• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DD (Steam/D2D/etc) gifting thread of equal global distribution

Puck

Banned
This thread has been created for the sole purpose of gifting Steam games from certain regions to users in regions where distributors do not believe in equality and like to jack up the prices for the exact same DD copy of a game.

It hopes to level the playing field by allowing users to request games from a different region and pay a lesser sum than it would cost on their Steam region. Pricing equality is the name of the game here.

The localisation of pricing to regions is really a load of crap, it's on the rise and the only reason for the differences is because they can.

This thread is for requests / responses to Steam gifting. It is a central location so requests are not lost and helpful people can be helpful.

What pricing discrepancies?
Good question!

Consumers in certain countries have been noticing this for quite some time.
For example, when Borderlands was released back in November, Borderlands was priced for $50US for the first 2 weeks of launch. Shortly thereafter, there was apparently a pricing error which caused the game to be taken away and then reintroduced at $79US. Similarly with Modern Warfare 2, while it was priced higher in the US store at a higher than normal $59.99US, it was released in Australia on Steam at a high $89.99US which was actually higher than retail stores.

Pricing discrepancies occur on various games for the 3 major regions (AU/UK/US). People deserve to get the best deal they can, which is where this thread comes into play.

Where are the pricing discrepancies?

Another good question!

I have recently found this incredible site called Steam Prices, what it does is pull data from all of the stores and highlights the largest differences in prices. (it also offers a quick and dirty comparison to show the cheapest region for a game you are looking for)

For example, AU top extra charges, US top extra charges. Hopefully you can already see the difference between regions.

Another awesome feature of the site is the top savings, where it shows the cheapest games in that region. US top savings, AU top savings.

The final issue with the Steam global distribution is that certain games are not available in all regions. A primary example is the Rockstar collection pack which is not available in Australia, is currently on sale in the UK/US at the moment. It is not available in Australia so numerous AusGaffers have had to request someone gift them the game from the appropriate regions in the Steam deals thread. A problem with the deals thread is that the deals are so hot the pages keep clicking over rapidly. This often results in requests for gifts to be ignored / skipped over.

How does gifting work?
Simple. You request a game and region you want it purchased from in this thread and hopefully someone from the appropriate region will PM you, where the responder will send their Paypal address along with their Steam ID for the requester to send the appropriate funds and add the responder to their friends list. Once the funds have been received the responder will then purchase the game and gift it over to the requester.

So what now?

Have a browse around the Steam Prices website and find any games you would like (different games are on sale at different times in different regions) and post here in the format of what game(s) you want and what region(s) you would like to have it, followed by your region; ie 'Rockstar Collection - UK/US - AU :('.

Gifting etiquette
Be open with your transaction partner, if you offer to take someones request for a gift and send them your PayPal/Steam details and then go on vacation for a month it isn't going to please the requester. Try to offer a rough estimation of how long it will take you to gift them the game once you have received the funds.

Regarding tipping, I personally am not too sure, I know the majority of users on here would not care if they received/sent a tip, but i would suggest to limit a tip to 5-10% of the transaction value, ie an extra $1-5 (depending on the price discrepancy) of goodwill to ensure the responder will remain warm and fuzzy inside and continuing their good deeds.

Useful sites

PayPal currency converter - note that PayPal currency lags behind real exchange rates for the sole purpose of them getting higher profits by adjusting rates selectively.
-------------------------------------

That's about it, please use the thread for gifting purposes and provide feedback to those who fulfill your requests.

I've purchased quite a few copies of various STALKER games and gifted them to US users, so I will do some AU games if anyone finds any games.

Kerrinck

Great idea for a thread. We really need this, specially with this rockstar week that is blocked in a lot of regions.
Can anyone help me out on getting Bully? It is locked in here.
Will pay in advance.

Moobabe

Kerrinck said:
Great idea for a thread. We really need this, specially with this rockstar week that is blocked in a lot of regions.
Can anyone help me out on getting Bully? It is locked in here.
Will pay in advance.

Sure - PM me your steam username and I'll add you now.

Nice work with the OP. Great idea.

This might also be useful for the few people that still haven't bought Left 4 Dead 2 yet.

Lothars

I am able to get bully in my region but my paypal isn't working with Steam, would anyone be willing to gift me bully and I will paypal you the money?

I'm in the US and willing to gift to anyone as long as they cover any applicable paypal fees.

If you want to be a sweetie and gift me something too that would be nice.

Salacious Crumb

Can someone please help me out with purchasing the R* Collection.

If you're awesome enough to help me out I'll print out a copy of your avatar and stick it on my wall, and every morning I will kiss it. That's how much your kind deed will mean to me.

oh, and of course, I'll pay you through Paypal.

Cheers.

Corto

Can some kind soul gift me with Bully at the sale price? Will gift dollars in return...:D :D :D

I'm from Europe, Portugal. If it's important...

Could I please grab a copy of Bully? Money via PayPal, naturally, is a thing I shall provide in return.

Edit: Ah, missed out. Some other time. :)

Slavik81

This might not necessarily help you. The more visible this becomes, the more the publishers for your regions will complain, and the sooner you'll see an end to cross-region gifting.

Slavik81 said:
This might not necessarily help you. The more visible this becomes, the more the publishers for your regions will complain, and the sooner you'll see an end to cross-region gifting.

Possibly. It may also demonstrate that there is global interest in their games, and that they should at the very least try to make them available to all markets - particularly when it's not even a matter of languages.

Corto

Just to thank Puck for creating this thread of pure win, and to WickedLaharl for having the trouble of gifting me Bully... You guys rock!

LordAlu

This is a fantastic idea, always good to get stuff at more reasonable prices (and help others out in the process) :)

MNC

Great idea. I could've used someone :(

Also, UK prices are generally the cheapest. They have adjusted prices and thanks to the exchange rate, they're usually just a few bucks cheaper than USD/lots of bucks chear than EUR. Just sayin'.

Be sure to provide feedback as well people as the last thing we want is people to get scammed. I've done this a couple dozen times (at least) for various GAFers now, so anyone that has had dealings with me, please vouch for me in this thread if you can.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone interested in doing some game trading? I can't use paypal but i can gift games to other people (indirectly) so i was wondering if someone would do me the favor of gifting me the GTA Classics pack (7.50 bucks right now) in exchange of me gifting you a 10 dollar game in return, obviously i would gift the 10 dollar game first. I know this not the best option but it's the best i could come up with.

MNC

brain_stew said:
Be sure to provide feedback as well people as the last thing we want is people to get scammed. I've done this a couple dozen times (at least) for various GAFers now, so anyone that has had dealings with me, please vouch for me in this thread if you can.
I haven't done a deal with you I think, but I've seen more than enough happy people in the main thread. brain stew is a tasty good person for this!

Yeah, I've done a bunch of these for non-USA gaffers. And I've had other gaffers do it for me when there was a good sale in a foreign location.

legend166

speculawyer said:
Yeah, I've done a bunch of these for non-USA gaffers. And I've had other gaffers do it for me when there was a good sale in a foreign location.

Spec, any chance you could please gift me the GTA Classics Collection?

Steam ID is legend166, email adorber at gmail dot com

LQX

I'm down if anyone needs help. But please be sure. Last time I bought some dude a PS3 code from Amazon only to have him change his mind.

Just quote then PM.

Ledsen

This is an AWESOME thread and I shall be using it liberally :D

although you forgot the euro area in the OP

Kerrinck

brain_stew said:

I can definitely recommend you for helping me out on left 4 dead 2. Same to speculawyer in the christmas sale and Zombieshavebrains.

Let me know if anyone needs the GTA episodes, they are cheaper in here(17,24$)

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
MNC said:
I haven't done a deal with you I think, but I've seen more than enough happy people in the main thread. brain stew is a tasty good person for this!

Yeah i got my $20 l4d2 from brain stew. Good shit.

Moobabe

Kerrinck said:
I can definitely recommend you for helping me out on left 4 dead 2. Same to speculawyer in the christmas sale and Zombieshavebrains.

Let me know if anyone needs the GTA episodes, they are cheaper in here(17,24$)

I can recommend Kerrinck as well - got x3 gold edition quick sharp.

Shaneus

Was outside of this thread, but brain_stew gifted me the Rockstar pack a few days ago. Definitely an awesome guy :)

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Gaffer Scitek helped me get the GTA pack, he didn't even wait for me to gift him the 10 dollar game. Thank you Scitek, you're awesome!

hamchan

Can someone please gift me Max Payne 2? I'm at uni now so I can't pay you back until 3 hours from now. Please PM if you could help.
Stallion Free is awesome and gifting this to me.

You guys know you can buy from other regions using the UK, US and AU stores, right?

Just send a support email to Steam asking for them to unlock your CC and they'll do it. Well, they have for 5+ people I know about.

Top Bottom