• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

pakkit

Banned
At least you got to peep dat ass. :lol

It's weird, even though it was boring as hell, BWii seemed really non-buggy. I guess that's what happens when Nintendo tests your products.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Wait, reading GameFaqs (yes, yes) it appears I need to hold the shoot button down to shoot with the
mini-gun
:lol

If that's it I'm going to look pretty stupid. :lol

witness

Getting this today from gamefly, can't wait to play this co op with my girl, she gets scared of everything (jumpy) sooooooo :lol

Great King Bowser said:
Wait, reading GameFaqs (yes, yes) it appears I need to hold the shoot button down to shoot with the
mini-gun
:lol

If that's it I'm going to look pretty stupid. :lol

Prepare to look pretty stupid... :lol

The minigun needs to spin up, so you do need to hold down the trigger...

markatisu

Cosmonaut X said:
Nope. It seems as though the framerate is unstable throughout the game with no real rhyme or reason - I still get jerky moments on everything from Papa's Palace of Pain all the way through to Overkill in both Story and Director's Cut.

I think they are more noticeable in the 1st level then any of the others, as the game progresses you are forced into more narrow and confined areas (like the prison, the train, and the underground). The 1st level you are wondering through the house and especially in directors cut you are outside

What's everyone's opinion on the best level and weapon to achieve a 2 minute goregasm? I did it on Scream Train, but on Ballistic Trauma I achieved about a 3 minute one. A maxed out autoshotgun is the best weapon for it, instant kill and it has a wide target area.

You should be able to get a 2-3min one easy in Papa's Palace of Pain just using the regular shotgun (maxed out), just ease up on the trigger and wait for them to get closer to ensure a possible headshot or 1 shot kill
Didn't you watch the cut-scene before hand?

He might have figured the gun they are using was not the same as the one he equipped, remember the cutscenes do not reflect what you have equipped

But still, holding down the shoot button should have been something he tried :lol

pakkit

Banned
Great King Bowser said:
Hey I didn't see you helping me before I realised my mistake!
I keed, I keed. I was looking for a cursor in that screenshot which was why I didn't catch it earlier.

Anyone have the 3rd video unlocked? I need to get the 15 brains in Overkill but it's pissing me off as I'm missing 2 of them and I didn't notice the 2 I missed in the 7 straight playthrus.....

Just wondering if its worth the headache...

Guys, I have a confession : the exact same thing happened to me :lol . I was playing cursor-less, getting my ass whooped by the boss as I thought the game glitched out on me, until I had the brilliant idea to hold the button. Then everything came together...

I started playing director's cut today and is fucking awesome.

I liked the normal mode, but when you play directors cut you really think you are playing a house of the dead arcade game.
I didn't die in all the game and in Papa Caesar's Palace of Pain in director's cut I died 2 times.
Fuck you, fast Uma Thurman Mutans!:lol

markatisu

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I started playing director's cut today and is fucking awesome.

I liked the normal mode, but when you play directors cut you really think you are playing a house of the dead arcade game.
I didn't die in all the game and in Papa Caesar's Palace of Pain in director's cut I died 2 times.
Fuck you, fast Uma Thurman Mutans!:lol

Directors Cut is awesome by itself but even better in 2 player. I dont know how many times my wife saved my ass because I could not get to one of the fast ones in Palace of Pain or the Jail

markatisu said:
Directors Cut is awesome by itself but even better in 2 player. I dont know how many times my wife saved my ass because I could not get to one of the fast ones in Palace of Pain or the Jail

I really, really have to try this with friends, every time I play I thing to myself... "Fuck! wouldnt be awesome doing this with two players?"
But fucking university, me and my friends have no time at the moment.

markatisu

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I really, really have to try this with friends, every time I play I thing to myself... "Fuck! wouldnt be awesome doing this with two players?"

Playing it co-op also helps you make sure you save the civilians (you each take out 1/2 the attacking zombies) and get the gold brains (I make my wife hunt for the gold brains while I fend off the zombies)

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Stormbringer said:
Guys, I have a confession : the exact same thing happened to me :lol . I was playing cursor-less, getting my ass whooped by the boss as I thought the game glitched out on me, until I had the brilliant idea to hold the button. Then everything came together...

If it was any other game I probably would have persevered and worked it out, but I assumed it was yet another bug or glitch and turned the Wii off in outrage.

I still don't have gunshot sounds coming from the main speakers for player 2 when playing co-op which is really strange. Anyone else have this problem?

MiniDitka

Great King Bowser said:
I still don't have gunshot sounds coming from the main speakers for player 2 when playing co-op which is really strange. Anyone else have this problem?

Yep, same thing happens to me.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dash Kappei said:
Sorry if I've missed it, any Perfect Shot owners had the chance to try the Hand Cannon?
How does it compare?

Maybe now you guys had a chance to try the game with both?

dyls

I can't decide if it should be its own thread or not, but we desperately need some high score comparisons. This game just feeds on trying to maximize score. Obviously should've been online high score tables, but what're you gonna do. I'll start with my best two scores: both on regular story mode with extra mutants, using a maxed out autoshotgun. I'm sure they'll quickly be crushed, but:

Ballistic Trauma

Carny

I'll keep the highest for each level in this post, with separate story mode and director's cut tables. To get the high score posted requires accompanying pic. Also post weapon used, please.

scitek

dyls said:
I can't decide if it should be its own thread or not, but we desperately need some high score comparisons. This game just feeds on trying to maximize score. Obviously should've been online high score tables, but what're you gonna do. I'll start with my best two scores: both on regular story mode with extra mutants, using a maxed out autoshotgun. I'm sure they'll quickly be crushed, but:
I'll keep the highest for each level in this post, with separate story mode and director's cut tables. To get the high score posted requires accompanying pic. Also post weapon used, please.
Whynot start a thread in the online matchup forum?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can someone help me out with a few things?

1. Why can't I get the Gangsta Bonus anymore? I've been holding my Wiimote sideways and I just can't seem to get the bonus anymore. I even tried using just the pistol. Nothing.

2. What is a goregasm and how do I get it?

3. What are some mad cash bonuses that are relatively easy to pull off?

pakkit

Banned
Dacvak said:
2. What is a goregasm and how do I get it?

3. What are some mad cash bonuses that are relatively easy to pull off?
2. Don't miss.
3. Don't miss (and get some headshots).

Goregasm is a score multiplier, the best cash bonuses come from getting great in-game scores, which come from maintaining that goregasm as long as possible and getting as many brains as possible and going for headshots.

I'd recommend using the shotgun on first playthrough since its wideshot gives you a bigger margin of error.

Possible answer to 1: you only get the bonus once after 50 kills gangsta style, after that it becomes a moot point and your rewards stop.

Anony

i finished regular mode myself, and play uncut with friends
i dont see any difference minus a few new sectors in each stage

also, maxed out weapons makes the game too easy, my friends finished one of the bosses in 10 secs with the autoshotgun

GaryD

I got the game with the hand cannons and it's cool and all but what the fuck is the go with the calibration. It seems fucked on my projector, do I need to play this on a 34cm TV to get it to aim remotely in the correct area? Is there anything I need to be aware of? I have a wireless sensor bar and its below the screen currently.

GaryD

stuminus3 said:
I cannot get enough of this game, I'm totally addicted. There's just something incredibly satisfying about getting some slo mofo time, and popping off five headshots in a row, I could do it over and over again.

Regarding calibration - a tip for widescreen users. You may have noticed you aim is off a little when you point to the sides of the screen; this is because the Wii sensor bar is actually meant for reading movement on a 4:3 screen, the calibration tool doesn't seem to take that into consideration. If you aim just a tiny bit to the left of the top-right target, and just a tiny bit to the right of the bottom right one, you'll find it to be much more accurate.

To the guys still having trouble, make sure you're leaving enough vertical distance between aiming at the top and bottom target.

I had trouble with it at first (which was weird because I didn't with Ghost Squad or HotD 2+3), now I've got it set to the point where it feels as good as a real arcade. Now I just need to know what does a brother gotta do to pacify a bitch???

Hmm thanks I guess I'll try stuffing around with it some more. I guess because my screen is so big 110" my whole arm needs to move to do the calibration. This seems just as shitty as the G1 "light guns" I bought for ps2 and xbox.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey guys, here's a question...

Does anyone else get a lot of jumpy framerate issues when shooting a ton of zombies at once? It seems like my game likes to freeze for a few frames (like it's loading something into the RAM) quite frequently.

razu

I could only get the game to calibrate properly if I sat further away than normal from the TV. Weird because other games have been fine.

Still, this is:

A) A SEGA game.
B) Built using "Blitz Tech", LOL.

Dash Kappei said:
Maybe now you guys had a chance to try the game with both?

Well I have the Hand Cannon and it looks cool and feels nice but the front is too heavy. Hard to balance. Colleagues who have both said the Perfect Shot is better balanced. They will sell the Hand Cannon.

stuminus3

dyls said:
Nice high scores.
So what affects what ranking you get? Is it purely score, or does it include accuracy, headshots, goregasms etc? I guess it's all the same, since all those things are needed for a high score anyway.

I don't have any S ranks yet, I always mess up my combo early in the level then just spend the rest of it going nuts. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You know, thinking about light gun games lately, I would really love to see one created with high end technology in mind. That is, I would love to see them exploit complex physics and environmental destruction in order to allow for a more interactive experience. Modern rail shooters are all still made with the sensibility of a game from the mid-90s, which isn't necessarily bad, but I'd like to see someone try and evolve the genre.

The Time Crisis style foot pedal would need to be in there, of course, as that adds a lot of depth to the genre.

Think of all the stuff developers have been aiming for in regards to materials destruction and physics. It becomes more demanding in an open environment, but an on-rails shooter could really allow them to go crazy with the interactions. The satisfaction you get from shooting enemies and the environment could be increased greatly. I think this could allow for more emergent gameplay within a railed environment.

It's a shame Time Crisis 4 failed to do anything of the sort (it's such a dated game).

I dunno, HotD and the announced Dead Space game have me thinking that the genre could make a come back. Obviously, they'd have to aim for a different platform, but the Guncon offered with TC4 would work really well.

Anyone else interested in seeing the genre evolve?

I know this isn't exactly related to HotD-Overkill directly, but I figured it was a good place to discuss it.

markatisu

dark10x said:
I dunno, HotD and the announced Dead Space game have me thinking that the genre could make a come back. Obviously, they'd have to aim for a different platform, but the Guncon offered with TC4 would work really well.

Anyone else interested in seeing the genre evolve?

I know this isn't exactly related to HotD-Overkill directly, but I figured it was a good place to discuss it.

I would not mind seeing it taken a bit further, they are still very much "arcade" based as far as how they are planned and arcades died in much of the world long ago.

I wonder if you could integrate the Wii Balance Board into a light gun game? maybe to turn directions while the game is moving?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
GaryD said:
Hmm thanks I guess I'll try stuffing around with it some more. I guess because my screen is so big 110" my whole arm needs to move to do the calibration. This seems just as shitty as the G1 "light guns" I bought for ps2 and xbox.

Dick measuring ahoy: I play games on my 120" CRT projector and don't have any problems myself with the calibration of THHTDO :D

Top Bottom