• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Deadly Creatures thread for arachnophobic gamers

Mdk7

Fuck, this game is IMPOSSIBLE to find in Italy (or at least near Milan).
It's coming out tomorrow but nobody has it in stock, it's like as if it didn't exist.

/sad

dyls

Baiano19 said:
Is this game better than Mushroom Men or the Blob?
There was such a drought of Wii games last year that those "average at best" games were hyped to no end.

:(

I loved de Blob. And for it to be average would imply that there were other 3D platformers released last year to compare it to. Other than BK, which was barely a platformer anyway, were there any others released?

Sagitario

Mdk7 said:
It's coming out tomorrow but nobody has it in stock, it's like as if it didn't exist.

/sad

At least you know it's coming... stores in México know nothing about the game :( ...

selig

Banned
Im at chapter 3.
Im liking the game alot, but now im at a stupid quick time event, where you have to do several qte-rounds in a row...i just suck at that :lol

Though i wonder how many chapters the game has, because i was at chapter 3 in like 20 minutes, if at all.

Oh, one thing that sucks, even though it´s understandable from a design point: If you fall from above, you die...i need to see the spider that dies from a fall ;)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
selig said:
Oh, one thing that sucks, even though it´s understandable from a design point: If you fall from above, you die...i need to see the spider that dies from a fall ;)
Actually they recommend that you don't have too tall an enclosure for a terrestrial tarantula as even a small fall can rupture their abdomen.

poppabk said:
Actually they recommend that you don't have too tall an enclosure for a terrestrial tarantula as even a small fall can rupture their abdomen.
Now extraterrestrial tarantulas on the other hand...

oh god please kill me for that

Mdk7

Farore said:
At least you know it's coming... stores in México know nothing about the game :( ...
It's the same in here, don't worry.
I had to tell them what game i was talking about, and then they checked on their PCs...
It's gonna sell tons of copy, i'm confident. :lol

bryehn

I like this game a lot. I really enjoy the storytelling method. Reminds me of Chibi-Robo! in that sense. The camera can get kind of janky sometimes when going from horizontal to vertical though, a bit jarring.

bryehn said:
I like this game a lot. I really enjoy the storytelling method. Reminds me of Chibi-Robo! in that sense. The camera can get kind of janky sometimes when going from horizontal to vertical though, a bit jarring.
Yeah, the camera can sometimes have a different path than what you would like it to. I guess it does a pretty good job though, considering how you are all over the place...it does need a little work though.

stuminus3

Yay, Gamespy and ONM UK reviews brought the Metacritic score up a bit, at least it's highlighted in green now. :lol

tim1138

Got this from GameFly yesterday and just started playing. I'm only into chapter 2, just got the Scorpion and am underground. My early impressions are all positive so far, the camera can be a bit off at times, but the combat has a nice feel to it and visually it looks great. I'll probably end up keeping this, if it holds up I could see myself playing through it more than once.

CoolS

Finally got it. Played the first two chapters. I like how the gameplay naturally evolves while you are playing. I kill a bug and suddenly I unlocked a new move. Yay! It is definitely great so far. My favourite moment was in chapter 2 when you suddenly realize you are
crawling and fighting inside a coffin

Oh and the sound adds SO much on this. The amtmosphere is AMAZING. I'm really liking this so far. And i like how they implemented the waggle, especially the QTE finishing moves feel SO satisfying.

Amir0x

Banned
I ordered this game because I had a little extra money, and because I like the whole general idea of it. Wasn't really following this game at all because it sounded like THQ shovelware at a glance, but people were mentioning it and the IGN video sold me so I put my money out there.

So I hope I'm not throwing my money away. I support hardcore games for the Wii!

Tab0203

I'm at chapter 4. I love the atmosphere.

nffc3t.jpg

120mpsw.jpg

281y251.jpg

14csnrn.jpg

rtp5qe.jpg

2n8r7yc.jpg

nqppac.jpg

e80ak5.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Mdk7 said:

/sad

Then buy it at play.com, it's in stock at only 33Euros. :D

edit: Oh, you bought it already

Btw, I'm baffled at how fucking POOR the boxart is especially considering how fucking AWESOME the official artwork for this game is (see lyre's post, 1st page) :-/

I really don't get it, this WILL definitely hurt the game's sales.
Today I was at my local Gamerush (BB's own vgs' store franchise) where two lame "core gamers know-it-all" were looking at the Wii's section, then upon seeing DC on the shelves they mentioned "what the hell, is that a Popcap's game on the chart? Poor Wii owners must be desperate LOL LOL LOL". And you know, unfortunately I can't really blame them: the boxart has that "fake cgi-ish" plain illustration feel that you usually find on budget crap like Offroad Monster Trucks/Anubi/Table Football... WHYYYYY??????

CrisKre

I like how the game gets progressively better and better. Its like the developers got more ambitious as the game went by. Awesome game. Needs more support and hopefully we will get a sequel.

Dash Kappei

Eteric Rice said:
HOLY SHIT THE GESTURES ARE ACTUALLY RECOGNIZED.

And won't work if you do it wrong.

At least in my case so far.

Wow.

Wow, this would be the first Wii game that does that *properly* in my experience :O

Need more impressions stat! If you guys can expand on "I like it"/"cool!" it would be sweet ;)

How's the graphics btw? How does it fare with the best the console has to offer?

I'm at chapter 3 and am really enjoying this game. You feel like you really are a spider or scorpion while playing. Their movements seem very realistic. It also looks great.

Dash Kappei

Leon S. Kennedy said:
I'm at chapter 3 and am really enjoying this game. You feel like you really are a spider or scorpion while playing. Their movements seem very realistic. It also looks great.

Is it a waggle fest combat a la Zelda (bleah!) or is it more well thought? Is it a mix of buttons and motion controls? I hate mindless waggle but I love weel implemented motion controls, if you know what I mean going by that difference.
Can you make a few examples of the combat and how the levels roll out? I don't have the bandwith tonight to watch videos and such..

tim1138

Dash Kappei said:
Is it a waggle fest combat a la Zelda (bleah!) or is it more well thought? Is it a mix of buttons and motion controls? I hate mindless waggle but I love weel implemented motion controls, if you know what I mean going by that difference.
Can you make a few examples of the combat and how the levels roll out? I don't have the bandwith tonight to watch videos and such..

Initially it's a mix of button presses and motion controls, but as you make progress through the game you learn more motion based attacks. As someone pointed out earlier though, you really have to be accurate with the gestures or it doesn't work, my limited experience with it has been no mindless waggle.

selig

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Is it a waggle fest combat a la Zelda (bleah!) or is it more well thought?

Smashing the A-button + ONE move of the wiimote to do special moves.
Like, hit enemy with A-attack, then move wiimote to the right or left, and the spider punches the enemy away. Or move the wiimote downwards, and the scorpion nails the enemy with his tail. It´s definitely not waggle.

The motion controls work very good. I haven't had any movement recognized as something different which I had problems with in Zelda. You also get to use the wiimote to aim where you want to shoot your spiderweb.

Up to Chapter 9 now. The game is pretty awesome. Atmosphere is absolutely stunning, and I just love exploring these twisted, and excellently designed environments. Combat's also really fun, and as mentioned above, the motions recognition work surprisingly well. It's also worth pointing out that the battles are anything but mindless, and require in fact quite a bit of strategy, as well as reflexes (I got absolutely wiped out more than once because I was throwing myself recklessly into battle). So yeah, I'm probably near the end now, so the adventure wasn't a lenghty one, but I'm still finding it enjoyable and particularly memorable. 'Short but good', basically.

Eteric Rice

I hope we get a sequel. The guys that did this game are talented if you ask me.

At least I hope we get a game with the same engine (but enhanced).

I'm playing it, on Chapter 3 now. I like it. A couple of observations:

The good:

This game's title screen is awesome! It's the coolest one I've seen since Metroid Prime 1. I sat and watched it for a good 10 minutes tonight.

The game is pretty good so far. The gestures work, but I found them just a bit hard to set off, even with the sensitivity all the way up. On the other hand, though, at least they never go off for no reason.

The bad:

On the topic of 16:9 "support": this game is using the bullshit cropping method, not actually rendering in 16:9. On top of that, the 2D menus and such are slapped onto the cropped "widescreen" area, but stretched. It's really annoying and stupid. Let me demonstrate.

This is a shot of the game with the Wii in 4:3 mode. Everything is good.
DC%20-%204-3%20proper.jpg

This is the exact same loaded area, without moving the spider at all, with the Wii in 16:9 mode. Note the properly rendered spider and environment, but the distorted oval-shaped A button prompt.
DC%20-%2016-9%20proper.jpg

Also note that widescreen mode does not have a wider field of vision. Instead, it has a shorter one, so your actual view area is smaller, not larger. Like so:
DC%20-%2016-9%20render%20area.jpg

If you sidebar the widescreen image, you get a horizontally squished picture, but anything 2D in the game--all the loading screens and menus, etc--will be unstretched, like the A button prompt in this sidebarred widescreen shot:
DC%20-%2016-9%20sidebar.jpg

This is frustrating, because unlike a game that just doesn't support widescreen, just turning on the sidebars doesn't make the game display correctly. You have to set the Wii to 4:3 mode instead. I'd rather they did nothing. I'm shocked that such a technically competent developer would use this kind of crappy shortcut, and then mess up the 2D overlay as well.

Anony

that's just disappointing
i didnt get very far, at least i know to leave it at 4:3 to get the most picture

at least the reviewers notice this lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm on Chapter 7. Some thoughts:

Positives
+ Animations for the scorpion and the tarantula are excellent. Scorpion death blows and Tarantula pounces are so very fun to watch.
+ The minimal UI is much appreciated. No clutter makes me happy.
+ The music in general. It complements the game immensely in building atmosphere during exploration and combat.
+ Battles are a lot of fun. Most enemies have their weakness and openings. You will get your ass handed to you if you just straight up mash, especially on hard mode. Gestures work very well.
+ I absolutely LOVE the storytelling in the background. Of course, as a bug you don't give a shit, but it adds to the coolness that humans are around. Billy Bob Thornton did a good job.
+ Boss fights. I love that it's believable within the context of the game. You're not going to go toe-to-toe with a fucking Gila Monster that just chowed down on a whole army of your kind, so get the hell out of there. Nice!

Negatives
- Texture and colours. I understand the bugs are in dark tunnels and crawling in dirt most of the time, but there's still way too much brown. Blurry textures are a bit of a turnoff as well, since you're basically right next to every wall and floor.
- Level Design. I'm sorry, but black swirly barriers are such a copout, especially when they're totally arbitrary and not relevant to clearing an area out of enemies and such. It's also a little easy to get lost in some areas, especially when you're going upside down and all around. I do appreciate the excellent direction hint system though.
-My biggest complaint thus far: I WANT MORE ENEMIES AND BOSS FIGHTS. They're the best part of the game, not swinging from web to web or clearing brush. Each chapter should have had a boss fight. No excuse for that not happening.
-I would have liked a point system that was dependent on how quick or how clean you clear out enemies. That would have added quite a bit to the replay value.

Enough ranting though. I'm having fun with the title, definitely worth the pickup for 30 bones (traded in some garbage for credit). This strikes me as a title that warrants a sequel and can do so without rehashing the same mechanics.

dyls

Just finished chapter 4. Wasn't feeling it at first, but it's grown on me quite a bit. There are some silly design decisions—why can't I go all the way around this vine rather than just three quarters before I get stuck on some non-existent obstacle?—but the combat is actually quite fun, especially with the scorpion. The gestures work really well and the finishing moves are always satisfying. They throw enough of a variety of enemies at you to keep things interesting. Sound design is fantastic top to bottom.

The story is actually pretty fun, or at least told in an interesting manner. I'm pretty impressed that they not only got Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper to do the voices, but also fairly extended interviews in which they seem genuinely interested in the subject matter. Billy Bob seems like he could go for hours about—somewhat tangentially to the game—snakes, and Dennis Hopper obviously did more than just one take of each line and hand me my check thank you very much.

Also, the title screen is one of the best and most disturbing ever. They obviously were incredibly meticulous in capturing the various insects. And is it just me or are more insects added each time you finish a chapter?

Definitely a worthwhile experience, I just wish they had cleaned up some of the more obtuse aspects of movement and given more freedom to venture about, especially with the tarantula. The occasional stuttering is also a drag, and it sounds like the game is working the shit out of my Wii—the drive is going crazy much of the time.

Leondexter said:
The gestures work, but I found them just a bit hard to set off, even with the sensitivity all the way up.

I only keep the sensitivity at about halfway and have no problems. I woud think putting it up all the way would cause more problems than it would solve.

Tab0203

Leondexter said:

The bad:

On the topic of 16:9 "support": this game is using the bullshit cropping method, not actually rendering in 16:9.
I'm shocked that such a technically competent developer would use this kind of crappy shortcut, and then mess up the 2D overlay as well.
Thanks for the research.

dyls said:
... Also, the title screen is one of the best and most disturbing ever. They obviously were incredibly meticulous in capturing the various insects. And is it just me or are more insects added each time you finish a chapter?

Definitely a worthwhile experience, I just wish they had cleaned up some of the more obtuse aspects of movement and given more freedom to venture about, especially with the tarantula. The occasional stuttering is also a drag, and it sounds like the game is working the shit out of my Wii—the drive is going crazy much of the time. ...
Yup, the title screen is awesome.

Reg. disc drive. There's constant seeking during the title screen (FMV? Sound effects?), and it's fucking annoying. There are quite a few 3rd party games doing the exact same thing. COD, MOH and Boom Blox iirc.

edit

2443yc1.gif

18en8g.gif

pakkit

Banned
Tab0203 said:
Reg. disc drive. There's constant seeking during the title screen (FMV? Sound effects?), and it's fucking annoying. There are quite a few 3rd party games doing the exact same thing. COD, MOH and Boom Blox iirc.
Yeah it's loud as hell, but here there's definitely a ton of streaming going on, and keeping those little load breaks minimal. I appreciate streaming when its necessary. This game is damn beautiful, probably 3rd (for me) after Mario Galaxy, and MP3. I find it funny that someone complained about the bland colors because I thought they managed to make the colors pretty striking and keep the environments varied. There's a lot of attention to detail, and its so much fun to just look around the environment. I really appreciate games where the player is rewarded by checking out his surroundings.

This game is difficult too! I really hope it sells, because Rainbow Studios did amazingly well for a first effort, and I'd really like to see them cook up something else for the Wii.

Leondexter said:
On the topic of 16:9 "support": this game is using the bullshit cropping method, not actually rendering in 16:9.
Widescreen is not synonymous with "shows more than in 4:3". If the game looks correct when viewed on a 16:9 mode of a screen, it's rendered in 16:9. Well, other than the lazy incorrect HUD elements. If one mode shows more image than the other, it should be the version the game wasn't designed around, so nothing important becomes hidden from view. It only makes sense that as development in general shifts to 16:9, it's going to be the 4:3 versions that start showing the extra, rather than the reverse of last generation.

VAIL

Up to chapter 7 now, and this game needs people to buy it....a sequel would kick ass. I did have it hard lock 2x on me in chapter6, which kinda sucked.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Widescreen is not synonymous with "shows more than in 4:3". If the game looks correct when viewed on a 16:9 mode of a screen, it's rendered in 16:9. Well, other than the lazy incorrect HUD elements. If one mode shows more image than the other, it should be the version the game wasn't designed around, so nothing important becomes hidden from view. It only makes sense that as development in general shifts to 16:9, it's going to be the 4:3 versions that start showing the extra, rather than the reverse of last generation.

I couldn't disagree more. Supporting widescreen is not just a matter of deciding whether 4:3 will be cropped, or 16:9 will be. A good movie will use pan&scan to make both versions show a decent picture. In a game, you can render each one however you like. In this case, they could at least have pulled back the view a bit so the spider/scorpion is fully on-screen all the time.

As I said, this lazy cropping is inferior to what we'd have if they'd just not supported widescreen at all. You can get an inferior, cropped picture on your own, by simply using the zoom on your TV. And there's no excuse for the stretched HUD. They had to re-place the HUD over the cropped picture anyway, or it'd be off-screen.

sprocket

Banned
games like this is exactly why nintendo needs to out Wii demos online. It would help the sales of 3rd party games tremendously.

Penguin

I just got to the intro of the blood sucking mites...

Yeah not gonna bother with those people if they did that. :lol

kinggroin

Banned
Tab0203 said:
I'm at chapter 4. I love the atmosphere.

nffc3t.jpg

120mpsw.jpg

281y251.jpg

14csnrn.jpg

rtp5qe.jpg

2n8r7yc.jpg

nqppac.jpg

e80ak5.jpg

Same chapter; the game has definitely improved since the start.

Btw, if that's not your camera's fault, lower your sharpness a bit. The halos are pretty bad.

Apenheul

I'm at chapter 3 now. I must say that even though I'm not particularly fond of the repetitiveness of the battles I do like the atmosphere very much. It's like playing a Metroid Prime game from a different perspective. It's awe inspiring to just walk around, exploring the environment. Especially with the ability to walk on walls and (eventually) ceilings.

Tab0203

kinggroin said:
Same chapter; the game has definitely improved since the start.

Btw, if that's not your camera's fault, lower your sharpness a bit. The halos are pretty bad.
Yeah, that's mostly the camera and the fact that I still suck at taking (white balance etc.) pictures...

GC|Simon

So, I got my copy today and I played chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3 and finally chapter 4. The atmosphere is really great. The see the world "through the eyes" of a scorpion / tarantula is really something special. Graphics are fine, sound is great. The game is getting better with every chapter. So far, I love it really.

You should get this in case you don't have it yet!

CoolS

Up to chapter 5 now. These fucking lizards keep Kicking my ass. Need to figure out a better strategy to battle them. Oh, and I have NO idea how to beat the boss (midlevel boss?) in chapter 5. But it's awesome nonetheless, my tarantula just learned how to suck health out of enemys which are on their back :D

pakkit

Banned
CoolS said:
Up to chapter 5 now. These fucking lizards keep Kicking my ass. Need to figure out a better strategy to battle them. Oh, and I have NO idea how to beat the boss (midlevel boss?) in chapter 5. But it's awesome nonetheless, my tarantula just learned how to suck health out of enemys which are on their back :D
The Gila Monster? Just wait for him to start spitting blood and then, once he's spent run up close and lay down the law. It's awesome because the way to defeat him is completely different depending on which character you are.

This game is great because if you go into a battle unprepared or out of sorts, you can get completely demolished. For example, I was the scorpion and battled the tarantula and got completely manhandled. The next time I came in and was able to sting the shit out of him and the battle was over in less than half a minute.

Top Bottom