• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Democrat 2020 Primary thread: Candidates, Statistics, and Overview [updated regularly.]

Voost Kain

Daily Mail headline writer
Jun 6, 2015
Here are the 15 main candidates that have ANNOUNCED runs that have at least more than 1% on polls in at least 4 polls from 4 different states. These are the candidates so far, that you will likely be seeing at the first debate. These 15 are running for the 2020 Democratic Primary nomination.

Below are some further details as well as the names of the candidates who have pushed out their announcements:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(<New latest announcement guy)​

Names from Left to right:

• Elizabeth Warren
  • Amy Klobuchar
  • Kamala Harris
  • Kristen Gillibrand
  • Marianne Williamson
  • Andrew Yang
  • Tulsi Gabbard
  • John Delaney
  • Julian Castro
  • Pete Buttigeig
  • Cory Booker
  • Michael Arth
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Jay Inslee
  • John Hickenlooper

Progressive-Diversity-Inclusiveness spectrum statistics:

-6 Womens
-6 mens
-2 Black Americans
-1 Indian
-2 Hispanics
-1 Asian
-1 LGBT
-1 communist
-2 Bald guys
-7 candidates with more than $1 million in "spare" cash.
-15 total candidates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More are considering so we may have as many as 17 minimum or 20 maximum before the date of the first debate. It is already expected that the debates will take a note from the 2016 GOP primary and split the candidates in two different debates based on their polling percentages. Otherwise known as the "kids table" for those that poll in lower numbers.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
The only person out of this group that I would consider voting for is Tulsi Gabbard. I would vote Trump against Booker (he is the Ted Cruz of the Democrats) and Gillibrand (I will never forgive what she did to Franken), and I really don't trust Harris. Warren is dead on arrival, though I like her. Everyone else I am pretty meh about.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
Klobuchar, Harris, Gillibrand, and Booker have no business anywhere remotely near a Presidential primary and the fact they are is a testament to how much our politics has decayed and how thin the Democratic bench is heading into this election.

Like Cybrwzrd posted,the only one I could see myself voting for is Gabbard, although I would love for Bernie and Biden to make their cases. 10-15 years ago, I would have been all about Warren, but we just don't live in that world anymore.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
I think you'll be adding a 13th major contender tonight OP.

TrainedRage

Feb 3, 2018
USA
The only one I like is Andrew Yang. I would vote for him.

He has some legit good ideas.

Last edited:

Dontero

Apr 19, 2018
Tutsi and Yang so far seems to be best candidates. I know someone posted above sam interview with Yang and here is Rogan interview as well. Dude is legit, he has radical ideas but near direct future will be radical and something must be done about it.

God Enel

Mar 26, 2011
I have no idea who’s „good“ and knows what’s up and who doesn’t.
But just from the looks I would vote for yang or tulsi gabbard (I think she’s hot). Are they „votable“? That’s my gut feeling. (BTW non American here)

Voost Kain

Daily Mail headline writer
Jun 6, 2015
So is Bernie the only guy I need to add to the list or am I missing someone else?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Of the current lot, Bernie, Tulsie, Andrew have the best chance of beating Trump. But not necessarily winning the Democratic Party primary.

If it's anyone else, get ready for 4 more years (probably).

btgorman

Jul 26, 2009
The only one I'd consider voting for is Tulsi. However, there are some slight problems with her. Her stance on economics is non-existent and she does pander a little too much for LGBT, "social justice," etc. type of things.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
He is not even in my top 3 preffered candidates but Bernie is outraising the fuck out of everyone.

He's dangerous.

Badenergytroll

Aug 28, 2007
Bill Gates was on Colbert saying he wasn't going to run. If Bill was elected, i could see him being the next Jimmy Carter.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Bernie Bro for life here. will entertain other Dem candidates but he's the only one with the history of actually fighting the fight. everyone else so far seems to be bandwagon jumpers and not particularly good at it.

danielberg

Neophyte
Jun 20, 2018
Hmm not sure if Bernie or Biden would work for the simple reason that they are white men and this will lose them votes with the extreme ends of the democrat base.
I think the best chance has kamala harris she has the establishment behind her, is a clinton type establishment politician but she also somehow managed to wrap the far left side around her finger.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
that they are white men and this will lose them votes with the extreme ends of the democrat base
i don't think so. are minorities are going to vote Trump instead? i don't believe it. they repeatedly turn out and overwhelmingly vote Democrat. time and time again. we have the data. if they are on the extreme, then removing Trump is their #1 priority, they will vote for whoever. IMO it's similar to how Clinton held minority votes hostage in 2016. she didn't have to promise a thing, didn't have to address her crummy history at all, just cos she knew there was nowhere else to go.

IMO all that nonsense is the media distorting things. the media pretends to represent minority voices but in reality those are where it is the most detached from. mainstream media is there to represent moneyed interests, and portraying a false version of fickle minorities is part of that agenda. they promote the voices that tow the company line and people are fooled into thinking that the company line is what minorities think. lol as if CNN or NBC or any giant media empire knows that.

Last edited:

Dontero

Apr 19, 2018
Hmm not sure if Bernie or Biden would work for the simple reason that they are white men and this will lose them votes with the extreme ends of the democrat base.
I think the best chance has kamala harris she has the establishment behind her, is a clinton type establishment politician but she also somehow managed to wrap the far left side around her finger.
As per usuall people forget that US isn't minority nation but majority white. White people are from what i see the most liberal out of all races in US. So going for white people is winning strategy.
Any normal non race bating party would have in pocket win.

It still eludes me why US doesn't have more than 2 parties. Everytime i watch Jimmy Doore and few other progressives they always talk about it but never any of them discuss for real starting new party.

I am from Poland and just in last 2-3 months new party popped up and got instantly like 10% of votes.

It is like they watch only for next 4 years and don't consider anything long therm. Can't win next elections ? Don't even bother to start mentality.

But i guess this is kind of US mentality and you can see it with their sports. Everything needs to be instant, can't have 30 minutes without scoring anything.

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
Really looking forward to the primaries, but are there any candidates that have put up a platform of some sorts? Or is it currently just running on publicity and attention? I just checked out Tulsi Gabbard's website and it didn't show anything. So are there any who have?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Really looking forward to the primaries, but are there any candidates that have put up a platform of some sorts? Or is it currently just running on publicity and attention? I just checked out Tulsi Gabbard's website and it didn't show anything. So are there any who have?
Platform is for the primaries.

Also, I wager most of the Democratic candidates (and some of the Republican challengers) had to scrub Russiagate out of their 2020 bid which left a big open space of nothingness.

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
Platform is for the primaries.

Also, I wager most of the Democratic candidates (and some of the Republican challengers) had to scrub Russiagate out of their 2020 bid which left a big open space of nothingness.
Well, they've almost all announced their run and they're all talking about various things willy-nilly. So I'd kind of expect a platform to know why people should vote for x candidate, even small points about their main aims. Even Trump in his candidacy announcement did have a few main aims he wanted to accomplish (CHYYYNA! :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Well, they've almost all announced their run and they're all talking about various things willy-nilly. So I'd kind of expect a platform to know why people should vote for x candidate, even small points about their main aims. Even Trump in his candidacy announcement did have a few main aims he wanted to accomplish (CHYYYNA! :messenger_tears_of_joy:)
You'll have to look at the candidates who are talking to the press. I'm seeing Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard show up on Fox News, Jimmy Dore, Joe Rogan, Ben Shapiro, etc to get their platform out there. The other Democrats seem to be playing the PR game on traditional news stations and that's about it.

Let's not forget that leveraging social media (especially Twitter) played a big role in Pres. Trump getting his name out there and ultimately winning the presidency.

RokkanStoned

Jan 14, 2018
Norway
The other Democrats seem to be playing the PR game on traditional news stations and that's about it.
Yeah, my god, the "reparations" thing going on there is not looking good. Sanders had a much more relevant and functional suggestion, which is deal with the economic unfairness (depending on your perspective) by granting opportunity to those who are socioeconomically disfavored. You know, what usually is the democrat platform and appeals to disadvantaged people of all "colors". Of course, he's getting lambasted for that.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Yeah, my god, the "reparations" thing going on there is not looking good. Sanders had a much more relevant and functional suggestion, which is deal with the economic unfairness (depending on your perspective) by granting opportunity to those who are socioeconomically disfavored. You know, what usually is the democrat platform and appeals to disadvantaged people of all "colors". Of course, he's getting lambasted for that.
I don't think a Dem candidate with sensible and strong economic ideas will be the one to win their primary, which is just another way of saying that I don't think the Dems have a chance of winning 2020 when they're going to be faced with "Trump's economy" at the debate pedestal.

Dabaus

Apr 23, 2018
I predict the democrat nominee will be crazy bernie. I beleive this because:

-He has a real, tangible following and fanbase among democrats
-He is raising large sums of cash already
-Has a high name recognition
-Biden, who is currently # 1 in polls is gaffe machine and its obvious the dem establishment is already trying to take him down.
-Is up against a well funded and crowded field, will be difficult for someone to establish second place
-Feels cheated about 2016 and will be much more prepared and vindictive
-Pretty good at getting headlines

With all that said, if he is the nominee he will get blown out of the water in the general election.

Reactions: SpartanN92

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
With all that said, if he is the nominee he will get blown out of the water in the general election.
Nope. Trump won mostly because he took the blue wall right from under Hillary's nose because she had such crappy messaging towards the working class. Bernie's messaging is stronger than Trump's in that regard. If this were 2016, Bernie would win hands down. In 2020, however, Bernie's obstacle will be Trump's incumbancy and how well the economy is doing.

SpartanN92

Sep 7, 2012
US
I predict the democrat nominee will be crazy bernie. I beleive this because:

-He has a real, tangible following and fanbase among democrats
-He is raising large sums of cash already
-Has a high name recognition
-Biden, who is currently # 1 in polls is gaffe machine and its obvious the dem establishment is already trying to take him down.
-Is up against a well funded and crowded field, will be difficult for someone to establish second place
-Feels cheated about 2016 and will be much more prepared and vindictive
-Pretty good at getting headlines

I agree with everything in this post.