• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Deadly Creatures thread for arachnophobic gamers

stuminus3

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I'm not so sure about that. Go to the screen calibration under options on the title screen. It says "adjust your set so the three boxes underneath are squares". They are definitely rectangles when my screen is set to "full" (16:9). Also, if you look at the button prompts that appear, they are definitely ovals. Switch your screen to 4:3, and you'll see them turn to circles."
Ah, I get where this is coming from now. The 2D hud/menu elements are indeed stretched in 16:9, though that's quite common for pre-HD era widescreen games so I never think anything of it. To my surprise, you're right, the calibration squares are off in the menu when in 16:9.

This confused me so I played around for a bit because nothing looks "off" in widescreen. With my Wii in 16:9 and my TV in 4:3 the geometry is thinner than it should be, this is especially obvious in the scorpion levels, the scorpion looks kinda funny with the TV at 4:3. I then reloaded the game with my Wii itself set to 4:3. The game looked the same at 4:3 as it did at 16:9 previously. When I set my TV to 16:9 while the Wii was in 4:3, the game got all stretched out and weird looking.

So in conclusion, looks like the calibration tool is busted, it's just another 2D hud element. Good job, Rainbow. :lol

CoolS

I'm happy people are interested in this game and that the thread is somewhat succesfull :) Just two more days or us Europeans :)

Oh hey I'm in the OP!

Reading through this thread there are a couple small things I just remembered:

-- Japanese Bug Fights were a help/inspiration for the combat

--There was a cliff area towards the end of the game where you could look off the edge and see every area you'd been to and how far you'd come, but like the other stuff I mentioned it didn't make it to the final version. The Wii couldn't really handle it well, IIRC.

--The lizards and rats originally had green blood like the other enemies, but they changed it to red for a but and ended up sending that version for the ESRB. They actually didn't bump up the rating any more, so they kept it.

--There were a few people during the focus testing that couldn't stand bugs. One little girl had to take off the headphones since it creeped her out, and another guy who was afraid of creepy-crawlies actually found the game cathartic, identifying himself with the player characters and smashing up the other bugs.

I think the presentation itself should be on youtube somewhere... I'll look and edit this post if I find it.

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Oh hey I'm in the OP!

I actually thought about bug fights when i saw some of the moves performed, which helped me "feel" the game even more. Sometimes a move will come out and the way a bug reacts feels eerily real. Of course, some of the more outrageous combos are far fetched when compared to the animal kingdom...but seeing something such as
the enemy scorpion knocking away the husk of another bug as it walks toward you
has a really big effect on setting the mood and believability of the world you are playing in. Its such a small, almost minute detail, but it goes a long way.

--There was a cliff area towards the end of the game where you could look off the edge and see every area you'd been to and how far you'd come, but like the other stuff I mentioned it didn't make it to the final version. The Wii couldn't really handle it well, IIRC.
This is something that might not have gone very far in any other game, but would have had such a great emotional effect in here. Just hearing about it makes me miss it, but as the game stands right now, its fantastic. It does have a few issues, but its something that is greater than the sum of its parts. The greatest thing is that its parts are already pretty good on their own...but as a whole, it reaches so far.

El-Suave

I have this preordered as well. Too bad I won't be able to play it until next week though since it'll take a few days for it to arrive from the UK. Stupid German age stickers. :-(

CoolS

Oh hey I'm in the OP!

--The lizards and rats originally had green blood like the other enemies, but they changed it to red for a but and ended up sending that version for the ESRB. They actually didn't bump up the rating any more, so they kept it.

--There were a few people during the focus testing that couldn't stand bugs. One little girl had to take off the headphones since it creeped her out, and another guy who was afraid of creepy-crawlies actually found the game cathartic, identifying himself with the player characters and smashing up the other bugs.

I think the presentation itself should be on youtube somewhere... I'll look and edit this post if I find it.

Nice, edited this information into the OP. Now I already want a sequel, even without having played this one yet ^^

Boneapart

Banned
i literally can't even watch trailers of this game because of spiders, I can't stand them. Spiders fighting snakes? Gosh, that just freaks me right out, ew, creepy.

deepbrown

CoolS said:
Well it's always like this, isn't it? :D

I'm sure sonn there will be someone who trashes the game.. don't worry!
The game is very brown - and the moves can get confusing and I wish there was more story early on. But it's still brilliant :)

Deadly Creatures!
ibzxjp.jpg

Verve

Haunted said:
No, I meant that I posted that video in the first place (gives me the creeps). :p

ah, ok...

I also felt bad about that video... might sound oversensitive, but more due to the fact that people do this to animals than due to the spider or the scorpion

Eteric Rice

Next time they (or you guys, are you a dev?) need to try to get that feature in. You might have to find an alternate way of doing it, but I'm sure there's a way.

pakkit

Banned
yoopoo said:
I never saw the De Blob commercials but apparently it was advertised on a lot of kids shows.
Yep, I'm sure a lot of 8-15 year old Nickelodeon boys would've gotten behind the idea of Deadly Creatures. For shame, THQ, for shame!

All I have to say is WTF?!? I was thinking of picking up Mushroom Men, but that is another 49.99 "kinda interested just for the oddity" that I am not sure if I am going to love. And I am not a renter type either. I tried that with GTAIII, in total I spent around $90 on that game for the PS2 because I rented it like 3-4 times before I actually went out and bought it. I don't know why I didn't I guess it was just easier to pick it up with my parents at the videostore every weekend rather than just pick up the game for $50 dollars. And in 2001 when that came out, I barely had a job I think...so yeah.

pakkit

Banned
WickedCobra03 said:
All I have to say is WTF?!? I was thinking of picking up Mushroom Men, but that is another 49.99 "kinda interested just for the oddity" that I am not sure if I am going to love. And I am not a renter type either. I tried that with GTAIII, in total I spent around $90 on that game for the PS2 because I rented it like 3-4 times before I actually went out and bought it. I don't know why I didn't I guess it was just easier to pick it up with my parents at the videostore every weekend rather than just pick up the game for $50 dollars. And in 2001 when that came out, I barely had a job I think...so yeah.
GTA III is a lot meatier than the 6 hour Mushroom Men or the 10 hour Deadly Creatures. So...Gamefly?

stuminus3

Banned
Ghah, that EDGE review has gone and shit up the Metacritic score.

Not that I'd usually care, but with no advertising push, this is a word-of-mouth kinda game. It sucks that when you look at something like Metacritic for Wii or DS games, you find some totally awesome stuff rubbing shoulders score-wise with some really terrible stuff, because the reviews are all over the place no matter how good the game is.

EDIT: actually look at some of the same stuff with similar scores to Deadly Creatures. Sam & Max Season 1 (74)? SSX Blur (74)? Endless Ocean (73)? Freaking Excite Truck (72)? Screw you stupid internet, you are wrong. WRONG.

CrisKre

I played the first two chapters last night and i have to say i love this game.

It does have its minor technical problems, which really is a shame because with a little more time in the oven this could have been an AAA title. That said, its been a long time since i played a game thats so unique. The concept is just brilliant, and moreover it is very well designed to be fun. I dont think i can add anything to whats already been said of the impeccable atmosphere. The music is phenomenal and the graphics and animations are top notch. I am especially impressed by the art direction here, its very cohesive, wich given the subject matter and the uniqueness of the whole concept is a great feat.

The first chapter works as a tutorial of sorts, and things really dont get going up until id say half into it. At that point the game really becomes interesting and gives a successful and consistent sense of awe.

Surprisingly for me, the second chapter becomes even more compelling. This is where the scorpion gameplay is introduced, and quite honestly so far the pacing is phenomenal.

OK... so al said and done, based on my time with this, i can only recommend people give this a try and support this developers and publiser, not only for how unique and good this is but also for the prospect of future iterations in what could be a great and fresh IP.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Up to Chapter 5, and this game is delivering. Can't recommend it enough.

Like others have said, the mechanics are decent and fun. What sells the game is that you -are- the spider/scorpion. Everything in the game is geared towards making you feel like you're a small insect. Which makes exploring the world of the tiny, which is huge around you, incredibly compelling.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
pakkit said:
Does it capture the sense of scale better than, say, Mushroom Men?

It captures the scale on par with Pikmin, in my opinion. If not moreso, actually, as the world is very much grounded in reality.... and you are exploring much more varied environments than the gardens in Pikmin. Haven't played Mushroom Men.

It's kind of a shame that they released this with next to zero marketing as a full price game. Not that I don't feel it is worth full price, but in the current market, I can't see this game selling at all unless word of mouth gets around. The concept is just too crazy for someone to see it on a shelf and not think it's just some shit shovelware Wii game about a spider.

CrisKre

It captures the scale on par with Pikmin, in my opinion. If not moreso, actually, as the world is very much grounded in reality.... and you are exploring much more varied environments than the gardens in Pikmin. Haven't played Mushroom Men.

I think the fact that the camera is right behind the character and its movement is very cinematic give it the edge over pikmin as far as giving a better sense of scale. Of course both games try to accomplish completely different things, and succeed for different reasons.

And i for one will definitely try and make people get this, something i rarely do. It would be sad if this game didnt do at least respectable numbers.

CoolS

Damn, with all these impressions. The wait till Friday seems even longer.

Luckily enough I'm going t party tomorrow night, so it won't be that bad.:D

pakkit

Banned
There may not be any commercial push, but I was glad to see that this was the game in the Wii kiosk when I entered my local Gamestop. The cashiers were hyping it up too, even though the people in front of me to play it had no idea what the hell they were doing. It's nice though, the ace graphics hopefully will push a few copies in the few weeks or so it'll get in the kiosk.

The Hermit

Is this game better than Mushroom Men or the Blob?
There was such a drought of Wii games last year that those "average at best" games were hyped to no end.

jibblypop

Banned
Baiano19 said:
Is this game better than Mushroom Men or the Blob?
There was such a drought of Wii games last year that those "average at best" games were hyped to no end.

De Blob is fucking incredible. I think it's just not for everyone. The people that like it REALLY like it though.

Anyways onto Deadly Creatures. I picked this up today but haven't had much time to play yet. I love the graphics and atmosphere. The gameplay seems good enough so far but I need to put in more time. I can tell already that I'm going to really enjoy this game though since the setting is perfectly created.

Top Bottom