• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doom 3 Topic. (ALL POSTS ON THE GAME HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
How do you enable it?

As far as Far Cry, I'm going to be objective about this and just play the games back to back. I do not recall this performance disparity between indoor/outdoor segments as that would've annoyed me. The only time the frame rate was an issue was during the final scene w/ all those big dudes launnching rockets. That was pretty choppy, but other than that...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It is probably a mod and it probably exists. I know there is a mod for the plasma gun, so I'm sure there is also one for the rocket launcher. Like the self-shadows and every other little addition people have made, these dynamic lights must be added. Obviously, there were performance concerns. With the plasma gun, it causes some SERIOUS slowdown when enabled due to the number of blasts on the screen...but rockets are singular, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just browse through the massive list of new mods. :p

Well, load up The Archives in Far Cry and compare that to any outdoor map. Walk into that room where you drop down into the water (but don't drop) and shine your light around the map. My framerate takes a massive hit. Most of the time, indoors were fine...but they still failed to match Doom 3's performance. I also had to disabled v-sync on FC, but I use it with Doom 3. Of course, part of the problem is that I am only using a Radeon 9700 Pro...so perhaps Doom 3 is simply much more friendly for lower end graphics cards. FC runs very decently, but Doom 3 runs GREAT.

Kon Tiki

Banned
seta g_projectileLights "1"
seta g_muzzleFlash "1"
Those are the on/off switches for the rocket lights. If you want to change the intensity of the light, you need to modify a script file I assume.

dark10x

Society said:
Those are the on/off switches for the rocket lights. If you want to change the intensity of the light, you need to modify a script file I assume.

Well, I guess it is easier than I thought. :p

shpankey

not an idiot
shuri said:
shot00046.jpg

I'm stuck there. Thats after the monorail ride with the scientist that talks about how his friend went out. I listened to all my pdas, and still i cant find the code.

This really sucks

I think it's 826, if not try either 246 or 483. Or maybe it's 0508 or 931? One of those should work (serious).

I'm currently headed through the Monorail place, to meet up with...Those two guys, I forget their names. Yes, I chose to disobey orders.

I have a question...Is there any time, in which you need to switch to disc 2 or disc 3 during gameplay? Or are the three disks used only for installation?

dark10x

ToyMachine228 said:
I'm currently headed through the Monorail place, to meet up with...Those two guys, I forget their names. Yes, I chose to disobey orders.

I have a question...Is there any time, in which you need to switch to disc 2 or disc 3 during gameplay? Or are the three disks used only for installation?

The discs are only used for installation. In fact, disc 1 is ONLY used for copy protection checking...not for actual data streaming. All data is on your HD.

So I could like...Install it...Let a friend borrow all three disks, and install it...Let him keep one of the disks, and he could play too? Or does Doom 3 recognize CD Keys?

Kon Tiki

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
So I could like...Install it...Let a friend borrow all three disks, and install it...Let him keep one of the disks, and he could play too? Or does Doom 3 recognize CD Keys?

You both need cd 1.

I'm in the caverns now...I'm really shocked how long this game is going. This thing is massive.

As a side note, about hell...

The whole hell level was done magnificently. Between the incredible animations of the environment to the immersion to just the downright evilness....probably the most mindblowing level I've played in a fps. It's just incredible how densely packed with detail it was. And I'm also liking how the base is slowly turning into hell aswell, that is quite cool. And JC wasn't kidding when he said the best graphics were in the hell areas. It's completely astounding looking.

I just can't get over how evil the game is. I wasn't sure what route id would go, but they clearly demonstrated with this game they do the whole "evil/satanic" thing better than anyone else. It never feels cheesy or dumb.

EekTheKat

This is nitpicky... But I'm interested in learning what the technique is called.

First yes, you need to turn on projectile lights.

That's what the plasma light mod sort of does - adds a light source to projectiles. There's one for the rocket as well.

It involves changing a few lines in the weapon def files. The shaders for the lights were missing.

It kills framerate heavily though, but man is it cool looking.

Here's a link to the thread at B3D:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14907

EekTheKat said:
First yes, you need to turn on projectile lights.

That's what the plasma light mod sort of does - adds a light source to projectiles. There's one for the rocket as well.

It involves changing a few lines in the weapon def files. The shaders for the lights were missing.

It kills framerate heavily though, but man is it cool looking.

Here's a link to the thread at B3D:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14907

Just tried this, and it's quite cool. Not nearly the performance hit that I expected (and I'm running an x300 se (that's slow edition...incase you werent sure...so a crippled version of an already sup par card). I had a battle with some imps that was pretty cool with tons of lights flying around everywhere.

One thing I've noticed though, it may be my imagination (or just inability to spot it quick enough), but the projectile lights don't seem to cast any shadows aside fromt he bfg. It may just be that I can't tell, though, as the bfg both moves quite slow, and puts off alot of light. Makes it easier to see the shadows.

Anyway, very cool little tweak.

marsomega

Alright I finished the game. The game got so much better. The final boss.
Truely magnificant; while it took a few tries, I still kept fighting him over and over to just admire the beast. Out of the different bosses, Sarge was the biggest disappointment. All the bosses didn't seem dumb like most people said the AI was. But Sarge didn't have any AI to begin with. He just followed a pattern. All he did was shoot a BFG shot and then rolled acrossed the area trying to hurt you physically with his robotic arm. However, this was so scripted, that even if you were on the side, he would ride across like if you were in the middle trying to hit you. The BFG shots hurt all enemies, however if this weren't the case, you could probably just stand in one of the rooms that opens up and just watch him roll around the room talking crap and trying to hit nobody...Such a shame, he looked awesome, like helllraiser's best design except even better..He didn't even get a cut scene, so after he's dead you have to go up and admire him dead...What a shame.

If you haven't gotten passed the "level most evil" then this is a mega spoiler. If you have, this is lil tiny spoiler. Hmm technically it isn't but just incase.
When you receive the soul cube, it tells you that the final boss can only be beaten with it. Since you need to kill 5 demons to charge it up, its obvious that while fighting the final boss there will be other demons to kill to charge the soul cube. Playing the final boss, made me wish there was a mode or level where you just ran around a large area blasting demons. As oppose to being scared most of the time, I had a so much fun fighting the last boss. I ran around blasting the demons with my rocket launcher as I charged up the soul cube to slice up the boss. Man was it fun watching demon bodies flip and flop all over as either my rocket or the final bosses rocket blew them up into the air. The physics really shined and left and right demons flew and hit against rocks.

DaCocoBrova

Doom3High1024NS9800128.jpg

This is on high quality @ 1024*768. I hover around the 60fps mark around 90% of the time.

I don't know the Far Cry commands, but I assume there's a show FPS equivalent...

I'm about to fight that boss...It's the thing that's like the babies...But way bigger, and with tentacles in it's mouth...I killed the first one with the chain gun pretty quickly and was like wow...Then another one came out, and I pulled the rocket launcher...Got off 4 shots, and didn't kill it. Chaingun was easier.

And man, you guys know...Those of you who have played this far at least...What it does to you mentall to turn a baby into a blood smear on the floor? Freaky shit.

dark10x

DaCocoBrova said:
I was told that it's incredibly inaccurate.

Well, I don't really NEED an aid...as I can generally tell framerates on my own (yes, even off-numbers). That said, FRAPS reports the SAME numbers that Doom 3's in game counter does...so, at least in that case, there are no problems.

EekTheKat

Okay regarding the Plasma Gun Light mod not casting shadows :

I found a fix for it. The new version now has a plasma rifle (with an overdone glow effect to enhance the whole deal) and it casts shadows now. I'll check if the rocket launcher can do the same thing.

Going to see if I can mod it for the rocket launcher I guess. I'll see if I can put it up on the web somewhere or if anyone wants I can try to send it to them I guess.

SaitoH

I downloaded the glow mod, but it doesn't do anything. Do I have to add a line in my autoexec.cfg to activate it? I already have this:

seta g_projectileLights "1"
seta g_muzzleFlash "1"

*shrugs*

Kon Tiki

Banned
did you put it in base?

If you extracted the pk4 files you must also extract the mod. Be sure to back up the files you over write.

SaitoH

Ah ...

I extracted the pk4 files, but not the mod. Have to wait till I get off work to try it out though.

Thankee-sai.

Gantz

Banned
Anyone run into this glitch? I ran into it several times in the beginning of the game where corpses would just suddenly levitate and just flail around on the screen.

dark10x

Gantz said:
Anyone run into this glitch? I ran into it several times in the beginning of the game where corpses would just suddenly levitate and just flail around on the screen.

You sure that is a glitch? There are scenes where that occurs (though they don't happen often).

Sander

Society said:
Wow. A lot better than mine. You mess with the anything else?
Standard HQ settings. Resized from 1024x768.

dark10x said:
Damn, what kind of performance hit did that have?
Don't have any numbers since I couldn't remember the showfps command anymore (different in every id game ugh :p), otherwise I would have included the counter. Haven't tried playing with the mod, just took some shots. Felt sluggish though :)

showfps command is com_showfps 1

----------------------------------------------------
Just beat the game

The thank you at the end from id was nice...incase you didn't see it...it's in the room just before the last boss, look to the other side of the room, and you'll see a clickable brick that says "id" on it. Not sure if it's required to get to the boss or not, but it was cool. The last boss was pretty good, not fantastic, but very good. The ending was pretty great i thought. Sure it wasn't very long, but it tied up everything nicely and was enjoyable.

I'd have to say this overtook ninja gaiden as my goty. I don't forsee it being beaten unless halo 2 is a quantum leap over it's predecessor, but that remains to be seen. As for now, this is simply the best single player fps ever created imo, and will likely remain that way for some time.

IJoel

morbidaza said:
showfps command is com_showfps 1

----------------------------------------------------
Just beat the game

I'd have to say this overtook ninja gaiden as my goty. I don't forsee it being beaten unless halo 2 is a quantum leap over it's predecessor, but that remains to be seen. As for now, this is simply the best single player fps ever created imo, and will likely remain that way for some time.

HURRICANE PACK BITCH!

:p

Kon Tiki

Banned
Sander said:
Standard HQ settings. Resized from 1024x768.

Don't have any numbers since I couldn't remember the showfps command anymore (different in every id game ugh :p), otherwise I would have included the counter. Haven't tried playing with the mod, just took some shots. Felt sluggish though :)

Wow, the lighting is leagues ahead of mine.

dark10x

BTW Sander, are you simply using the light mod (v2) available on Beyond 3D? I would like to try that out myself when I get home as it looks very slick.

DaCocoBrova

shot00586.jpg

What gun is that? Does the mod change the weapon model as well?

Sergenth

This happens whenever you kill a monster that is standing directly in a door, especially imps. They just dissolve in mid air and vibrate like mad! Scary!

DaCocoBrova

Is there no FOV command?

I find it makes quite a difference as far as gameplay goes. Many sections seem to use an exaggerated FOV to make small rooms look bigger.

Sander

Did some minor FPS testing in that illuminated blue hallway DCB quoted. In that position when not firing I'm getting ~60FPS, when shooting a continuous stream of plasma w/o the mod I get 30-35FPS, with the mod it drops to 17-22.

shot00617.jpg

shot00622.jpg

I'm averaging 15-25FPS in firefights with about 3 enemies in largish areas (and constant plasma firing). I'll probably keep it installed for a while, the game suddenly looks so tame without it :p And I really like the pink/blue/yellow ;)

shot00655.jpg

shot00701.jpg

shot00725.jpg

dark10x said:
BTW Sander, are you simply using the light mod (v2) available on Beyond 3D? I would like to try that out myself when I get home as it looks very slick.
I think so, I used a zipped archive with some other mods (that I didn't use) linked on another forum. There is only one mod right now that does this I think?

DaCocoBrova said:
shot00586.jpg

What gun is that? Does the mod change the weapon model as well?
It is the Plasma rifle, I'm using fov 50 there. 'g_fov' to change I think.

Sander

Actually all the mod does is add the same dynamic lighting to the plasma rounds as the game uses for the BFG (w/o mods), only blue. That it looks so colourful is me picking the most ridiculously lighted shots :p

Kon Tiki

Banned
I was playing around on a test map (test_lotsaimps) at 1-3fps :D

test.jpg

Is it just me or its that my face reflected in that dude's stomach?

:|

doomprime.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom