• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Burnout 3 Thread - Sparks Let Me Touch You!

I thought I would make an official thread before 5 or 6 different one pop up and there is none about the game yet (only threads about the reviews)

The game just dropped in my lap unexpectedly late yesterday (Tuesday) I could not play it as I was so tired due to me a sleep not been the best of friends at the moment. So I have now slept for a while and played a bit of the game (5am). It rocks even more that I though it would after reading the main web reviews. The computer players are bloody INSANE and they want to kill me, I really wasn’t expecting them to be like that either. It feels to me as if the slowest cars in this game are faster than the fastest car in burnout 2. The game rocks on my 42’ Screen, the sounds rocks on my 5.1 system and the sparks rock on my Xbox baby!

Anyone else have it yet?

Brofist

For fun if you ever happen to have rented Street Racing Syndicate, play it after a long B3 session....it's fucking hilarious how slow that shit is.

Considering how deplorable the Live component of the game seems to be, my excitement has been curbed greatly.

I'm still getting it tomorrow, but the Live sucking is a huge disappointment.

siamesedreamer said:
Considering how deplorable the Live component of the game seems to be, my excitement has been curbed greatly.

I'm still getting it tomorrow, but the Live sucking is a huge disappointment.

I heard about the Live screw up on EA's part, it dosent matter for me though as i cant play on live anyway.

BTW i have been playing about 3 hours and have 7% done, so i guess the game really is twice as long as BO2 (maybe even a bit more)

Brofist

Keyser Soze said:
I heard about the Live screw up on EA's part, it dosent matter for me though as i cant play on live anyway.

BTW i have been playing about 3 hours and have 7% done, so i guess the game really is twice as long as BO2 (maybe even a bit more)

I've done 11% in about a little over 3 hrs, so yeah it will have some slay it seems. I'm just trying for all golds though so that taking time as well.

funcojoe

I got it today also, I put about 5 hours into it and it's really alot of fun! I played a couple games on Live and those were awesome too.

d0de this game be rocking.

I wasn't feeling it at first. I thought the action was ok, and the game looked fugly at times. However, I stuck in there and this is definitely a kick ass product. The sense of speed is pure insanity when you get near the 200 mark. Fastest racer I've ever played, bar none. While the graphics are jaggy at times, the whole thing has an uber cool look to it...I also think they did a great job of making the game far more colorful then BO2 ever was.

I found the enjoyment of teh game really increased when I turned off the shitty music and put on Paul Oakenfold's ready steady go. That song was made for BO3. That, plus learning how to pull off some really great takedowns and nailing them one after the other...this game is FUN.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
This game is simply amazing. We've been playing for two hours and it has been nothing other than a killer gaming experience.

RiZ III

Is there any big difference between the Ps2 and Xbox version? I like the ps2 controller a lot better and ps2 games always tend to have that wierd shinyness thing which is apparently bad although I really like it. Any extra features on either one? Does teh xbox one have a custom soundtrack feature?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ok the DJ guy is getting on my tits now

I like the majority of the EA trax though.

Game is Very cool though the difficulty seems to spike (might just be my suckiness) some races it'll be really easy to catch the first place car, others (in the same class) they'll speed off into the distance and no matter how flawlessly i drive i can never catch them.

Yusaku

RiZ, the PS2 verison has BETTER SPARKS!

You can turn the DJ off (and I did).

The loading on the PS2 is a little annoying when playing the Crash contests, even with HD Loader.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ghost, do you know how to boost off the starting line? That might help you get position in those tougher races you mentioned. It was Burnout 2 and the Burnout 3 demo had it so I assume full release does too:

At starting line, rev engine
When countdown timer hits two, tap/hold the brakes
As timer hits 1, release brakes and hit the gas.

You may need to work on the timing a bit - you basically want to rev engine, brake, and then be hitting the gas again just as the timer goes from 1 to 'Go!'

Ramirez

Whats this about butchered online?Seems fine to me...I think my mics broke though...I can only faintly hear people talking,and thats during the loading screens and my volume's all the way up :(

KAOS

Racing GOTY! BO3 has that ps2 grainy grimy look to it but regardless as fun as it is it has a liscense to be ugly{only slightly}. Road Rage kicks ass!, Using NFSU's elimanator mode kick's ass! Racing with the emphasis on takedowns as a means for survival is awesome! Racing with your own soundtrack is almost a necessity not to mention f-ing hilarious.

I see right through you...I see your every mo..ve..CRAarrrAAssshhhhh!!!

I called EB this morning to ask if they had it in, and they said they wouldn't be getting it on until tomorrow. Before I went to work today, I brought in Pandora Tomorrow for a trade-in since it's a fairly new game and I'm not playing it anymore and got $38CDN for store credit (w00t!). I asked them to put it towards Burnout 3 when it comes in and the guy said "Well, I can go grab one from the back if you want -- we just got them in about 20 mins ago".

Looks like I'm set for some burnout 3 lovin when I get off work at 11pm tonight :)

I'm in Edmonton, AB by the way and the EB is the one located in Edmonton Centre in case anyone else in the area was wondering if they've got it in - they do now.

edit: also, I got the xbox version

Have a question regarding custom soundtracks - I don't have any xbox games that support them right now so I don't know how to set them up. Also, my xbox is modded so where do I put the audio files so that the game will be able to find them?

Do I have to have an audio CD and copy it off that to the hard drive, or can I ftp them onto my xbox into the appropriate directory?

Guess I'll have to buy myself a CD-RW to copy stuff over. I don't have any blank CD-Rs I can use to make audio cds. Since I got my DVD burner, I've only been buying DVDs. Thanks for the info anyway :)

edit: or can the xbox read DVD audio discs?

This game is freaking awesome !

Got 152 Gold Medals and Im basically on a halt as these Preview Lap Modes are really difficult. (Specifically the F1 Car)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Not sure what everyone was bitching about as far as Live implementation. It is working fine as far as I am concerned. The game is a blast and a half. I am loving it big time.

Sysgen

I'm lovin it. I have the Xbox version. There are a couple of annoyances. 1st the graphics are blah. WTF is up with all these reviews and great graphics. They're average. WTF is up with the keyboard in when you are in chat mode on a regional server. You've got to be kidding me. The load times detract from the game. Otherwise the gameplay is off the wall.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Been having a ball with the Xbox version. This game rocks all types of hardcore insanity, and the Crash mode (100 stages....wee!) is pure death wish bliss.

I don't like the DJ as he is hella annoying....thank god you can turn him off. And the selection of EA Trax music has got to go....what is this, Madden 2005 all over again!??? And what's up with all the EA billboard marketing on the tracks? I don't need to see Tiger Woods 2005 and NFSU2 one million times as I race around....so stupid.

Also, the load times suck and kills the freneticism. And yes, the "spark" effects do not glow with all their might as seen in the PS2 version. But it's ok.....the whole racing thrills and sense of speed are tight as heck.

Burnout 3 is arcade racing heaven. Props to Criterion. :D

DMczaf

Dskillz, FrenchMov, caninusrule, and I just played BO3 online for awhile. Fun as hell, just a bunch of laughing on the mics :lol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hmm, lotsa peeps seem to be enjoying the game. How intuitive is the car control with the Xbox pad?

Anyone tried the Xbox Mad Catz MC2 wheel with it yet?

can't comment on the madcatz wheel, but the Xbox controller is very nice and smooth.

to be honest with you, i prefer the control of Rallisport Challenge 2 (that game is still by far the best racing game of all time), but for what burnout 3 is it handles very well, even with the default xbox controller.

Tellaerin

Kumiko Nikaido said:
Been having a ball with the Xbox version. This game rocks all types of hardcore insanity, and the Crash mode (100 stages....wee!) is pure death wish bliss.

I don't like the DJ as he is hella annoying....thank god you can turn him off. And the selection of EA Trax music has got to go....what is this, Madden 2005 all over again!??? And what's up with all the EA billboard marketing on the tracks? I don't need to see Tiger Woods 2005 and NFSU2 one million times as I race around....so stupid.

Also, the load times suck and kills the freneticism. And yes, the "spark" effects do not glow with all their might as seen in the PS2 version. But it's ok.....the whole racing thrills and sense of speed are tight as heck.

Burnout 3 is arcade racing heaven. Props to Criterion. :D

I agree with this post. Every last freakin' word. (Xbox version here as well. :D )

Tellaerin

FrenchMovieTheme said:
fuck dude if you love her so much why dont you marry her

*laugh!* I just meant that she nailed every single point I would've made about the game in her post. The typical 'IAWTP' seemed a little weak under the circumstances, so I was agreeing a little more emphatically than usual. :)

Kumiko Nikaido said:
And what's up with all the EA billboard marketing on the tracks? I don't need to see Tiger Woods 2005 and NFSU2 one million times as I race around....so stupid.

Yeah, the product placement is distracting and annoying. But the game is fun as hell, though. Arcade racing heaven, indeed.

A couple other things that bug me though...

They took out the announcer counting down 3.. 2.. 1.. GO! I'm not sure why they did this. It seems to have less urgency without it.

In crash mode (maybe others, I don't know) if you're playing with friends, you're unable to enter your name if you win. Or at all, for that matter. You're just player 1 and player 2. In addition to this, you can't see the high scores or who has them while playing crash. You have to exit back to the main menu and go find the particular crash area in records. This kills the fun in the offline multiplayer crash for me. I've logged countless hours in Burnout 2 playing crash with friends, as I'm sure many others have, and these changes are really disappointing.

Oh, and thank god we can turn off "DJ Stryker"!

I got this game last night... traded in the lackluster Spidey 2 for it.

WOW, I am impressed.... EA took this title and made it great! I eneded up playing for 4 1/2 hours on my own and then did the crash mode with my wife for an hour before bed...

I'm hooked, the game is super-fats and controls like a dream. This is truthfully the first time the controller felt like an extension of myself. So accurate and responsive.

Wow, just wow.. 9.8 out of 10 in my book.

(Why not a 10/10? There's no such thing as a "perfect" game, always room to improve.)

gunstarhero

Played online/offline last night - and this morning before I left for work. This game kicks ass. I went for the Xbox version (I dont need no stinkin shiny sparks!) and I have one complaint:

Dear EA -

Let MS handle the online next time.

Thanks.

The big thing thing that bothers me is the lack of "Aware" support. If I'm playing offline, my online friends cant "see" me or invite me.

Also, the constant signing out/signing in to update my rank was a bit annoying.

One more thing - I'm sure this is due to the first night it being played online by such a large crowd, but the whole online experience seemed "buggy". I kept getting problems where my rank couldnt be updated, some sort of server disc error, and twice it told me my account had been locked. Weird, hope EA irons out the bugs.

Enough complaining though - this game is awesome. Online play is great - Road Rage being my fav, with Party Crash a close second. The graphics/sound/gameplay kick ass, blah blah blah - go buy the game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Fantastic game. They seemed to have combined aspects that I really enjoyed from parts 1 and 2 and made it 10x better. Online was a blast though I had just thrown the game in and didn't really understand what the fock was going on. Played single player for much longer than I intended to last night, it's fantastic.

Sell your indigo Cubes, it's over.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Musashi Wins! said:
What's your gaming tag Tekuno? I'm at work, but I'd like to run you off the road in the future.
Oh god I'm so terrible, rofl. Trying out the race mode for the first time on Xbox Live isn't a wise idea. Did a game with Shuri and a guy from UK. Flawless game, lag free and EXTREMELY FUN.

GamerTag: TekunoRobby

I'd love to have a few matches with you and anyone else though I'm honestly pretty bad. I'll practice today!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Can anyone with the PS2 version confirm for me whether there's widescreen support and how you activate it? I know how to get pro-scan running, but I can't find widescreen anywhere, which I thought was supposed to be in.

Top Bottom