• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doom 3 Topic. (ALL POSTS ON THE GAME HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
shot00046.jpg

I'm stuck there. Thats after the monorail ride with the scientist that talks about how his friend went out. I listened to all my pdas, and still i cant find the code.

This really sucks

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doom_Bringer said:
"you can play around with the specular term in the line

PARAM specExp = { 16, 0, 0, 0 };

try 12 or 8 instead of 16"

you are suppose to change the number to 12 or 8 instead of 16! I used 12, no more artifacting for me ^_^

I MAY have just found a glitch with this technique...

It seems to work perfectly on every level I have tried EXCEPT Communication. My flashlight is broken on that level. Initially, the beam of light appears...but is flashing. After a short while, it no longer creates ANY light at all.

EVERY other level I have tried works perfectly, and all other dynamic lights in Comm work as well...but my light beam is messed up.

edit - Actually, it does not even seem to be related to that little "fix". What is going on? The flashlight simply does not work properly in the communication map...and I have no idea why!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Pentium 4: 2.4 GHz
512 MB ram
Intel Extreme Graphics 2

^^^
Will it run on my system?

dark10x

Gahiggidy said:
512 MB ram
Intel Extreme Graphics 2

^^^

It would probably run...but not very well. The CPU and ram are fine, but that on-board video has got to go.

AirBrian

Alright, just picked up a 9800 pro. So I'm running:

XP 3200+
1 GB RAM
9800 PRO 128 MB

Out of the box Doom would go black/quit and go to the desktop. I updated to Catalyst 4.7 and everything runs fine now.

The game runs beautifully on high @ 1024x768. Occassionally, I get a slight hickup/stutter but nothing that hinders gameplay. I'm not a PC gamer, so sorry for all the noob questions, but...

1) How much will AA affect gameplay/performance? I'm using 2x right now and really didn't notice that much improvement to 4x. Is there like a rule of thumb?

2) What is v-sync and should I enable it? I tried it and also didn't notice much improvements on graphics and performance.

nubbe

Gahiggidy said:
512 MB ram
Intel Extreme Graphics 2

My work computer has similar specs
It will probably look like this and run in 30 FPS

shot00006.jpg

Compared to a real graphics
shot00002.jpg

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Oh, well. I guess I'll just wait for the GameCube version.

xabre

Banned
Well the framerate with 2xAA and 8xAF was bearable until i got up to the
hell guardian boss (amazing boss, but the bastard seems pretty tough)
, now it's really gone to hell. Guess I’ll have to remove that fancy crap, at least until I progress.

Slo

Timedemo 1:

1024x768 on Hi, 2xAA 4xAF: 27.8 fps
1024x768 on Hi, 0xAA 0xAF: 31.9 fps
1024x768 on Med, 2xAA 4xAF: 32.5 fps
800x600 on Hi, 2xAA 4xAF: 37.5 fps

AMD 2100+ XP
Asus A78NX
1 GB PC3200 (running at 266mhz :( )
128 mb 9800 Pro (4.9 beta cats)

Smidget

shuri said:
I'm stuck there. Thats after the monorail ride with the scientist that talks about how his friend went out. I listened to all my pdas, and still i cant find the code.

This really sucks

Take notice there is not only PDA but TEXT EMAIL files with information in them. It's right below the audio files on the top left side of the PDA. This is the first place you needed to look for them, pain in the ass.

SaitoH

Stepped out the entrance to Delta labs 4, looked at the walls and said, "I'm done for the night."

I'm such a chicken.

^w^

Uh.....so NOBODY knows if you can use a gamepad then? I'm demon-food with the mouse/keyboard setup. I have made it to Alpha Labs sector 3 so far....

xabre

Banned
Stepped out the entrance to Delta labs 4, looked at the walls and said, "I'm done for the night."

If the game is one thing it's evil. I'm on the level after that and things are even more evil.

marsomega

I've been really having problems with the last two delta lab sectors and the last areas after that. (Hell didn't give me any porblems.) At every door I get horrible slow down. I unzipped the pk files and deleted the old ones. During play its fine but at doors its horrible. It pauses and I only hear the door open and then I get 5 fps for 5 seconds. Whats worse, reloading a save or going to a new sector is now an effort in frustration. IT TAKES FOREVER...Don't know whats going on. This all started in the Delta Labs sector 2.

Talk about double freaky. The dark corridors where the specimen is your only source of light was intense. By the way, they told me the office of such and such in the delta labs owns if you get in or what not (its also optional). What office was this?

Forget the haters, game has been getting better and better for me.

I'm now mostly desensitized to the game's horrors. I have made it to Communications (right after Alpha Labs) and am rolling right through the game now like a man without fear. It probably helps that I've got a ton of plasma ammo though. :)

I don't know how to do spoiler tags, so if you haven't gotten out of Communications (after Alpha Labs) yet, stop reading.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Like I said, I haven't been real scared lately, but there have been a few tricks now and then that really catch me off gaurd and creep the hell outta me. There was one part where bloody footsteps appeared and a voice said "follow me" and then "come here". I of course said, "fuck you" and went the opposite direction. I read on Gamefaqs later that I missed a nifty little scene where the screen goes red again. Oh well. But that part freaked me out. The times like that where you haven't had any encounters in a while and they start using the mindfuck tactics, those are where the game rocks my world. I'm having fun playing it and shooting horde after horde of demon, but the best parts are when the game plays with you. There was another part where I entered a room and there was this loud banging coming from the other side of the room. In fact, the whole room shook when it happened. The lights would go out/red for a second each time it hit too. So I investigate further and find this door is down a flight of steps with some corpses around it and a whole lot of blood all over the place. So naturally I go everywhere else in the room first and then end up coming face to face with the door. When I tried to open it, what happened? BAM! This ugly creature bursts its head through the door and roars at me. Weirdest of all, this voice starts talking to me in what sounds like Latin. Then the voice stops and the door closes. Creepy and puzzling all at once. THAT's what I love about this game. It is composed of the unexplainable.

IJoel

Man, I've tweaked the hell out of the game and I'm amazed at how smooth it runs, considering how amazing it looks.

I'm able to get about 28.2 in the demo with: 1024x768/High Detail/16X AF/ 0X AA .

This is with an Athlon64 3200+/ATI 9600XT/1GB RAM.

R0X!

Yeah, the game gets less scary torwards the end of alpha labs, but i just entereted delta labs and i think the last few hours or so have been by far the scariest so far.

suikodan

It's the first time a game actually "forced" me to upgrade my PC. I have a P4 2.4 with 512Mb of RAM with a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 but I was finding the game choppy, even with some extra tweaking. I have a LCD screen so anything lower than 1280x1024 looks pixelated to death and this game was no exception. It was running as low as 8 fps in the Alpha labs when you jump from platform to platform with the tubes circling around to make you fall.

Well, I bought a Radeon 9800 Pro and was clocking a good 25 fps in the same scene, in 1024x768!!! It's all good! And the fighting isn't choppy anymore!

However, I noticed this:

doom.jpg

doom2.jpg

doom3.jpg

Notice how the box is shiny and that the characters are split up in lighting? I don't think this is normal, any tweaks I could use to turn it back to normal?

This game is too cool. I'm going to try the headphones and dark lights combo now! Enjoy the game!

shpankey

not an idiot
Playing more tonight and man, this game scared the shit out of me again lol. What I find cool is how the game keeps finding a new way to fuck with me. Sometimes it's jump out and scare you, sometimes it's open a door and a monster is right there, sometimes its the lights going out, or hearing voices, they just continually mentally rape you. I have to take breaks sometimes just to get brave enough to continue lol.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Blah blah blah... More pics!

I was using medium quality for this one...
edit: Whoa, I just noticed the imp's hand being shadowed to the right!
shot00002.jpg

Switched to high quality from here on...
shot00007.jpg

shot00008.jpg

shot00013.jpg

shot00014.jpg

shot00019.jpg

I think this part was mentioned earlier...
shot00022.jpg

Not bad considering I'm running it on:
Athlon XP 2000+
512MB pc-2100 Ram
RX9800 pro 128mb

dark10x

DaCocoBrova said:
I need to toggle my show_fps. I keep forgetting.

Do you still think Far Cry runs better?

I've done even more tweaking, and I'm getting 60 fps more often than not and it NEVER dips as low as FC did...

FC varies too heavily...

Sometimes, it runs really well...but other times, it chugs down to 20 fps and starts to feel laggy. Running around certain areas in the archives with your flashlight absolutely destroys the framerate at times...

Just picked up the plasma rifle, and am fighting those flaming heads...Those things are hard! So yeah, so far I think one of the best things visually that I've seen are the animations in a mirror...Go stand in a mirror, and pull out all your weapons, one by one, and watch your character in the mirror. Try reloading them too! Now THAT is polish!

mattx5

Damnit, I can't believe that I still haven't gotten the game!

I really wanna see how it runs on my x800 :(

...... to the store!

Neo_ZX

I saw an x800 at my computer store. $605 Canadian. :( Hopefully I can get my friend to bring some over from Pakistan. Damn customs might think we're building a missle system though.

dark10x

Heh, I tried out the E1M1 conversion...and man, it is VERY unoptimized. It was clearly thrown together as a quick test. There are even big holes in the level (gaps in the walls and such)...

Some shots...

shot00003.jpg

shot00005.jpg

shot00006.jpg

shot00007.jpg

Kon Tiki

Banned
Dark, how do you run that?

Put it in base? or in root as a mod?

Do you start new game?

Do you load the mod, and play multi?

dark10x

Put the pak file into the base folder and type "map e1m1" into the console (obviously, you replace "e1m1" with the name of whatever map you are trying to load).

tenchir

Looks like the tweak that was posted on Beyond3d forum pretty much gives me free 16x AF. It only gives me 1-2 frames at first, but you will notice the difference immediately once you enabled AF though CP.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
RANT

This is nitpicky... But I'm interested in learning what the technique is called.

Remember how in Quake 2, if you fired a rocket down a dark hallway, the rocket would illuminate the surroundings in it's path of travel. As robust as the lighting engine is, I'm truly amazed that Doom3 doesn't have that. Or does it...

What's the technique called anyway?

Do you still think Far Cry runs better?

For what's being rendered, hell yes... Think about it for a sec. For Doom3 to be 95% corridor, the performance is pretty sh!tty. For me, Far Cry...while rendering massive environments never drops below 45, but stays well over 60fps most of the time.

I'm too busy just playing Doom3 to really go all out and tweak it. I haven't even extracted the .pak files as I'm content w/ the current game performance.

dark10x

DaCocoBrova said:
RANT

This is nitpicky... But I'm interested in learning what the technique is called.

Remember how in Quake 2, if you fired a rocket down a dark hallway, the rocket would illuminate the surroundings in it's path of travel. As robust as the lighting engine is, I'm truly amazed that Doom3 doesn't have that. Or does it...

What's the technique called anyway?

For what's being rendered, hell yes... Think about it for a sec. For Doom3 to be 95% corridor, the performance is pretty sh!tty. For me, Far Cry...while rendering massive environments never drops below 45, but stays well over 60fps most of the time.

I'm too busy just playing Doom3 to really go all out and tweak it. I haven't even extracted the .pak files as I'm content w/ the current game performance.

First of all, the slowest parts in Far Cry were the indoor segments...

The outdoor segments pretty much disabled a lot of the more advanceed lighting techniques and rely more on your CPU while the indoor segments rely on your GPU. The two areas are VERY different. I have found that Far Cry runs great outdoors (~60 fps a lot of the time...though certainly not always), but many indoor locations can chug pretty hard (as low as 15-20 fps with the flashlight enabled). When displaying similar areas, Doom 3 performs much better than FC. So, you simply have to remember what those outdoor areas are actually doing in comparison to indoors.

Of course, Far Cry looks like shit in motion when compared to Doom 3. It's all about animation.

That lighting you speak of in Quake 2 is nothing more than regular per-vertex dynamic lighting. Doom 3 handles lighting a very different fashion AND casts shadows along with it. It could be enabled in Doom 3, of course...and with rockets, it probably would perform just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom