• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

So... I've already spent over $100 on VC, and every Monday as of late they have been giving me one or two more games to buy. It's just sickening, and it shows no signs of abating with games like TMNT, Castlevania, and Zombies ate my Neighbors likely coming soon.

Konami seems to be getting on board fully now... it would be great if we saw a port of Symphony of the Night as well (I won't play it on 360 due to the d-pad).

NA:
bhb.gif

CASTLEVANIA?? GRADIUS III?

ZOMBIES ATE MY NEIGHBORS??

and...licenced content on the VC????

TMNT??

*orgasm*

Oh, baby, best VC-related news ever.

Now the possibilities become endless.

Cyan said:
Well, I'm certainly glad to get the real version of LttP! Did the GBA Mario World keep track of dragon coins then? That would be kind of cool, although I'm betting they also added shitty voices just like LttP.

I bet you're right. When I played GBA Mario World I swore I noticed Mario was quite a bit more chatty.
Yoshi's Island GBA is just awful in that regard, hearing Yoshi's jumping yell from Smash Bros all the damn time. :(

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Anyone hacked VC for the EU releases this week yet?

Do we finally get Zelda: alltp now since I have no time to play it because of FF12. :/

With the new ratings listings for Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Gradius III, and TMNT, Konami must be really pleased with the results their VC offerings have had so far. They really deserve any success they've had, they've done the best job of any third party thus far (besides Hudson & Sega of course).

By the way, was Nintendo's website correct about the Japanese VC releases for Tuesday (Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV, and Yokai Dochu Ki)? Wikipedia's list has been updated with those games, but I haven't seen anyone confirm in this thread.

FFantasyFX said:
With the new ratings listings for Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Gradius III, and TMNT, Konami must be really pleased with the results their VC offerings have had so far. They really deserve any success they've had, they've done the best job of any third party thus far (besides Hudson & Sega of course).

I agree. I'm very pleased that Konami is supporting it so heavily. Could use more original Contra, though!

And Capcom! Why do we only have one game so far, and one on the horizon? C'mon guys, gimmie some Mega Man!

Still no word on the Euro releases tomorrow? I have a good feeling we'll get LttP, a nice surprise with Super Ghouls n' Ghosts would be awesome as well.

Dimmuxx said:
Anyone hacked VC for the EU releases this week yet?

Do we finally get Zelda: alltp now since I have no time to play it because of FF12. :/
Chibbi Brady said:
Still no word on the Euro releases tomorrow? I have a good feeling we'll get LttP, a nice surprise with Super Ghouls n' Ghosts would be awesome as well.

FFFD0002.gif

Mar

I'd love Zombies Ate My Neighbours. Might purchase that one.

I'm a big GnG fan, but I couldn't bring myself to get Super GnG on VC. I've already bought it 3 times in the last year or so (GBA, PS2, PSP).

Jiggy

John Master Lee said:
Finally, one of my favorite classic Turbo games is coming to VC in the US!

http://www.hudsonent.com/gamedetail.php?game_id=64&console=1

If all goes well, it should be live next week. It's probably one of the more obscure games in the Hudson library, but I always loved the gameplay. Very arcadey in feel, but much deeper than you imagine.

cmf-vc-screen3.jpg
I have no clue what Chew Man Fu plays like, but just from looking at it seems to be right up my alley. And a playable female character plus level creation in 1990? Way ahead of its time. I'll probably pick it up just on principle.

Somnid

I'd say that since Japan should get OOT next week Europe will get it tomorrow. Nintendo seems to be global launching N64 games.

Dave Long

Banned
I was looking at the prices for the carts for a lot of these games and comparing to the price you pay on Virtual Console and without a doubt most of the games available cost less on Virtual Console than they do on eBay.

Sure, you could spend your Saturdays and Sundays driving around town to yard sales hoping for the best, but that seems silly when you can just pay one reasonable price per game you want to play.

I've always been a major proponent of buying the original carts and emulation was usually offensive to me, but given the fact that the emulation is near perfect for almost every game on Virtual Console (and the one that really bugged me got fixed!), I'm quickly looking at this as my primary delivery method for all the cart games I either never played or just want to play again.

Looking back on the people moaning about $5-$10 for these titles, I think they're absolutely crazy and they didn't take a practical look at the real cost involved in buying and owning these games any other way. Not only that, but the savings in physical space in my house is welcome... I'm just completely out of space to store games!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Luigison said:
I'm quickly running out of space on my Wii menu and memory.
No worries: you can redownload games you've already paid for for free anytime after you buy them. (or you could just get an SD card and store them on there.)

Lapsed said:
Those bellyaching that the first (NES) TMNT is coming and not one of the arcade ports need to stop and think. TMNT games did not look likely to be released at all due to the licensing. When a company starts putting out these games, they are going to start with the first ones (such as the first Castlevania before it puts out Castlevania II or III).

Releasing games in order hasn't been the case so far on the VC when it comes to series spread across different systems, so there's no reason the SNES TMNT: Turtles in Time couldn't be released first. Just look at and Super Castlevania IV and Contra III: The Alien Wars. Konami had no problem releasing those first (dammit Konami, I want my NES Contra and Super C!).

Lapsed said:
If TMNT can come out, then awesome games like Ducktales are a possibility.

I doubt that. Doesn't Komani still hold the license for the new cartoon series, while Ubi holds the movie license? That would also probably explain why they changed the voices in the recent console ports of the arcade games, they may have had to make them tie into the new cartoon as part of the license. Since the original NES game doesn't have any voices they wouldn't have to make any changes.

Nintendo seriously needs to start getting some arcade games on the VC. I'd love to have the arcade versions of TMNT 1-2, even though the SNES version of Turtles in Time is better.

fresquito

Dave Long said:
I was looking at the prices for the carts for a lot of these games and comparing to the price you pay on Virtual Console and without a doubt most of the games available cost less on Virtual Console than they do on eBay.

Sure, you could spend your Saturdays and Sundays driving around town to yard sales hoping for the best, but that seems silly when you can just pay one reasonable price per game you want to play.

I've always been a major proponent of buying the original carts and emulation was usually offensive to me, but given the fact that the emulation is near perfect for almost every game on Virtual Console (and the one that really bugged me got fixed!), I'm quickly looking at this as my primary delivery method for all the cart games I either never played or just want to play again.

Looking back on the people moaning about $5-$10 for these titles, I think they're absolutely crazy and they didn't take a practical look at the real cost involved in buying and owning these games any other way. Not only that, but the savings in physical space in my house is welcome... I'm just completely out of space to store games!
Well, to be fair that's a double edged sword. In one hand you are patying 5 to 10€ for games that don't have a proper translation (here in Europe at least), and in many cases, they aren't really worth the money. Charging 5 euros for a game like DK or Tennis is insane.

On the other hand, if you're just buying the good games and playing them, most purchases will probablybe some of the best bucks you've spent in gaming. I've downloaded three games, and I'm loving each one of them for different reasons. Gunstar Heroes is a game that lives to its legend. At first I was a bit disappointed after all the hype, but once I delved my teeth under its skin, I found a very deep game. Gameplay-wise is the most varied action-shooter I've ever played. You can play as you like, and choosing a weapon over another will change the experience in a 180 degrees way.

Then Military Madness is kicking my ass. I play it from time to time, when I'm in the mood. A battle can last 50 minutes, and they can get pretty tense at times. The game has some shortcomings, and can't really compete with the finesse of Advance Wars, but nonetheless, is a hidden jewel for turn-based strategy fans.

Then the big star so far is Super Mario World, which is rocking my life. This is the only game I've previously played, and I know it pretty well, but it's been a lot of years since I last played it, and although I vividly remember most stages, revisiting them is always a nice experience. Years have done nothing but make it more clear that it's the best 2D platformer ever. I just cleared the
Star World and got to the Special Stages (although I'm yet to reach the third castle, I've had my share of battles against Bowser already :lol )

Branduil

You know, a Kid Icarus game for the DS would actually work really well. Obviously, the vertical level design is a perfect fit, and it'd be nice to have a map on 1 screen in the dungeons.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
WOW. I'm drozzling with Solomon's Key. The game is amazing and hard as hell. How many stages the game has? :lol

I love the VC. Now let's hope for import games and then let me sell all the carts I got at home. I have not space!

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is a question for the Aussies: since the Everybody Votes channel update, when Nintendo stopped allowing you to swap between UK and Australia for your country without losing Wii points, has anyone tried purchasing more points while registered as a UK user? Does the shop let you?

I have 1200 points left to spend and am logged in as a UK user. As I understand it I can still spend those points as long as I stay registered as a UK user, but I will lose them if I change to Australia. Yet I can't buy more points if I stay logged in as UK (I need someone to confirm this).

So, since no-one is answering my first post, can anyone tell me whether I should just spend what will probably be the last 1200 points I ever get to spend on PC Engine Games on Soldier Blade and Bomberman 93 or are there better PC Engine choices coming up in the next few weeks?

I already have Star Blade, Dungeon Explorer and Bonk.

Oh, and SCREW YOU Nintendo for not allowing Australians to buy PC Engine games.

LakeEarth

The title of this thread has been supified. I didn't even notice, but in 3-4 months this thread is already beating the Live Arcade thread by 1200 posts. Damn.

Mar

byproduct said:
So, since no-one is answering my first post, can anyone tell me whether I should just spend what will probably be the last 1200 points I ever get to spend on PC Engine Games on Soldier Blade and Bomberman 93 or are there better PC Engine choices coming up in the next few weeks?

I already have Star Blade, Dungeon Explorer and Bonk.

Oh, and SCREW YOU Nintendo for not allowing Australians to buy PC Engine games.

They stopped that? That sucks the giant man wang. I want PC Engine games god damnit.

xsarien

daedsiluap
LakeEarth said:
The title of this thread has been supified. I didn't even notice, but in 3-4 months this thread is already beating the Live Arcade thread by 1200 posts. Damn.

Because Nintendo's actually updating their game download service on a regular basis.

ThirstyFly said:
Nintendo seriously needs to start getting some arcade games on the VC. I'd love to have the arcade versions of TMNT 1-2, even though the SNES version of Turtles in Time is better.
'Virtual Arcade' would be awesome! What I would really like to see is an arcade port of Donkey Kong.

ant1532

Banned
xsarien said:
Because Nintendo's actually updating their game download service on a regular basis.
But there is a reason for that.

They're still just ROM dumps

Still awesome to play all these games again but it's still just that.

MoxManiac

ThirstyFly said:
Releasing games in order hasn't been the case so far on the VC when it comes to series spread across different systems, so there's no reason the SNES TMNT: Turtles in Time couldn't be released first. Just look at and Super Castlevania IV and Contra III: The Alien Wars. Konami had no problem releasing those first (dammit Konami, I want my NES Contra and Super C!).

I doubt that. Doesn't Komani still hold the license for the new cartoon series, while Ubi holds the movie license? That would also probably explain why they changed the voices in the recent console ports of the arcade games, they may have had to make them tie into the new cartoon as part of the license. Since the original NES game doesn't have any voices they wouldn't have to make any changes.

SNES Turtles in Time better than the arcade version? What?

AntMurda

Most Anticipated Virtual Console Games

-N64-
Excitebike 64
Tetrisphere
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
Star Fox 64
F-Zero Mothafuggin X

-SNES-
Famicom Detective Club 2 '98
Fire Emblem 4
Fire Emblem 5

Jiggy

Branduil said:
Okay, I have 600 points sitting in my VC account. Someone sell me on New Adventure Island.
Get it. I'm really happy with NAI even though I remember disliking the NES version as a kid--not sure why, maybe just the linearity. But hey, in this era of free-roam, linearity can be refreshment to the soul in a good game like this.

xsarien

daedsiluap
ant1532 said:

If the alternative is what Microsoft is doing - seemingly nothing - then I'll take the ROMs.

Jiggy

HyperZone<3 said:
Since Mystical Ninja and ZAMN (great acronym) showed up on the future list.
Oh man. Thanks for reminding me--in the wake of ZAMN, I almost forgot about Goemon, which is even more awesome (and that's not an easy feat).

At this rate, VC might as well be a $25-30/month subscription service for me; looking at the games I bought as if I had gotten a launch Wii, I would have spent $22, $35, $22, and $24 over the four months so far...

Lapsed

Banned
ant1532 said:

The service is not 'rom dumps'. Specific emulation is written for each game (and must be extensively tested). The legal knots for each game must be untied first before they can be sold again (and these legal knots can have twenty years of dust on them). John Master Lee, Hudson employee, has said that Hudson barely were able to get out the games they could during the months leading to Christmas. Dungeon Explorer being delayed for emulation purposes (as well as several Sega games) along with Military Madness having emulation problems should show that there is more work involved than being a 'rom dump'. Years of illegally downloading roms off the Internet have created this distortion that only image files are put up and 'one-size-fits-all' emulator handles everything on the VC.

Since XBLA is using the same language as PCs, the problem with XBLA is coming from their business model which is jamming up the works somehow.

Here's a better way to put it: can you make a better hamburger than McDonald's? I sure can. Anyone can make a better hamburger than McDonald's. But can you make a better business model than McDonald's? Think of the logistical nightmare of shipping in all those fries, the meat, managing the lowly paid employees, and so on. But, like clockwork, it gets the product out.

Anyone can put out a better 'features' than the Virtual Console game. Even amateur emulator programmers can put in online multiplayer support for Mario Kart 64 (and whatever else). But think of the business model. Online muliplayer support would have to be extensively tested which would delay the game's release considerably. Additional features like 'high definition', leaderboard adoption, and all would also slow down the product's release.

The reason why XBLA is having issues isn't because VC has roms (you think SOTN, Worms, Pacman, Joust, Mutant Storn, etc. were all made from scratch? They already existed in some digital form already). It is because VC has a superior business model which is why the product isn't delayed for 'more testing'. When the VC runs into some sort of 'snag', there is some easily emulated first party product that can be put out so the VC delivers something each week. XBLA doesn't appear to have such a contingency plan.

ThirstyFly said:

GAF's "Nintendo Ninja" said that any machine is allowed to come on to the VC, so arcade machines could make an eventual appearance. We know the Master System and Commodore 64 are coming in some form. But for now, arcade games, along with all the Japanese only games, Saturn games, and Dreamcast games are currently available on the Magical Console (along with any other game you wish).

Lapsed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
At this rate, VC might as well be a $25-30/month subscription service for me; looking at the games I bought as if I had gotten a launch Wii, I would have spent $22, $35, $22, and $24 over the four months so far...

Question for everyone: would you be willing to pay a subscription fee per month to be able to access the entire Virtual Console library and play to your heart's content (though you wouldn't be able to 'keep' the games when your subscription runs out)?

I recall the early Virtual Console surveys asking questions like that. But now that you are used to the VC, would you want a subscription model?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Lapsed said:
Question for everyone: would you be willing to pay a subscription fee per month to be able to access the entire Virtual Console library and play to your heart's content (though you wouldn't be able to 'keep' the games when your subscription runs out)?

I'd like the option to do both. The monthly rental model is fine as long as I can then purchase a game I enjoyed and then be able to keep it should I end the subscription. Alternatively, people who don't want a monthly model should be able to buy games outright.

dyls

The new thread title is great and all, but why no sticky? This thread is obviously going to be around awhile as Nintendo and others have been faithfully releasing games each week in all territories.

Lapsed said:
The service is not 'rom dumps'. Specific emulation is written for each game (and must be extensively tested). The legal knots for each game must be untied first before they can be sold again (and these legal knots can have twenty years of dust on them). John Master Lee, Hudson employee, has said that Hudson barely were able to get out the games they could during the months leading to Christmas. Dungeon Explorer being delayed for emulation purposes (as well as several Sega games) along with Military Madness having emulation problems should show that there is more work involved than being a 'rom dump'. Years of illegally downloading roms off the Internet have created this distortion that only image files are put up and 'one-size-fits-all' emulator handles everything on the VC.

Thank you. I think the excellent quality of every single release (and a fix for the only one with real problems) proves that there is an extensive amount of work being put into the service. Just because they make it look easy doesn't mean it is easy. And a nice analogy as per usual, Lapsed.

Top Bottom