• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

Gagaman

Haven't encountered any of the games glitches I;ve heard about up until last night, when I was playing 2 player with my Dad, going through all the levels one after another. When we got to Fetid Waters the zombies on the stage simply never showed up, and we were stuck at the start of the level. I even quit out and re-loaded the level a few times, but still no zombies! Oh dear! :lol

Gonna have to buy me a harddrive for my Wii now I have usb loader ready for one.

Roelatie

Gagaman said:
Haven't encountered any of the games glitches I;ve heard about up until last night, when I was playing 2 player with my Dad, going through all the levels one after another. When we got to Fetid Waters the zombies on the stage simply never showed up, and we were stuck at the start of the level. I even quit out and re-loaded the level a few times, but still no zombies! Oh dear! :lol

Gonna have to buy me a harddrive for my Wii now I have usb loader ready for one.
i had the same problem! just waiting dor the zombies 2 show up! :lol

D-X

Gagaman said:

Yep I had the same problem, one time I had to quit the other time the game moved on itself to the next wave of zombies.

I picked this up a week ago when amazon had it for $30 (back to $45 now). I picked up a 2nd Nyko Perfect Shot so my gf and I can play together, should be trying it out soon.

Strange, is this bug due to the disc? Because many people including me never had this problem. The only issue I have is that the music is sometimes before the level is.

Scrubking

Frencherman said:
Strange, is this bug due to the disc? Because many people including me never had this problem. The only issue I have is that the music is sometimes before the level is.

I heard it happens if you start the Fetid Waters with the shotgon or some other weapon. Can't remember.

I hope this pops up for $30 again somewhere soon...I was THIS close to buying it at Walmart for $40 last night but I'm holding out hoping for a sale somewhere soon...

What's the quickest way to stock up cash in Story mode? I've finished all the levels once and I'm replaying them all one by one but don't seem to be getting a lot of cash.

Make sure you beat the high score, and unlock all the achievements. You get really limited in how much money you can earn though. A bit frustrating.

The constant stuttering goes away completely running the game off a hard drive. Awesome. Makes the game so much more enjoyable.

Raide

ShockingAlberto said:
I just encountered the no zombie glitch. :O

It is Fetid Waters, but I'm using a maxed out handgun and an SMG. I'm gonna try changing out weapons.

I ran in to this as well, no matter what I did, the Zombies did not spawn. Had to reset the Wii to finally fix it. Very annoying.

ToyMachine228 said:
I hope this pops up for $30 again somewhere soon...I was THIS close to buying it at Walmart for $40 last night but I'm holding out hoping for a sale somewhere soon...

Best Buy's Sunday ad has this listed as $29.99; I picked it up for that price yesterday actually at my local Best Buy. Totally, totally worth it. Been stomping through it with my sister and it is a blast.

Almost seems too easy, is my only complaint, as far as out right killing things. I imagine going for a high score is quite a bit tougher.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Soka said:
Almost seems too easy, is my only complaint, as far as out right killing things. I imagine going for a high score is quite a bit tougher.

Don't buy the auto-shotgun. The auto-shotgun removes any slither of challenge from the game. It's such a cheap weapon.

Baron

Just picked this up on clearance at Target for $12. I can't play it right now, though, we're moving at the end of the month and I'm right in the middle of packing. Not for another month or so will I be able to try it out. :(

gimz

omg i just tried this game at a friend's house, and as soon as i saw the "preview" i know i have to buy this game

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Picked it up recently. Although I love Umbrella Chronicles, I definitely apperciate this easier, and humorous game a lot more for my co-op. Looking forward to beating it in the next week. :D

Ugh. I knew there was a money issue but I didn't realize the finite bonus money was shared between the Story Mode and the Director's Cut. And that money didn't carry over from SM to DC.

Is there any reason to really play SM after DC is unlocked? If DC is superior in every way, I'm not going to bother upgrading anything in SM when I start my new file. I guess I'll also have to take care not to net any bonuses on accident. :[

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Quick three questions:

1. What's the difference between the shotgun and automatic shotgun, besides one extra round of ammo (with both maxed out)? I've been playing with the shotgun since I first bought it and never thought to try the auto-shotgun.

2. Is this game *really* that much of an improvement if installed on a hard drive? If it really is, I'll probably have to look into that some more. That requires the Homebrew Channel right? Thankfully the GAF Homebrew Wiki will come in handy here.

3. Just a bit curious, but the "most played games" thread got me wondering - what's all of your guys' play time for this game (via the Nintendo channel)? The playtime per person is apparently rising every week if Go Nintendo and the Nintendo channel are to be believed. I've put 49 hours 24 minutes into it. /brag

Little Green Yoda said:
Ugh. I knew there was a money issue but I didn't realize the finite bonus money was shared between the Story Mode and the Director's Cut. And that money didn't carry over from SM to DC.

Is there any reason to really play SM after DC is unlocked? If DC is superior in every way, I'm not going to bother upgrading anything in SM when I start my new file. I guess I'll also have to take care not to net any bonuses on accident. :[

You'll need to buy/upgrade all the weapons in SM, so yes, you'll need to play it if you want to unlock everything. Right now, I'm going through each story chapter and beating my lowest high score, then quiting the chapter (you still get the cash bonus this way.) You definitely want to play the story mode first though, the scores in director's cut are usually much higher and will make it harder for you to squeeze/farm cash for purchasing SM weapons.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I was on the Nintendo Channel, browsing the old trailers for this game and came across some differences between the pre-release game and the final one.

219q4gl.jpg

In the first reveal trailer from August 2008, we have a glimpse at the beta HUD: the number represents the current combo count, and the bar represents your life. It's obviously a temporary UI but interesting nonetheless. Imagine if you had a solid number up there instead of just the Goregasm flag- would make it easier to track your progress I suppose, but it doesn't really matter.

b6vrwy.jpg

In the Halloween Hospital trailer released later that year in October, they show these female mutants doing the injecting instead of the short-haired nurses in the final game. These mutants seem to be a cross between the normal blond-haired "Uma Thurman" mutants but wearing the nurse's outfit (without the hat.)

2d7ujaw.jpg

I find this interesting because in the same trailer we do see the normal nurse mutants. So they must have swapped out the two somewhere along the road to release. Seems interesting to me they had one extra type of mutant that they never used.

Anyways I was playing last night and I had a wicked goregasm going, but a stutter caused me to lose it, which was the final straw- going to attempt installing it to an SD card later. Wish me luck.

Edit- Oh! And if any of you have access to Google Wave I started a wave for Overkill score comparing and info sharing. Please visit and contribute if you have the chance.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally got around to beating story mode today. The writing is so motherfucking good, but my hand is numb now from the vibration. :lol

farnham

Banned
SO there is a second one in development it seems

the first one will get a Move port and the second one will be a simulateneous release !
Yay!!! it will be more over the top and completely crazy...

Source : NRW- Radio Free Nintendo podcast

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
farnham said:

the first one will get a Move port and the second one will be a simulateneous release !

You better hope you and they are not wrong.

Why didn't they show it at E3? Either version? It would have topped the show for me, except for maybe Zelda, DKCR, and Kid Icarus. Heck maybe even those games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
farnham said:

why on earth would a move port of hotd overkill and hotd overkill 2 be announced on a nintendo podcast. no hate on nwr, but they're not exactly... uh... the biggest site out there.

farnham

Banned
Andrex said:
You better hope you and they are not wrong.

Why didn't they show it at E3? Either version? It would have topped the show for me, except for maybe Zelda, DKCR, and Kid Icarus. Heck maybe even those games.
it seems like they are in talks with sega right now

they pitched the sequel right after release since they had the story done ages right after launch of overkill 1.. but sega did not want to give a go right away.

but with the good sales of overkill 1 i think a sequel will be released

Stumpokapow said:
why on earth would a move port of hotd overkill and hotd overkill 2 be announced on a nintendo podcast. no hate on nwr, but they're not exactly... uh... the biggest site out there.
well a guy from them talked to an headstrong guy.. it was an interview about lotr aragorns quest but they somehow talked about overkill 2 it seems

i listened to that part again and it looks like it is still in the talks

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It does seem suspicious that even Extraction+Move made an appearance at E3, yet this wouldn't.

pakkit

Banned
Sagitario said:
I got this game yesterday [impulse buy, I really liked HOTD2], but I doubt I'll time to play... :lol
Great bump.

Seriously, invite a friend over and play the game with some beers in your hand. It's not hard to beat in one sitting (especially in two player), and it's real fun.

Sagitario

pakkit said:
Great bump.

Seriously, invite a friend over and play the game with some beers in your hand. It's not hard to beat in one sitting (especially in two player), and it's real fun.

That's how I beat HOTD 2 + 3 [minus the beers, it was vodka IIRC :p] :D

Top Bottom