• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Triceps Kickbacks, Swiss Ball Squats, and Testosterdrama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troblin said:
Lifting History: Been lifting on and off since I was 17. Usually just Bench Press and some Curls. Didn't get serious about nutrition+ lifting until I was 21-22. Started working a full-time deskjob(auditor) at 23, and wanted to keep up lifting to counteract the sedentary lifestyle. I've been studying the CPA and trying to maintain a social life(among other things). Basically I need a routine that will fit my busy schedule.

Current Routine
My arms/shoulders/legs need serious work.
Chest development is good(I used to just bench 3*times a week), traps are really good(think I used to bench too close to my neck, thus, my traps did a lot of the pushing on the bench press. + genetics)
Day 1: Chest/Tricep/Shoulders
DBPress*6
Shoulder Press*3-4
Tricep Extension*3
Dips*4
Front Raise or some Variation *4
Lateral Raise or some Variation*4
FacePulls*5
Leg Raises/Ab Machines *4

Day 2: Back/Biceps
Pullups*4
BB Rows*3
Machine Row*3
BB Curls *5
FacePulls*5

Day 3: Legs/Shoulders
BB Squats*5
SLDL*5
Calf Raises*4
Shoulder Press*4
FacePulls*5

I also run 3 miles, 2 times a week on my off days.
note*- I have a lingering rotator cuff injury that prevents certain exercises. BB Bench Press, Military Press, Upright Rows, et. al.
To gain weight I think I'd need to up my calorie count by ~ 200-300 calories/day. Easily done through a little more brown rice/oatmeal. However, I want to lose ~2-3% bf and ideally stay at the same bw. Also, I'm in no rush to achieve these goals. If i could hit 185lbs 8-9% bf within a year, I'd be ecstatic.

You have a pretty solid base and a solid diet to work from, with the right idea in mind for getting bigger. Have you considered a full body routine? Is there any reason why you are using the particular split you have right now?

I just want to gain more stamina than anything, always run out of breath pretty quickly.

* Height: 1,80 m (5.9 feet tall I guess?)
* Weight: 71 kgs
* Goal: Just get in shape and gain more stamina

Chony said:
I think that looks like it take a bit of commitment. Maybe an hour at least on those days? The gym at my work is all machines... should I use those or free weights? I have a couple 25lb dumbbells at my apartment, but I don't have a bench. Squats are hard for me because my legs are so long and narrow. Plus I have huge feet so I look like a clown with my shorts, chicken legs and mondo feet.

I am not quite sure what the skull crusher is, but I should look into it. This looks like a great place to start. It's easy to say that I'll do it, much harder to start and stick with it day in and day out.

Probably about an hour, right, and probably not much more, if more at all. Definitely use free weights. Machines don't have the same training effect in any way...I'll add that to the OP ASAP.

Who cares if you look like a clown? You think you're going to look any better when your upper body gets big and your legs are still small? :D

Squats are your friend--you need to do them. Having long legs does make it difficult but it is far from impossible.

Skull Crushers: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/BBLyingTriExtSC.html

It's a fitting name. :D

MrToughPants said:
Did lunges outside and went on to do 19 inch stepups with the same weights 100-150-210, they feel so good on the quads and mildly hit the hams. I'm gonna go back out and do some med-weight sets just cuz they kick so much ass. I can't do them indoors since my basement ceiling is too low so I might as well take advantage of it. Inbetween sets I go and do pullups in the barn... :lol

I was gonna do barbell step ups on Wednesday. The stool I used wasn't set on solid ground and wobbled like crazy when I stepped on it. More than anything I've ever squatted, stepping up with a loaded barbell on your back, on one leg, wobbling, was terrifying.

I ended up grabbing some dumbbells.

Struct09

Prime crotch said:
I just want to gain more stamina than anything, always run out of breath pretty quickly.

* Height: 1,80 m (5.9 feet tall I guess?)
* Weight: 71 kgs
* Goal: Just get in shape and gain more stamina

I have exercise-induced asthma, and as long as I'm consistent with running I never run out of breath and my stamina stays up. I would highly suggest following the HIIT routine outlined here: http://musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

I like that routine since it eases you in to high intensity running, and it doesn't take too much time out of your day. Also, when I consistently do HIIT, my body fat plummets. I usually sit at 5% when I'm doing HIIT 3x a week, but I also keep weight lifting as the core of my routine.

Can't recommend HIIT enough.

Mr. Snrub said:
You're still in your teens and have the opportunity to take advantage of your growth to get some awesome gains. Again, you could probably focus on a mass-gaining routine, but with a more "athletic" focused diet and make some good gains.

What do you normally eat? Check the OP Nutrition section for information, I am working on a "hardgainer" section for those who want to gain weight. I'll bet if you ate right and followed a full body routine, in a few months you'd probably have gained at least 10 lbs and maintained your bodyfat. I am going to post some suggested full body routines for beginners, as well.

But I'm glad you say you want to get your legs and back bigger and stronger. These are the two neglected muscle groups that NEED attention, as they promote the most overall growth.

Is this a full body routine http://www.davedraper.com/entire-body-routine.html ? Seems easy enough. I have no idea what to split up on M/W/F though. Should cardio be done on just one day or all days? I guess I'll just wait till you post yours up.

Anyways, I try to get as much protein in my diet as I can. I drink 3 glasses of milk a day (this helped me gain a lot of weight), eggs, meat, rice/veggie, pita bread, cheese, and fish sometimes. I think my eating habits are all over the place though. I'll eat a lot one day then not eat much the next.

Prime crotch said:

Personally I'm a fan of playing competitive sports for cardio (tennis, racquetball, basketball, soccer, whatever's available in your area). If you're not comfortable with team sports, pick a one-on-one sport.

The 'game' aspect will make you want to work hard, and you'll almost forget how much effort you're putting in. Until you take a break and notice that you're drenched in sweat, having burned a thousand calories.

Many people who choose to do cardio in the gym end up doing low-intensity cardio. They'll burn a few calories here and there, but their endurance etc. will not benefit as much as people who play competitive sports.

Since Mr. Toughpants and Snrub have touched on it, let me ask this.. If you're only doing one or the other, which do you guys think is better, step ups or lunges? I've moved to step ups because my lifting partner has bad knees and is wary of lunges, but I'm not really sure if I'm missing out here.

or, in the alternative, is it better to do them both?

DSWii60

I'm just wondering how much protein would a person need if they are just trying to gain strength. For example today (a very bad day in terms of diet admittedly) I only got 12% of my total energy amount from protein. Without using supplements are there any other foods that contain a large amount of protein?

GHG said:
What in the...

After looking at that pic I immediately looked at my arms and thought "aww shit". What the fuck kind of excersises did he do!?! Those arms are unreal.

Google Gregg Valentino. Now there's some unreal arms (nasty).

Chichikov

joeblackisback said:
Since Mr. Toughpants and Snrub have touched on it, let me ask this.. If you're only doing one or the other, which do you guys think is better, step ups or lunges? I've moved to step ups because my lifting partner has bad knees and is wary of lunges, but I'm not really sure if I'm missing out here.

or, in the alternative, is it better to do them both?
They're similar enough that most people can do one or the other, and in any case, I'm a huge fan of simplifying the routines for beginners.
But I'm not sure why would a step-up be easier on the knees than lunges.
DSWii60 said:
I'm just wondering how much protein would a person need if they are just trying to gain strength. For example today (a very bad day in terms of diet admittedly) I only got 12% of my total energy amount from protein. Without using supplements are there any other foods that contain a large amount of protein?
It's not so much about percentage as it is about grams per day per body weight kg (the percentage is derived from that and your desired caloric intake).
The actual number varies from person to person, and depends on your goals and type of proteins you're taking, but if you're looking to gain mass, at the bare minimum you should take 1g/kg, and it can goes as high as 2g/kg (some people take more than that, but I would say that iss the highest level that someone who doesn't quite know what he's doing should go).
As to how how to get this protein, milk, eggs, fish and chicken breasts are great sources that should allow you to hit this goal fairly easily, if you still struggle to get to your target, you can take whey protein.

DSWii60

Chichikov said:
=It's not so much about percentage as it is about grams per day per body weight kg (the percentage is derived from that and your desired caloric intake).
The actual number varies from person to person, and depends on your goals and type of proteins you're taking, but if you're looking to gain mass, at the bare minimum you should take 1g/kg, and it can goes as high as 2g/kg (some people take more than that, but I would say that iss the highest level that someone who doesn't quite know what he's doing should go).
As to how how to get this protein, milk, eggs, fish and chicken breasts are great sources that should allow you to hit this goal fairly easily, if you still struggle to get to your target, you can take whey protein.

I managed 1g/kg body weight today but then I had a calorie intake approx. 500 calories more than I would normally. Looks like it's going to be eggs for breakfast with some cereal from now on.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
perryfarrell said:
Google Gregg Valentino. Now there's some unreal arms (nasty).
Eww...

I don't get people like that, why would you go any further if you already achieved looking like motherfucking Kratos.

Armitage

I was thinking of jumping in to the old thread but it was just too big and intimidating. Topics like this need a regular topic refresh so thanks for that! Anyways.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 120
Goal: Bulk up biceps/arms a bit, get a little nicer belly and chest.
Current Training Schedule: Sleeping?

I'm pretty thin and I have very little fat. I'm not quite as thin as my low weight suggests but I'm definitely on the thin side. I eat well, get good sleep, walk all over the place but I don't have any exercise routine yet. I've never really worked out seriously before either. Basically I just want a little more muscle on my arms (including forearms!) and stomach.

So, free weights for the arms, crunches for the abs, right? Should I alternate once a day or something? From here on I'm lost.

dabig2

Armitage said:
I was thinking of jumping in to the old thread but it was just too big and intimidating. Topics like this need a regular topic refresh so thanks for that! Anyways.

I'm pretty thin and I have very little fat. I'm not quite as thin as my low weight suggests but I'm definitely on the thin side. I eat well, get good sleep, walk all over the place but I don't have any exercise routine yet. I've never really worked out seriously before either. Basically I just want a little more muscle on my arms (including forearms!) and stomach.

So, free weights for the arms, crunches for the abs, right? Should I alternate once a day or something? From here on I'm lost.

damn, 120 lbs? The most important thing for you to do is draft up a diet you can follow right now. And by diet I mean eating copious amounts of meat, milk, fishes, protein, etc. You particularly should average 4000 calories per day if possible. Rippetoe's wiki page has great information of possible diets to try for all sorts of body types (athlete, fat guys, skinny guys, etc.)

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Supplemental_Materials

lil smoke

Banned
perryfarrell said:
Yes, please critique. I'm relatively new to this stuff so I appreciate any corrections. I hope Shrub will put in the corrections, as he made the posts.

I completely forgot about oats. Great source of carbs indeed.

:lol

zhenming

You could potentially be hurting yourself if you start with free weights and not know what you're doing thats where machines come in...... don't be a hater.

Armitage

dabig2 said:
damn, 120 lbs? The most important thing for you to do is draft up a diet you can follow right now. And by diet I mean eating copious amounts of meat, milk, fishes, protein, etc. You particularly should average 4000 calories per day if possible. Rippetoe's wiki page has great information of possible diets to try for all sorts of body types (athlete, fat guys, skinny guys, etc.)

Thanks for the link man! I didn't realize how important my diet is to stuff like this.

lil smoke

Banned
zhenming said:
You could potentially be hurting yourself if you start with free weights and not know what you're doing thats where machines come in...... don't be a hater.
Explain your logic son.

aznpxdd

zhenming said:

But machines don't teach you the forms at all, so its kinda pointless unless you just want to be able to to more weights. I'd rather do free weights with less weights and learn the form than wasting time on machines.

Onto another topic...I'm probably going to start putting salad in my diet. What are some healthy alternatives to salad dressings?

MrToughPants said:
Well i'm stuffed two 12inch chicken teriyaki sub's from subway with honey mustard sauce!!!! So fucking good... :lol

2 12 inchers?...God damn.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Well i'm stuffed two 12inch chicken teriyaki sub's from subway with honey mustard sauce!!!! So fucking good... :lol

What are some healthy alternatives to salad dressings?

Honey mustard!!!!

I only eat salad chicken's, chicken topped with salad, so I add honey, dijon mustard and a touch of mayo and olive oil and then throw in the salad and tomoatos.

Olive oil + lemon

lil smoke

Banned
aznpxdd said:
But machines don't teach you the forms at all, so its kinda pointless unless you just want to be able to to more weights. I'd rather do free weights with less weights and learn the form than wasting time on machines.

Onto another topic...I'm probably going to start putting salad in my diet. What are some healthy alternatives to salad dressings?
I like olive oil and red wine vinegar... or balsamic if you have a good one.

Chichikov said:
They're similar enough that most people can do one or the other, and in any case, I'm a huge fan of simplifying the routines for beginners.
But I'm not sure why would a step-up be easier on the knees than lunges.

I don't think that they are, but my workout partner had some irrational fear of lunges, so I had to drop them. Either way, now that we're not working out together anymore I'll probably end up going back and forth between the two.

Make your own dressing.

Balsamic
Olive oil
Dijon
Salt
Black pepper
A touch of brown sugar

Whisk it all together, or put it in tupperware and shake the hell out of it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
After my physical last Friday I decided to seriously get my act together and get in shape. I've always thought I was a bit "chubby" but was shocked to step on the scale and read back 300 lbs. So that following Saturday I joined the gym and started jogging on the treadmill and exercise on the elliptical machine. Well here are my stats:

* Height: 5'8"
* Weight: 300
* Goal: To lose around 120 lbs
* Current Training Schedule: lots of Cardio
* Comments: I'm obsessed with Men's Heath Magazine and on the July issue of the UK version has this dude name Mike Fawkes with a body I want to aspire to. I do not know if I can post a pic of the cover or not but he was picked as cover model from a contest in London. Anyways, in his bio he said he was overweight and had to workout on his own, he could not afford the gym, to get the body he has now.

My thing, is diet, what to eat, are portien shakes worth it, basically stuff like that. I've totally cut out Dunkin Donuts, that was my routine every morning before work, black coffee with sugar, a coffee roll, old fashion donut and a glazed donut. It was a diet for disaster.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I guess since everyone else is doing it...

Height: 5'4"
Weight: 150
Goal: Build Muscle Mass and Slim down (concurrently). Seems to be working a bit so far but the slimming down has slowed down (which I don't mind since I'm essentially bulking up, the way I've been eating).
Current Training Schedule: I workout nearly everyday for 2 hours (2 hours because I workout with a partner). Training Schedules goes. (Chest-Shoulders-Triceps)(Back-Biceps)(Legs) Rotate those so it would be like (Monday: Chest bracket, Tuesday: Back Bracket Wednesday: Leg Bracket and finish off with Chest and back for the remaining two days). That has been good for me so far. My rest periods are the weekend.

I've been at it for 5 months and I can really tell in the face and in my physique. One good way to stay motivated is to bring a gym partner that you know will be sticking with you for the long haul.

I'm on a modified Paleolithic diet.

I try to eat all whole foods. Avoid all grains, legumes, dairy.

The reasoning being that - evolutionarily - we remain hunter gatherers. For tens of thousands of years, homo sapiens ate nuts, fish, meat, and whatever vegetables they could pull from the ground. Our bodies are designed to thrive on these foods. The advent of agriculture allowed us to drink dairy and plant grains and legumes in massive quantities, and population exploded - but so did the diseases of civilization. Check out modern hunter gatherers (however few remain) and you'll find people with great teeth, no cardiovascular disease, and no diabetes. Introduce those same people to a Western diet and watch the health problems mount.

It's the same for cows: organic grassfed beef is better for you because that's what cows are designed to eat. I don't think we're meant to eat grains and legumes (which aren't digestible without cooking) or dairy (which is designed for baby cows). Ten thousand years just isn't enough time for evolution to occur. Thought the fact that some people have no problem with dairy probably means that evolution is starting!

I dunno. I've had great success with this. I've lost fat, gained muscle while doing primarily body weight exercises. Pull ups, dips, push ups, and squats. I do add weight though, either by wearing weighted packs or carrying my dog or a couple sandbags or whatever. I'm stronger than I've ever been, even when I was eating a normal diet and working out daily at a gym.

I just bought an olympic weight set off Craigslist, though, so I'm looking forward to doing some of the compound barbell exercises. Just gotta get my knee fixed first.

Anyway, just a thought. I highly recommend you guys at least try the Paleo diet out. It just feels like what I'm supposed to be eating... and of course I cheat. I'm not supposed to eat sugar (except for honey now and then) or add salt to food - but who the fuck grills a steak without salt? I can eat the odd churro or crackers w/ cheese without problems, but if I eat a plate of pasta I'll feel sick, bloated, and just generally unhealthy.

Oh, and alcohol is supposedly out, too, but c'mon. Cavemen have been eating fermented fruit since the beginning of time, so I don't feel bad about that.

Chichikov said:
Snurb -
I think you should update the Request Gaf's Help part in the OP to include current training regime in details.

Done.

Buba Big Guns said:
Is this a full body routine http://www.davedraper.com/entire-body-routine.html ? Seems easy enough. I have no idea what to split up on M/W/F though. Should cardio be done on just one day or all days? I guess I'll just wait till you post yours up.

Anyways, I try to get as much protein in my diet as I can. I drink 3 glasses of milk a day (this helped me gain a lot of weight), eggs, meat, rice/veggie, pita bread, cheese, and fish sometimes. I think my eating habits are all over the place though. I'll eat a lot one day then not eat much the next.

Yeah, that's a decent full body routine, but there are better ones out there. Look to Mad Cow's page or just buy Starting Strength (listed in the OP). Are you just beginning? What are your goals?

3 glasses of milk a day is a little light. I usually drink that much in one sitting :) Well, 3 cups of milk. Let us know some specifics (use the template in the OP) and we'll help you out!

lil smoke said:

A great source of amusement for me is to how many different ways my name is spelled. :D

bud

dabig2 said:

that link is awesome and very helpful. thank you. and the op's also pretty helpful on this matter.

i love this thread.

Armitage said:

Sounds like you just generally want to look better. As stated in the OP, full body lifts/compounds are favored here. You sound VERY underweight, and your age and inexperience make you a prime candidate for some great gains.

I'd honestly recommend purchasing Starting Strength for $20. Best training investment you can make, outside a weight set or gym membership, of course. He regularly gets about 40-50 of muscular bodyweight added onto teenagers in 6-12 months. These are young athletes as well. It's not ALL pure muscle, but as you're most likely a hardgainer, you can monitor your fat intake pretty easily.

Curls and crunches will make a bit of a difference, but not nearly enough as a full body routine would do. So essentially, you want to get a bit more muscular, right? Particularly in the "attractive" spots (arms, abs)? Here, this is what I would start you on.

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Pull Ups - 5x5 or 3 sets of 8-15
Skull Crushers - 3 sets of 8-10
Barbell Curls - 3 sets of 8-10
Abdominal work

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 sets of 5
Close Grip Bench Press- 3 sets of 8-10

Friday
Squat - 2 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 2 sets of 5
Barbell Curls - 3 sets of 8-10
Abdominal work

That leaves your diet. Check out the "milk diet" in the OP. :D

zhenming said:

No. Machines won't prepare you for the form and skill necessary to use free weights. They may marginally improve your strength, but machines are inferior to free weights. Best to start with free weights, even if it means using an empty bar.

Solaros

To the OP,

Since quite a few people seem to be aspiring towards the same goal, lower bodyfat and a defined look, you might create a generalized workout for people with percentages if they are new to the iron game and add it to the OP.

For example,

Establish proper form with just the bar, then add weight with 5 minute rest in between your one rep to establish something close to your 1RM. Then build off of percentages there. I would write it up if I were more eloquent and not so incoherent.

Armitage

Snrub, you are awesome and I will be lobbying for you to get a kick ass tag soon. One more question though, the only equipment I have is a pair of 10lb free weights. Is there anyway to do stuff like bench presses and squats and stuff using, uh, anything that doesn't cost money? I'm poor!

Mr.City

Armitage said:
Snrub, you are awesome and I will be lobbying for you to get a kick ass tag soon. One more question though, the only equipment I have is a pair of 10lb free weights. Is there anyway to do stuff like bench presses and squats and stuff using, uh, anything that doesn't cost money? I'm poor!

For benching, you would want to go with push ups.

I'm not too sure about squats though.

Rahnter

* Height:5'10"
* Weight:140
* Goal:reduce fat around thigh and gluts
* Current Training Schedule: Mainly consists of push-ups, sit ups, dips, squats (no weights), jump rope. I started using one of those exercise balls and may buy a bench press, for squats and military press.
* Comments: When I started college I bulked up to 165 just doing heavy lifting. I stopped working out for almost two years, but now I am looking to stay around 150 and increase cardio.

Troblin

Mr. Snrub said:
You have a pretty solid base and a solid diet to work from, with the right idea in mind for getting bigger. Have you considered a full body routine? Is there any reason why you are using the particular split you have right now?

I've thought about hitting a full body routine, but I always thought bench press+squat+deadlifts would be too taxing.... Have you had good success with it?

BTW.. I experimented with front squats today. My wrists still aren't flexible enough to do a clean grip, but I'm getting there. I can do them sucessfully w/ the cross arm technique. I think I'm going to add 3 sets of front squats to my leg day and trim some of the shoulder/bicep exercises.

aznpxdd

Since everyone is doing it, I guess I'll fill one of these out too to get some suggestions.

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 183
Goal: Build muscle mass and lower body fat %
Current Training Schedule: I'm currently alternating between these 2 workouts, 3-4 days a week.

Day 1
Shrugs (for warm up)
Barbell Curls
Squats
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Leg raises or Roman sit ups between major lifts

Day 2
Deadlifts
Dips (non weighted)/Skull Crushers
Leg Press
Barbell Rows
Leg raises or Roman sit ups between major lifts

I also fit in some machines for my legs...as I feel Squats and Leg press aren't enough.

The thing is for most of these, I'm doing either 3x8 or 4x6 for my reps/sets. Should I be doing 3x5 with higher weights? I'm not exactly looking to bulk up or anything, just more defined.

As for diet, I'm trying my best to eat healthy even though I usually end up eating big on the weekends :(.

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 wheat toasts, tuna, a banana and some fruit juices.
Lunch - Chicken sandwich with wheat bread, some fruits (watermelon, apple or grapes)
Dinner - About the same as lunch, though I do try for some more variety.

* Height: 5'10''
* Weight: 175
* Goal: lose bod fat (i think im like 22-25% at the moment) and just be overall fit. I dont really care for being ripped. I personally rather be faster than I am strong
* Current Training Schedule: None :/ I wanna start to do something though
* Comments: Its been two years since high school when I was in pretty decent shape due to work that involved manual labor and a lot of soccer playing and I've unfortunately gained weight and lost much of my stamina. I also have these lovehandles that I've had since forever even when I was at 155 with about 15% body fat or so. I wanna get rid of those.

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, that's a decent full body routine, but there are better ones out there. Look to Mad Cow's page or just buy Starting Strength (listed in the OP). Are you just beginning? What are your goals?

3 glasses of milk a day is a little light. I usually drink that much in one sitting :) Well, 3 cups of milk. Let us know some specifics (use the template in the OP) and we'll help you out!

Nah, I wouldn't say I'm beginning. I just need an organized workout plan really. Im trying to get my back, legs, and abs bigger/stronger. I just did some ab workouts today, and man are they weak :lol

1 glass for me is quite a bit more than a cup. I'll read the rest of the OP sometime tomorrow so hopefully I can get into more detail.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff178/ShockWaveTrio/photo1.jpg

A photo to keep so in the future I can see how my body has progressed. This was taken recently, I started squatting in late March, started bench pressing in late April, and started deadlifting in June. I only did little shit movements prior to those three milestones, and I feel like I've made major changes in my body (strength and aesthetics-wise) since April, way more than I did in the 7 months I had lifted prior with my small movements.

Happy with my traps, chest is developing nicely enough as well, but my arms are still smaller than I'd like, and my abs are in need of some help, so I've added some better core exercises on my off days. I'll try to get a leg photo up for comparisons sake also. I weigh about 10 pounds more than I did when I started lifting, but I've lost 1+ inches in my waist line, gotten rid of my gut, and flattened my chest. I'm not sure what I can attribute to the "V" shaped cut in my lower abdomen/hips, but those muscles have been built up a lot and I assume it is due to leg lifts and standing side crunches (using a solid 70lb dumbbell for 3x8 on each side at this point).

my name is ed said:
* Height: 5'10''
* Weight: 175
* Goal: lose bod fat (i think im like 22-25% at the moment) and just be overall fit. I dont really care for being ripped. I personally rather be faster than I am strong
* Current Training Schedule: None :/ I wanna start to do something though
* Comments: Its been two years since high school when I was in pretty decent shape due to work that involved manual labor and a lot of soccer playing and I've unfortunately gained weight and lost much of my stamina. I also have these lovehandles that I've had since forever even when I was at 155 with about 15% body fat or so. I wanna get rid of those

You're the same age, height, and weight as myself. Like, on the dot. What equipment do you have available to you; any equipment at home, or access to a gym? What you have available will be the largest factor in what you will be able to do exercise-wise. As important as lifting and cardio can be, diet is also important, and that of course does not require any specialized equipment.

What would you say your diet currently consists of on the average day?

Alright, looks like this is what everyone's doing now.. soo...

Weight: 121

Goal: Gain weight and muscle. Looking more for weight and muscle size than I am endurance or muscle strength.

Current Training Schedule: 20 lb. Dumbbells every day for Curls, and standing shoulder presses..., after that I do push ups, pull ups, and dips. That about sums it up... Hardly anything I know x.x Though I have recently started doing knuckle push ups.

Comments: I'm 16 and I don't have a job so I can't afford to get a gym membership so anything suggested must be something that can be done at home and the only type of weights I have are dumbbells. I have already started with some protein shakes and trying to ramp up my food intake some, but it's hard going...

Anything helps people so suggest away! It's still summer so I have a lot of free time... :lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Alright, so.

Was doing my deadlifts and was pointed out the fact that I was arching my back, and the entire time I couldn't figure out why I was doing that.

Then it hit me, and I didn't keep in mind something very simple: I was reaching down and over to grab the barbell, thus putting my torso forward more than I should. What I should have been doing was half-squatting/dropping down to grab the bar, correct?

So, Snrub/Chich/whoever, can you post the guidelines for a proper deadlift?

On some good news front, I'm very comfortable with bench pressing now, and I will stick to the weight I am currently at for a few more sessions as it is still challenging in the last couple of reps, and then try to move up a weight again.

Oh, and I managed to make my shins bleed - bad form and all.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
reilo said:
Alright, so.

Was doing my deadlifts and was pointed out the fact that I was arching my back, and the entire time I couldn't figure out why I was doing that.

Then it hit me, and I didn't keep in mind something very simple: I was reaching down and over to grab the barbell, thus putting my torso forward more than I should. What I should have been doing was half-squatting/dropping down to grab the bar, correct?

So, Snrub/Chich/whoever, can you post the guidelines for a proper deadlift?

My father showed me how to do Deadlifts for the first time this week and what he had me do was keep my knees slightly bent and NEVER lock them out. When bringing the weight up and putting it down, always keep your knees bent.

To keep my back straight, I tried to force my ass in the air so it would prevent me from hunching my back.

Nolan.

BlueTsunami said:
My father showed me how to do Deadlifts for the first time this week and what he had me do was keep my knees slightly bent and NEVER lock them out. When bringing the weight up and putting it down, always keep your knees bent.

To keep my back straight, I tried to force my ass in the air so it would prevent me from hunching my back.

Apparently thats what you're suppose to do, I was trying to avoid it since it feels awkward but this trainer kept intercepting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom