• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

KevinCow said:
3) The level is clearly designed for a widescreen TV, and I play on a 4:3 TV. There are several instances where enemies will be barely visible on the side of the screen, and by the time I notice they're there it's too late. In one particular instance, there's a thrower guy obscured by the bullet counter. This isn't usually an issue in other levels, but it really stands out here.

I think this might be a case of them overexploiting the Danger Cam. Sometimes they do force you to move the camera to kill an enemy.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
VistraNorrez said:
I think this might be a case of them overexploiting the Danger Cam. Sometimes they do force you to move the camera to kill an enemy.
What happens if you turn on/off the dangercam? I have left it at default so far.

OK, I know I'm being retarded here but where in the hell is the option for dual wield mode hidden at? I can't find it anywhere?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Haunted said:
What's the deal with the director's cut levels?

edit: specifically, I mean what's changed compared to the original levels? More enemies and enemies take more shots to kill? I really don't appreciate them taking all my cash and upgrades away at the start. :mad:

There's new areas in each level.

Haunted

Ysiadmihi said:
There's new areas in each level.
Oooh, that's nice. Still, cash and upgrades should've been transferred over. And where's the extra mutants button in DC? :(

brain_stew said:
OK, I know I'm being retarded here but where in the hell is the option for dual wield mode hidden at? I can't find it anywhere?
2P mode?

And about the reloading complaints.. I always use the A button instead of a motion.

Volcynika

Haunted said:
Oooh, that's nice. Still, cash and upgrades should've been transferred over. And where's the extra mutants button in DC? :(

2P mode?

And about the reloading complaints.. I always use the A button instead of a motion.

Beating Director's Cut unlocks Dual Wield mode.

Haunted said:

2P mode?

No, there's suppose to be a one player dual wield mode. Yes, I realise that you can have the same effect by entering 2p mode but that splits up your lives and scoring.

Edit:

Volcynika said:
Beating Director's Cut unlocks Dual Wield mode.

Cheers.

Volcynika

brain_stew said:
No, there's suppose to be a one player dual wield mode. Yes, I realise that you can have the same effect by entering 2p mode but that splits up your lives and scoring.

I haven't done it myself, but have you beaten Director's Cut yet?

EDIT: Ok you saw my post! Good deal.

markatisu

60_gig_PS3 said:
should I be worried that it's not made by Sega?

the trailers seem to be missing the Sega magic.

One of the reasons it's so good is because it's not SEGA. I am not sure the SEGA you have nostalgia for would have had the balls to make the game the way Headstrong did

MiniDitka

Anyone interested in the comic? If so I can make it available for download.

HOTD1.jpg

witness

Beat the regular story mode, working on the Dir. Cut version now. Game is amazing fun playing co op with my girl, she's a 'casual', and she loves the game. She's spent more time playing it with me than Wii Sports or Wii Play :lol Such a fun game, adding zombies to regular mode, directors cut making levels longer, the mini games are fun. Really can't get enough. Mad World is coming at the perfect time spread out from this game, great planning on Sega's part.

markatisu

witness said:
Beat the regular story mode, working on the Dir. Cut version now. Game is amazing fun playing co op with my girl, she's a 'casual', and she loves the game. She's spent more time playing it with me than Wii Sports or Wii Play :lol Such a fun game, adding zombies to regular mode, directors cut making levels longer, the mini games are fun. Really can't get enough. Mad World is coming at the perfect time spread out from this game, great planning on Sega's part.

My wife is the same way, it's been the only game she has wanted to play in the last week

markatisu

MiniDitka said:
OK. I'll scan the rest and upload them in a little while.

You are awesome! I tried to get the preorder with the digital version but Gamestop screwed up my order so I figured I would never see this!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
2DMention said:
Played this for the first time in Dir. Cut mode and 2PL. The boss fights are much, much easier with 2 players.

Tell me about it.

I played through standard mode and Directors Cut in one night with a friend, and the whole experience was so damn easy. I don’t think we died once on standard, and died only two or three times on DC.

Still super fun though. Just wish there was a way to up the difficulty more-so.

pakkit

Banned
MiniDitka said:
Kisses.

EatChildren said:
I played through standard mode and Directors Cut in one night with a friend, and the whole experience was so damn easy. I don’t think we died once on standard, and died only two or three times on DC.
Do you unlock Dual Wield in 2 Player as well, essentially giving the ability for 4 people to play through the single-player campaign?

Had a blast this weekend with some friends. Some on friday and another on sunday. Sofar everyone has loved it. Probably because it's so easy to just point and shoot at shit.

Checked my wii notes and I have already spent over 11 hours on this game sofar. Still unlocking guns and not finished with this game though.

It hanged on me once though, had to turn off my wii manually. Saw some dots(overheating maybe) afterwards also. Hope my wii isn't going to die on me... This game seems to run the wii pretty hot.

Ogni-XR21

Got this game last week, haven't beaten it yet. Only one more stage to go... So far I only got the shotgun and fully upraded the AMS gun, which is all I really need. The very first thing I did was upgrade reload and recoil which made gameplay much better imo.

Really great game the only thing that kind of bugs me is that shooting zomb... er mutants doesn't have the same impact as shooting a zombie in HOTD2.

The game also crashed on me once, on my very first game in the first stage when the elevator goes down.

Overall I really love Overkill, the setting/presentation is a perfect fit for the series.

Just got my Bang box with comic. I'm impressed with the style (haven't played the game yet) in the comic but the thing smells a little funky.

I guess they coated it in something to give it an old comic feel but the whole things really stinks. Nice comic though and the hand cannons are much bigger than I expected. I like.

Will play tomorrow when I get me some component cables.

Anyone have the superior PAL version of the comic scanned? Censoring in a comic for adults makes no sense...stupid SEGA America.

Alcibiades

Look what I found!!! (have been looking for this for a while)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3a-DN73Sc0

:D

If I had any semblance of an organized life right now that included me doing excellent in classes and having spare time I would have bought this, Deadly Creatures, and reserved MadWorld.

I'm thinking of buying MadWorld anyway just as a vote for traditional gaming on Wii but I know buy the time I have time to play it (summer at the earliest) I'll be able to get it cheaper.

Alcibiades said:

If I had any semblance of an organized life right now that included me doing excellent in classes and having spare time I would have bought this, Deadly Creatures, and reserved MadWorld.

I'm thinking of buying MadWorld anyway just as a vote for traditional gaming on Wii but I know buy the time I have time to play it (summer at the earliest) I'll be able to get it cheaper.
OOOOO niiice. I had kinda been keeping a look out for it on tv but hadn't seen it yet. Nice t see advertising for both games. I'd expect more for Madworld as it gets closer too.

pakkit

Banned
Alcibiades said:
Just a word of warning: Matt Cassamassina will think that you're an asshole.

Also, PsyFire beat you on the HoTD Youtube commercial. It's okay though, it's still sexy the second time around.

Robert-GCA said:
Anyone have the superior PAL version of the comic scanned? Censoring in a comic for adults makes no sense...stupid SEGA America.

What's really bizarre is they censored all but one instance of the word fuck.

Kevtones

Still playing the fuck out of this game. Going to say its one of the best games for the system and easily one of my favorite of the past year or so. Its the best lightgun game I've played from home. Addictive and awesome. Good going Headstrong.

witness

Can someone explain what a goregasm is? I've played this game through reg story and directors cut, only in co op, and we've never had one in our player stats.

poppabk

I Push Fat Kids said:
Still playing the fuck out of this game. Going to say its one of the best games for the system and easily one of my favorite of the past year or so. Its the best lightgun game I've played from home. Addictive and awesome. Good going Headstrong.
The main thing that it is missing is an arcade difficulty setting and some more memorable boss fights (although the final boss fight is memorable it's not for the right reasons), other than that and the framerate hitches it is an awesome game.

poppabk

witness said:
Can someone explain what a goregasm is? I've played this game through reg story and directors cut, only in co op, and we've never had one in our player stats.
It is the final level in the "extreme violence", "psychotic" scale, which you get by stringing shots together without missing or being hit.

Alcibiades said:

Even though it's basically the dialog from the original trailer, it's still really good for a commercial.
And also, YES! Greg Proops in the Mad World commercial!

J-Rock said:
Anyone have any idea on how well this game is selling? I really hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

No figures or anything yet, but the game is doing great in the UK charts and actually increased by 30% over the previous week. :)

Kevtones

poppabk said:
The main thing that it is missing is an arcade difficulty setting and some more memorable boss fights (although the final boss fight is memorable it's not for the right reasons), other than that and the framerate hitches it is an awesome game.

I agree on the difficulty. Although it gets a bit more difficult if you just use the magnum (and it feels more like a traditional light gun game that way). I actually dig all of the bosses minus their easy, easy difficulty. They're thoughtful and look great.

maxmars

Got the perfect shot from play.com, and the additional zapper. Still didn't get the game, perhaps tomorrow? Oh well!

poppabk

I Push Fat Kids said:
I agree on the difficulty. Although it gets a bit more difficult if you just use the magnum (and it feels more like a traditional light gun game that way). I actually dig all of the bosses minus their easy, easy difficulty. They're thoughtful and look great.
I would have preferred bosses that had more complex attack patterns and more protected weak points. They do look great though.
I would have also liked some mid-level bosses to mix things up, the fat guys don't really cut it.

Kevtones

poppabk said:
I would have preferred bosses that had more complex attack patterns and more protected weak points. They do look great though.
I would have also liked some mid-level bosses to mix things up, the fat guys don't really cut it.

You're right. I think conceptually they're pretty fun, but they don't mix things up enough. It kind of feels like a missed opportunity on some of them. Some of level themes definitely offer a range of things they could've used on level or even mid-bosses. Bearded lady zombie?

maxmars

Finally got it in the mail. What is incredible is that they shipped it from Auckland (NZ).. Play.com sure is weird.

meppi

Just got my guns in the mail as well. (4 of them :D)
Had the game since last week and I love it to bits.
Tried to calibrate the gun, but it just didn't work like it should (Nyko Perfect Shot).
Tried just about everything and nothing seemed to give me precision over the entire screen that I need, so I thought that it was obviously a case of not calibrating it right.

Since the guns themselves have no reticule I decided to make one myself.

Took a Bic. One of these:
bic.png

And cut of the little transparent top.
Cut it in half since it's too long to be efficient as it is.
Took a glue gun and glued this tip to the orange strip that keeps the Wiimote in place.
Be sure to put it exactly in the middle. Use the D-pad as your reference.

Calibrated the gun once more and now it's absolutely perfect. Hitting headshot after headshot without any effort. :)

I'm baffled why the gun didn't have this in the first place.

Top Bottom