• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Rottenwatch/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it last Friday, it's a fun movie to watch in theaters (because of the sound, when they are inside the cave, you can hear the water dropping down in the back of your seat). It's an action movie, and an Indy movie, what do you people pretend? :p

effzee

watched it last night. i liked it.

nothing amazing but a fun adventure movie.

which is what i thought of the first three anyway. i never watched them as a kid, or i did and i dont remember clearly. i caught all three on tv last weekend and thought they were fun movies but nothing amazing.

Cheebs

Gary Whitta said:
Guess what, those movies fucking sucked too.
You think its wise to trash all of these movies when you have one going for the same demographic coming out that has a good shot at not being as well received as Indy IV?

Xater

BruceLeeRoy said:
Really man I mean really? The mummy was a good time no doubt but I have a hard time imagining how someone who likes the Mummy could not like this movie. I am willing to bet if the next mummy movie was the crystal skull everyone would love it cause it exceeded expectations but because its Indiana Jones it let everyone down.

I think you are onto something here...

SantaC said:
the best scene in the entire movie was when they went down that grave or whatever, and even that had its ridiculous moments.
So you wouldnt feel pain at all even if you were stung by a bigger scorpion?
Not to mention poison blow darts that are aparently poisoned at both ends.

Amir0x

Banned
Cheebs said:
You think its wise to trash all of these movies when you have one going for the same demographic coming out that has a good shot at not being as well received as Indy IV?

I don't think we have to worry about Gary Whitta's work being better than the Star Wars prequels.

He could literally change Shotaro Kaneda into a grisly, Bruce Willis prototype who shouts inappropriate one-liners the entire movie and STILL come out on top of those films.

Cheebs said:
Well I'm certainly not going to stop posting about movies between now and the time Akira comes out, if that's what you mean. I thought Indy IV sucked, why should I keep that to myself just because I have movies of my own in the works? Sorry, not gonna do that for fear of Akira's opening weekend being savaged by a few dozen itinerant GAFers with an irrational grudge against me because I hated a movie they liked a year ago.

For the record, every other pro screenwriter I've discussed this movie with, including those who have worked for Spielberg, thought it sucked too. Without exception. Most disliked it more than I did.

Gary Whitta said:
Not to mention poison blow darts that are aparently poisoned at both ends.

The sort of people that would complain about this really shouldn't be watching Indiana Jones movies in the first place.

I mean, I understand people badmouthing the monkey/vines scene, but this? This?

Cheebs

Pureauthor said:
The sort of people that would complain about this really shouldn't be watching Indiana Jones movies in the first place.
People expect Indiana Jones to be realistic for some reason.

Indy road on the back of a submarine for hundreds of miles in Raiders, that is believable?

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:

It doesn't surprise me at all. People don't understand the concept of "suspension of disbelief", and how there is actually a real, documented line for people. The general rule is, people can be led to accept any number of unrealities... but the proportionate amount of people who will swallow the presented world shrinks the more you introduce the ridiculous.

Indiana 1-3 all had plenty of hijinks, but they knew the line. Raiders drew the line at the opening of the ark scene; everything else shambled beneath its line of plausibility, and the result was a fantastic sendup to 30s serials. Doom was the closest to Crystal Skulls in this scenario, and it's no surprise it's the least liked of the old prequels. Crusaders was a bit more reserved in this regard.

The movie asks us to take a bunch of things, and it keeps throwing them out there.

- Abuse of CGI in every turn
- Nuclear Explosion w/ Lead-lined Refridgerator
- Monkeys/Vines
- Ants
-
ALIENS
- Weaker script than previous films; less cohesiveness
- etc

The more you add, the more absurd it gets, the harder it is to appreciate what they're trying to do. As a personal matter, I'm really getting furious with Hollywood's move to completely replace real sets and stuntwork with green screens and computer hackery. I have no problem with CG as an art form, but Indiana Jones is precisely the type of series it should NOT be abused in. Here, we see just what this latest movement can destroy.

As I said, I still have some level of fun with this movie but it is dramatically inferior to the previous entries.

I really don't get most of the criticism, Cristal Skull is about the same level as the other Indy sequels, not really Raiders but trying to be. I wished they had cut Marion from the new movie though, or made her a less important role.

Gary Whitta said:
For the record, every other pro screenwriter I've discussed this movie with, including those who have worked for Spielberg, thought it sucked too. Without exception. Most disliked it more than I did.

Any idea how Frank Darabont's script was.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Did Cheebs just caution Whitta on voicing his opinion, threatening an insecure-geek uprising?

The more people in this thread excuse every groaner, the more I dislike the film.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Any idea how Frank Darabont's script was.
Not really. Have spoken to Frank a few times (his script for Fahrenheit 451 is amazing, btw) but never asked about that. All I know is that Spielberg and Ford both loved it but Lucas didn't, which for me is a strong indication that it's the one they should have made. If Lucas proved anything with the Star Wars prequels it's that any instincts he may once have had about good storytelling have long since disappeared.

SantaC

I had no problems with the alien plot. I just happend to cringe like every 15 minutes or so because of stupid dialogue or scenes. I know these movies should be kinda cheesy, but it went way over the top to almost comedy levels.

Indiana Jones is not just some B movie franchise, it's suppose to the pinnacle of adventure flicks; and on that level it fails horribly.

Deku

Banned
I think this problem feeds itself on both ends.

On one hand the nostalgic fans set themselves up to be trashed by anyone who might have even the slightest dissenting voice and at the same time people are so cynical that if they don't enjoy a highly anticipated film, the immediate reaction is to condemn it.

Indy 4 by all accounts has done better on a consensus opinion than most of George Lucas' 3 prequels and does not suffer from the fatigue factor of the 3 .

It's a popcorn movie. You guys need to grow up.

Green Shinobi said:
I seriously want to kick everyone who complains about "believability" in the first three Indiana Jones films in the balls.

Is anyone complaining about believability in the first three? I only see compaints about the new one.

All four are more or less equally plausible with scenes that, out of the context of pulp adventure, would derail "serious" movies.

Count Dookkake said:
Is anyone complaining about believability in the first three? I only see compaints about the new one.

All four are more or less equally plausible with scenes that, out of the context of pulp adventure, would derail "serious" movies.
I've seen plenty of complaints about the first three mingled intermittently among the KoTCS trashing (for the record, three days later I think Kingdom is a solid 8/10 while Temple is a 9/10 and Raiders and Crusade are both 10/10). It's probably an attempt to defend the believability of the fridge or vine scenes in Kingdom.

But seriously, every time I read someone say something like "Raiders lost me when they got to the face-melting part, lolz," or "I wish they would leave that supernatural shit out of Indy," I get the strong urge to connect my foot to someone's testes.

AniHawk said:
Should make more than any other entry to the series.
Cheebs said:
Well ticket prices were a lot different back then. Even so it will break 300 million. Which is even when adjusted for inflation the best Harrison Ford has done in a long long long long time.
Going by Box Office Mojo's list, ticket inflation really really balloons Raiders up there.
In 2008 $
Raiders: $606.4 M
Doom: $368.3 M
Crusade: $340.0 M

Though it's worth noting Raiders would be slightly lower without 1982 and 1983 reissues.
Pureauthor said:

As someone who enjoyed the movie, the oddity of double-sided poisoned darts went through my mind immediately upon seeing it. I suppose they could've just dropped the whole damn stick in the poison; I've never joined the dart poisoning club.

Oozer3993

Cheebs said:
Daranbots script had aliens and the flying fridge and rocket sled etc

And from what I've heard it gave Indy a brother. A pissed off, alcoholic brother who might have been played by Tom Selleck or (cringe) Kevin Costner. That was rumored to be the reason George Lucas didn't like it. Not to mention the fact that it completely clashes with Young Indy and Last Crusade. On a related note, you can thank George Lucas for Indy not being an alcoholic. Spielberg wanted to make him an alky in Raiders.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Finally saw this and was very, very entertained. There were the obvious cringe-worthy moments that have been discussed to death - gophers, fridge, monkeys, car-to-tree jump, etc. But for a summer movie it was a blast.

Solo

Gary Whitta said:
Absolutely agreed. The more I think about Crystal Skull the more I absolutely fucking hate it. What a wasted opportunity.

Not so much a wasted opportunity (although the movie certainly is waste) as a pointless one. Did Indy really need to be dusted off? Anyways, after the wretched CS, its time to step off the Indy train for me. I cant believe there are two more in the pipeline. Its like the prequels again, but marginally better due to Spielberg's involvement. Ill always have Raiders and, well, thats pretty much it, lol.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Oozer3993 said:
And from what I've heard it gave Indy a brother. A pissed off, alcoholic brother who might have been played by Tom Selleck or (cringe) Kevin Costner. That was rumored to be the reason George Lucas didn't like it.

Now I hate Lucas.

effzee

Solo said:
Not so much a wasted opportunity (although the movie certainly is waste) as a pointless one. Did Indy really need to be dusted off? Anyways, after the wretched CS, its time to step off the Indy train for me. I cant believe there are two more in the pipeline. Its like the prequels again, but marginally better due to Spielberg's involvement. Ill always have Raiders and, well, thats pretty much it, lol.

i understand ppl not liking it or considering it a wasted opportunity.

but pointless? how so? its not a connected story so each movie stands on its own. its just another episode. pointless in what sense?

Solo

effzee said:
i understand ppl not liking it or considering it a wasted opportunity.

but pointless? how so? its not a connected story so each movie stands on its own. its just another episode. pointless in what sense?

In the sense that its been 19 years since the last one, in the sense that all the principles involved had moved on to different things, and so on. What really stings for me is that somehow this is the idea that finally brought the three back together. What kool-aid were they sipping?

Solo said:
Christopher - just watch Raiders and skip the rest.
Let me just say that for one of the first time, we STRONGLY disagree. Even though they might not be as good as Raiders, Doom and TLC are exceptional popcorn flicks to me, some of the best of the last 25 years. They have forged my childhood memories even more than the original Star Wars trilogy (I'm only 27), and they deserved to be seen.

Having said that, why the hell did you bother seeing Crystal Skull if you don't even like the last two Indys? I don't mean to insult you, but doesn't it look an awful lot like a case of paying 10 bucks for the right to piss on other peoples golden idol? Let's just hope you didn't see it to defend Speed Racer as the crowning achievement of this summer's popcorn movies...

Pachinko

I saw it yesterday. I'm a peculiar case because I've only seen raiders of the lost ark. Temple of doom and last crusade I've watched bits and peices of over the years but never sat through both movies begining to end.

I liked crystal skull but it suffers from the same issues that die hard 4 had last year. That is , something that's allready been brought up in this thread. The line of believability was still at a plausable threshold in raiders of the lost ark but with crystal skull that lines been pushed into the realm of "only possible in a hollywood film". Also maybe it was just me but the actors here seemed to be having almost too much fun with the whole thing, cate blanchett had a smirk on her face for basically the entire film and harrison seemed one step away from turning to the camera and winking at the audience. It was still entertaining but I can totally see how someone who loved the original trilogy would hate it. All that built up hype left percolating for 27 years built this movie up to be the greatest thing ever and instead it's just par for the course.

Solo

Foreign Jackass said:
Having said that, why the hell did you bother seeing Crystal Skull if you don't even like the last two Indys? I don't mean to insult you, but doesn't it look an awful lot like a case of paying 10 bucks for the right to piss on other peoples golden idol? Let's just hope you didn't see it to defend Speed Racer as the crowning achievement of this summer's popcorn movies...

I loved the Indy sequels as a child, but revisiting them in recent years really destroyed a lot of my nostalgic feelings towards them. And I put up 10 bucks for the right to see a movie that hopefully turned out good - it didnt. Such is life. Ive paid to see many films over the years that turned out less than stellar. As for your last point, hardly. Thats fucking ridiculous to even contemplate, in fact. Who would waste the time and money to go see a movie just so they could achieve that end?

Simple fact is that so far this summer movie season, Ive paid 10 bucks to see each of Iron Man, Speed Racer, and Indy, hoping all 3 would end up good. Same will happen for The Dark Knight, Wall-E, and so on. There is no "motive" behind it, beside wanting to see decent summer fare. So far 2/3 have fit that bill, so its a good start so far.

Solo said:
I loved the Indy sequels as a child, but revisiting them in recent years really destroyed a lot of my nostalgic feelings towards them. And I put up 10 bucks for the right to see a movie that hopefully turned out good - it didnt. Such is life. Ive paid to see many films over the years that turned out less than stellar. As for your last point, hardly. Thats fucking ridiculous to even contemplate, in fact. Who would waste the time and money to go see a movie just so they could achieve that end?

Simple fact is that so far this summer movie season, Ive paid 10 bucks to see each of Iron Man, Speed Racer, and Indy, hoping all 3 would end up good. Same will happen for The Dark Knight, Wall-E, and so on. There is no "motive" behind it, beside wanting to see decent summer fare. So far 2/3 have fit that bill, so its a good start so far.

I'm just saying that because you were pretty much convinced from the get-go that it would suck, so I would have been rrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally surprised if you turned around and said it was the best Indy since Raiders. Anyways... I haven't seen any of the summer flicks yet, so I dunno. It just looks weird to me, especially with that "Just bother with Raiders" statement.

Mifune

Mehmber
For me the most disappointing aspect of this movie was the score. John Williams really phoned this one in.

Right now, I could hum a bunch of different secondary themes and cues from the other movies. Not so with this one.

Oh wait, yes I could because he just recycled them. The Ark theme in a movie that isn't about the Ark. The father/son theme from The Last Crusade. Yeah I know there's a father/son relationship here too but it just screams laziness.

Solo

Foreign Jackass said:
I'm just saying that because you were pretty much convinced from the get-go that it would suck, so I would have been rrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally surprised if you turned around and said it was the best Indy since Raiders. Anyways... I haven't seen any of the summer flicks yet, so I dunno. It just looks weird to me, especially with that "Just bother with Raiders" statement.

Sure, I thought it was going to be bad going in. But Im the first to say when I am wrong. Im not a fucking moron who decides he will hate something and then make darn sure I do just that. Hell, you brought up Speed Racer, which is a great example. I had a major hate going for the Wachowskis before it, thought the trailer looked embarassingly awful, and hate anime. So you could say I went into it with the mindset to hate it, too. Three viewings later, I am the film's biggest supporter.

So whatever stance I have on a movie going in, I always give it a fair shake once the lights go down. I did it with Indy IV, and I thought it was not much of a movie.

Mifune said:
For me the most disappointing aspect of this movie was the score. John Williams really phoned this one in.
I will say that even though I liked the movie, I agree Williams really mailed it in with nothing memorable. Anyway, I continue to be amazed that people really think Temple of Doom is leagues better than this, but please continue.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Just saw it - really liked it for what it was - having watched ToD and LC yesterday, the tone seemed pretty much its pulpy self.

Not much else to say as I'm reading through this thread, but: that crap Spielberg is spinning in the Entertainment Weekly interview about being 'stingy' with clips in the trailers... Well, he broke his own rule because during that jungle chase scene there was a bit I was just WAITING for which had been in the credits. Total BS on his part, then.

Cheebs

Solo said:
Sure, I thought it was going to be bad going in. But Im the first to say when I am wrong. Im not a fucking moron who decides he will hate something and then make darn sure I do just that. Hell, you brought up Speed Racer, which is a great example. I had a major hate going for the Wachowskis before it, thought the trailer looked embarassingly awful, and hate anime. So you could say I went into it with the mindset to hate it, too. Three viewings later, I am the film's biggest supporter.

So whatever stance I have on a movie going in, I always give it a fair shake once the lights go down. I did it with Indy IV, and I thought it was not much of a movie.
So I take it Solo isn't giddy about Indy 5.

Solo

Cheebs said:
So I take it Solo isn't giddy about Indy 5.

You were the one who said you were curious as to how Id like it, but it seems as if you missed my post several pages back I made after seeing it. Yeah, I was less than giddy to say the least.

Cheebs

Solo said:
You were the one who said you were curious as to how Id like it, but it seems as if you missed my post several pages back I made after seeing it. Yeah, I was less than giddy to say the least.
Nope I must have missed it.

And I remember you said you'd love it if I ended up hating it after being excited about it for years. I didn't LOVE it I have to say, I enjoyed it but I felt it had a good number of flaws.

GCX

I have really mixed feelings about the movie after seeing it. Even though it had some quite bad moments (
monkeys, nuclear fridge, Marion's car jump, etc
) it also had some of the most entertaining scenes in the whole series. I really loved the campus chase and the battle through the jungle was also mostly pure Indy. I never actually fully realized how good Spielberg is at making action scenes and that's mostly what saved the movie for me.

The ending felt a little out of place for Indy but it didn't bother me too much. They could have dropped one or two secondary characters though since sometimes it felt like Indy's gang got a little too big for everyone to get enough screen time.

I'm not going to analyze the movie too deeply because after all this is meant to be a funny little summer flick.. I was entertained!

Shorty

Banned
Mr Mike said:
Just saw it - really liked it for what it was - having watched ToD and LC yesterday, the tone seemed pretty much its pulpy self.

Not much else to say as I'm reading through this thread, but: that crap Spielberg is spinning in the Entertainment Weekly interview about being 'stingy' with clips in the trailers... Well, he broke his own rule because during that jungle chase scene there was a bit I was just WAITING for which had been in the credits. Total BS on his part, then.
absolutely not.
The point is to not give away the "big surprise" which totally worked out. It WAS surprising, but not necessarily in a good way. I for one didn't enjoy this certain storyline not because the idea was bad, but because the execution was pretty miserable towards the end.

Aside from that: Awesome movie!

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Shorty said:
absolutely not.
The point is to not give away the "big surprise" which totally worked out. It WAS surprising, but not necessarily in a good way. I for one didn't enjoy this certain storyline not because the idea was bad, but because the execution was pretty miserable towards the end.

Aside from that: Awesome movie!

I think you misunderstand.

Spielberg says to EW:

"SPIELBERG: Well, here's my debate on that. I've always been stingy about the scenes I show in a teaser or a trailer. Because my experience has been — and my kids' experience has been, 'cause they talk out loud in theaters, like everybody else does today — that if a scene they remember from the trailer hasn't come on the screen yet, and they're three quarters of the way through the movie, they start talking. ''Oh — I know what's gonna happen! Because there was that one little scene they haven't shown yet in the movie I'm experiencing, and it's coming up!'' And it ruins everything."

And when I was watching the rush to the temple at the end of KotCS
I was just waiting for the bit when the boat-jeep with Marion, Indy, Mutt, Ox and Mac in goes over the waterfall
it was in essence spoilt by the trailer. Same goes for the bit when you see the 'key' rise up and open the temple entrance.

Solo

As dumb as the whole nuke scene was, the mushroom shaped cloud was probably the best piece of CG in an otherwise very subpar ILM outing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom