip off some of the icy levels, as Polar Bears, Toppies and other ferocious fauna don't want players up there. There are 32 challenging peaks to scale – players can face them alone or with a friend.

Kid Icarus™ (NES, 1 player, 500 Wii Points): In a time when men and gods lived in harmony, the kingdom of Angel Land was ruled by two goddesses: Palutena, the Goddess of Light, and Medusa, the Goddess of Darkness. Unlike Palutena, Medusa despised all humans and enjoyed destroying their crops and turning them into stone. One day, Palutena decided to punish the evil Medusa and banished her after turning her into a hideous monster. But Medusa would not go without a fight. She created an army of monsters and evil spirits and captured Palutena. Players play as Pit, a young angel trapped in the Underworld, and Palutena's only hope. They use a magical bow to retrieve the Sacred Treasures, defeat Medusa and restore peace to Angel Land.
I guess no Excite Bike. Oh well, maybe next week.

Bog

Junior Ace
Kid Icarus was one I skipped back in the day. Does it hold up well? I'm sorta itching to check it out.

Dr. Jade

WTF nintendo!!!? Stop messing with me and give out the goods!

Bog said:
Kid Icarus was one I skipped back in the day. Does it hold up well? I'm sorta itching to check it out.

It's essentially a platformer. The game plays like this: You have to 'climb' to the top of each stage. The game's levels are divided into several stages, kind of like Super Mario Bros.(1-2, 1-2, 1-3, etc..). The Last stage on each level is more of a labyrinth. Meaning, you have to 'find' your way to the end...sorta like Zelda, I guess. But the gameplay feels mostly like 'Metroid', I think.

If I could really sum the game up...it's like somebody took the original Super Mario Bros., Metroid, and Legend of Zelda and threw it in a blender, and added a dash of greek mythology.

Does it hold up?

Well....how would you feel if you played any of the NES classics from around 1986 or 1987 for the very first time today? Would you enjoy them? If so, then you would like Kid Icarus. If not...then well...probably not.

Edit: BTW. THANK GOD for more NES games.

God damn, these Genesis and SNES games are killing my wallet. It's nice to have some cheap, good 5-dollar games every once in a while. Now if only we could get some more 3rd party NES games...

Rlan

I'll probably grab Icarus for the same reason, Bog. Never played it.

If I didn't already play through Kirby lots of times, I'd get that too. Anyone who hasn't played it, get it now.

Incidentily, does Zelda II have big PAL borders, or is it optimized correctly?

E-phonk

Banned
Rlan said:
Incidentily, does Zelda II have big PAL borders, or is it optimized correctly?

I play the game "stretched" in 16/9, since it doesn't bother me as much as with other games (mario looked terrible in 16/9, zelda II looks ok to me). It has EXACTLY the same soundslowdowns and characters flickering like i remember them from almost twenty years ago.

MicVlaD said:
Is it normal that Gunstar Heroes has interlacing in 480P, if that's the correct term? Some sprites, be it characters or parts of the environment split up (horizontally) whenever there's some action going on. The sprites of some gun types (the one with the flame, or with the big orange orbs) aren't all that visible either at times because of this.

I have component cables and it's the European version I bought. Haven't seen anything like this in the trailer on GT and I haven't switched the Wii to 576i to see if it helps. Any tips?
Anyone?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Kirby's Adventure had so much repeat value when I was a kid. I would go through all the levels in the game after I beat it while using the same power and I would pretend that I was a knight that had this awesome sword or I would pretend I was the Human Torch and such. Now that was awesome. Wasn't there a thread talking about making your own game within a game a while back?

tim1138

SonicMegaDrive said:
It's essentially a platformer. The game plays like this: You have to 'climb' to the top of each stage. The game's levels are divided into several stages, kind of like Super Mario Bros.(1-2, 1-2, 1-3, etc..). The Last stage on each level is more of a labyrinth. Meaning, you have to 'find' your way to the end...sorta like Zelda, I guess. But the gameplay feels mostly like 'Metroid', I think.

If I could really sum the game up...it's like somebody took the original Super Mario Bros., Metroid, and Legend of Zelda and threw it in a blender, and added a dash of greek mythology.

Does it hold up?

Well....how would you feel if you played any of the NES classics from around 1986 or 1987 for the very first time today? Would you enjoy them? If so, then you would like Kid Icarus. If not...then well...probably not.

Just to add more info about Kid Icarus, the game is also divided into 4 worlds, with each world having 4 levels. Worlds 1 and 3 are vertical, climb to the top levels, and worlds 2 and 4 are horizontal side scrolling levels. I'm glad to see Nintendo putting this up fairly early in the Wii's life, hopefully people will check it out. Kid Icarus is one of my favorite NES games. :)

fresquito

Kirby's Adventure if one of the best NES games ever. I won't download it because I played to death back in the day, but I have fond memories of its sheer awesomeness. It was a bit on the easy side, but it was pure fun. Navigating the scenarios in a UFO was neat :D

Top Bottom