• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Genso Suikoden V thread

Bebpo

Banned
We should take bets before it comes out on if it will be terrible like 3, blah like 1/4, or really really good like 2.

I'll put my money on "blah".

From around here I heard 4 is the terrible one and 3 is the blah one. 3 still has been sitting on my backlog to play, but I've watched the kickass intro a lot.

Soul4ger

Don't ever compare the original Suikoden to Suikoden IV. Ever.

You're no mothereffin' RPG Overlord. You're just a big penis.

I say this turns out really well.

Victrix

*beard*
I have nothing to add, given that I've somehow missed all the Suikoden games, but I really had to comment on those ENORMOUS FUCKING TITTIES JESUS CHRIST WHAT IN THE FUCK IS THAT

That's all

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
even if I wasn't interested in this game (which is not the case) I'll still buy it because Himuro has done a better job than Konami at advertasing Suikoden and I'm interested in part V sign me in.

btw

inrhpj.jpg

awesome.

Victrix said:
I have nothing to add, given that I've somehow missed all the Suikoden games, but I really had to comment on those ENORMOUS FUCKING TITTIES JESUS CHRIST WHAT IN THE FUCK IS THAT

That's all

Yeah, those certainly are some big tatas.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Himuro - I watched the trailer in the other thread and am prepared to eat my words a bit... though I still think the cinema graphics aren't too impressive, I really like the overhead map and the battles, reminds me a lot of the Suikoden games of old. So hopefully this game will turn out good, I didn't even try 4 due to all the negative reviews.

belgurdo

Banned
suikoden-v-20050920110235975.jpg

In addition to changing your personality, does the Sun Rune also have the benefit of giving you bodacious knockers too?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
how many of these threads are you going to make for this one game? :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
This is why I wanted a damn official thread, so I could have one thread and throw all the info into it.

This is my last SV thread, aside from the unevitable Suikoden V NA release thread.

It just seems a little early to be having a ton of threads on a game that's not even out in Japan for another 2 months. I mean there's no way this will still be on page 1 when the game is released in Feb, so you'll have to make another thread.

And sorry I didn't mean to turn your thread into a comparison one. I don't really want to compare them, but just say that Suikoden has not been so hot in the 3rd dimension and nothing shown so far has made V seem like it will be the game that finally does it IMO. Though I am glad they are going back to the large party battles.

Hate the in-game graphics of V though. Looks lacking in detail even for cell-shading and the art is weaker than any of the other games to date :\

Dead

well not really...yet
Bebpo said:
Hate the in-game graphics of V though. Looks lacking in detail even for cell-shading and the art is weaker than any of the other games to date :\
Damn, are you kidding? The character art in 4 was pretty damn bad. This is really reminiscent of Suikoden 2-3 if you want my honest opinion....

Blackace

Dead said:
Damn, are you kidding? The character art in 4 was pretty damn bad. This is really reminiscent of Suikoden 2-3 if you want my honest opinion....

no we were hoping you'd lie to us..

Bebpo

Banned
Dead said:

I like the main lead in V when it comes to character art. I don't really like the in-game models of anyone.

I think the biggest showcase of why I personally find it to have the weakest 2d art is the cover. Hmmm, well maybe it's better than Suikoden 1's cover art. But I liked the cast ensemble arts of 2/3/4.

I'm a fan of Kawano's art though. I really enjoyed all the portraits in Rhapsodia.

Blackace

Bebpo said:
I like the main lead in V when it comes to character art. I don't really like the in-game models of anyone.

I think the biggest showcase of why I personally find it to have the weakest 2d art is the cover. Hmmm, well maybe it's better than Suikoden 1's cover art. But I liked the cast ensemble arts of 2/3/4.

I'm a fan of Kawano's art though. I really enjoyed all the portraits in Rhapsodia.

we won't talk about the in-game look of that game.. now will we? carry on

Error

:lol Nash owned.

I hope Luc returns I mean this is between Suikoden 1 and 2 right? so Luc should be playable dammit.

also Pesmerga ^_^

Dead

well not really...yet
Blackace said:
no we were hoping you'd lie to us..
good one.

Anyways, oops guess I misunderstood what you meant but yeah, as far as the in-game models, it's not really worth goin on about, it's more of a personal preference whether you like the style they're going for or not....

Error

Himuro said:
I honestly hope Luc doesn't come back. As much as I love him to death, I think bringing him back would ruin the emotional aspect which happened in Suikoden III.
then what about
crowley05.gif

sure you got him late in the game but I dunno I always like to have an uber magic user in my party in Suikoden 1 it was Crowley in Suikoden 2 it was Luc and Mazus and in Suikoden 3 it was Sasarai. I honestly want 40% of the cast to be of returning characters yeah I want fan service dammit!

Regarding Pesmerga, at TGS 1up's interwer Shivam said that he asked the staff if Pesmerga and Yuber would make a return and the staff just smiled and were interuppted by the PR lady.
oh shit yes, hopefully they can clear some of the misteries regarding those two.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Hopefully we do get some Pesmerga and Yuber with a bit more story about the two. Also I wouldn't mind seeing both Nash and Sierra, even if only in a cameo role.

Error

pesmerga01.gif
VS
yuber01.gif

man a cutscene between this two fighting will propel this game to GOTY status IMO :lol

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Ahh, for some reason I was thinking Suikogaiden took place before Suikoden II, but you're right. I was just hoping to get a glimpse of Nash when he was a badass swordsman.

EAJAPAN

My money is on this game being awesome.

Also I encourage you folks to punch in the face anyone who badmouths Suikoden III. How the hell was that game anything less than fantastic? A Suikoden doesn't have to be as good as II to be considered excellent.

Error

EAJAPAN said:
My money is on this game being awesome.

Also I encourage you folks to punch in the face anyone who badmouths Suikoden III. How the hell was that game anything less than fantastic? A Suikoden doesn't have to be as good as II to be considered excellent.
I think Suikoden III was good because of this.
futch10.jpg

I remember seeing him when he was little then seeing him all badass looking in S3 I screamed like a girl in a Usher concert.

plus having Humphrey's sword didn't hurt ^_^

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I must say I really enjoyed 3 as well.

They should find some reason to have the greatest RPG character of all time in the game....

suikoden_flik.jpg

.....if the game takes place before S1 I suppose its possible.

Suikogaiden 1 takes place pretty much at the same time as Suikoden 2, you run into the regular characters at various stages of the Suikoden 2 story. Suikogaiden 2 takes place after it.

Tabris

Last Suikoden must deal with Harmonia.

It's where everything must go down.

It's where Riou, Jowy and Nanami are.

It's where the true runes are being gathered.

It's most likely where Pesmerga and Yuber will clash.

upon arriving in japan, one of the first things i did was buy suiko 2, just to play the mini games again.

I have save games right at the end of 3 and 4, but i can't bring myself to run the level grind long enough to beat them.

Buggy Loop

Omfg, just watched the last 2 trailers and im very very impressed, this is coming from someone that loathes suikoden 3. First, FUCKING FINALLY, the suikoden team finally made a graphic engine that doesnt put shame on konami, 2nd, kickass art, 3rd yay for top-down view. Duels looks fun, battle system seem to be top notch, good music composition in the trailers, good voice acting, kickass environments.

Looks to be a killer app next year.

So will this be out around the same time as FF12? Because, if so, FF12 FTW.

....I'm sorry this actually looks neat. No more FF talk.

Tabris

Himuro said:
Personally I can't wait to see what happens to Luc's prediction in III. Because Hugo and co. stopped him Order *will* happen. It'll be interesting seeing that happen in a future game when you could have went along with Luc's plan and sacrificed yourself and the whole grassland/Zexen area for the future of the planet. What would have happened if you did go along with Luc's plan?

If his prediction comes true, then that means Pesmerga will kill Yuber.

The Shield and The Sword. Order and Chaos. Pesmerga and Yuber.

All very interesting stuff.

Tabris

Thinking about it... I think I know how the Suikoden series will end.

Either Pesmerga kills Yuber and the "heroes" kill Pesmerga. Thus neither the sword or shield control the fate of man.

...or Pesmerga and Yuber are re-united into "the tear from the darkness". That then is killed by the "heroes" and again, man's fate is no longer controlled.

Himuro said:
But Suikoden games are light in terms of level grinding because of the awesome level up system...

don't get me wrong, i live and die for suikoden (though not as much as you, sadly. i still need to level!), but the end game always kills me. In four i need to level a ton of guys to have viable parties to take out the end dungeon and ships and crap, and i just dont have the patience. In 3, my party is suboptimal for whatever reason, and luc owns the crap out of me.

but i've already put down my money for the super edition of V, and having played the demo many times, i'm confident that i will still love the ever living shit out of it.

Himuro said:
Well Suikoden IV had the worst final dungeon EVER and the end game SUCKED. I didn't know where to level or anything, and it was first Suikoden to have a level 99 cap wasn't it? I Suikoden I-III however, I just go walk around the map and fight enemies, and easily level up my guys. When I replay them, I level up every character to the max level, level up all of their weapons ;etc.

You've played V's demo? I hate you! Info please! How was it?

I plan on importing Suikoden V's limited edition..I'm still thinking on whether I should or not, I seriously want those goodies that are in there but I doubt we'll get them. :(

dude, i've posted about it on suikosource, and you've reposted much of that info here =)
(psst-i'm shivam)

And dude, if you're any type of suiko trueblood, you're all over the ltd ed. I know i am =) Of course, i'm still reeling from the giant box of suiko crap the producers sent to me =)

Tarazet

I just recently started playing Suikoden I, and I'll have Suikoden II by the end of next week. I started with III and I thought it was great, but it would probably feel really soulless going back to it now from the original game. Suikoden I may be way too easy - you don't even need a special item to revive characters outside of battle? - but coming from the sea of blah PS2 RPGs lately, this game feels like it has a real heart. That's the sort of thing I really respond to in RPGs...

not on your life =)
Complete figure collection, Complete Suiko CCG set, plus clear folders from the ccg and rhapsodia, osts for IV, Rhapsodia, and OZ, the game OZ itself, and other promo stuff from TGS. When i first saw the box drop on my doorstep, i nearly soiled myself.

I lobbied hard for them to include the gaidens in the PSP release, but i dont think i was successful =)

Top Bottom