• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gameboy Advance Software Thread of Micro Pleasures for Great Pocket Justice

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
This reminds me, I need to pick up Boktai 2.

I'm really surpised the eBay prices are reasonable... I've only actually seen one or two copies in the wild.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Thanks to the Gameboy Micro thread, I've gone on a GBA shopping spree, armed with a dozen 20% off GBA Gamestop coupons.

Thus far I have picked up:

Activision Anthology (so-so collection)
Chu Chu Rocket (perfect for portables)
Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku II (Trunks!)
Disney's Magical Quest 1 (Minnie Mouse + Bionic Commando)
Disney's Magical Quest 2 (more of the same, minus bionic arm)
Game & Watch Gallery 4 (so awesome)
Iridion II (impressive graphics)
Ninja Five-O (for $4!)

I'm thinking about getting the Golden Sun games but I've heard that they are way too text-heavy. Yes, No?

Also I thought I should mention Shining Soul II, it is super awesome! It's basically Diablo II with anime characters. It is, as imagined, exemplified in its awesomeness in multi-player but the single player is still a hell of a lot of fun. I've gone through the game with several characters.

Another mention is Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure, it's very similar to the Treasure GBA platform shooters but more focused on melee fighting instead of pew pew. The game has a ton of extra content and an insane amount of playable characters PLUS an wholly separate one-on-one 2D fighter. Plus, who can deny the cuteness of little Goku and Krillin? NOBODY, that's who. Don't let the license foll you, this is a FANTASTIC game.

Also you MUST get Sting's games, Riviera and Yggdra Union for the production values alone. Plus, they're awesome games. Riviera is a graphical Choose Your Own Adventure book with RPG battles and Yggdra Union is a very fresh twist on the Strategy RPG.

Summon Night Swordcraft Story 1 & 2 are both great as well, they're basically dungeon crawling Tales games with a heavy emphasis on crafting weapons with materials. They're both annoyingly talkative, but the gameplay is utterly fantastical 2D Side-Scrolling Action RPG yumminess.

My final suggestion (for now) would be Puyo Pop, the last great Puyo Puyo game before Sonic Team murdered the series with the craptacular Puyo Puyo Fever series. This is basically an expanded version of the best Puyo game, Puyo Puyo Sun, made portable. It's my personal favorite puzzle series just based on the fact on how much skill it takes to set up and execute chains and combos. Let's pour a forty for our departed friends at Compile.

Odrion

Banned
Well the GBA still had software in 2004 and 2005.

The Gameboy Advance definitely has one of the strongest libraries outside of the PS2.

Pojo

Banned
Wario Ware Twisted is not only vastly superior to the GBA original, which was excellent in its own right, but it has so many secrets and minigames to collect and play that it'll keep you busy for a long time.

I still play it. Apple Siege and Mewtroid are the best, and you can't beat my hi scores. >:O

Don't forget this great platformer:

570101_9546_front.jpg

It's pretty easy, but great fun. Only got a release in Europe though I think

Jme

Only good until 6/26/08, but I figure this will help out a few people reading this thread:

3128exf.jpg

Baron

rockman_exe_4_gbasp_08.jpg

I bought this GBA SP last week from a certain game importer, it should be arriving Tuesday. Can't wait to get it. I already have a GBA SP+, but this one is one of the first model GBA SPs with the front-lighting. I had one of these way back when they first came out, but sold it for the + model. I've found that the plus model with the better backlighting looks better for indoor playing, but is a visual mess outdoors in the sunlight. The old front-light GBAs have reflective screens that look much better in the sunlight.

This'll be my fourth GBA system, and I'll be buying second Micro soon for my fifth. It's a sickness.

DoubleTap

The lack of Super Robot Taisen OG 1 and 2 is disturbing, seeing as the GBA is the only platform worthy of a non-japanese version for this series.

Daigoro

a mortal sin was commited when you included Counter Punch instead of/before Hajime No Ippo.

Ippo is one of the finest games on the GBA.

also, im suprised no one made any comments on your write up of Harmony of Dissonance. it received lots of hate around here. (i was just playing it earlier on my Micro)

The absence of Ninja Five-0, Kururin Paradise and the MMZ series isn't just appalling, it's downright offensive.

edit: That said, great thread, and mad props for recognizing the overlooked MOH: Infiltrator.

B.K.

Linkzg said:
Do they even sell GBASP+ anymore?

No. No brick and mortar stores have new GBAs or Micros in stock anymore. You might find some websites that have them or Gamestops that are selling used ones.

lupin23rd

Are all the Megaman Zero games pretty decent?

And is Metal Slug Advance a port of one of the previous games, or a unique game?

Thinking about expanding on my GBA library in the future.

Rlan

Arturo said:
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams

klonoaempireofdreams-box.jpg

• Developer: Namco
• Publisher: Namco
• Release: US 2001 | EU 2002
• Description:
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams may be "yet another platformer," but you really have to appreciate all the thought that went into the each of the level designs in this extensive game. You don't just wander from left to right collecting tokens to get to the very end...serious thinking is required to advance through all of the game's stages.

• Screenshots:

klonoaempireofdreams-ss01.png
klonoaempireofdreams-ss02.png
klonoaempireofdreams-ss03.png

klonoaempireofdreams-ss04.jpg
klonoaempireofdreams-ss05.jpg
klonoaempireofdreams-ss06.jpg

YES YES YES

Seriously, one of the best 2D platformers I've played. The puzzles are fanatstic. I feel smarter playing this game.

Jazzem

I really miss Klonoa :( I loved that game (And finished it as I remember) but lost it while on holiday. Quite tempted to pick it up again.

I'm also getting Fire Emblem GBA this week, I really can't wait :) It'll be my first Fire Emblem game as well.

lupin23rd said:
Are all the Megaman Zero games pretty decent?

And is Metal Slug Advance a port of one of the previous games, or a unique game?

Thinking about expanding on my GBA library in the future.

1) Yes, but MMZ2 and 3 are especially fantastic.

2) It's unique, but not nearly as good as the main series.

rSpooky

gaf has read my mind. cause I too have just picked up a micro this weekend. Which makes it my 6th gameboy (orginal 2x, color,advance, advance sp and now micro) I just keep coming back to it :)

LCfiner

thank you for this thread Arturo. great stuff. I'm looking for some new games for my GB Micro and this thread is a godsend.

Rlan said:
YES YES YES

Seriously, one of the best 2D platformers I've played. The puzzles are fanatstic. I feel smarter playing this game.

I only played the 2nd one but I agree (finished it 100% a couple weeks ago). The puzzles in the last world were really inventive, got me thinking for some long minutes :lol:. Plus it has that and some tough platforming section in the EX stages. Only downside are the annoying hoverboard stages.

Good topic. GBA has a really good collection of great games. I see some missing so far and some I find strange being on here, but overall, good list.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Pokemon Pinball deserves a spot, I think. I'm not a Pokemon fan, but it's a solid pinball title either way.

lyre

You put in Harmony of Disappointment and not the MM Zero series or the MMnB port?

Not even mention of the MM Battle Network games or ST!NG games?

Your list really should be at least ... three times as large.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Question... Are GBA games region free? My brain tells me that they are free but I wanted to check before dropping the cash on games.

Also, keep the thread banner. Its perfect.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The truely horrific part of this is that I could add 30 or so titles off the top of my head that should be added.

50 or 60 if I included imports.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku II has AWESOME pixel art. Seriously awesome.

And whoever did the graphics has amazing taste in games:

25sls0g.jpg

From Top Left, Counterclockwise: Final Fantasy II, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, (Unknown).

jarrod

Banned
A few quick dev corrections...

Zelda: The Minish Cap = Flagship & Capcom Production Studio 1
Castlevania HOD = KCE Tokyo
Castlevania COTM = KCE Kobe
Klonoa EOD = Klonoa Works (Namco)
Super Mario Advance 4 = Nintendo R&D2 (only)
Game & Watch Gallery 4 = TOSE software
Kingdom Hearts COD = Jupiter & Square Enix PDD1
Metal Slug Advance = Noise Factory
FFTA = Square Enix PDD4
Digidrive = Q Games

JaMarco

lyre said:
You put in Harmony of Disappointment and not the MM Zero series or the MMnB port?

Not even mention of the MM Battle Network games or ST!NG games?

Your list really should be at least ... three times as large.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Arctic Feather said:
While this thread is great for Western releases is the anywhere that has a list of good Japanese imports?
Here are some of my imports I would recommend:

Klonoa Heroes
Monster Gate
Mr. Driller A
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 3
Tales of the World: Cosplay Dungeon 2

Jonnyram

Awesome thread.
However Max Payne was not developed by Treasure - it was developed by Mobius/Rage/Rockstar Leeds, whatever their name was at the time.

andymcc

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Another mention is Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure, it's very similar to the Treasure GBA platform shooters but more focused on melee fighting instead of pew pew. The game has a ton of extra content and an insane amount of playable characters PLUS an wholly separate one-on-one 2D fighter. Plus, who can deny the cuteness of little Goku and Krillin? NOBODY, that's who. Don't let the license foll you, this is a FANTASTIC game.

This game is so overlooked and awesome, it's ridiculous. It's in the bargain bins of pretty much every video game store. Last time I was in K-B Toys, it was $10. A real steal.

I move to mention Mother 3. The only way you can play it in English is patched, though. That didn't stop me, though. Bought it Day One and fought through it, language barrier and all.

Princess Skittles said:
Here are some of my imports I would recommend:

Klonoa Heroes
Monster Gate
Mr. Driller A
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 3
Tales of the World: Cosplay Dungeon 2
so there's no plan to localize it then ? :(

Arturo

Jonnyram said:
Awesome thread.
However Max Payne was not developed by Treasure - it was developed by Mobius/Rage/Rockstar Leeds, whatever their name was at the time.

Sorry! My mistake. These are the problems of copy/paste… :p

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Arturo said:
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

bs-sott-box.jpg

• Developer: Revolution Software Ltd.
• Publisher: BAM! Entertainment
• Release: US & EU 2002
• Description:
BAM and Revolution Software have managed to pull off an engrossing story with Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. While the genre won't likely be resurrected by this title, it will at least get a solid bang before it possibly disappears for good. While there's no replay value, the game does require some solid hours and is absolutely worth the time you put into it.

• Screenshots:

bs-sott-ss01.png
bs-sott-ss02.png
bs-sott-ss03.jpg

bs-sott-ss04.jpg
bs-sott-ss05.jpg
bs-sott-ss06.jpg

One of my all time favourite games. I'll play it on PSP nowadays, but at the time it was released it was like a freaking gift from heaven.

Top Bottom