• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

Many thanks to NPD for their continued support

Another world shattering NPD. It's becoming so commonplace it's easy to forget how historic these numbers are.

SW totals were $668.7M!!!! That's an increase of 47% over last years historic number.

The hardware is steller as well. Units were up 19% to over 2.1M systems combined (and that's compared to last year which was up 60% over the prior year). The "less technically advanced" systems were phenomenal. DS, PS2, & Wii all showed remarkable level of sales. 360 & PS3 sold quite well and there sales are quite respectable, but compared to the other systems don't seem to impress quite as much.

Hardware

PlayStation 2 351.8K
PlayStation 3 280.8K
PlayStation Portable 243.1K
Xbox 360 254.6K
Nintendo DS 587.6K
Wii 432K

Top 10 SW
Top-Selling VG Software - February 2008
RELEASE TOTAL U.S. RANK
TITLE PUBLISHER DATE UNITS

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE* ACTIVISION 7-Nov 296.2K 1
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7-Feb 289.7K 3
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 222.9K 5
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA 8-Jan 205.6K 6
360 LOST ODYSSEY MICROSOFT 8-Feb 203.6K 7
360 TUROK TOUCHSTONE 8-Jan 197.7K 8
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 183.8K 9
360 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 7-Nov 161.8K 10

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
You mean February, right?

Turok, Lost Odyssey and COD4 sold better than I anticipated! Man, Activision is rolling in dough with COD!!

WarLox

wow

360 LOST ODYSSEY MICROSOFT 8-Feb 203.6K

keyshmom3zk3.gif

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow..nice DS, Wii and PS2 numbers

PS3 numbers are also very impressive IMO. Actually went up from last month, something I wasn't expecting. I'm almost ready to say Sony has turned a corner..

Talamius

Wii continues it's domination, but the PS3 is climbing back into the fight for 2nd. 280k is a damned good February number, 360 shortages or not.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4

Very close.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Holy shit at Wii and DS. Un-fucking-stoppable. And go PS2!

Who was saying the PS3 was going to outsell Wii this year? :lol

NPD's Anita Frazier said:
"Even following a red-hot 2007, the video games industry shows no sign of letting up as year-to-date sales through February are up 12% over last year. Taking the extra week of sales included in the 2007 figures, on a comparable weeks basis, 2008 is up approximately 26% over last year (through February)."

"As one would expect moving into this portion of the console lifecycle, the focus is once again upon software sales. Software sales are up 47% for the month of February and 43% for the year on a comparable weeks sales basis. With several marquee titles still to come in the front half of the year, the industry is poised to achieve another year of record-breaking sales despite difficult economic conditons."

"While hardware inventory issues at retail may still be lingering post-holiday, the fact that all now-gen systems generated significant year-over-year hardware sales increases indicates the situation is coming into balance faster than it did last year."

"I was most surprised by the PS2 hardware sales numbers this month. While it certainly has earned its spot among the now-gen slate of console systems because of it staying power in the marketplace, the fact that it realized such significant growth this month is really a testament to its broad adoption and the response of consumers to promotional activity at retail."

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I kind of expected higher DMC numbers to be honest.

And PS3 version pretty close to 360..

Top Bottom