• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Brave Story: New Traveler thread

May16

Brave Story: New Traveler
Developer: Game Republic / Sony Japan
Stateside Publisher: XSeed Games
Stateside ship date: July 31, 2007.
Official website: http://www.bravestorynewtraveler.com/
bravestoryprop.JPG

Features... (Partially taken from XSeed's info sheet, partly just me rambling)
*Traditional turn-based RPG combat system enhanced with other additions, such as:
-Unity skills. Form bonds with party members to create new, cooperative special moves.
-Courage. Use "Brave Points" to unleash special abilities. (Think "MP," but regenerating through doing damage.)
-Growth. The hero's weapon evolves when more gemstones are collected. New accessories can be forged out of collected materials, and each character can unlock a one-of-a-kind innate ability.
->For example, the Hero's is that he has a chance of being auto-resurrected if KO'd in battle. Meladee's is a chance of counter attack; Yuno eventually learns to attack two targets in one turn, and so on. You get each character's through different ways.

*Like no load times and no lag! Yay!

*Nicely done character design and fluid movement. Very colorful world.

*Awesome XSeed translation. They really did amazing with this project.

*Collect special birds which can be used in group cockfights or traded for items. Trading and cockfighting can also be done with friends wirelessly.

Reviews:
RPG Land: http://rpgland.com/games/bravestorynewtraveler/review.html
Me all up in that reviewz said:
It's a tale that is quite laden with cliché and predictability, but has such an enjoyable cast of characters and a wonderfully written script that it doesn't matter. Everything seems to say, as a reviewer, one should mark this part of Brave Story: New Traveler somewhat low...but it just doesn't deserve it. It uses old tricks, but uses them in the way that made them so popular to begin with; it simply gets the formula right. This is no doubt helped along by XSeed's excellent localization. The team really went above and beyond what would have been considered passable and pushed to make a quality product here.
Me all up in that reviewz said:
It's got a solid battle system, entertaining story, good characters, and other RPG ingredients done very well--thoroughly enjoyable.

RPGamer: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/bravestory/bravestorypsp/reviews/bravestorypspstrev1.html
Billy said:
Also in the audio department, players will notice that one of the high notes in the game is that the music is quite enthralling.

Though the game doesn't try to differentiate itself from most titles, the game's music and story will keep players interested the entire way through. To sum things up, players who are fans of turn-based RPGs will thoroughly enjoy this title.
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/bravestory/bravestorypsp/reviews/bravestorypspstrev2.html
Mikel said:
Brave Story: New Traveler is just what the doctor ordered--a well-developed, story-driven RPG. With lovable characters, and a story that just won't quit, the game is an enjoyable experience. The abundance of quests, the bird mini-game, and the vastness of the world never leaves the hero having to mindlessly level up to progress.

IGN:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/808/808027p1.html
Terribly written review. I mean I wrote like this when I was in junior high said:
What is a BP meter? Well, I'm glad you asked, friend.

Siliconera:
http://www.siliconera.com/2007/07/26/foreign-traveler-brave-story-new-traveler/
Katie said:
Their effort to bring the story of a New Traveler to North America may not be totally in vain, but XSeed Games, Game Republic, and Sony itself could have created a far more captivating introduction to this classic tale for our audiences.

1up:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3161669
James said:
But what really makes Brave Story sing is the pacing. While the loading times certainly help, it should be noted that battles are fast, the menu options aren't overburdened with unnecessary choices, and the combat system's got enough special attacks (Bravura) and cooperative attacks (Unity) to make the game both visually appealing and strategically pliable.

Screens:
bravestory1.jpg

bravestory2.jpg

bravestory3.jpg

I recommend this one to PSP owners who are into RPGs. And those on the fence about buying a PSP perhaps ought to add this to the list of things to consider if they end up getting one.

Defcon

Banned
I'll probably end up getting it along with Jeanne D'Arc and Monster Hunter Freedom 2. Too bad I have to wait until September to buy a PSP.

john tv

May16: Just checked out your review. Some clarification for you: There are no previous games in the series; rather, Brave Story is based on a novel from Miyuki Miyabe that was released in Japan a couple of years ago (and soon in the US). According to Viz.com, the U.S. version of the novel was translated by none other than NeoGAF favorite/interstellar traveler Alexander O. Smith (of Final Fantasy XII fame):

pd6536.jpg

The PSP game, specifically, is a side-story that takes place at the same time as the events in the novel. We (8-4) did the English translation.

An anime movie based on the novel was also released in Japan, but it kinda sucks. Pretend it doesn't exist and go with the novel and the PSP game instead.

FWIW, the game is out July 31 and the novel is out August 14.

zurra

I really liked the look of this until I saw the cheesy comic book sound effects in combat... is there a way to turn those off?

john tv

May16 said:
Oh? I was referring to these though:
http://www.gamestats.com/objects/815/815522/
http://ds.ign.com/articles/700/700316p1.html
It's not a traditional series per se, but it seems there is a group of games based on the same subject matter.
It's just the novel/anime license getting sold on different platforms, basically. They all came out around the same time -- dunno much about the DS game but heard it wasn't so hot. The PS2 game, on the other hand, is absolutely terrible.

Shouta

john tv said:
An anime movie based on the novel was also released in Japan, but it kinda sucks. Pretend it doesn't exist and go with the novel and the PSP game instead.

The movie is solid, not great but a decent watch. Very pretty as well. Pales in comparison to the book and the Shinsetsu manga though.

May16

zurra said:
Ignore them and they go away? :D I don't know... they ruined the trailers for me.
If something like that ruined a trailer for you...I think you're taking something too seriously ;)

In any case, yeah, you notice it less and less as the game goes on, and it also does tell you useful stuff, like "WEAKNESS" to indicate you just hit a monster weak against the element you used, and so on.

It kind of grew on me, and since there's that book and all, I liked the comic book-type feel it gave off. Also old Batman episodes rock.

Oldschool

I seriously cant wait.

Here is a hope to this game get a better suply. Find Dungeon Maker to buy was a hard mission.

kenta

Has no PEINS
john tv said:
May16: Just checked out your review. Some clarification for you: There are no previous games in the series; rather, Brave Story is based on a novel from Miyuki Miyabe that was released in Japan a couple of years ago (and soon in the US). According to Viz.com, the U.S. version of the novel was translated by none other than NeoGAF favorite/interstellar traveler Alexander O. Smith (of Final Fantasy XII fame):

pd6536.jpg

The PSP game, specifically, is a side-story that takes place at the same time as the events in the novel. We (8-4) did the English translation.

FWIW, the game is out July 31 and the novel is out August 14.
Welp looks like I'll be buying a book in August as well, Alexander O. Smith is great

Anno

It's odd that the PSP went months without an RPG release that wasn't a remake or a port, and now they'll soon be thrown at us in droves. I'll be picking this up for sure.

zurra

May16 said:
If something like that ruined a trailer for you...I think you're taking something too seriously ;)

In any case, yeah, you notice it less and less as the game goes on, and it also does tell you useful stuff, like "WEAKNESS" to indicate you just hit a monster weak against the element you used, and so on.

It kind of grew on me, and since there's that book and all, I liked the comic book-type feel it gave off. Also old Batman episodes rock.
Fair enough, maybe I'll give it a go.

Anno

zurra said:
Fair enough, maybe I'll give it a go.

If it makes ya feel better, they threw me off initially, too. I certainly wasn't expecting it, and it seemed more than a little strange. The longer I thought about it, though, the more I came to just accept them. It seems like something that'll fade out of your mind after an hour of playing.

The production values of this game seem to be high enough that it'll be worth picking up regardless. Nil loading times are great, and the graphics look far better than par.

May16

Anno said:
The production values of this game seem to be high enough that it'll be worth picking up regardless. Nil loading times are great, and the graphics look far better than par.
The production values ARE high indeed. The wife has also played my copy of this for a bit and was a big fan of such things, particularly XSeed's translation.

For example, in the monster directory, the text entries are descriptive enough, but also funny, like: "A living skeleton. Because it wouldn't be an RPG without one." They did great with the dialogue, which would have been enough to earn big props, but the team really went the extra mile here.

Ravidrath

Anyone else see the trailer for this and think the visual onomatopoeia was obnoxious and overdone?

On one hand I'm glad they localized it, but on the other I don't think it fits the look of the rest of the game at all and takes up way too much of the screen in some of those.

Wish there was a way to turn it off, but that seems unlikely.

Man, this is out the same day as D&D Tactics. PSP SRPG ejaculaton confirmed!
EDIT: Oh wait, this isn't an SRPG? Guess I confused it with Phantom Brave or something

ethelred

May16 said:
The production values ARE high indeed. The wife has also played my copy of this for a bit and was a big fan of such things, particularly XSeed's 8-4's translation.

For example, in the monster directory, the text entries are descriptive enough, but also funny, like: "A living skeleton. Because it wouldn't be an RPG without one." They did great with the dialogue, which would have been enough to earn big props, but the team really went the extra mile here.

Not surprising... 8-4's one of the absolute best in the business right now.

Anyway, very excited for this game. I've been eagerly looking forward to it for a long time. I ended up spending more for the Cali trip than I had intended to, so I'm not buying a lot of games this month -- and Brave Story's easily making the cut (along with P3).

Tamanon

Banned
Huh, hadn't seen anything on this game until now. I'll definitely pick it up though, looks awesome. Will start playing right after P3:p

u_neek

Was totally into this game when they announced this a while back but completely forgot about it 'till recently. Might re-buy a PSP just for this - and Crisis Core..

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I remember when this was released in Japan, never expected it to be translated back then, so to see it finally being released in the US is very cool. Haven't played an RPG on PSP in a long time and it sounds like it's of good quality, I liked the "no load times" part too. :p

Oldschool

Rpgamer has 2 reviews up.

4/5 and 4.5/5.

"The pace of RPGs coming out for Sony's PlayStation Portable is picking up, and with it comes a lot of experimentation on what gamers want now days. A lot of this experimentation has resulted in low review scoring, however, and sometimes it's best to get back to the basics. Brave Story: New Traveler does just that, offering a traditional, story-based linear RPG through and through."

"Brave Story: New Traveler is just what the doctor ordered--a well-developed, story-driven RPG. With lovable characters, and a story that just won't quit, the game is an enjoyable experience. The abundance of quests, the bird mini-game, and the vastness of the world never leaves the hero having to mindlessly level up to progress. The graphics and music keep the game entertaining. It's not a game that will make people rush out and pick up a PSP, but for those who already have one, it will be a welcome addition to their library."

Cant Wait. :D

zoku88

I just got a free 1 month Amazon Prime membership, so I decided that I might as well buy this game. From what I hear, it's actually a pretty good game, no?

Something about it reminds me of Radiata Stories (the font? The character stats?) I know the battle system is completely different.

Thoren

Banned
Finally we get some really killer RPGs on the PSP! I'm just blown away by the graphics, seriously borderline PS2. I'm also glad to hear 8-4 did the translation, they did excellent work on Baten Kaitos Origins.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I haven't played it either (in fact, I don't yet even own a PSP: trying to decide whether to wait for the new version in Sept.), but I'm also reminded a lot of Radiata Stories when I see this game and I think that is one of the things that draws it to me the most.

The translation being done by 8-4 also helps tremendously. This'll probably be one of the first games I seriously delve into when I get my PSP in the coming months!

May16

*Top post edited to include RPGamer's two reviews and quotes from them.*

While I'm here, um, did I mention: buy this game? ^^

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So this game comes out today, doesn't it? Discussion is on the down low for what seems like a great PSP RPG.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Wario64 said:
So this game comes out today, doesn't it? Discussion is on the down low for what seems like a great PSP RPG.
Definitely looking forward to it, I heard it was overly anime kawaiiiiiiiii ^______^_^ though

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Does the game has a customizable character?

Can you choose to be male or female and create their appearance a la Tales of the World?

Definitely picking this up, always a sucker for a good handheld RPG, especially since ones that aren't generic borefests are exceedingly rare.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Looking out on gamerankings, seems that from the review standpoint this one is great, which usually means diehards will eat it up. Definitely swinging by to pick this up tomorrow.

Top Bottom