• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Deadly Creatures thread for arachnophobic gamers

I just can't get over the title screen. Every time I boot up the game, I have to sit and watch it until every creature goes by. They should put the title screen on a TV in stores, it would really be an attention-grabber.

I also just found out about a move I didn't realize I had. If the game told me, I missed it. As the spider, when you press C to aim a web, you can then press B to stop aiming and start moving around. When you release C, you'll still shoot the web, just straight in front of you. Or you can just tap C to shoot without aiming.

pakkit

Banned
Leondexter said:
I just can't get over the title screen. Every time I boot up the game, I have to sit and watch it until every creature goes by. They should put the title screen on a TV in stores, it would really be an attention-grabber.

I also just found out about a move I didn't realize I had. If the game told me, I missed it. As the spider, when you press C to aim a web, you can then press B to stop aiming and start moving around. When you release C, you'll still shoot the web, just straight in front of you. Or you can just tap C to shoot without aiming.
All the moves are listed in the pause menu. Pressing C to hit an enemy dead ahead of you is fun, reminds me of Spiderman
but this game is better

pakkit

Banned
Matt wasn't lying when he called the ending anticlimactic. Easily the most disappointing aspect of the game, especially since the final levels are so enthralling and easily the best designed in the game.

pakkit said:
Matt wasn't lying when he called the ending anticlimactic. Easily the most disappointing aspect of the game, especially since the final levels are so enthralling and easily the best designed in the game.

Yeah...the ending movie looked terrible, too. I almost wonder if it didn't play correctly. Did yours look all blurry and strange? Something rendered in-game would've looked better than that.

Still, this is a very nice addition to my game library. It stands out. I hope it does well enough for a sequel. I'd be totally up for playing as a centipede, or snake, or something.

pakkit

Banned
Leondexter said:
Yeah...the ending movie looked terrible, too. I almost wonder if it didn't play correctly. Did yours look all blurry and strange? Something rendered in-game would've looked better than that.
Yeah, it really stood out since everything else about the story was presented either in-game, or, in the intro, in a high-quality slide show. And then all of the sudden its like we went back to low quality Bink video from the Dreamcast era. I KNOW they could have done the result way more impressively in-game. This game got delayed 5 months, and the ending still gave me Red Steel deja-vu, when it comes to presentation. A sour note to end on, for sure, but it still was a very entertaining game, and the last two levels were still top-notch.

GC|Simon

I saw a few minutes ago the credits. I've to agree that the last sequence looked horrible. The game was really short. I played maybe around six hours. But yeah, it was a great experience. I didn't find many bugs in the last part of the games, and there were no "big" bugs (I don't mean animals this time, lol).

I think the game got with every level a little bit better. And then, the areas around the gas station, yeah, they were awesome.

To the story:
I'm not sure if I got all. The two people searched a treasure. They found one and the one man killed the other. Then the one man killed hisself by shooting at the gas station. Is this all? Anyway, it was awesome!

GC|Simon said:
and there were no "big" bugs (I don't mean animals this time, lol).

Oh, I had some big bugs. One of them was a game-stopper; I had to re-load my last save. I'll have videos of them on my site by tomorrow. The game definitely could've used a little more time and/or money to polish up a bit.

Ranger X

Leondexter said:
I'm playing it, on Chapter 3 now. I like it. A couple of observations:

The good:

This game's title screen is awesome! It's the coolest one I've seen since Metroid Prime 1. I sat and watched it for a good 10 minutes tonight.

The game is pretty good so far. The gestures work, but I found them just a bit hard to set off, even with the sensitivity all the way up. On the other hand, though, at least they never go off for no reason.

The bad:

On the topic of 16:9 "support": this game is using the bullshit cropping method, not actually rendering in 16:9. On top of that, the 2D menus and such are slapped onto the cropped "widescreen" area, but stretched. It's really annoying and stupid. Let me demonstrate.

This is a shot of the game with the Wii in 4:3 mode. Everything is good.

This is the exact same loaded area, without moving the spider at all, with the Wii in 16:9 mode. Note the properly rendered spider and environment, but the distorted oval-shaped A button prompt.

Also note that widescreen mode does not have a wider field of vision. Instead, it has a shorter one, so your actual view area is smaller, not larger. Like so:

If you sidebar the widescreen image, you get a horizontally squished picture, but anything 2D in the game--all the loading screens and menus, etc--will be unstretched, like the A button prompt in this sidebarred widescreen shot:

This is frustrating, because unlike a game that just doesn't support widescreen, just turning on the sidebars doesn't make the game display correctly. You have to set the Wii to 4:3 mode instead. I'd rather they did nothing. I'm shocked that such a technically competent developer would use this kind of crappy shortcut, and then mess up the 2D overlay as well.

Actually most Wii games are like that about the 2D layer. Most dev will NEVER bother making their 2D menu and hud in more than one size and actually trigger the right one depending how you set the game and/or the Wii...

I wish they would but it's extremely rare i've seen it done.

Ranger X said:
Actually most Wii games are like that about the 2D layer. Most dev will NEVER bother making their 2D menu and hud in more than one size and actually trigger the right one depending how you set the game and/or the Wii...

I wish they would but it's extremely rare i've seen it done.

They had to re-place the HUD anyway; otherwise it'd be off-screen thanks to their lazy cropping. It seems like it'd be little more work to do it right.

Also, they were so lazy about the 2D elements that they didn't even bother to re-draw the calibration screen that tells you to "change the aspect settings on the screen so that the 3 shapes below appear as squares". There is no 16:9 version of this screen, so anyone who uses it will think the game doesn't support widescreen. They'll end up playing on a top-bottom cropped, left-right compressed screen--as I believe was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Nitemare1

So after reading the thread I picked this up today. I'm really surprised how good it is.
Oh and I watched the interviews with Billy Bob and Denis Hopper. Those two guys are creepier than the insects IMHO! :|

Taxman

Got it yesterday. The first store I went to was sold out of it, so I hope that's a good sign. Walmart had a bunch. I'm very impressed with the title screen. I'm only into chapter 2, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Taxman

Would anybody be kind enough to record the title screen in full and put it up on youtube or something? It's so well done. I really want to show some of my friends but I don't have anything to record it with.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wait, so this game is actually pretty good and not only something decent gettin' praised by starved Wii fans (reviews weren't that favourable)?

Color me interested!

dyls

I was really feeling the scorpion over the tarantula because of the added combat moves and the finishers, until I got the
stealth attack for the spider. It's endlessly satisfying to take out an unsuspecting bug from thirty yards away.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
dyls said:
I was really feeling the scorpion over the tarantula because of the added combat moves and the finishers, until I got the
stealth attack for the spider. It's endlessly satisfying to take out an unsuspecting bug from thirty yards away.

So in the game you alternate between the two or just choose which one to go with for all the levels?

PBalfredo

I rented it and I'm liking it. It wasn't anything spectacular until I got to the level where you crawl up the saguaro cactus skeleton from the inside with the tarantula. That just won me over with what the game can do with scale and twisting level design. I'm definately preferring the tarantula. It's great taking out a rat with a stealth pounce followed by Feed. But man, fuck horny toads! They can block everything under the sun. I'd think the scorpion's charged venom stinger would guard crush, but not so.

I'm stuck on Ch 8
with the black widows. As soon as I make it through their web, I'm surrounded before I can move and immediately poisoned. The poison takes me down well before I can take out the 5+ spiders. Is there anyway to get rid of the poison sooner?

PBalfredo said:
I rented it and I'm liking it. It wasn't anything spectacular until I got to the level where you crawl up the saguaro cactus skeleton from the inside with the tarantula. That just won me over with what the game can do with scale and twisting level design. I'm definately preferring the tarantula. It's great taking out a rat with a stealth pounce followed by Feed. But man, fuck horny toads! They can block everything under the sun. I'd think the scorpion's charged venom stinger would guard crush, but not so.

I'm stuck on Ch 8
with the black widows. As soon as I make it through their web, I'm surrounded before I can move and immediately poisoned. The poison takes me down well before I can take out the 5+ spiders. Is there anyway to get rid of the poison sooner?

The poison should wear off in a few seconds. If you eat anything, like a cricket, it should stop then, too. My only real advice is to concentrate your attacks on one enemy at a time, especially as the scorpion, because doing a quick time event not only keeps other enemies from hurting you, it also gives you a slight health boost.

Okay, I genuinely jumped out of my seat last night.

*late game spoiler*

I think it was Chapter 8, where you're playing as the scorpion and you see them pulling the treasure out of the ground and Billy Bob says he's seen a dead lizard. And then you hear him get whacked, and you have to climb out near the Gila Monster, and...

I actually shouted 'wah!' and my wife was laughing for about five minutes solid before admitting she'd have done the same had she not been looking down at the laptop.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Hero of Canton said:
Okay, I genuinely jumped out of my seat last night.

*late game spoiler*

I think it was Chapter 8, where you're playing as the scorpion and you see them pulling the treasure out of the ground and Billy Bob says he's seen a dead lizard. And then you hear him get whacked, and you have to climb out near the Gila Monster, and...

I actually shouted 'wah!' and my wife was laughing for about five minutes solid before admitting she'd have done the same had she not been looking down at the laptop.

:lol I did the exact same thing tonight.

Flunkie

Banned
After playing the first chapter of this game, I don't want to go to bed. I keep feeling things on my legs and arms.

Taurus

Flunkie said:
After playing the first chapter of this game, I don't want to go to bed. I keep feeling things on my legs and arms.
This is why I won't propably buy this game, ever. I know I'd really like to support decent 3rd party efforts on Wii, but spiders... =:eek:

Mdk7

This game delivers!!

I'm really liking it, it gives you an amazing feeling of actually being a little (and lethal) creepy thing.
The atmosphere is really good, it truly makes you think there is a small and violent universe that creeps under our feet.

And the fatalities are GOOD: in that sense it reminds A LOT of God of War.

Support this little gem GAF!
This one totally deserves to sell some copies just like de Blob did...

The Hermit

After being disappointed with both de Blob (cool presentation, but TOO repetitive) and Mushroom Men( why did I even bought this crappy game) I decided to give a final opportunity to smaller 3rd parties...

And I am glad I did!
I am enjoying this game even more than Overkill... the sense of scale and reality beats every other game I´ve played including Pikmin and Chibi Robo.

The only shame is the lack of boss fights and the severely reduced number of insects. By the end of chapter 6 or 7 you have already met most if not all of them.
Also they should´ve kept the darker feel from the begging like (late game spoilers)
when the dead gila monster scream when you are near it and the baby doll head open its eye when you are about to climb it...

Knowing how even more awesome this game could have been breaks my heart though... :(

maxmars

Flunkie said:

Yeah I'm typing this while on the shitter and all I can think of is that damn menu screen.
Bought the game this evening, it's incredibly good. Looking at the screenshots I thought it could be boring, but I completed the first three chapter without even blinking. The animations are completely life like, bravo to the developers.

Flunkie

Banned
maxmars said:
Yeah I'm typing this while on the shitter and all I can think of is that damn menu screen.
Bought the game this evening, it's incredibly good. Looking at the screenshots I thought it could be boring, but I completed the first three chapter without even blinking. The animations are completely life like, bravo to the developers.
Oh, well then this won't help you much either:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352650

Haunted

That title screen is beyond awesome.

And by awesome I mean fucking terrifying. Same with the animation of most of the bugs/spiders/scorpions/insects in the game. Too lifelike for comfort.

Tab0203 said:
2443yc1.gif

18en8g.gif
Fucking terrifying.
I love it.

Haruspex said:
Damn you GAF! I will be picking this up as soon as it hits Europe, you folks love to bleed my wallet dry.
You mean last week?

Haunted said:
That title screen is beyond awesome.

Isn't it, though? I only wish it had a scorpion in it. Seriously, I can only think of one other title screen that I would just sit and stare at like I do with this one, and that's Metroid Prime.

pakkit

Banned
This game was so close to being absolutely brilliant, but its just a few shades short. You can tell they put a lot of effort into some parts of the game (the artistic/graphical execution, the controls), whereas other parts (the length, pacing, and ending) are a bit disappointing. I'm glad I supported it, but I'd really like to encounter more 3rd party Wii games that really hit it out of the park. Bravo to THQ for picking up this game, this and da Blob are hot shit.

Is anyone else having trouble finding this game in stores? I've been to at least 6 game/electronics-retailers in my area and can't seem to find it anywhere. Instead all I see is row upon row of obvious bullshit shovelware and the occational copy of Mario Galaxy and SSBB. Seriously, you have "Family Party: 30 Great Games" on your fucking shelve but to put a game like Deadly Creatures(a game that by all accounts actually DONT SUCK ASS) up on that bitch would be going way out of line.

Now maybe this just speaks to the quality of game-stores here in Sweden(or just in my sad excuse of a city) and it is indeed well distributed/stocked. If not though, it's a spit in the face of developers who actually try to create something worth playing. How are these games supposed to sell well if no chance is given?

maxmars

Haunted said:
Fucking terrifying.
I love it.

You should come here in late September. There's a delta of 15 degrees circa with august and by then most creatures try to infiltrate homes. I never understood why, but a precise variety of huge, brown spiders fucking LOVES to hug the porcelain goddess. At least twice I found 20 cm of arachnid mesmerized at the sight of my phallus. Luckily I'm not much into onanism, it would have been embarassing to say the least to masturbate furiously in front of a spider.. We'd both have needed to resort to years of therapy.

Oh by the way, I love the lizards in the game. Gila monster rocks.

My friend's house has a mild, ongoing infestation of scorpions. He played the game over the weekend and had a few complaints based on his up-close-and-personal real-life observations of the little bastards. Stuff like: "Dammit, why can't I crawl on this? Real scorpions can crawl anywhere!"

:lol

I'm a total bug & reptile lover myself, so I felt the same way sometimes. I'm also surprised that the title screen, which has such fantastic modelling and animation, has leopard lizards with vertical eye pupils (ie. cat eyes). I'm certain that they have round pupils in reality.

Haunted

maxmars said:
You should come here in late September. There's a delta of 15 degrees circa with august and by then most creatures try to infiltrate homes. I never understood why, but a precise variety of huge, brown spiders fucking LOVES to hug the porcelain goddess. At least twice I found 20 cm of arachnid mesmerized at the sight of my phallus. Luckily I'm not much into onanism, it would have been embarassing to say the least to masturbate furiously in front of a spider.. We'd both have needed to resort to years of therapy.

Oh by the way, I love the lizards in the game. Gila monster rocks.
Leondexter said:
My friend's house has a mild, ongoing infestation of scorpions. He played the game over the weekend and had a few complaints based on his up-close-and-personal real-life observations of the little bastards. Stuff like: "Dammit, why can't I crawl on this? Real scorpions can crawl anywhere!"

:lol
o_O

Remind me to never get anywhere near your houses.

bartris

Neo Member
Mithos said:
Absolutely LOVE this game.

One major drawback though.... It to damn short.

Deadly Creatures 2 please. :D

Damn I hope it sells well enough stateside to breathe life into a sequel. I really like the game too, and obviously, if it had maybe a few extra months to boil, it would have been perfect.

Number 31 on the Wii only charts in the UK spells soft sales, I hope it picks up by word of mouth, perhaps some retailer catalogues?

Here in Australia, Kmart advertised it on release for $59.95, a $20 saving, I picked up the last copy of which the sales person told me there were three.

Hopefully they order more.

The Hermit

About the "selling well" argument... what would the number in this case?

Also, I will be very surprised if it manages to sell what the developers are expecting.

bartris

Neo Member
Baiano19 said:
About the "selling well" argument... what would the number in this case?

Also, I will be very surprised if it manages to sell what the developers are expecting.

Id say considering their marketing=0 that 500,000 units sold lifetime would have to bring in some sort of profit.

In saying that, I think they still missed a huge boat with this, even pushing the game online is better then absolutely no push at all.

Some sort of Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper star in Deadly Creatures would have helped. But oh well....

dyls

bartris said:
Id say considering there marketing=0 that 500,000 units sold lifetime would have to bring in some sort of profit.

In saying that, I think they still missed a huge boat with this, even pushing the game online is better then absolutely no push at all.

Some sort of Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper star in Deadly Creatures would have helped. But oh well....

Yeah, one would think if you're going to pay for that kind of voice talent (couldn't have been cheap) you would want to let people know. There's a video with them on the Nintendo channel, but who knows how many people see that. Here's hoping word of mouth gets the sales going.

pakkit

Banned
dyls said:
Yeah, one would think if you're going to pay for that kind of voice talent (couldn't have been cheap) you would want to let people know. There's a video with them on the Nintendo channel, but who knows how many people see that. Here's hoping word of mouth gets the sales going.
Why did they go for such high-quality voice acting when all the actors have, at most, 20 lines of dialogue throughout the game?

I would have preferred that money go towards
that awful FMV
or beefing up the adventure. It was kind of novel to hear such recognizable voices, I guess.

bartris

Neo Member
pakkit said:
Why did they go for such high-quality voice acting when all the actors have, at most, 20 lines of dialogue throughout the game?

I would have preferred that money go towards
that awful FMV
or beefing up the adventure. It was kind of novel to hear such recognizable voices, I guess.

Even though they are major talent, for the little bit of dialogue that there is, it was probably still very cheap.

GDGF

Soothsayer
bartris said:
Even though they are major talent, for the little bit of dialogue that there is, it was probably still very cheap.

As movie actors, they're both members of the SAG (screen actors guild) but if the SAG has no say in the video game industry, they could have done the work for a low price, and probably would have agreed to it just for the exposure.

Top Bottom