• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Genso Suikoden V thread

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
Advertisement:

New English footage:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2158

And most importantly, the man's review:

Game of the year 2006.

It is coming. Suiko fans rejoice.

No offense, but that guy sounds like the biggest Suikoden fanboy in the world. ^^; Suikoden V is ok and maybe better than III/IV (I'm actually thinking III/IV were a lot better in certain areas than V), but yeah his end statement about how people who didn't like III/IV should buy it and play it is not true. Not true at all. If you couldn't deal with the problems in III/IV and enjoy those games, you're not going to enjoy V. The only people that will like V are the people who liked III and IV.

Jeremy pretends to be a fan? That's a little extreme, don't you think?

He may not be anywhere near as hardcore as Bluemoon about Suikoden (how would he have the time?) but suggesting his love of the series is contrived seems a little ludicrous. Even more so since we're talking about a series which isn't exactly zealously beloved by the IGN community. If we were talking about Nippon Ichi perhaps then I could see justified accusatons of intent but with Suikoden? I just don't see it.

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
So to call Blue Moon just one big Suikoden fanboy just because he liked a game that he atleast gave a chance instead of complaining about subjective issues seems silly to me. Especially since the majority (ie. 80% of the Japanese impressions agree with him). Granted, I haven't played it, but it seems Bebpo hasnt put that much amount of time in the game either.

I call him out on being a fanboy because just ignores stuff that's terrible and and only talks about the good points. Yes, I've actually played a lot more since I posted here last and got a decent way into the main game and the more I played the worse the game got. The story is good...but that's it. If the story wasn't good I would have dropped the game long ago since everything else about the game is just bad or average.

Like he talks about the large scale strategical battles and how they're realtime but he doesn't even make a statement on their quality. That's because they are total complete shit. Seriously these are the worst strategical battles in the entire series.

He also clearly ignores problems with the world map just dumping you out and expecting you to search all over for some random place when the camera is so bad you can't see 5 feet ahead of you.

It's not that Suikoden V is not has high quality as FFXII or Devil Summoner, it's that it's not as high quality and 90% of the rpgs released on PS2. The gameplay is stale, boring, and riddled with problems, the graphics suck, the music is repetitive because the loops are so short, the load times are terrible, never during the entire game will you actually have "fun" playing. You're just walking around doing the stuff because you like Suikoden and want to see how the story plays out, not because it's enjoyable in anyway.

I'd say both III and IV are more "fun" than V, but V is a better game with better design choices. Because of that, and because it's like 50 hours+, I'll bet that this is the first Suikoden many fans of the series never even bother finishing and just shelve. This game has essentially killed the franchise and unless VI is a major step up, I think the fanbase is going to drop in 1/2.

Tarazet

Awesome... great storytelling = instant buy. I've played all kinds of games that had thrilling mechanics but gave me no reason to keep playing, but I treasure much more the ones where the story is so good that I keep playing regardless of any faults.

ronito

Bebpo said:
I'd say both III and IV are more "fun" than V.
Well that just killed any interest I had in Suikoden V. I've had enough of RPGs that aren't fun. I can get good stories from reading, an RPG has to least be fun to hold my attention. Xenosaga taught me that painful lesson.

mint

Banned
bebpo, i'm playing shadow hearts: ftnw for now and will play KH2, then ffxii. do u think i'm making a good selection for the rpg year? thanks! (i have japanese ffxii, but i dun think i want to go far since i do not understand japanese)

Bebpo

Banned
mint said:
bebpo, i'm playing shadow hearts: ftnw for now and will play KH2, then ffxii. do u think i'm making a good selection for the rpg year? thanks! (i have japanese ffxii, but i dun think i want to go far since i do not understand japanese)

Ummm, sure. I dunno. It depends on what you like :p But I can say that both KHII and FFXII are very high quality titles that are definitely worth playing. Other good stuff might be Tales of the Abyss (if it comes over), Front Mission 5, Valkyrie Profile 2 (looks like it should be good), Devil Summoner, and probably Disgaea 2 (haven't had time to play it, but I'm sure it's good).

Honestly, unless you are a big Suikoden fan I wouldn't recommend buying SV at full price. It's just not worth the money or the time IMO. Renting it would probably be the best option.

Pellham

Banned
geez Himuro, i'm sure you'll still love Suikoden V. Just think of it this way, Bebpo plays thousands of RPGs, he's going to have pretty refined tastes. Suikoden fans only play Suikoden games. You're not gonna notice any of the flaws or "just average" stuff that Bebpo's noticed.

Tarazet

Pellham said:
geez Himuro, i'm sure you'll still love Suikoden V. Just think of it this way, Bebpo plays thousands of RPGs, he's going to have pretty refined tastes. Suikoden fans only play Suikoden games. You're not gonna notice any of the flaws or "just average" stuff that Bebpo's noticed.

Huh? Himuro plays a lot of RPGs in addition to the Suikodens, and I've played just about everything you can buy in the US. I don't see where you get off saying this.

Pellham

Banned
sonarrat said:
Huh? Himuro plays a lot of RPGs in addition to the Suikodens, and I've played just about everything you can buy in the US. I don't see where you get off saying this.

It'll be pretty damn obvious when you sit down and play Suikoden V.

For the record, i'm still looking forward to the game. I'm PROUD of the fact that I only play games I want to play, and not every single freakin' RPG that comes out. ;)

ethelred

Pellham said:

Um, okay. I am a Suikoden fan, and I still have played almost every console RPG thst has been released in America. I'm still a Suikoden fan. And given that Bebpo has forthrightly admitted that he hasn't played a lot of older RPGs, I'd say that overall, I've probably played at least as many as he has -- and I still disagree with his tastes a lot (Himuro cited Bebpo's complaints against Persona 3, and I'll echo those for one example).

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro, you will love the game. It's better than 3/4/1 if you don't mind its flaws and I'm sure you will have a good time without.

I'm really just talking to the non-hardcore Suikoden fans, who want to know if it's an rpg worth playing, and I don't feel it is coming from that side. As a Suikoden fan myself, I'll probably finish it eventually just for completion sake since I've finished every other Suikoden to date, but the thought of dozens more hours of not having fun just for completion really turns me off and makes me dislike the game. I want to be able to have fun while completing it, so I'm mad at the creators for not making the gameplay fun.

I've gotten to the point after playing so many rpgs this gen that gameplay is much more important than story or graphics/music. If a game doesn't have an interesting battle system, good dungeons, and good towns to go along with the plot...it just makes the game a chore to play even if the plot is good. Games are supposed to be fun, so I prefer the games that are fun. I don't care if an rpg is a black and white text adventure with no graphics nor music, if the gameplay was deep/fast, and the story was good it would rock. Slow/shallow is the worst kind of gameplay in the world IMO, and that's why I don't like SV.

mint

Banned
I never really enjoy RPGs with 50+ characters to control..wow..just thinking to the simple things like equipping and such is gonna be a freaking chore..that's brutal. Hope you have fun with that.

opinion: there is NO freaking way to create 108 memorable characters..and i hate characters that are just filler.

I'll obviously try suikoden V sure..but at least I'm not a freaking fanboy of the series..I can give a review from a newbie standpoint.

mint

Banned
+70?..that's pretty impressive..i really hated CC..CC is like FFX with better looking menus and buttload characters..and i hate ffx.

Mudo

I've been buying Suikoden games since the day 1 came out and really enjoyed all of them except 4. I see a lot of mixed opinions on the game, but I'm still going to drop 40 bucks next week if for nothing else to get the bad taste that 4 left out of my mouth :)

I've seen a little commenting on the music. I consider 2 to have the best music of the series with all of the strong, memorable tunes in it. S3 however was more atmospheric background music and wasn't nearly as good. Where does the music in V stand, closer to 2 or 3 based on what I said.

Sadly, music in games is one of the most important factors. I can play and enjoy an rpg with incredible music even if it falls very short in some other critical area. Weird, huh.

mint

Banned
Ok, after seeing that preview, the graphics are "meh" at best; its not spectacular. The battle system looks "bleh" as well. I can visualize myself just using whatever "auto combat" system they feature over and over to grind, except boss fights. The formation feature is somewhat interesting, since it adds benefit/weakness to the battle, however. Hopefully that, along with the story, will manage to keep up the game. But I know for sure the only purpose each character will do is attack, or heal. And I don't need 108 characters to do that.

mint

Banned
Wow, now that sparks some interest. I never thought of that, haha. Ok, I actually want to play it now. SH got pretty repetitive, so I quit that.

I saw those videos you posted. I really get annoyed how all characters "glide" to the enemy like on ice skates or something. And long spells are sooo ff8, which i hate.

mint

Banned
oh..i hope all spells aren't too long then.

that was one perk SH had....really short spells, but to the point. Sadly, it's like you're warping back in time because the game is very repetitive.

The voice acting is decent enough, considering the huge cast. I was thinking of waiting a bit with this since Oblivion is hitting soon, but I can't wait now. Gotta get both and alternate. Good thing I'm unemployed :D

I did track down the artbook that came with the limited edition, since I couldn't get the box itself. It's quite good, but only a small portion is dedicated to the characters, and it only lists 60ish of them (the playable ones, I would guess). I really like the character designs of several of them, so I'll have no problem setting up a team of six favourites. Oh, and it seems like
Jeane
is playable.

Has anyone taken a look at the DVD that came with the LE? Is it worth about $20 separately for a huge Suikoden fan?

mint

Banned
gamebrink.com has a review

Loading is awful
War battles are bad
Graphics are pretty bad
Pacing is bad
Battles are a bit slow and boring

oh crap, is this by bebpo?? hahah wow

kiun

Billy Rygar said:
I picked up two pre-order bonuses for this. Gamecrazy has an art cell and EB has the Artbook/Soundtrack combo. Both very nice.

could you post pics of the art cell ?

sui58aj.jpg

My preorder from Gamestop.com (with artbook and OST) just shipped. Should be here Thursday or Friday.

The cell does nothing for me, as I'd never hang anything like that on a wall in my home.

I could pull an Amir0x!

Think of this topic being similar to that FF12 countdown topic. 13 pages in probably isn't the best place to start a 'game is released, lets talk about playing it now' series of posts?

god, i can't wait to play it in english this time. the 15 hours i put into it were fucking awesome, but my head was starting to hurt from having to slowly puzzle out all the kanji.

oh well. at least my suikoden ipod comes tomorrow =)

Top Bottom