• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

Dragon

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I'mma put money on the DS having just as much longevity.

The DS hardly has the same competition as the PS2 has had. Why do people insist on comparing the two, it's like trying to mate a mongoose with a snake. They're two totally different things in two different markets in the same industry.

Maybe it's just the whole: "yay the DS is passing the PS2 my DS love is requited and now I can start my Wii charts which show it better than the PS2 on odd numbered days in March!"

TheBranca18 said:
The DS hardly has the same competition as the PS2 has had. Why do people insist on comparing the two, it's like trying to mate a mongoose with a snake. They're two totally different things in two different markets in the same industry.

Maybe it's just the whole: "yay the DS is passing the PS2 my DS love is requited and now I can start my Wii charts which show it better than the PS2 on odd numbered days in March!"
Cry fucking harder.

People are comparing them because the PS2 is the most successful system of all time, and the DS is on pace to pass it, thus becoming the new most successful system of all time.

People who actually play video games instead of cock-gobbling for one company are actually interested in successes no matter which company makes them!

ziran

An impressive month, especially for PS2, but in terms of the overall picture, there's really nothing new here.

Wii is the dominant system this gen, 360 and PS3 have no chance of stopping this and will continue to fight for second place similar to GC/Xbox for the rest of their time on the market. DS could end up being the most successful system ever and is the only reasonable handheld choice for 3rd parties, while PSP is a completely dead system for sw sales (beyond the odd exception).

Looking to the future, what's going to be interesting is how many Wii's Nintendo ships for March with Smash Bros, and continues to ship for MKWii then Wii Fit, and how this relates to Reggie's confidence in Wii becoming the biggest installed base this gen in a few months, and, how much GTA4 helps the sales of 360 and PS3.

Firewire

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Cry fucking harder.

People are comparing them because the PS2 is the most successful system of all time, and the DS is on pace to do as well, thus becoming the most successful hand held system of all time.

People who actually play video games instead of cock-gobbling for one company are actually interested in successes no matter which company makes them!

I'm ok with that! :D

StevieP

Banned
Malleymal fixed said:
Nintendo needs to get out their last gen big dogs...

Smash Bros shows that.

When Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil, Rare's new title, and other N64 classics come out, its gonna be some serious hardware and software sale changes.

good numbers all around

Sounds familiar.
Edit: beaten!

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
Cry fucking harder.

People are comparing them because the PS2 is the most successful system of all time, and the DS is on pace to pass it, thus becoming the new most successful system of all time.

We have a winner.

Though given that lots of companies (including Nintendo and Square Enix) seem to be in the process of winding down DS software support, I wouldn't count on it having PS2 longevity. But we'll see!

ethelred said:
We have a winner.

Though given that lots of companies (including Nintendo and Square Enix) seem to be in the process of winding down DS software support, I wouldn't count on it having PS2 longevity. But we'll see!
Seems that way. Should be an exciting race. I hope we at least get 3D FFV with brutal hard difficulty, though.

HELP ME ITOH

Dascu

Segata Sanshiro said:
Seems that way. Should be an exciting race. I hope we at least get 3D FFV with brutal hard difficulty, though.

HELP ME ITOH
FFV DS in 3D and hopefully with some extra story and/or gameplay bits (like FFIV DS) would make the DS my favourite system ever.

Gwanatu T

I've come to the conclusion that people have stopped paying their mortgages in order to buy more video games. These numbers are just unbelievable.

Davidion

ethelred said:
We have a winner.

Is that really happening? Shame if it is the case.

I feel like the platform's sustainability is doable but not necessarily without another hardware iteration or INCREASED software support. Another potential to its ongoing success, which involves untraditional use of the hardware (such as being used as an interactive tool via wifi) isn't being exploited enough, imo. Also, where's my damn DS-Wii interconnectivity support?!

On a side note, I'm beginning to wonder if piracy is sustaining a big chunk of both DS and PSP sales at this point. I'd love to see some solid figures but strangely enough, people don't seem to have much concrete numbers on this.

Gwanatu T said:
I've come to the conclusion that people have stopped paying their mortgages in order to buy more video games. These numbers are just unbelievable.

Yeah, that's leaving us in great shape... I know this is all about video game sales and all but shit, the thought of people blowing cash on pricey entertainment when debt isn't being paid off is quite the bit of a turn-off.

justjohn said:
recession? what recession? crazy numbers.
Give it a few more months. Electronics are a luxury that will be hit hard.

Considering the amount of stuff people carry around I would argue the DS has a fair amount of competition. Not only is the PSP a significant player in the industry but we have MP3 players, advanced cellphones and other devices.

Oh by the way, the Today show is doing another feature on the Wii and Wii Sports. This is like the fourth time.

ziran

Davidion said:
I'm beginning to wonder if piracy is sustaining a big chunk of both DS and PSP sales at this point. I'd love to see some solid figures but strangely enough, people don't seem to have much concrete numbers on this.
I'm sure piracy is a factor on DS, but it did sell the largest amount of games in Feb on any system, so its sw sales are really good:
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=14794
Nintendo DS games topped all software sales, with more than 3.6 million units sold.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
TheBranca18 said:
The DS hardly has the same competition as the PS2 has had. Why do people insist on comparing the two, it's like trying to mate a mongoose with a snake.

I totally agree! The DS actually had a huge chance of losing while the PS2 basically was coronated. Apples and oranges.

ethelred said:
We have a winner.

I don't see Sony or SE supporting the PS2 anymore. People are really short-sighted when they see successes like the PS2 and think nothing will ever beat it, this industry is still in it's infancy, something will beat it eventually and the DS is one candidate to do so.

FIREBABY

Good numbers overall..for February. And I'm really shocked that 360 was able to move that much considering you couldn't find the damn things until the last couple of weeks of the month. Also, I may have to give LO a shot now.

wazoo

I like that Wii sales are high

the more the Wii sells, the more 3rd party games are announced on X360/ps3

very interesting gen

ethelred

BishopLamont said:
I don't see Sony or SE supporting the PS2 anymore. People are really short-sighted when they see successes like the PS2 and think nothing will ever beat it, this industry is still in it's infancy, something will beat it eventually and the DS is one candidate to do so.

Sony and Square Enix aren't supporting the PS2 now, but it got a good solid six years of full support in the US. The DS hasn't gotten that. Four years at the most of full software support? It's silly to think that won't play a role.

GameGamer

Kletian said:
How are there still people out there who dont have DS's. It's HW sales continue to blow me away month after month.

I don't really like the DS. But I own 3.

I have no idea why.

Actually I just remembered I own 4.

Grecco

ethelred said:
We have a winner.

Didnt Square just announce the new Valkyre Profile game? I think we might see new DS stuff being announced in the coming months.

CoG

DMC4 makes for the 9th million seller on the PS3?

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=938

Looks like the fourth release in the popular Devil May Cry series has managed to sell over 1 million copies since its launch earlier this year. Other PS3 titles to surpass the 1 million mark are MotorStorm, Call Of Duty 4, Resistance, Assassins Creed, Pro Evolution 2008, Uncharted, Fifa 2008 and Need For Speed Pro Street.

ethelred said:
Sony and Square Enix aren't supporting the PS2 now, but it got a good solid six years of full support in the US. The DS hasn't gotten that. Four years at the most of full software support? It's silly to think that won't play a role.
Nintendo's support for the DS is more then what Sony and SE has provided for the PS2, it's the primary driver of DS sales, anything else is just gravy. Also we know nothing else in the pipeline for 08 and beyond for the DS, it's silly for you to think this all the DS is going to get. The PS2 is selling because of it's huge backlog, something the DS can relate to.

P90

TheBranca18 said:

:lol

So are you saying that the PSP is a piece of crap and not "competition"? When will the excuses end?

The PS2 and DS both play games as their PRIMARY function right? That makes them equivalent and comparable.

ethelred

BishopLamont said:
Nintendo's support for the DS is more then what Sony and SE has provided for the PS2, it's the primary driver of DS sales, anything else is just gravy.

I wasn't the one that brought up Square Enix and Sony, you were. Who cares how much Nintendo has supported the DS compared to how much Sony and Square Enix supported the PS2 in a similar time period? Yes, obviously, there were lots of other big companies on the PS2 playing their critical role. The point is that the PS2 got six full years of full, solid software support.

BishopLamont said:
Also we know nothing else in the pipeline for 08 and beyond for the DS, it's silly for you to think this all the DS is going to get.

Let's replay the tape:
ethelred said:

At no point did I make a definitive statement that DS support has ended and that I know what's going to happen beyond 2009. But I can look at the announcements companies have made in recent months (going back to the middle of 2007) and what's currently in development and known to the public, and you're daft if you think it's as strong as it was in 2006 and 2007. Nintendo has also stated that it has already begun shifting development resources away from the DS, so regardless of what you may want to be the case, development does, as I said, seem to be winding down.

BishopLamont said:
The PS2 is selling because of it's huge backlog, something the DS can relate to.

The DS doesn't have the PS2's backlog and if it ends up with two fewer years of software support, it won't.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
StevieP said:
Sounds familiar.
Edit: beaten!

I am not trying to getting into the battle of sales and all with nintendo and Sony and microsoft... I cant care any less than i do now. I own a 360 and my girl has a wii and we may be picking up a PS3 when i get my new TV this week. So there is no bias or whatever you are talking about.

I was just stating from the numbers that games like Uncharted and other new gen games didnt place PS3 anywhere on the top ten list, let alone close to the 360 counterpart of a multi platform title. I know a bunch of people that still play those last gen ps2 titles like socom, GTA and all and are quite content with staying in the last gen, but the second their favorite games like that come out, they will go out and buy one. thats all.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
We have a winner.

Have we seen evidence that SE's support is winding down? Definitely agree on Nintendo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
Going strictly by the numbers, yes, they absolutely have been.
I guess going by announcements then you're right. On the other hand, my impression is that SE hasn't been announcing much of anything.

ethelred said:
I wasn't the one that brought up Square Enix and Sony, you were. Who cares how much Nintendo has supported the DS compared to how much Sony and Square Enix supported the PS2 in a similar time period? Yes, obviously, there were lots of other big companies on the PS2 playing their critical role. The point is that the PS2 got six full years of full, solid software support.

Let's replay the tape:

At no point did I make a definitive statement that DS support has ended and that I know what's going to happen beyond 2009. But I can look at the announcements companies have made in recent months (going back to the middle of 2007) and what's currently in development and known to the public, and you're daft if you think it's as strong as it was in 2006 and 2007. Nintendo has also stated that it has already begun shifting development resources away from the DS, so regardless of what you may want to be the case, development does, as I said, seem to be winding down.

ethelred said:
We have a winner.

I brought it up ey? The DS is selling nearly 600k in February, does it matter who supports it when Nintendo's software is more then enough to drive such high sales? You assume the DS needs boat loads of hardcore games like the PS2 to continue to sell when in fact it doesn't, it's the casual games that sells the console. When the DS stops selling on the back off the software that's already released then you can say it won't achieve PS2 numbers, but this isn't the case and there's nothing to suggest it's going to happen any time soon.

That edit was cute ;)

ethelred said:
The DS doesn't have the PS2's backlog and if it ends up with two fewer years of software support, it won't.
Ah but there's plenty of support, the people who buy the DS don't need megatons, Carnival Games: DS and Nintendogs is plenty enough to keep the sales going.

Zerachiel

I don't think DMC's sales are so subpar. Across the two platforms, its opening month is about the same as Bioshock's or Mass Effect's, which is about what I'd expect.

Grecco

schuelma said:
I guess going by announcements then you're right. On the other hand, my impression is that SE hasn't been announcing much of anything.

This is what i wanted to say. Ever since TGS, with the KH games, Last Remnant we havent seen new stuff from Square for any console.

Devil May Cry 4:

PS3:
NA: 235,000
EU: 235,000 (assumption)
JPN: 300,000

360:
NA: 295,000
EU: 235,000 (assumption)
JPN: 62,000

1,362,000 (1 month)

That's stylish.

devilmaycrydante.jpg

PC:
NA: ????
EU: ????
JPN: ????

Luckyman

Banned
Absinthe said:
1) If Devil May Cry 4 is any indicator, Metal Gear 4 is going to be a MONSTER. That's when I'm jumping in and I know for a fact that's when a lot of other people are going to buy a PS3 as well. Expect a significant hardware boost in June along with a really impressive attach rate for Metal Gear 4. That bundle is genius.

Sadly we won't know how much MGS4 exactly sells because it´s bundled. And NPD does not count the bundled copies.

Top Bottom