• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gameboy Advance Software Thread of Micro Pleasures for Great Pocket Justice

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Arctic Feather said:
Don't forget this great platformer:

570101_9546_front.jpg

It's pretty easy, but great fun. Only got a release in Europe though I think

This is also very under appreciated; very cool concept.

BitchTits

One of my favorite games is Mario Vs Donkey Kong. An excellent mix of platform and puzzle. I know it's the sequel or successor to Donkey Kong '94 on the original Gameboy, which I've never played unfortunately.

The game is very portable-friendly, with levels being short little chunks of addictive gameplay. I think my favorite thing about the game is the music and sound design, I replay the game just for the sound of it sometimes :lol

PA.05374.006.jpg
PA.05374.001.jpg

I was kind of disappointed with the DS sequel which is more of a Lemmings type game.

Jme

This thread inspired me to pick up some games I was missing, either sold or lost them or something...

So I (re)bought Drill Dozer and Astroboy Omega Factor from Gamestop - with the 20% off coupon it ran me a total of 11 bucks after tax. Awesome.

Now to set up my Gameboy Player on my 'cube... :D

For anyone interested in picking up FF VI Advance, I bought mine at Circuit City yesterday for $16.99 (on clearance from $30). There were two left when I got to the store, so YMMV, but fantastic deal.

EDIT: Awesome thread, keep up the great work

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Hey, I just bought Wario Ware, Inc. and Twisted last week and I'm super into them. I'd like to play Rhythm Tengoku, but will there be a serious language barrier?

I have a question for you guys. I got a bunch of gba games off of half.com, one of them being DKC 3, and the game is slow as hell. I heard nothing about terrible slowdown in any of the reviews, so could something be wrong with my cart? What could possibly make it run so slow? And I tried it on my micro, sp, and ds lite. All the same. I got DKC 1 and 2 from the same guy and they play fine.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So what's the juju on Scourge: Hive and Juka and the Monophonic Menace? They're both late released action-adventure games that looked really good but got passed on because of the DS. Are they sleeper hits or mediocre games dropped to grab a piece of the GBA pie once everyone else moved on to the DS?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am planning to get a Game Boy or a DS + Flash Cart when the Mother 3 translation is finished.

Question, is the Micro good for text in RPGs? I remember reading that sometimes the screen can seem a bit too small. I'd probably want to check out the Golden Suns as well. I just hate that so many bootlegs are out there.

sorry to spoil your party with tech details, then here i am:

Street fighter alpha 3, with all it's huge list of characters, but limited ending and opening, well, it wasn't exaclty the best they could have done.

The cart size is 64mb, and the gba could go up to 256, now consider that almost all voices, moves and characters (i believe it even has liek 4 new chars) are included, they could have pulled a super game with 128 ...

Nekobo

Soneet said:
I don't know who made the list but that person has freakin' excellent taste!! All the nice gems I was thinking of ("it better be on the list!") are in there ^-^

I was thinking the exact same thing...and I agree! Great list. I'm going to hit up the local game shops to look for Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars.

As for your list, I'd add: the rest of the bit gen games, the Summon Nights games, Super Puzzle Fighter II, Lunar Legends, Super Street Fighter II: Turbo X Revival (or whatever it's called), King of Fighters EX2: Howling Blood, the Mega Man Zero games, Mega Man & Bass, Yggdra Union, and Mother 3.

d+pad

This thread pushed me to *finally* go out and buy a copy of Rhythm Tengoku. I've salivated over YouTube vids of the game for some time now, but never ended up sealing the deal for some reason. Can't wait until it in my grubby little paws! :lol

farnham

Banned
I saw a Gameboy micro for like 30 euros two years ago.. the retailers wanted to get rid of it because of the DS Lite back then... Now the GBM costs about 50 euros... And I want it for my Play Yan Micro

Hero

Princess Skittles said:
So Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku II has AWESOME pixel art. Seriously awesome.

And whoever did the graphics has amazing taste in games:

25sls0g.jpg

From Top Left, Counterclockwise: Final Fantasy II, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, (Unknown).

Looks like Super Mario Kart to me.

Also, you didn't list Mega Man Zero. WTF? Pokemon?

Alright, GAF, are there any good (non-Pokemon) GBA roguelikes?

I've done some searching, and I'll I've seen are the Torneko games and Monster Gate, neither of which I could find reliable impressions for.

I got Klonoa GBA at GameStop today for $5 :D

The store was about to close so I was rushed, but as I was about to leave I saw it. It's awesome so far.

When the 20% off coupon says "Expires June 26th," does that mean it expires when the store closes on June 26th?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
clockradiospeakers said:
Alright, GAF, are there any good (non-Pokemon) GBA roguelikes?

I've done some searching, and I'll I've seen are the Torneko games and Monster Gate, neither of which I could find reliable impressions for.
Torneko is up there with Shiren (they're very, very similar actually), but it would require some reading ability. Monster Gate on the other hand requires very little reading (all the items and skills are through card that have picture on them), it's very simple but still fun. You won't get much too of a challenge out of it though but for a portable rougelike, it does the job.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Guybrush Threepwood said:
When the 20% off coupon says "Expires June 26th," does that mean it expires when the store closes on June 26th?
Anybody got an answer for this one?

Either I go swimming tonight or I go pick up my Magical Quest 3.

You should be able to use the coupon today. I've used a bunch of their 20-25% off used coupons on the last day the receipt says it's valid. You could always can and ask before making itinerary changing plans, I guess. ;)

Mutagenic said:
Hey, I just bought Wario Ware, Inc. and Twisted last week and I'm super into them. I'd like to play Rhythm Tengoku, but will there be a serious language barrier?

I speak Japanese but I don't think that there should be too much of a barrier for you. You might fail a few of the challenges that involve spoken cues the first couple times, but I think you'd probably be able to distinguish the different words pretty quickly. I'd say go for it. It really is an amazing game.

Twig

Banned
Green Tentacle said:
I speak Japanese but I don't think that there should be too much of a barrier for you. You might fail a few of the challenges that involve spoken cues the first couple times, but I think you'd probably be able to distinguish the different words pretty quickly. I'd say go for it. It really is an amazing game.
I don't speak Japanese and found the game perfectly playable. It is my second favorite GBA game!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Spyro Eternal Night really is an amazing game. It's a damn shame that it had so much going against it (dozens of garbage games before it, a GBA release three years after the DS crushed it, bad versions with the same title on every other platform, developer know for making crap, etc., etc.) that people never paid any attention to it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Since nobody will go to the link, I'll pate some key points here.

Yes, I just called a Spyro game great. Stop looking so shocked. We’ll start with the gameplay. You’ve played 2D platformers before. You travel to the left or the right, fight enemies, and avoid obstacles. Nothing too surprising here. What really makes this game stand out, however, is the combat. Spyro’s combat plays out like a two-dimensional version of Devil May Cry. By striking your opponents in different ways, you’ll build up your combo meter. The bigger the combo, the more experience you’ll gain to beef up the various elemental powers that you learn throughout the game. The system is simple to learn, but surprisingly deep for a GBA brawler.

The enemies that you fight aren’t the pushovers you might expect. They all have their own weaknesses and strengths, and a lot of them can kick your ass. During the later areas, you can expect to die a fair amount. The bosses are also fairly creative. This, combined with the combo system, pretty much ensure that the game never gets boring.
What really makes this game stand out, however, is the combat. Spyro’s combat plays out like a two-dimensional version of Devil May Cry. By striking your opponents in different ways, you’ll build up your combo meter. The bigger the combo, the more experience you’ll gain to beef up the various elemental powers that you learn throughout the game.
Spyro’s combat plays out like a two-dimensional version of Devil May Cry.

Tanukid

Haha! Spyro and Devil May Cry in the same sentence! Who'da thunk?:lol

Still makes me sad this great game went under my radar. =(

mjc

I looked everywhere for a copy of this Spyro game you guys are talking about, finally found one for sale on eBay for $18 shipped. Was it shipped out with limited quantities last fall or what?

Gen-X

Banned
Question, I'm a big fan of FFT for the PS1..it was such a great game and I loved it. What I'm wondering is if I should give FFTA a shot? And is it anywhere near as good as FFT? Oh and I just bought the FF IV GB Micro thing looks pretty sweet :D

mjc

Gen-X said:
Question, I'm a big fan of FFT for the PS1..it was such a great game and I loved it. What I'm wondering is if I should give FFTA a shot? And is it anywhere near as good as FFT? Oh and I just bought the FF IV GB Micro thing looks pretty sweet :D

I think you'll enjoy it so long as you don't set your expectations too high. The story and environments are totally different from the PS1 game but the gameplay is just as good or almost better. (Depends on who you talk to)

mjc said:
I looked everywhere for a copy of this Spyro game you guys are talking about, finally found one for sale on eBay for $18 shipped. Was it shipped out with limited quantities last fall or what?

you can find it on amazon, too, cheaper than that. i found a copy of it when i hit up a gamestop today, got it for $6.99 using one of those 20% off coupons/edge card combo. also made out with superstar saga, megaman batlte network 3 (i noticed that series' not on the list), and nanostray, but that belongs in another thread.

gr8 thread btw

No! I can save it. I went into fye and found a used copy of these two Castlevania games all in one game! Funny enough my friend, who works there, told me as I was checking out that it was his old copy he sold there.

IMG_02641.jpg

Put a little time in both and I like it a bunch so far.

mjc

Both of those are awesome games, all around fun. I forgot that those double packs came out last year...pretty cool.

JoeMartin

I'm currently playing through Drill Dozer (use it for downtime during WOW). Fantastic game. I picked up Riviera too and played through the first hour or so. Fantastic concept, great looking, and I'll definitely give it the whole playthrough it looks to deserve.

This thread and the recent Gamestop coupon have gotten me reinterested in the GBA, so I've been keeping an eye on the thread. I've gotten lately...

From GS for about 65 bucks:

Astro Boy - Thanks to this thread
Banjo Pilot - I put this on my list to get at GS since it was cheap and looked decent enough from viewing a screenshot. Unfortunately, it's pretty much a typical Mario Kart clone even though you're piloting planes. Being in a plane just means you can move up and down to grab powerups. It's kind of funny that you slow down when you go off the track even though you're up in the air flying.
Drill Dozer - Thanks to this thread
Game & Watch Gallery 4 - Thanks to this thread
LoZ: LttP
Mario Party Advance
Spy Hunter/Super Sprint - DSI Games has seemingly released about a billion of these double/triple pack games for GBA and DS. That alone should have made me concerned the games would suck. I'd also read a very negative review of Whiffle Ball for DS and was annoyed when reading their Uno DS doesn't support single-cart multiplayer (else I would have bought it). Sure enough, both games on this cart are crappy conversions. It's a shame, because I loves me some Super Sprint for NES.
Wolfenstein 3D - I got this thinking it might be fun to laugh at if it was really bad, but it's seemingly (been a long time since I played the shareware on PC) a good conversion of the original game. Character movement's pretty choppy, but it's playable. I was very surprised to see all the Nazi symbols and depictions of Hitler included, considering the format and remembering how stuff was changed for the SNES version.
Yoshi's Island
Zelda II

Incoming from Goozex for 1000 points (about $20 out of pocket):

Broken Sword - Thanks to this thread
Crazy Taxi: Catch a Ride - I'm always curious about these THQ published games based on Sega properties. Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, and Virtua Tennis were all pretty good I thought. This one got pretty low review scores I think, but I'm still curious about it.
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
GBA Video: Shrek 2 - My niece has a DS, so I'll probably give this to her just for the novelty of getting to watch video on her DS. But not before I check it out to see what a feature length movie compressed down to 32 MB size looks like.
Power Rangers Time Force/Ninja Storm Double Pack
Urban Yeti - I like keeping an eye on what Telegames does since they were one of the few Atari Lynx developers. It's amusing to me that they've been able to stick around so long, thanks mostly to being able to release 2D games for outdated Nintendo handheld hardware. One of these decades they'll be forced to make 3D games primarily and I will be sad. Anyway, the premise of this game seems delightfully absurd.

I wanna get that Spyro game you guys are talking about and Soccer Kid (another Telegames game)

Arturo

mjc said:
This thread is dead :(

Mmm… I hope not :) because I've been updating the list of games almost once a day :p

I've also added two new categories: Emulation and JP Imports. In Emulation I've added a few emulators for our GBA. I've started with the Gameboy/Gameboy color emulator and the NES one. I'm looking for the ZX Spectrum one, but I can't seem to find any updated information.

For the JP Imports category I've started with a great game, Hajime no ippo, The Fighting, but it would be great if someone could help with this category with the most import-friendly ones, suggestions, etc.

Cheers!

Neomoto

Why did you have to make this topic :( First the DS one and now this.. it makes me kinda sad because it reminds me how much games I still need to play, without the time to play them all!

Excellent topic, the GBA truly is one fuckawesome handheld despite being killed of a little early by the DS.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Arturo said:
Mmm… I hope not :) because I've been updating the list of games almost once a day :p
Suggestion: When you add a new game to the front page, post it as a reply as well.

Nice to see Legacy of Goku II on the list, it's surprisingly fun. I'm going to get the next one, Buu's Fury.

womp

Arturo said:

I've also added two new categories: Emulation and JP Imports. In Emulation I've added a few emulators for our GBA. I've started with the Gameboy/Gameboy color emulator and the NES one. I'm looking for the ZX Spectrum one, but I can't seem to find any updated information.

For the JP Imports category I've started with a great game, Hajime no ippo, The Fighting, but it would be great if someone could help with this category with the most import-friendly ones, suggestions, etc.

Cheers!

For GREAT justice...The best puzzle game ever created for the GBA.

Guru-logi-camp-box.gif

Guru Logic Champ

• Developer: Compile
• Publisher: Compile
• Release: JP 2001
• Description: The game's story mode sees the Champs, small yellow bird-like creatures who attempt to help free inhabitants of their neighbourhood. To do so, they must complete a series of logic puzzles. Each stage requires the player to complete an image by placing and removing blocks on the board.

ri5a1y.gif
jb5v7t.gif

n3ss

aka acr0nym
womp said:
For GREAT justice...The best puzzle game ever created for the GBA.

Guru-logi-camp-box.gif

Guru Logic Champ

• Developer: Compile
• Publisher: Compile
• Release: JP 2001
• Description: The game's story mode sees the Champs, small yellow bird-like creatures who attempt to help free inhabitants of their neighbourhood. To do so, they must complete a series of logic puzzles. Each stage requires the player to complete an image by placing and removing blocks on the board.

ri5a1y.gif
jb5v7t.gif

Should a game no one can buy be on the list though?

* i've been looking for this game for a year now... only luck is through amazon.jp

Top Bottom