• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

GaryD

Dash Kappei said:
Dick measuring ahoy: I play games on my 120" CRT projector and don't have any problems myself with the calibration of THHTDO :D

How far away do you sit? How far away is the sensor bar from where you sit? Is it above or below?

I ended up having to stick my sensitivity up to max in the wii options so maybe i should move the sensor bar closer and turn sensitivity down?

KevinCow

Banned
I just picked up a couple of Perfect Shots. They're pretty awesome, but after a bit of play, one of them started to squeak every time I pull the trigger. It's getting pretty annoying. Anyone else have this problem? Any way to fix it?

kaskade

KevinCow said:
I just picked up a couple of Perfect Shots. They're pretty awesome, but after a bit of play, one of them started to squeak every time I pull the trigger. It's getting pretty annoying. Anyone else have this problem? Any way to fix it?
Try some wd-40 where it's squeaking.

dyls

razu said:
I could only get the game to calibrate properly if I sat further away than normal from the TV. Weird because other games have been fine.

Still, this is:

A) A SEGA game.
B) Built using "Blitz Tech", LOL.

I noticed the same thing when I was taking pictures of my screen. With most Wii games, I can sit on my coffee table, maybe 3 feet away from the screen, and get usable, if slightly jumpy control with the IR. With HOTD it didn't even recognize it unless I moved back another few feet.

Uh... is there a bug with my game?

No mutants are appearing at all on Fetid Waters. I can hear them, and civilians will ask me for help, but there's nothing there.

EDIT: Weird. You just restart the Wii and it works now.

MiniDitka

kamorra said:
May I ask how do you rip them?

I extract the audio from captured video and then convert it. I think my audio cable is getting bad so the quality probably isn't as good as it should be.

MiniDitka said:

Thanks a LOT. Now I have something for my mp3 phone for when I go to the university tomorrow.
Some songs are a little buzzy (i thappens a lot when theres talking and music at the same time), but you did a great job.

MiniDitka

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Thanks a LOT. Now I have something for my mp3 phone for when I go to the university tomorrow.
Some songs are a little buzzy (i thappens a lot when theres talking and music at the same time), but you did a great job.

You're welcome. I'm going to play with the audio settings, turn down the effects and dialogue and see if that helps.

markatisu

MiniDitka said:
You're welcome. I'm going to play with the audio settings, turn down the effects and dialogue and see if that helps.

You can also try adjusting your recording level, make it a bit lower and you will not get so much distortion (I only sense it on the bass parts)

I love Dim Sum for Papa

The Hermit

EmCeeGramr said:
Uh... is there a bug with my game?

No mutants are appearing at all on Fetid Waters. I can hear them, and civilians will ask me for help, but there's nothing there.

EDIT: Weird. You just restart the Wii and it works now.

I noticed many bugs in this game... in the first stage (directors cut) there a zom... I mean mutant who gets stuck behind a wall near a door. Since I can´t move, you won´t be able to progress... :/

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
KevinCow said:

That happened to me, too. I had some silicon lube for my Rubik's Cube that I put in the trigger and it fixed it (and made it super smooth, too!). Of course, you probably don't happen to have that laying around.

Just don't put WD-40 on it. I've stupidly done shit like that before with controllers. It'll smell like that for about a week.

Got home late last night so I thought I would just try the game a little. Passed the swamp level before the wii remotes rechargable batteries died out. Went to bed then. Kinda lucked out there since I needed to get up early for work.

Greeeeaat fucking game. played with the magnum and had a blast. Switched to the shotgun and really went to town :lol

This is much better then RE Umbrella chronicle IMO and I never understood before why people thought that game was average. Thought it was great and I still do but this is better. Don't have a whole lot of experience with onrails shooters.

The dialogue is really campy but it works in this game.

Going to invite over some friends this weekend. I think they are going to love this game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
having some problems..

How does reloading work in this game? It seems to reload automatically when you run out of bullets, but is there a motion thing going on too? It feels like if I shake the gun it reloads. Thats fine, but whats also happening is I'll get random reloads right in the middle of me shooting zo..mutants, often after only shooting off a couple of rounds. Is the reload motion detection a little too sensitive? This could kill the game for me if I can't get it to reload when I want. Doesn't seem to be any way to assign reload to a button press either.

BTW, does the nunchuk do anything? Seem to remember something about the buttons in the manual (only glanced at it), but it hasn't done anything in the first two levels.

(loving the presentation, and the game is pretty good so far, but I've turned the cursor back on because the accuracy isn't all that good)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PuppetSlave said:
A button reloads.

A button is difficult to reach when playing with a gun shell.

and I suppose it doesn't stop the 'shake to reload' motion detection, so I'll still get phantom reloads? I like the shake to reload, but I don't want it to do it just because I aimed at a zombie on the left, and then quickly at one on the right.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
mrklaw said:

and I suppose it doesn't stop the 'shake to reload' motion detection, so I'll still get phantom reloads? I like the shake to reload, but I don't want it to do it just because I aimed at a zombie on the left, and then quickly at one on the right.

The reload motion does seem a little too sensitive. It's happened to me while holding the gun nearly still. It doesn't happen constantly, but when it does it usually screws me over :(

Gino

PuppetSlave said:
Got home late last night so I thought I would just try the game a little. Passed the swamp level before the wii remotes rechargable batteries died out. Went to bed then. Kinda lucked out there since I needed to get up early for work.

Greeeeaat fucking game. played with the magnum and had a blast. Switched to the shotgun and really went to town :lol

This is much better then RE Umbrella chronicle IMO and I never understood before why people thought that game was average. Thought it was great and I still do but this is better. Don't have a whole lot of experience with onrails shooters.

The dialogue is really campy but it works in this game.

Going to invite over some friends this weekend. I think they are going to love this game.
Yeah pretty much the same thing happened to me. I watched an episode of The Wire with my wife last night and booted this up at 11:00. Didn't shut it off until 1, just before the fretted water level.

Ment to play like 1 level.

I've got to get a perfect shot. Playing lightgun games in bed with just the Wiimote hurts my wrist.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I thought the reload was by pointing off screen. I jerk the wiimote up when I want to reload, so it could be that I am actually activating it with motion, but I thought I was reloading by pointing off the screen.

VAIL

poppabk said:
I thought the reload was by pointing off screen. I jerk the wiimote up when I want to reload, so it could be that I am actually activating it with motion, but I thought I was reloading by pointing off the screen.

I do all my jerking on-screen, because this game is just that good.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I don't know if this was posted, but the head of Headstrong is interested in doing a Virtua Cop game.

Mark Brown, British Gaming Blog: So if SEGA came to you and said 'could you do Virtua Cop: Overkill?', would you be up for it? Spoofing all like old police movies and stuff.

Neil McEwen, Producer of HotD: Overkill : Yeah, I mean the thing is, we spent a lot of time creating our characters, creating that universe, and we know where these characters came from, and where these characters go, and what their fathers and mothers did before. We really worked out this family tree and we kinda know, we've worked out where they go and what happens to them. And we'd love to do Virtua Cop or another light gun game for SEGA. Anything for SEGA's fine!

LALILULELO

Neo Member
I had calibration problems too.
So I ended up just playing it with the Wii-mote only (no Nyko guncase) Which turned out better anyway during the wiggle waggle sequences.
I rather had they handled those moments ala Ghost squad (shoot at key points during a CC attack)

No able to reload by shooting out of the screen but with waggling I didn't like too much either. (so I' m using the A button with wii mote controls anyway)
And why they didnt include the skill path branching of HOTD2!I completed the story mode quite quick and unlocked DC mode.The bosses are very very easy.
It was just too easy after HOTD 2+3 so I thought DC mode would be much harder...
But I completed the first mission DC mission without even taking damage at all!!! :(

anyway, even though its not that challenging I still like it as a party shooter it didnt have the "hardcore" I was expecting for me HOTD 2 still the best of the bunch, for that twitch shooter experience.
Overall the game felt like a mix between HOTD and RE:UC

Good attempt but AM2 are still the masters when it comes to light gun games.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
twinturbo2 said:
Mark Brown, British Gaming Blog

thumbs_up.jpg

mrklaw said:

I hold the barrel of the gun shell with my left hand when I play, so hitting the A button is easy. The support also allows for better accuracy. I've never had problems with sensitivity in regards to reloading when I don't want it to.

witness

Got this in today from gamefly. Me and the girlfriend got through the first three levels. It was interesting seeing her thoughts, she thought the story is cheesy, then I informed her thats kind of the entire point and explained the whole grindhouse thing, now she's actually able to enjoy it knowing its not taking itself seriously. The game is lots of fun to play, that third boss is especially creepy. Buying and upgrading guns is awesome. I will definitely buy this game from GF.

Nicktals

Banned
Oh man I was rolling at the end of this game! Hilarious! I had a lot of fun with this game, and am going to try getting all the achievements over the next day or two. Couple questions...Where are the grenades located at? I haven't seen any, but apparently they exist? What are some of the other "secrets" as far as things you can shoot? In the first level, when you're up on a balcony and the mutants are all below on the floor of the mansion, you can shoot the chandelier and take them all out...Are there any other cool things like this? I haven't found any, but I figure there are more...

samratty

This game is a lot of fun but I gotta say I'm dissapointed with the bosses. They're way to easy, take too long to kill and really just not that much fun compared to the rest of the game. I expected better.

markatisu

Nicktals said:
Oh man I was rolling at the end of this game! Hilarious! I had a lot of fun with this game, and am going to try getting all the achievements over the next day or two. Couple questions...Where are the grenades located at? I haven't seen any, but apparently they exist? What are some of the other "secrets" as far as things you can shoot?

They are around, they are most notable in the prison area (look in all the side offices where you can shoot glass to get them)

If you have played Ghost Squad a lot you will be able to pick them out because they sit around like items in that game.
This game is a lot of fun but I gotta say I'm dissapointed with the bosses. They're way to easy, take too long to kill and really just not that much fun compared to the rest of the game. I expected better.

The hardest two imho are Jasper and the big RE looking armored freak (cant remember his name) who shoots the arrows. But once you get your guns even remotely powered up they are all simple, if you are playing co-op its not even a contest.

Not sure if anyone else saw but today SEGA has moved the advertising for HoTD Overkill to even more channels. Last week it was almost exclusively on Spike and Adult Swim (aka Cartoon Network)

Today I caught it on USA Network and Sci Fi which means they have bought time on Universal networks.

KevinCow

Banned
I know it's like really early to be talking about GotY '09 awards, but I nominate Detective Washington for best new character.

Surfheart

Fucking hell I love this game!

Had some initial problems with calibration, it's impossible to calibrate for me using iron sight aiming, but shooting from the hip is fine.

scitek

X-Play's top 5 list tonight was the "top 5 best-selling shooters" and this game was number 5.

1) Killzone 2 (due to preorders, apparently)
2) F.E.A.R. 2
3) CoD:W@W
4) CoD 4
5) HotD:Overkill

That was the list.

I have buyers remorse... :(

Bought the submachinegun. What a pos. Worst part was that I uppgraded it quite alot right away, blowing that cash too before even trying it out.

Sadly I have encountered bugs like others have reported. Enemies flashing back for half a sec after they are dead and an enemy who got stuck behind a door and my gun could not reach. Luckily I had a grenade and that did the trick.

Got goregasm two times with the shotgun when replaying the first level though. That was sweet :D

Mdk7

My Bang Bang Box is here, finally!!!
A quick question: it's rated as MA 15+ by the Australian ESRB (or whatever it's called over there), is it normal?
Do not tell me they censored it or i'll get VERY fucking mad.

Top Bottom