• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

Volcynika

33m4dop.jpg

-Basic Info-

The House of the Dead Overkill serves as a Grindhouse prequel to the first game in the series, and takes place in 1991 where Special Agent G – the protagonist of The House Of The Dead series – tells the story of his first assignment on leaving the AMS academy. Teamed up with Detective Washington and Varla Guns, they are sent to investigate stories of mysterious disappearances in a small town in Louisiana and to hunt down a villain known as Papa Caesar. However, little do they know about the blood-soaked mutant depravity that awaits them in the streets and swamps of Bayou City.

-History of Overkill-

Testimonials Doc
The Graphics Doc
The Experience Doc
Story Doc
Franchise History Doc

-Features-

*First HotD game exclusively for the Wii!

*Combo mode that you can raise to get a GOREGASM

*Two player co-op and four player minigames!

*Director's Cut mode to test you with even more challenges

*Dual Wield mode for you to take advantage of

Genre: Zombie-Killing

Rating: M (for Make them eat bullets)

Release Dates:

North America: February 10th, 2009
Europe: February 13th, 2009
Australia: February 19th, 2009

-Box Art-

357n2at.jpg

-Images-
50imv8.jpg
30wmr86.jpg

312v8mu.jpg
atmdr7.jpg

-Videos-

The Halloween Trailer
Developer Walkthrough at Comic-Con

-Reviews-

IGN: 8.3/10 -- (Video Review)
Eurogamer: 8/10
EDGE: 8/10
Game Informer: 8.5/10
1UP: B-
X-Play: 4/5
GameTrailers: 7.8/10

-Gaf Impressions/Reviews-
AssassiN - Early impressions
birdchili - Impressions after 3 chapters

I'm not that skilled at official threads, but I was sad that no one made a thread for this game! Hope it at least satisfies somewhat. Feel free to suggest things to add into the OP or anything like that, I welcome all opinions.

Hopefully enough Wii owners actually want the hardcore we've been waiting for, and that this game doesn't suffer like G did.

Aeana

I've only recently (within the last month) discovered that I actually quite like these sorts of games, so I'm definitely picking it up.

Volcynika

I want to order it online, and there's a deal on Amazon where you can get this plus a Nyko Perfect Shot for like $61, but I don't have the money to order two (since I'd totally need them for dual wield mode). Probably just order the game for now, but which online store to use....

EDIT: Thanks yoopoo, putting that in the OP.

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:
What the hell it's out this week!?

I didn't even know that, shiiiit. Time to order.

It seems like a lot of stuff is just going to drop at once. This week, Tenchu 4, Deadly Creatures, and this.

Might happen a lot this year.

Teknoman

Would be nice if we could get a weapons stat sheet in here. Does anything like that exist for the game yet?

The Suspects:

agentg.jpg

They call him only "G". Inexperienced but already highly trained and deadly, he graduated top of his class at the AMS academy and is now on his first assignment.

washington2.jpg

Hard-drinking, ladies' man Isaac Washington is a habitual rule and heart-breaker. Doing whatever needs to be done to exact revenge for his father's death at the hands of Papa Caesar.

cesar.jpg

Deranged crime lord and Chinese food fan Caesar has forced Varla’s brother Jasper into devising a strange compound with mutational powers. With the help of the local prison warden he sets to work transforming the innocent inhabitants of Bayou City.

varla.jpg

The hottest stripper on the Bayou City club scene, Varla is also sister to crippled scientist genius Jasper Guns. When the trouble starts she starts kicking ass, while a sordid love triangle between her and our two heroes heads for a tragic conclusion.

EDIT: Anyone else know that the game had melee motion controls for close calls?

Lightning quick Wii Remote reactions: Get knee-deep in the dead with motion-sensitive Wii controls. Pump your shotgun, slam a fresh mag home in that 9-mil and work your lever-action rifle. When the zombies get too close, pistol whip their jaws off or cave in some heads with the butt of your gun – all in sickening close-up range!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Had my preorder in with Amazon for days now, will have it just as soon as Prime gets it here. I can't wait!

May have to pick up a couple of those Nyko guns... hmm.

Eteric Rice

Costanza said:
I wish I still had my Wii :( I really want to play this.

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T SELL CONSOLES YOU BUY.

Eventually something will come that you'll want.

Now go out and buy a new one.

Volcynika said:
If you have the Nyko charger thing for the Wii remotes, will it still fit ok into the Perfect Shot shell?

fits perfectly in mine

another badass thing, the receiver for the wireless kama nunchuk fits perfectly in the bottom of the perfect shot, too.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You can shut the reticle off to make it more like a "light gun experience" still yes?

Getting it this weekend for a marathon sesh when I visit my bro home :)

Just waiting on Amazon's Free Super Saver Shipping...lots of dead zombies I reckon, eventually, between this and Chanbara Wii.

Definitely going to go for co-op with a friend on this all the way through.

Pojo

Banned
yoopoo said:
The highest rated shooter of the month in the mag, btw.
Heh.

I'll be getting this at a reduced price if the game isn't meaty enough. I'm definitely waiting for impressions. Then again, I thought Umbrella Chronicles was the best on rails light gun game ever, so who knows.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
as i blew my self-indulgence budget for this month already, i'll be saving from my lunches to get this hot merchandise.

agent guendolin, here i come!

Teknoman

Pojo said:
Heh.

I'll be getting this at a reduced price if the game isn't meaty enough. I'm definitely waiting for impressions. Then again, I thought Umbrella Chronicles was the best on rails light gun game ever, so who knows.

I might have to do that myself, since im just limiting myself to 2 new games a month (in light of how many good games are coming out in such a short amount of time).

EDIT: The soundtrack to the game is actually kinda cool. Been listening via the website for awhile now. Doesnt sound as goofy as the first gameplay footage.

Volcynika

Teknoman said:
I might have to do that myself, since im just limiting myself to 2 new games a month (in light of how many good games are coming out in such a short amount of time).

This is why I love my birthday being this time. Buying this and the Perfect Shots this month (maybe Retro Game Challenge too) and MadWorld next month, but getting Street Fighter IV as a present and a paid off Resident Evil 5 for next month. :D

Amir0x

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
It seems like a lot of stuff is just going to drop at once. This week, Tenchu 4, Deadly Creatures, and this.

Might happen a lot this year.

so basically just House of the Dead then this month for Wii? ;)

I'm more concerned with RE5 and Street Fighter IV and GTAIV: Lost and Damned and Halo Wars and Star Ocean and HAWX and House of the Dead: Overkill all coming out in the coming weeks. And not to forget the BIG one for Wii... MAD WORLD!

This is a fucking nutso amount of games packing itself in tight to this time of the year!

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:

I'm more concerned with RE5 and Street Fighter IV and GTAIV: Lost and Damned and Halo Wars and Star Ocean and HAWX and House of the Dead: Overkill all coming out in the coming weeks. And not to forget the BIG one for Wii... MAD WORLD!

This is a fucking nutso amount of games packing itself in tight to this time of the year!

So basically RE5, SFIV, and MadWorld come out in the next few weeks?

FightyF

Banned
VOOK said:
1pzbme.jpg

Can't Wait :D

WHAT IS THIS I MUST KNOW

Ideally I'd like to get 2 perfect shots, a Wii, and all of the HotD games released on the Wii (in time all of SEGA's lightgun shooters on the Wii as well).

So I'm looking for the cheapest way to get this. I'm already sacrificing a SF4 gamepad because I'm short on funds, so I'm willing to take baby steps.

My sister in law has a Wii, I'll borrow that, so I'm looking at 2 Nyko perfect shots (is that what those are in that box set?) and the HotD games (looks like there are 3 games in that box set...are those it?). Any help would be appreciated.

Teknoman

Amir0x said:

Volcynika said:
This is why I love my birthday being this time. Buying this and the Perfect Shots this month (maybe Retro Game Challenge too) and MadWorld next month, but getting Street Fighter IV as a present and a paid off Resident Evil 5 for next month. :D

Yeah kinda wish alot of these titles were finished before Christmas. Either way, this month it's Killzone 2 and SFIV (360), next month it's RE5 (PS3) and Mad World (with possible Platinum). Hopefully April will be pretty much free and i'll get Overkill + Prinny or Dragon Quest V. Deadly Creatures will probably factor in sometime into summer.

Gotta plan for a decent game budget :D CAG helps (My birthday isnt till September).

Top Bottom