• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

AniHawk

I find it really weird that the 360 and Wii versions of GH III managed to make the top 10, but the most popular version of the four (the PS2 one) did not.

Anyway, some LTDs:

PS2: 41.39m
NDS: 17.9m
PSP: 10.7m
360: 9.38m
Wii: 7.65m
PS3: 3.52m

Call of Duty 4 360: 3,370,900

Wii Play: 4,408,996
Super Mario Galaxy: 2,692,000

Ltd:
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: 626,000
Carnival Games: 655,000
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles: 300,000
Guitar Hero III (Wii): 1,5 M.
Wii Play: 4.4 million

itsgreen

professor_t said:
Wii, Xbox shortages, plain and simple. I don't understand the shock and awe.

Beginning of the end you know, only 5k less than Wii, that means next month the Triple will overtake the Wii!

TwinsDad

Aside from the obvious shortage comment, and WOW or Dayumnn.

So many PS3 sales due to the Blu-Ray support announcements?

ith3r

Banned
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 1 330.9K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 2 298.1K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ WIREACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 3 239.6K
360 ROCK BAND SPECIAL ED BUNDLE MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS NOV 2007 TEEN (T) 4 183.8K
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ WIREACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 5 182.7K
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 6 172K
360 BURNOUT PARADISE ELECTRONIC ARTS JAN 2008 EVERYONE 10+ (E10+) 7 144.1K
PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 8 140K
NDS MARIO PARTY NINTENDO OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 9 138.5K
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA JAN 2008 EVERYONE (E) 10 133K

OMG 360 is DOOMED

Guy Legend said:
Video game hardware sales in January were below the market's expectations. Total hardware units came in at 1.227 million units, 23.86% below the market's expected 1.611 million units.

This pretty much explains everything right there.

Bring on February!

Talamius

If I'm Sony I'm on the phone with T2 right now seeing what it would take to bundle GTA4 with PS3 in April (for a system cost as low as possible). Pay T2 what they want and strike while the iron is hot. $299 (or even $249) would be perfect.

If Microsoft has screwed up SKU production (HD-DVD? Massing Arcades and H3s while under-producing Pros and Elites?) as bad as some think then this is the perfect opportunity to seize a foothold.

It's worth eating a bit of a loss if it means reversing the trend in the US.

besada

Banned
a) Where's the "real" thread?
b) Nice sales for Sony.
c) Why isn't the PS2 listed?
d) Where's the "real" thread?

Kosma

Banned
empire-strikes-back.jpg

mozfan12

Banned
Nice to see PS3 gain some ground but they still need to push their software more. There is only one PS3 game in the top ten while 360 is still domating on the software front.

Oh and Rock Band, FUK YEAH

Odysseus

Banned
shortages can explain the wii and ds for sure and the 360 to an extent, but ps3 did pretty darn well. pretty darn well, indeed.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I'll give this a nice spin:

The only reason PS3 outsold the 360 was because there were thousands of unsold consoles, so people, without being able to find 360's or Wii, bought the remaining PS3s.

I am being sarcastic, if someone's meter is broken

10xzofo.jpg

Now to sum up the rest of the thread.

PS3 Fans: It begins lulz
360 Fans: Shortages lulz, Software lulz
Wii Fans: Shortages lulz

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm wondering if the demo to Burnout Paradise worked against it.

I'm glad it didn't do well; its a great game but a step in the wrong direction for the series. I pray to the gaming gods we never get another sandbox-paradise again.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jammy said:
Looks like software for PS3 still doesn't sell worth a shit, though. :lol

It's PSP all over again.

Adjusting for userbase size, CoD4 more than pulled its weight on PS3 v 360.

We'll have to wait and see about Burnout. But, again, to sell in line with the 360 while normalising for userbase size, it wouldn't have hit the top 10 anyway (I figure ~50k would see it in line with the 360..adjusting for userbase).

Anyway, like I said in the other thread, I think MS didn't fair too badly despite their supply. Their numbers are basically in line with last Jan, given that this was 4 weeks instead of 5. I doubt they would have sold a crapton more (like 300k). PS3 did well regardless, I was expecting both it and 360 to be around the 200-220k mark.

BboyDubC

haunts said:
10 year plan bitches.

Dang, didn't know you were a fanboy. It was clear that 360 had shortages. You couldn't find one anywhere, even here in the bay.

See ya saturday

And I wouldn't get too excited about the PS3 number, it's only 20K more than what they sold in January of last year. And improvement is an improvement, but it's still on the small side.

Top Bottom