• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jade Raymond's Assassin's Creed thread of PATRICE BRISEBOIS

conman

VibratingDonkey said:
You can play properly without a HUD? Blade counters? Memory log? Is this the secret twist Ubisoft was talking about?

I noticed when reading a walkthrough that I've missed a ton from the lab sections. Is it possible to replay them or do you have to start over? Crap.
Not only can you "play properly" without the HUD; the game is much improved when you play without the HUD. Trust us. This isn't merely an artificial way for us to make the game more difficult.

The game is designed to be played without the HUD or map.

And I suppose you wouldn't actually need the memory log, but it also doesn't make the game too easy either (like the HUD and map do). Personally, I like using the memory log because it enriches the experience and sense of immersion in the game world.

Nix the HUD and "select" map. Stick with the memory log.

Alx

conman said:
And I suppose you wouldn't actually need the memory log, but it also doesn't make the game too easy either (like the HUD and map do). Personally, I like using the memory log because it enriches the experience and sense of immersion in the game world.

The memory log will always be useful to see the documents you steal in the pickpocket missions... for everything else it is only a reminder of what you heard during gameplay. But since I'm not always listening, I need it for that too. :p

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
This game REALLY needs a better saving system. I hate that if I accidentally fall off a roof, it just sends me back to the Assassin's Bureau. Sure, it saves some of the things like when you help a citizen and the eagle's point progression, but it just sucks having to backtrack for no reason to the point where you died at.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
reilo said:
This game REALLY needs a better saving system. I hate that if I accidentally fall off a roof, it just sends me back to the Assassin's Bureau. Sure, it saves some of the things like when you help a citizen and the eagle's point progression, but it just sucks having to backtrack for no reason to the point where you died at.

Which is why flags come in handy too. It's like a checkpoint. :)

TTG

So, be honest. How long can you guys last in one continuous free run/sprint on the dock in Acre? I can go for maybe 45 seconds before hitting the water. :lol

reilo

It just froze again :-\

This time while exiting the Jerusalem on a horse, and before that maybe 15mins earlier while saving a citizen.

Tiktaalik

I don't have the game yet so I only vaguely know what you guys are talking about, but the gameplay still working well without the HUD is pretty interesting. Maybe having as little of a HUD as possible was a design goal they attempted earlier in the game's development cycle, but that they added in near the end because they felt it was still too hard without a HUD.

Interesting anyway.

TTG

Tiktaalik said:
I don't have the game yet so I only vaguely know what you guys are talking about, but the gameplay still working well without the HUD is pretty interesting. Maybe having as little of a HUD as possible was a design goal they attempted earlier in the game's development cycle, but that they added in near the end because they felt it was still too hard without a HUD.

Interesting anyway.

I would just turn off the GPS if you wanted that sort of experience. Doesn't change the game much overall, IMO. I just try not to rely on the GPS, not set many markers etc.

Gribbix

TEH-CJ said:
Stupid Q

but how do i do counter attacks ?

Once you've gained the ability, simply hold RT and hit the X button the moment you see an enemy beginning to strike. I'm playing the 360 version, I assume you hold R2 and hit Square in the PS3 version.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Gribbix said:
Once you've gained the ability, simply hold RB and hit the X button the moment you see an enemy beginning to strike. I'm playing the 360 version, I assume you hold R1 and hit Square in the PS3 version.

Ahhh i see

thanks bro :)

Satter

Banned
Just as baddies is about to swing at you, hold down the right trigger and x button at the same time.

I just finished the game. Where the heck is the ending? Vidic just says "Don't get confortable, Mr. Meyers. We'll be back." Then I looked at a punch of stupid symbols all over the room and above his bed. Is that it???

reilo

I tried turning off the GPS and playing without it, but I just seem lost.

I went into the map and selected a target icon I wanted to go to and marked with, but that doesn't do anything it seems without the GPS.

How do you guys navigate around a city? Do you just learn the city and know where to go after a while?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
reilo said:
How do you guys navigate around a city? Do you just learn the city and know where to go after a while?

Yep

Its so easy to refer to the map which will pinpoint your next objective but the point of playing without the GPS is so you learn the city by simply walking around and looking for things to do. I can see how people will find this completely boring but I find it challenging and fun.

Satter

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Yep

Its so easy to refer to the map which will pinpoint your next objective but the point of playing without the GPS is so you learn the city by simply walking around and looking for things to do. I can see how people will find this completely boring but I find it challenging and fun.

Actually, I found using the map and having to climb up towers over and over again completely boring. If I choose to play the game again I won't be using the map or navigation this time.

And wtf is up with the ending, or lack there of?

conman

Tiktaalik said:
Maybe having as little of a HUD as possible was a design goal they attempted earlier in the game's development cycle, but that they added in near the end because they felt it was still too hard without a HUD.
Exactly.

Unfortunately, because they added the HUD so late in development, it ended up killing a lot of their other gameplay elements without compensating for that loss. The game doesn't really get any more difficult when you use the HUD or map, and it does get rather repetitive when you use the HUD and map.

There are a million awesome details and clues that got lost when they decided to make the game easier at what was probably the last minute. For example, there's little point to eagle vision, to the viewpoints, or to sound design. But without the map markers, eagle vision is how you track down information and targets. Viewpoints are how you begin your searches of the cities. Sound is how you track down a number of important targets.

Some idiotic higher-up must have nixed the original design very late in the development process, so they obviously couldn't go back and rebuild the game from scratch. Adding the HUD and map markers was the best they could do so late in development.

If only they had been able to spend those last few months optimizing the code instead of tacking on the nearly game-killing HUD elements!! I'm sure that more than a few of the game's designers were seriously pissed off.

rkenshin

Satter said:
Actually, I found using the map and having to climb up towers over and over again completely boring. If I choose to play the game again I won't be using the map or navigation this time.

And wtf is up with the ending, or lack there of?

ala Halo 2?

Bildi

reilo said:
I use the sun a lot to orient myself. It's always afternoon in the game so my shadow always points NE (as far as I know it does, I'm not even up to the second assassination so I don't know if the sun's position changes during the game). I know if I have my shadow on a 45 degree angle in front of me and to my left I'm facing north.

That combined with landmarks makes it fairly easy to get around.

reilo

I really wish this game had the following:

1) Being able to stick to the side of buildings and scope out targets/spy on people by peaking around a corner ala MGS. Imagine waiting for your target inside some alley and just stealth killing him that way?
2) Being able to change your appearance.
3) More ways to hide from enemies that are chasing you than just haystacks and the cube or whatever it is on top of buildings. How about using shadows, alley ways, etc?
4) Upgrading/buying weapons!
5) Enhance eagle vision more. Add another layer of gameplay depth to it, like actually being able to walk around while in eagle vision, or I don't know, knowing which enemies are tougher/stronger?
6) Combos. Think about being able to lock into a target, having your hidden knife equipped, and then hitting R1 + X, run towards him, hit O to grab him, and then impale him against something by subsequently hitting []? Same with the counter-attack, it's far too easy to counter-attack right now.

Don't think that I'm bashing the game, because I am having a lot of fun playing it and I mean that sincerely, but Ubisoft Montreal could have made this game a lot better with added gameplay elements. It's a good game, it just needs some work.

zam

reilo said:
3) More ways to hide from enemies that are chasing you than just haystacks and the cube or whatever it is on top of buildings. How about using shadows, alley ways, etc?
There are scholars and benches as well

Zapages

reilo said:
I really wish this game had the following:

1) Being able to stick to the side of buildings and scope out targets/spy on people by peaking around a corner ala MGS. Imagine waiting for your inside some alley and just stealth killing him that way?
2) Being able to change your appearance.
4) Upgrading/buying weapons!
5) Enhance eagle vision more. Add another layer of gameplay depth to it, like actually being able to walk around while in eagle vision, or I don't know, knowing which enemies are tougher/stronger?
6) Combos. Think about being able to lock into a target, having your hidden knife equipped, and then hitting R1 + X, run towards him, hit O to grab him, and then impale him against something by subsequently hitting []? Same with the counter-attack, it's far too easy to counter-attack right now.

Don't think that I'm bashing the game, because I am having a lot of fun playing it and I mean that sincerely, but Ubisoft Montreal could have made this game a lot better with added gameplay elements. It's a good game, it just needs some work.

All those ideas were cut due time constraints from my understanding... Sad but true...

Hopefully the sequel will have them plus swimming. -_-

reilo

zam said:
There are scholars and benches as well

Even more than that. With such huge, grand, environments, I should be able to use it to my advantage.

Tiktaalik

conman said:
Exactly.

Unfortunately, because they added the HUD so late in development, it ended up killing a lot of their other gameplay elements without compensating for that loss. The game doesn't really get any more difficult when you use the HUD or map, and it does get rather repetitive when you use the HUD and map.

There are a million awesome details and clues that got lost when they decided to make the game easier at what was probably the last minute. For example, there's little point to eagle vision, to the viewpoints, or to sound design. But without the map markers, eagle vision is how you track down information and targets. Viewpoints are how you begin your searches of the cities. Sound is how you track down a number of important targets.

Some idiotic higher-up must have nixed the original design very late in the development process, so they obviously couldn't go back and rebuild the game from scratch. Adding the HUD and map markers was the best they could do so late in development.

If only they had been able to spend those last few months optimizing the code instead of tacking on the nearly game-killing HUD elements!! I'm sure that more than a few of the game's designers were seriously pissed off.

I hope that Assassin's Creed gets a developer post mortem in GameDeveloper, because then maybe we'll get some insight into if this is true or not.

Bildi

reilo said:
All are good ideas but I like these two of yours in particular. My input:

Eagle vision - in order to avoid it turning into a first person game, allow a normal first person view for looking around when you are still, but then have a separate eagle vision that you can turn on in first person view and then you can move around with it on. Would make searching out assassination targets for the informer missions much easier if you aren't using the map.

Assassinations and attacks from above - You should be able to lock on and attack any enemy from any position, including hanging on the side of a building or just standing on top of the building. The current move that allows you to jump and assassinate doesn't work well for me because it relies too much on the target being the exact correct distance from you. And it doesn't work during save citizen missions. Even if you can't assassinate from above, just being able to get a sword slash in as you land on them would be great.

BlueTsunami

I think a cover system would be cool (to help with being Stealthy, not to avoid arrows or projectiles).

Its also weird that the game seems to mostly take place during the daylight hours. I would like some night levels (where you need to avoid guards no matter what).

Robert R1

Banned
Satter said:
Just as baddies is about to swing at you, hold down the right trigger and x button at the same time.

I just finished the game. Where the heck is the ending? Vidic just says "Don't get confortable, Mr. Meyers. We'll be back." Then I looked at a punch of stupid symbols all over the room and above his bed. Is that it???

Ending
Thats' all I saw too and then nothing. I think that's it. After playing Mass Effect this game became quite lame. Should've finished it first before starting up ME.

JB1981

This ended up being one of my favorite games of the year. A seriously flawed diamond, but definitely a compelling experiment that pushes platforming in new and innovative directions. It's going to be hard to go back to traditional platforming after playing this. I eagerly await the sequel. Anyone who claims Crackdown is more satisfying than this game is clearly out of their minds. I can actually see myself going back through the game again to see just how stealthily I can pull off certain assassinations. I even enjoy going after some of the achievements.

Anyone know if the soundtrack is available on iTunes? The score is amazing.

The most amusing thing I ran into so far:

Guards were chasing me, I went and hid in one of those huts on top of a building.

A guard also went up the roof, lost me, so he turned around to go back to his post, but fell off the building instead.

The next guard came back and saw the dead guard and shouted, "Alright, who did this?!?"

reilo

gettergooey said:
The most amusing thing I ran into so far:

Guards were chasing me, I went and hid in one of those huts on top of a building.

A guard also went up the roof, lost me, so he turned around to go back to his post, but fell off the building instead.

The next guard came back and saw the dead guard and shouted, "Alright, who did this?!?"

Yeaaaah... let me add a #7 to my list: Improved AI. When you try to pick-pocket someone, they just go around in a scripted path and loop it until you get the item off of them. Yeah... improve that Ubi.

chespace said:
I agree, AC has more impressive graphics than Uncharted by far. Both games look properly next-gen (as well as their awful moments) and are great examples of where visuals are today, but AC is simply amazing graphically.
I agree, Assassins Creed was better by far. Better tearing, better frame slowdown, better blurry and repeated textures, and an absolutely amazing amount of rehashed animations during fight scenes.

I mean, I know uncharted has good texture work and this new animation layering, but I much prefer the choppy and disjointed look of Assassins Creed, and the uninvolved platforming that requires little effort.

Just saying."By Far".

:lol

JB1981 said:
Well, that was necessary.

Then again, you are trolling Che, so maybe it was.

Nah, I know he has his tastes, which are almost certainly 360 oriented, but it's just funny that he tossed in 'by far'.

I honestly couldn't help it, well, I could have, but it was much more entertaining to bring up the things that AC does far worse than Uncharted (or better?) than it was to simply say 'by far' as he has, yet provide little to really back that up.

Either way, this is not really the thread for that. By far.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
About the sequel and ending:

Does anyone think it will have anything to do with test Subject 16? I would love to play as an assassin in ancient feudal Japan.

Oh and did anyone ever figure out who Leila was? I read all the emails but never quite figured that out.

Great game, but the last few battles in the game were kinda underwhelming. Overall though, fantastic game and I think Ubi could improve the game tenfold with the sequel if done right.

JB1981 said:
This ended up being one of my favorite games of the year. A seriously flawed diamond, but definitely a compelling experiment that pushes platforming in new and innovative directions. It's going to be hard to go back to traditional platforming after playing this. I eagerly await the sequel. Anyone who claims Crackdown is more satisfying than this game is clearly out of their minds.

Performance and integrity plays a big role here, and while not on a technical level pushing anywhere near as much, the design of Crackdown felt like this very solid and therefore believable game world. The motion here though is obviously a few steps above the simple jump and jump some more mechanics of Crackdown which makes it a lot more satisfying to scale buildings. The free running feels better than I thought it would. And of course Crackdown eventually fell flat due to relative invincibility and lack of variety in mission execution, haven't experienced that in AC so far.

Not sure I see what's so innovative about the platforming here though, care to explain? In fact, nothing so far has echoed the comments about great ambition and new ideas, but then I've only just reached Damascus.

JB1981 said:
This ended up being one of my favorite games of the year. A seriously flawed diamond, but definitely a compelling experiment that pushes platforming in new and innovative directions. It's going to be hard to go back to traditional platforming after playing this. I eagerly await the sequel. Anyone who claims Crackdown is more satisfying than this game is clearly out of their minds. I can actually see myself going back through the game again to see just how stealthily I can pull off certain assassinations. I even enjoy going after some of the achievements.

Anyone know if the soundtrack is available on iTunes? The score is amazing.

My problem with the platforming was that it actually felt really boring.

I would have preferred a really easy 'timing' window to free run and jump around things, rather than simply holding 2 buttons and running in any direction.

It felt more like I was pointing, instead of actually climbing.

What I do think was revolutionary, however, was the scope of objects you can climb, just not the way that you were able to climb them. Something a bit more involved and 'fun' would have been better IMO, as you feel really...uninvolved? I keep using that word, but there's really nothing I can think of to better describe the feeling I got.

zam

reilo said:
Yeaaaah... let me add a #7 to my list: Improved AI. When you try to pick-pocket someone, they just go around in a scripted path and loop it until you get the item off of them. Yeah... improve that Ubi.
Yeah, also several times after saving a citizen, after they thanked me and I was going away, they would look at the pile of bodies and say "Who could have done such a thing?". I did bitch!! I just saved your ass from four guys!

The chatter from the citizens is starting to get on my nerves, makes me wish I could just slap them around while yelling "I would do such a thing because I'm a crazy motherfucker, ya heard?", and then after that they would stop yapping about it.

Even worse is when a fellow assassin questions my free running methods.

StranGER

Zapages said:
All those ideas were cut due time constraints from my understanding... Sad but true...

Hopefully the sequel will have them plus swimming. -_-

yes, swimming is a must. how cool would it be to swim under and pop up at the edge grabbing some guy yanking him back into the water with ablade at his throat to disperse him and swim away leaving food for the fishes.

MCD

Even with all the flaws and frustrating shit.

i love this game, mainly due to climbing.

they need to make a climbing simulator :lol

MCD

Yes, tearing is pretty noticeable at Maseyaf and while sprinting/escaping from guards, not all the time though.

TTG

Bildi said:
All are good ideas but I like these two of yours in particular. My input:

Eagle vision - in order to avoid it turning into a first person game, allow a normal first person view for looking around when you are still, but then have a separate eagle vision that you can turn on in first person view and then you can move around with it on. Would make searching out assassination targets for the informer missions much easier if you aren't using the map.

Assassinations and attacks from above - You should be able to lock on and attack any enemy from any position, including hanging on the side of a building or just standing on top of the building. The current move that allows you to jump and assassinate doesn't work well for me because it relies too much on the target being the exact correct distance from you. And it doesn't work during save citizen missions. Even if you can't assassinate from above, just being able to get a sword slash in as you land on them would be great.

1. After you come out of eagle vision, the different colors stay as you move around for maybe 10-20 seconds. Helped me in the later missions where you would get say 5 "elite" guards to assassinate in 3 minutes. You can use eagle vision to quickly pick them out of the crowd.

2. So true. They should of atleast added a move like in Splinter Cell to take out the archers. You could be hanging off a wall and as a guard walks up from the other side you would either kill them or throw them over.

BlueTsunami

McDragon said:
Even with all the flaws and frustrating shit.

i love this game, mainly due to climbing.

they need to make a climbing simulator :lol

A pure SoTC'esque game (with the AC engine) where the world is just made up of mountains and crags you platform on and hidden areas (also Monsters) would absofuckenlutely rock.

m0dus said:
Didn't notice much tearing anywhere besides Maseyaf, didn't have more than 1 or 2 isolated issues of slowdown, and the fighting was smooth as hell, if a bit repetitive.

by far. :p

SHUT UP AND MAKE MORE THEMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....The engine is really quirky. On occasion, I'll load up the game, and everything is all peaches, I'll come back the next day, and it'll lock at around 15....and I have to reset it to get it to run well again.

conman

Discovered yet another reason this game is designed to be played without gps or map (I'm putting this in spoiler tags because if you're like me you might like to figure this stuff out on your own):

I feel stupid for not noticing this before, but in the memory log, you can see a picture of your information target and his location. Usually there's some sort of landmark or architectural feature that will help you find his location.

If you're having a hard time playing with the HUD, this should keep you from having to run around the city blindly looking for some of the more hidden information sources.

Top Bottom